• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 on Switch - DF Tech Review - A Great Game with Polish & Performance Issues

Kataploom

Gold Member
470p though makes what would otherwise be a nice looking game just plain bad. Also, it's literally hard to see Bayonetta at times so it does affect gameplay too.
It's hard to see Bayonetta even at 720p on a sub-HD TV (I know because I'm playing Bayo 2 like that right now), that's something that the franchise has carried with since the beginning... I know the lower resolution worsen that but that's only on handheld, on TV the resolution is larger than even previous games... I'd wish they stayed on 720p tho...

Esppiral

Good bless emulation, saving us from the cheap Nintendo Hardware.

unknown_2022.10.30-16.44.png

unknown_2022.10.30-16.42.png

unknown_2022.10.30-16.48_1.png

I'm not a FPS nazi, but I can't with such bad looking environments. This feels like a project in which they wanted to save their work from Scalebound, despite the hardware being 1 or 2 generations behind.

btw I still like the looks of Bayo2. This is simply less pleasant to look at imo.

Last edited:

Keihart

I only play Switch in handheld and this is so bad in handheld. What a shame. What are the chances that with enough pressure the devs put out a patch to improve the resolution? Probably nil, right? There's no way any of us couldbe predicted this low ofa res considering Bayo 2 looks sharp and fantastic in handheld mode.

I feel bamboozled a little bit by Nintendo. Why wouldn't Nintendo work closely with Platinum on such an important exclusive? 470p is awful!

I'm not exactly in love with the changes to gameplay either. The Demon summoning is stupid there's no skill involved with that. I shpuld try playing on hard.

Let's not forget this is not Ninja Gaiden Black, this is Bayonetta, it has never been that hard is all about the combo potencial and espectacle, that combo potencial and spectacle there is.
Yes, expert is basically normal, same shit for Bayo 2 tho, only the first one had a real normal normal.

The Kaijus are super well implemented into the combat. The first game allowed bayonetta to fight the big enemies with a lot of freedom, feature that for some reason is completly removed in bayonneta 2 where they make big anemies get sucked into the floor after a jump reset and not only that, witch time lasts so little that you have to do some weird shit to get big enemies of the ground, it's possible but you are completly bounded to your magic bar and umbran climax wich is kinda restrictive and dumb at the end.

The idea of bayonetta using bigger wicked weaves to fighter bigger enemies stays but umbran climax gets trashed, which i applaud because it was garbage. now you can jump reset big enemies and the conditions to get them off the ground are similar to bayonetta one, get into witch time, break their armor if they are armored and you can juggle them to hell and back, not only that , magic bar is not an issue anymore if you are aggresive enough and avoid damage and kaijus are able to launch enemies even outside witch time, shit is great.

Also, no more dumb random parries, some enemies have telegraphed dodges and reversals like Jeanne did on 1, which feels super fair, no more fucking combo breakers.
there is so much new shit to play with, it's nuts.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Cryio

The game is a technical mess, true. But y'all need to chill with "480p is unacceptable".

On a 720p, using FSR2 on Quality or hell, even Balanced, is PLENTY fine. It's only when there's no AA or there's FXAA or even MSAA when 480p and lower is kinda meh. But FSR2? That's great.

winjer

Gold Member
The game is a technical mess, true. But y'all need to chill with "480p is unacceptable".

On a 720p, using FSR2 on Quality or hell, even Balanced, is PLENTY fine. It's only when there's no AA or there's FXAA or even MSAA when 480p and lower is kinda meh. But FSR2? That's great.

The Switch can't use FSR2.x.
The overhead alone would drop the performance even further.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

So I have my switch oled and tons of games I've bought legally including bayonetta 3. Am I legally allowed to play this in an emulator now I own it? Is there a way to dump my cartridge onto my PC? I should Google it I guess. I've not bothered with switch emulation but I'm tempted for this game.

winjer

Gold Member
So I have my switch oled and tons of games I've bought legally including bayonetta 3. Am I legally allowed to play this in an emulator now I own it? Is there a way to dump my cartridge onto my PC? I should Google it I guess. I've not bothered with switch emulation but I'm tempted for this game.

