• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

XenoRaven

Dartastic said:
Goddamnit. I'm in San Fran. Anyone have any luck here? Maybe I'll get the Elk Grove one to call the SF one... :lol
Oh shit. Thanks for quoting that. I'm calling to see if they still have it on 360 today.

andymcc

Banned
if you call best buy, they're going to just search their computers at the service desk and it's gonna show the street date... you're not really gonna know if they have it.

XenoRaven

Hmm...Elk Grove is kinda out of the way. I wouldn't want to go all that way if they don't have it.

Then again, I DO wake up every morning wishing it was the 5th. I'll have to go check it out.

Dartastic

Dude at the Best Buy in Sf said they have ten 360 copies on hand. Just went to the back to check.I'm waiting at the 360 isle. Selll it to meeeeee!

God damn it. The guy couldn't. They even said that they had it out at one time!

Montreal is a wash. Gamezone in Verdun was selling it, but they ran out, and won't get more until at least Jan 3rd. Everybody else is sitting on the copies laughing at me and I just wanna jump the counter and choke them.

DSC02093-721959.jpg

ShockingAlberto said:
People have all sorts of weird "If they're not a muscular white American male, I can't relate to them" issues.

heh I wonder if western devs actually tailor games around this concept if it's supported by market research. Capcom beefed up the guy in re5 + added a female sidekick (best of both worlds?)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My store got their copies in (street dated). 3 for 360, 3 for PS3. Darksiders? 10 for both platforms.

I wonder if Bayonetta will even outsell Darksiders in the US. =x

Tokubetsu

Kintaro said:
My store got their copies in (street dated). 3 for 360, 3 for PS3. Darksiders? 10 for both platforms.

I wonder if Bayonetta will even outsell Darksiders in the US. =x

I hope both do well but I'm kinda pulling more for Darksiders :lol I've got a like a 4 year nerd investment there!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Dahbomb said:
This is hardly a surprise... as superficial as it is for a game of this caliber, having a bad ass male protagonist for Bayonetta instead of a female would've resulted in higher sales.

A lot of these types of games for gamers is an escapism into being a bad ass and slay epic demons/monsters with general bad assery. This is the secret of the success of God of War. It is therapeutic but in order for that to happen the player has to WANT to be like the main character. People want to wield godly powers and be an anti-hero while killing demons to save the world. When the genre appeals to the male demographic the most it only makes sense that they will relate less to a female protagonist.

Don't get me wrong, I am getting Bayonetta Day 0 (pre-ordered) but I could never really relate to Bayonetta nor would I ever want to be like her nor would I like to have a girl friend with the same "qualities" as her. This is going to be like that for many other people so I would tell you guys to brace for it now.

Posts like this are fucking retarded. My characters in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age are female. My main in Street Fighter IV is female. I play as Zoey and Rochelle in L4D. I play as Lilith in Borderlands.

Games are escapism, you're right. So if I can play as a female, why not do it? I'm not my characters in game. I make them move with a controller. When I play DMC, I'm not Dante. Dante is Dante. Bayonetta is Bayonetta.

And shit, I love my 80s manly movies as much as the next guy if not more, in fact. But seriously, that line of thinking is fucking miserable.

I find it odd alot of you are getting these at bestbuys. No EBgames/Gamestop or Bestbuy has EVER broken the street date within 100km of me, to my knowledge. Wal-mart either.

hulot

TheCardPlayer said:
Posts like this are fucking retarded. My characters in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age are female. My main in Street Fighter IV is female. I play as Zoey and Rochelle in L4D. I play as Lilith in Borderlands.

Games are escapism, you're right. So if I can play as a female, why not do it? I'm not my characters in game. I make them move with a controller. When I play DMC, I'm not Dante. Dante is Dante. Bayonetta is Bayonetta.

And shit, I love my 80s manly movies as much as the next guy if not more, in fact. But seriously, that line of thinking is fucking miserable.
Ease up. The guy you're quoting is on your side. If you read into the context, you'd understand that there was a discussion about how some people (someone mentioned preorder cancellations at their local Gamestop after dudebro's saw a commercial for the game) might be turned off by Bayonetta and see it as a threat to their masculinity.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TheCardPlayer said:

No, his post was right on the money. Look at the advertising for the games you mentioned. Dragon Age? The focus was on the male Grey Warden. Street Fighter? Ryu is the "main character". Oblivion/Fallout? Well, most people would probably peg the guy on the cover of Fallout 3 as male and the guy on the back of Oblivion is a male. Cover of Borderlands? One of the male bad guys. 3 dudes to one girl. L4D? 3 dudes, 1 girl.

Whether right or wrong, that's just the way things are perceived in the minds of gamers. Since the majority of them are still male... <shrugs>.

Sorry if this has been asked before but, is the ps3 demo a good representation of how the final game works in terms of framerate and slowdown? Because as far as I´ve seen it plays totally fine but in the ign review they complain a lot about it. Maybe it´s just on the later levels when things might get much busier, I don´t know.