Emulation is legal, as long as you own the originals.
In legal terms, the most complicated issue is the bios.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good bless emulation, saving us from the cheap Nintendo Hardware.

unknown_2022.10.30-16.44.png

unknown_2022.10.30-16.42.png

unknown_2022.10.30-16.48_1.png

Still looks pretty bad. It's just not a good looking game at its core, the Switch just makes it even worse.
Yeah, the problem isnt just the resolution, it's that the overall level of detail is simply not up to par with other Switch games let alone PS4 or even PS3 era games. I have played some stunning Switch games like Mario Rabbids, Zelda Links Awakening, and even Metroid Dread. But the scale of this game is simply too large for switch to handle with grace and the result is a fugly looking game devoid of any detail in ANY level. Now, I LOVE the fact that they didnt let the switch come between them and their ambitious vision for this game, but my goodness there has to be some kind of quality control over at Nintendo because this is looking worse than PS3 games.

e8a72538fe5b0bf71a6b2863a3e7fb4f--video-games-environment.jpg

d9zhqr6-b218632e-ced2-4274-adc8-ceab8c603796.jpg

d9zi0zy-107756c7-5a2e-4af3-8b84-93ebf249f741.jpg

I looked at Scalebound and my god it looks next gen. As in PS5 XSX era next gen. Way too ambitious for the xbox one's 1.3 tflops spec. Metal Gear Rising looks better than Bayonetta despite having the same massive scale as Bayonetta toppling skyscrapers and destroying entire cities. Whats clear is that the Switch is holding back this game because PG are still incredibly talented and its frustrating that only Nintendo gets how talented this studio is because MS and Sony shouldve been the one to greenlight this game, or Metal Gear Rising 2, or Scalebound. This is a phenomenal studio that is doing things in Bayonetta 3 we likely wont see God of War do on the PS5. Scale is amazing but its too much for the Switch.

shiru

Banned
Yeah, the problem isnt just the resolution, it's that the overall level of detail is simply not up to par with other Switch games let alone PS4 or even PS3 era games. I have played some stunning Switch games like Mario Rabbids, Zelda Links Awakening, and even Metroid Dread. But the scale of this game is simply too large for switch to handle with grace and the result is a fugly looking game devoid of any detail in ANY level. Now, I LOVE the fact that they didnt let the switch come between them and their ambitious vision for this game, but my goodness there has to be some kind of quality control over at Nintendo because this is looking worse than PS3 games.

I looked at Scalebound and my god it looks next gen. As in PS5 XSX era next gen. Way too ambitious for the xbox one's 1.3 tflops spec. Metal Gear Rising looks better than Bayonetta despite having the same massive scale as Bayonetta toppling skyscrapers and destroying entire cities. Whats clear is that the Switch is holding back this game because PG are still incredibly talented and its frustrating that only Nintendo gets how talented this studio is because MS and Sony shouldve been the one to greenlight this game, or Metal Gear Rising 2, or Scalebound. This is a phenomenal studio that is doing things in Bayonetta 3 we likely wont see God of War do on the PS5. Scale is amazing but its too much for the Switch.
Why are you posting bullshots (or perhaps pics from the Uncharted Collection with remastered graphics on PS4) to prove a switch game looks worse than a ps3 game from one of the most technically accomplished studios in the industry? Quit it with the hyperbole, barring some garish low res effects & dither, the graphic quality is acceptable for switch.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Why are you posting bullshots (or perhaps pics from the Uncharted Collection with remastered graphics on PS4) to prove a switch game looks worse than a ps3 game from one of the most technically accomplished studios in the industry? Quit it with the hyperbole, barring some garish low res effects, the graphic quality is acceptable for switch.
none of those are bullshots and the bayonetta pics posted were literally running at native 4k on PC. Even if these pics are from the uncharted remaster which i dont know they are. i simply google uncharted 2 and uncharted 3, but even if they are, they are maxed out at 1080p. They are the same textures. Same level of detail in the environments. These are remasters, not remakes that got a complete graphics overhaul.

The whole point of my post starting from the very first sentence is that it is NOT about resolution, but about LEVEL OF DETAIL which is completely lacking in every single level of bayonetta. The fact that you thought those ingame screens of Uncharted were bullshots simply proves my point about the level of detail abundant in those PS3 era games. Switch is supposed to be more powerful than the Wii U which was supposed to be more powerful than the PS3.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
none of those are bullshots and the bayonetta pics posted were literally running at native 4k on PC. Even if these pics are from the uncharted remaster which i dont know they are. i simply google uncharted 2 and uncharted 3, but even if they are, they are maxed out at 1080p.

The whole point of my post starting from the very first sentence is that it is NOT about resolution, but about LEVEL OF DETAIL which is completely lacking in every single level of bayonetta.
Yes, those are from the Uncharted Collection, which had highly enhanced graphics and level of detail across the board, including much higher draw distance, higher resolution, better antialiasing, better texture filtering, higher res textures and effects, and better lighting & shadows. The PS3 version of the games looked NOWHERE NEAR as good and had a lot of aliasing. You thought no one was gonna notice?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yes, those are from the Uncharted Collection, which had highly enhanced graphics and level of detail across the board, including much higher draw distance, higher resolution, better antialiasing, better texture filtering, higher res textures and effects, and better lighting & shadows. The PS3 version of the games looked NOWHERE NEAR as good and had a lot of aliasing. You thought no one was gonna notice?
Nonsense. Everyone who has played these games on the PS3 knows how good they looked and i am talking about the level of detail. Higher res, better AA, better AF is not going to magically add MORE DETAIL to the game which is precisely why I made the Bayonetta 3 4k PC COMPARISON. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Here is the stupid PS3 footage. Go compare it to the Bayonetta 4k 60 fps with 16X AF and MSAA and tell me if there is more detail in those bayonetta screenshots.

shiru

Banned
Nonsense. Everyone who has played these games on the PS3 knows how good they looked and i am talking about the level of detail. Higher res, better AA, better AF is not going to magically add MORE DETAIL to the game which is precisely why I made the Bayonetta 3 4k PC COMPARISON. Why is this so hard for you to understand?
Why are you ignoring the other enhancements like textures, draw distance, lighting etc? What an absolute clown.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Why did you left out the rest of the enhancements? What an absolute clown.
Use your eyes. The videos of the PS3 version I posted have the same AMOUNT OF DETAIL in the levels compared the screenshots. This is not about resolution you numbnut.

Now you are literally using cutscene comparisons which were prerendered on the PS3 lmao. I posted GAMEPLAY screenshots which you dismissed because you thought they were bullshots and now you are literally posting ACTUAL bullshots.

IN GAME The level of detail is virtually the same. Use your brain.

uncharted3_.jpg

Exact same textures. Exact same number of foliage. Same models. Same number of trees. Same lighting. And regardless, none of this matters. You were given the PS3 VIDEO footage of ALL three screenshots I posted to compare against Bayonetta in native 4k and you are ignoring that and posting DIFFERENT comparisons from the PS4 versions? Why? Why move the goalpost? LOOK at the PS3 footage.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Dear God.

I also just noticed higher fidelity meshes in the UC comparison video. Check out the building next to Drake at 5:30, and how the curvature of the structure and sphere on top look more rounded in the remaster. There are many more enhancements beyond resolution.

Last edited:

mrcroket

Use your eyes. The videos of the PS3 version I posted have the same AMOUNT OF DETAIL in the levels compared the screenshots. This is not about resolution you numbnut.

Now you are literally using cutscene comparisons which were prerendered on the PS3 lmao. I posted GAMEPLAY screenshots which you dismissed because you thought they were bullshots and now you are literally posting ACTUAL bullshots.

IN GAME The level of detail is virtually the same. Use your brain.

uncharted3_.jpg

Exact same textures. Exact same number of foliage. Same models. Same number of trees. Same lighting. And regardless, none of this matters. You were given the PS3 VIDEO footage of ALL three screenshots I posted to compare against Bayonetta in native 4k and you are ignoring that and posting DIFFERENT comparisons from the PS4 versions? Why? Why move the goalpost? LOOK at the PS3 footage.
But this comparation is stupid, you can't compare platinum games with naughty dog in technnical stuff, why not compare bayonetta1 ps3 vs switch version?

SlimySnake

But this comparation is stupid, you can't compare platinum games with naughty dog in technnical stuff, why not compare bayonetta1 ps3 vs switch version?
Because I already conceded that point in my original post when I stated this:
It's obvious to anyone actually playing this game that the game looks so bad because of Bayonetta 3's massive scale and level design simply requiring them to pair back detail in other places. The point is that the game is too big for the switch.

And I did make comparisons with PG's PS3 era games like Metal Gear Rising.

Metal Gear Rising looks better than Bayonetta despite having the same massive scale as Bayonetta toppling skyscrapers and destroying entire cities.
Doesnt look as good as Uncharted, but looks way better than Bayonetta 3.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Edit: lmao what happened to the stupid Xbox quote?

i believe this stamement is off for a couple reasons, first let me say Bayonetta 3 has performance/IQ issues, specially on Docked wich i believe will be improved on a future version at least. And im not a Digital Foundry expert but this is what i think is happening:

When people say stuff like "Bayonetta 3 looks like a PS2/GameCube/Xbox game!" they are implying it is some kind of low effort production, that something went very 'wrong' with this project, wich is simply not the case, Bayonetta 3 is not some low budget release, it has very detailed animation work(the likes an Xbox or even 360 would only dream of running), expanded features, an amazing soundtrack and content, yes detailed models as well, its simply tailored to portable hardware.