The character of Bayonetta is amazing btw, why aren´t all girls like that?

Sorry if this has been asked before but, is the ps3 demo a good representation of how the final game works in terms of framerate and slowdown? Because as far as I´ve seen it plays totally fine but in the ign review they complain a lot about it. Maybe it´s just on the later levels when things might get much busier, I don´t know.

I thought the PS3 demo was fine until I played the 360. I'm sure you'll be fine with it as long as you don't compare the two. From what I understand, the demo is pretty indicitive of how the final game performs.

If you have a choice however, go 360.

bytesized said:
. . .is the ps3 demo a good representation of how the final game works in terms of framerate and slowdown?

PS3 is a good representation of a poor port. But if you haven't got a 360 it doesn't really matter.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ps3 version is fine. 360 version is obviously better, but not to the point of the ps3 version being poor to play. I'm still sticking with the ps3 version due to the vastly superior ds3 and trophies. No way in hell I would do that if it were a bad port. Instead it's simply a disappointing one. :/

Kuraudo said:
What's in the Clover box?

A Viewtiful clock :D

Garcian said:
How many tracks on the CD?

nah, just 6 tracks... 22 minutes.

Track list:

One of a Kind
Riders of the Light
Battle for the Umbra Throne
Theme of Bayonetta - Mysterious Destiny
The Old City of Vigrid
The Gates of Hell

Dabookerman said:
How big is the "Art" book? Like how many pages? Is it all just renders?

30 pages. Yup, 99% renders (characters, weapons, enemies...) and 2 or 3 sketches.

Dave1988

Whoompthereitis said:
I thought the PS3 demo was fine until I played the 360. I'm sure you'll be fine with it as long as you don't compare the two. From what I understand, the demo is pretty indicitive of how the final game performs.

If you have a choice however, go 360.

Actually, it isn't. The retail version is plagued by loadings as an added bonus to the aready shitty framerate.

Anso

Here's info on the Climax Edition CD for anyone interested: http://vgmdb.net/album/14559
I've already bought the soundtrack though but it's a nice bonus :)

Well, I can only hope Play.com hurries up with my shipment and if it gets damaged.. heads will roll.

Dave1988 said:
Actually, it isn't. The retail version is plagued by loadings as an added bonus to the aready shitty framerate.

Oh, that´s true, in the video review they mentioned really stupid loading interruptions, I forgot. I think I will wait since I have a pretty ridiculous backlog right now. Is it likely a PC port further down the road? Does Sega or Platinum have a history for this?

bytesized said:
Oh, that´s true, in the video review they mentioned really stupid loading interruptions, I forgot. I think I will wait since I have a pretty ridiculous backlog right now. Is it likely a PC port further down the road? Does Sega or Platinum have a history for this?
Platinum have only have Bayonetta and MadWorld under their belts. Sega seems pretty erratic with PC ports. Hopefully Sega has learned a thing or two from their buddies over at Capcom.

grindamasta said:
30 pages. Yup, 99% renders (characters, weapons, enemies...) and 2 or 3 sketches.

Awesome :)

Do you reckon you could do a quick video of you flicking through the art book please <;o? If it's not too much trouble.

Do you reckon you could do a quick video of you flicking through the art book please <;o? If it's not too much trouble.

Oh man...

For some reason my twisted brain read that as 'Do you reckon you could do a quick video of you fucking the art book please?'

Now that I think of it, that wouldn't be the strangest thing I've read on GAF...

Whoompthereitis said:
Oh man...

For some reason my twisted brain read that as 'Do you reckon you could do a quick video of you fucking the art book please?'

Now that I think of it, that wouldn't be the strangest thing I've read on GAF...

Trust me, this time next week hopefully, I can oblige with that offer. Oh yes!

Dahbomb

TheCardPlayer said:

I was merely trying to rationalize the cancellation of pre-orders of this game on the previous page and what was their thinking behind it. Also the games that you mentioned, most if not all of those games have a MALE character on the cover as well as having a mostly a male oriented advertisement campaign.

You and I belong in the minority. I have no problem playing female characters in fact my favorite SF4 character is Cammy, I have a female character in Mass Effect, I am playing around with Zafina in Tekken 6 most of the time etc. But others I have seen don't follow this, they will always pick up manly games and pick characters who are manly/bad ass.

They don't outright say that playing as a girl in a video games makes you a girl but they subconsciously feel that people who do have girl-like tendencies (yes I know it's funny to you but people call each other fags for having girl avatars). It's not that people WOULDN'T play as a female protagonist it's that they much prefer a male protagonist when they themselves are male. Again, I was not making a statement for everyone just the general male demographic which doesn't really include GAF. It is just far more acceptable among guy friends to be playing God of War than Bayonetta. That's just how it is and there might be exceptions but again I emphasize that I am talking about the majority here.

Peff

Dabookerman said:

I can! Sorry I didn't answer before, I was playing :$ Awesome, awesome game. Gimme a few minutes so that I can record and upload, though it probably won't be the best quality it should be decent enough.

Top Bottom