Then there are heavy gameplay and visuals changes in Bayo 3 compared to the previous games, the environments are 3x as big as the previous Bayonetta, to fit the Demon Slave mechanic and expand exploration,it requires to stress the hardware, they COULD had done something else with the tech considering their limitations, like make the game run at 30fps like many Switch games, or drop the Demon Slave entirely and release a slightly prettier Bayonetta 2, but it wouldn't have been such an ambitious Bayonetta game,and plenty of gamers would complain the same because they are still dealing with handheld Switch graphics 🤷🏻‍♂️, instead on betting on the visuals to sell this game, Platinum bet everything on the Demon Slave mechanics.

Lets see if it pays off, people are gonna see Bayonetta's demons breaking havoc and may find it fun

Finally, i find it a little ironic because graphics and prestige alone couldn't sell Bayonetta, when it released 12 years ago with comparable visuals to other releases,most gamers didn't bought it in favor of other big games.

If Bayonetta 3 sells today, its simply because its a good videogame,that people want to play on their little game tablet. nothing more, and nothing less.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
blah blah blah
Just admit you were trying to dishonestly pass off a PS4 remaster as a PS3 game. The game doesn't look "identical bar resolution". Nevermind that the Uncharted games ran at a lower framerate on ps3 than Bayonetta 3. The point was never that the games didn't look good or even better than Bayo 3. But that those images don't accurately represent how it looked on ps3.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm surprised this topic has gone this long without a mod editing the title.

John does not say the game looks like an Xbox 1 game, he said some of the textures resolution and quality resembles an Xbox 1 game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Switch hardware has really gotta go. I've stopped buying games for the thing because of the consistently shoddy performance, but I hope that some of the games that seem promising like this get a second bite at the apple on a (hopefully) less anemic Switch 2.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Bayonetta 3 looks like dogshit, and even then can barely touch 60fps. It’s exactly the type of game that needs a decent frame rate, and it’s held back bigtime by old man Nintendo.

The “it’s only the size of a tablet” excuse doesn’t cut it anymore. My phone kicks the shit out of the Switch.

Esppiral

Nice bullshots.

i believe this stamement is off for a couple reasons, first let me say Bayonetta 3 has performance/IQ issues, specially on Docked wich i believe will be improved on a future version at least. And im not a Digital Foundry expert but this is what i think is happening:

When people say stuff like "Bayonetta 3 looks like a PS2/GameCube/Xbox game!" they are implying it is some kind of low effort production, that something went very 'wrong' with this project, wich is simply not the case, Bayonetta 3 is not some low budget release, it has very detailed animation work(the likes an Xbox or even 360 would only dream of running), expanded features, an amazing soundtrack and content, yes detailed models as well, its simply tailored to portable hardware.

Then there are heavy gameplay and visuals changes in Bayo 3 compared to the previous games, the environments are 3x as big as the previous Bayonetta, to fit the Demon Slave mechanic and expand exploration,it requires to stress the hardware, they COULD had done something else with the tech considering their limitations, like make the game run at 30fps like many Switch games, or drop the Demon Slave entirely and release a slightly prettier Bayonetta 2, but it wouldn't have been such an ambitious Bayonetta game,and plenty of gamers would complain the same because they are still dealing with handheld Switch graphics 🤷🏻‍♂️, instead on betting on the visuals to sell this game, Platinum bet everything on the Demon Slave mechanics.

Lets see if it pays off, people are gonna see Bayonetta's demons breaking havoc and may find it fun

Finally, i find it a little ironic because graphics and prestige alone couldn't sell Bayonetta, when it released 12 years ago with comparable visuals to other releases,most gamers didn't bought it in favor of other big games.

If Bayonetta 3 sells today, its simply because its a good videogame,that people want to play on their little game tablet. nothing more, and nothing less.

Bayonetta 3 is a low budget effort, just in comparison to other similar PS3 games. It looks horrible in 4K, where you can see just how low quality all the textures/details are

Kataploom

Gold Member
Bayonetta 3 is a low budget effort, just in comparison to other similar PS3 games. It looks horrible in 4K, where you can see just how low quality all the textures/details are
Well... yeah... It's gonna look bad on a 4K TV since the Switch isn't meant to be played on a 4K TV set, maybe?... I mean, the TV people choose to see their content has nothing to do with Nintendo or the Switch beyond the fact Nintendo optimized Switch for 1080p screens. When Switch was designed 4K wasn't even on the radar for most people (and even today it isn't).

I'll probably wait until next year to see if they release a more powerful version before buying B3 btw, but I'm seeing it harder everytime since I've enjoyed quite a lot of B2 this past weekend... There are rumors of Platinum having a different Switch build since seems to be running better on previous trailers which could mean nothing or something

Played this this morning on my 4k tv and it was fine. I get much more irritated by frame drops on my PC than I do playing on a tv with a controller on switch. It is all about expectation coordination. The game plays really well.

Astral Dog

i already tried to explain why the game looks the way it does, this same studio, released Astral Chain a few years ago, one of the Switch most prominent tech showcases but one that runs at 30fps with some drops, below the target of Bayonetta 3, without the giant demon battles and with way smaller environments.

Do i think Nintendo underbudgeted Bayonetta 3 compared to Astral Chain? Nah🤭 because Bayonetta 3 actually has higher production values than the first two games,in terms of animation quality, content, gameplay mechanics, features,even the soundtrack (that amazing track at the credits 👏) Bayonetta 3 surpasses the previous games in the series, and all (well, almost all) of the cutscenes are fully animated this time, and they look Godly, this project wasn't half assed.

But of course, one would need to actually play the fucking game to notice

Bayonetta 3 does have tech issues, but the reactions are overdramatic, i don't think its that different from Astral Chain where most flaws would be fixed without much work by porting the game to next generation, as the actual content and engine is high quality.

Its not some Cyberpunk, Rune Factory 5,Gotham Knights or whatever situation

Last edited:
Well... yeah... It's gonna look bad on a 4K TV since the Switch isn't meant to be played on a 4K TV set, maybe?... I mean, the TV people choose to see their content has nothing to do with Nintendo or the Switch beyond the fact Nintendo optimized Switch for 1080p screens. When Switch was designed 4K wasn't even on the radar for most people (and even today it isn't).

I'll probably wait until next year to see if they release a more powerful version before buying B3 btw, but I'm seeing it harder everytime since I've enjoyed quite a lot of B2 this past weekend... There are rumors of Platinum having a different Switch build since seems to be running better on previous trailers which could mean nothing or something

Where did I say 4k TV? The Switch game is around 800p

I was talking about using an emulator to upscale the textures and such, where you can see how bad it looks

Last edited:

radewagon

Whats clear is that the Switch is holding back this game because PG are still incredibly talented and its frustrating that only Nintendo gets how talented this studio is because MS and Sony shouldve been the one to greenlight this game, or Metal Gear Rising 2, or Scalebound. This is a phenomenal studio that is doing things in Bayonetta 3 we likely wont see God of War do on the PS5. Scale is amazing but its too much for the Switch.
I'm sorry, but I'm calling foul on all these claims of the Switch being to blame. Nope. This is Platinum's mess. They have made quite a few titles by now. They know exactly what the Switch is capable of. They aren't new to this. I refuse to believe that they couldn't make a game that performs and looks as good as their own Bayonetta title that preceded this one because of the aging Switch hardware. They did it before, they should be able to do it again. They just failed at doing so. Sub-480p is not a problem with the Switch. It's a problem with a studio not properly optimizing their title and disregarding the limitations of the hardware they are releasing for.

Keihart

Because I already conceded that point in my original post when I stated this:

It's obvious to anyone actually playing this game that the game looks so bad because of Bayonetta 3's massive scale and level design simply requiring them to pair back detail in other places. The point is that the game is too big for the switch.

And I did make comparisons with PG's PS3 era games like Metal Gear Rising.

Doesnt look as good as Uncharted, but looks way better than Bayonetta 3.
eh, game looks alright, it performs more than acceptable too wich was the most important stuff.

You cant compare the level of scale on Bayo 3 with things like MGR, MGR is super linear and there is barely anything on screen at once, Bayo 3 has so much shit going on that the low res textures on some buildings and whatever or LOD jumping like crazy when you zip around is hardly a big deal, Bayonetta's, enemies and effects details are good enough and even beautiful during combat.

Would the game look better with better resolution overall? sure, but still, it does look better than any other Bayonetta game before it.
The animations alone are some crazy level of bullshit, im surprised that the swtich itself hasn't caught fire yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom