• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Raxus said:
I demand a name change. BAYONETTA thread of sexy sexy poses.

2eofl00.gif

Seriously, what is the source for this interview. It seems to be full of awesome.

danmaku

TimeKillr said:
Buy the
Bangle of time, it'll let you activate Witch Time on those enemies.

I know, but I don't like to use it. It feels almost like a cheat code to me.

Now you'll think I'm a masochist.

I used the item that activates an automatic attack instead of witch time and it worked fine, my main problem were the fucking cars. :lol

So why is it that this game is being distributed to mass retailers right now, there is no hard street date I'm hearing, so just sell the fuckers for christmas profit! lol GRrrrrr

I just want my copy of the game really, really bad!

zurra

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So hearing a few best buys are starting to sell this now. Anyone else find places to pick this up in the US yet?
checked a few local. they had it but wouldn't sell it to me. also heard some toys r us are breaking street date, gonna check there later.

george_us

So did the Japanese 360 version have a black and white manual? I do know the japanese PS3 version got a (very nice) color manual so I was wondering if us Westerners got the shaft.

theluma

As someone who thinks something like God of War is extremely meh, certainly in terms of gameplay, but fucking loves crazy Japanese shit and indeed MadWorld...will I like this game?

danmaku

george_us said:
So did the Japanese 360 version have a black and white manual? I do know the PS3 version got a (very nice) color manual so I was wondering if us Westerners got the shaft.

No, it's full color.

theluma said:
As someone who thinks something like God of War is extremely meh, certainly in terms of gameplay, but fucking loves crazy Japanese shit and indeed MadWorld...will I like this game?

Probably, unless you don't like fun.

soldat7

Blueblur1 said:
They would care about the games but not the developer. Millions of people play the Halo games and still have no idea who Bungie is so I very much doubt that you can get more than a handful of people to care about one Japanese game designer. He's no Shigeru Miyamoto.

At any rate, I was pointing out how ludicrous george_us's comment actually is. /end

Take a hike.

hulot

theluma said:
Even bearing in mind that I do NOT consider GOW much fun at all after about an hour or so?
Why are you comparing this to GOW? Have you played Devil May Cry? GOW is fluff combat-wise in relation.

Also, hearing about it being sold in Ohio, has NYC-Gaf gotten their hands on it?

danmaku

theluma said:
Even bearing in mind that I do NOT consider GOW much fun at all after about an hour or so?

You could play in easy mode and just watch the fireworks, the craziness keeps increasing level after level. But I wouldn't shell 60$ to play like this. I'd wait for a bargain price.

Minamu

Benjillion said:
Seriously, what is the source for this interview. It seems to be full of awesome.
1up show I believe. It's definitely the 1up guys either way. That was probably the best part of the interview though.

I hope I don't have the same experience with Bayonetta as I've had with his previous games. I've only played DMC3+4, which he wasn't involved with. I've only watched RE2 being played by a friend when it came out & played a few minutes here & there (I have fairly good knowledge of the innards of it now though). Viewtiful Joe was really hard (o_O) until I picked it up again a year later after collecting some dust on the shelf. I only played 10 hours of Okami before putting it on hold & restarted again this year & completed it. So all in all, I've never fully committed myself to his games after buying them until months/years later. Hopefully Bayonetta will break that trend.

theluma

hulot said:
Why are you comparing this to GOW? Have you played Devil May Cry? GOW is fluff combat-wise in relation.

Is it? Well that's good. So I won't be square mashing my way through 20 of the same enemy for hours on end hoping I don't get hit? There is strategy to the combat?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
has anyone who thought DMC3 was a bit too tough or just not that enjoyable played this? what do you think of it? some background: huge fan of the original DMC, the first NG, disliked GOW, thought NG2 was a big disappointment, and so on.

fans of VIEWTIFUL JOE, i also want your opinions on how this is (though clearly the game is very different, i think liking VJ quite a lot indicates we may have similar tastes, or may be looking for similar things in a very good game)

oracrest

Colocho said:
VJ is good, but not as godly as some people hype it up to be.

I get a lot of the same vibe from Bayonetta that I got from Viewtiful Joe, in the sense of presentation.

That move where Joe strikes a pose, looks at the camera, and destroys everything on screen, that is very much in line with the kind of stuff I have seen from Bayonetta. Just total humorous indulgence.

viewtiful-joe-2-20040927015520511.jpg

george_us

beelzebozo said:
has anyone who thought DMC3 was a bit too tough or just not that enjoyable played this? what do you think of it? some background: huge fan of the original DMC, the first NG, disliked GOW, thought NG2 was a big disappointment, and so on.

fans of VIEWTIFUL JOE, i also want your opinions on how this is (though clearly the game is very different, i think liking VJ quite a lot indicates we may have similar tastes, or may be looking for similar things in a very good game)
In terms of pure combat, Bayonetta is probably a little tougher than DMC3 although the difficultly curve is much, much better. DMC3s enemies weren't too smart for the most part although they dealt a shit ton of damage when their attacks hit. The difference between DMC3 and Bayonetta is that Bayonetta is far, far more liberal with its checkpoints than DMC3, or any other action game on the market. Say for instance you're fighting a boss with multiple life bars and you got the boss down to its last life bar, you'll start at that life bar with full health if you die. Even with all of the forgiving checkpoints, it's still a fairly difficult game.

theluma said:
Is it? Well that's good. So I won't be square mashing my way through 20 of the same enemy for hours on end hoping I don't get hit? There is strategy to the combat?
Hell yeah, the combat is incredible and everything is cancelable. Go play the demo, it's out on XBL and PSN. :D

theluma

Aljosa said:
Hell yeah, the combat is incredible and everything is cancelable. Go play the demo, it's out on XBL and PSN. :D

Oh I've played the demo, but there wasn't exactly a lot of enemies to fight. Certainly not enough to make me try to figure out some extra combos - just a demo after all. I did notice the amount of crazy combos available though. So is it satisfying being able to master the combat? I don't want to make a "sure there are heaps of moves but you never have to use more than three" argument because IMO that is extremely dumb. It's not important that you don't HAVE to use all these combos it's important that using all these combos makes for a much more satisfying experience.

So, is this the case in Bayonetta?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
theluma said:
Oh I've played the demo, but there wasn't exactly a lot of enemies to fight. Certainly not enough to make me try to figure out some extra combos - just a demo after all. I did notice the amount of crazy combos available though. So is it satisfying being able to master the combat? I don't want to make a "sure there are heaps of moves but you never have to use more than three" argument because IMO that is extremely dumb. It's not important that you don't HAVE to use all these combos it's important that using all these combos makes for a much more satisfying experience.

It's the case if you plan on getting pure platinum medals, I would assume.

theluma said:

If you want Platinum medals than it's needed.

It's just pure fun for me to pull of these crazy combos and the customization is there because you can equip shit on her hands and feet for ultimate craziness. Try some more combos in the loading screens and tutorial and use the sword, it's crazy.

hulot

theluma said:

I see where you're coming from (i.e. GOW). Don't know about Bayonetta except from the demo, but in the first DMC, the moveset was there for a reason, not throwaway like in GOW since there were many different enemy types that required different strategies. DMC3 I believe suffered because of this lack in variety; it's been awhile but I can't recall any particularly standout enemies like ones in DMC1 (shadow hounds, phantoms, etc.)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
theluma said:
What's that?

The game rates your performance for all the different combat areas. The better you do, the more "experience points" you get, basically. It's the same for all the other games in the genre except God of War :lol

a Master Ninja said:
*BAYONETTA SEEMS TO PLAY SMOOTHER FROM THE DISC THAN FROM A HARDDRIVE INSTALL*
It's almost certainly using the hard drive as a cache then.

I guess MS still haven't exposed the installed status of a game to the developers. Either that or your hard-drive is fragmented.

Dave1988

Saargabath said:
I have a PS3, a Wii. I intend to get a 360 just for Bayonetta ( I can afford it ). Is it worth it?

You're doing the right thing.

theluma said:
I hope the difference between the versions isn't THAT bad:/

PS3 ver: framerate ranging from 20 fps to 30 fps, 50% screen tear rate, worse textures and long ass loading to boot.

Xbox360 ver: 60 fps and none of the above mentioned faults.

Others will swear that the game is still playable and it probably is, but ask yourself this: "Do I really want to play the gimped version of the Action Game of the Forever™ ?"

imtehman

Banned
Dave1988 said:
Others will swear that the game is still playable and it probably is, but ask yourself this: "Do I really want to play the gimped version of the Action Game of the Forever™ ?"

this is indeed a very good question.

yurinka

Angelus Errare said:
So can we finally say Kamiya > Itagaki? :D
Always. Itagaki's games are broken. He must learn what is the difficulty curve. And it isn't related to boobs.

Benjillion said:
1up Show. I can't remember the episode. Look for Platinum interview.
Dave1988 said:
PS3 ver: framerate ranging from 20 fps to 30 fps, 50% screen tear rate, worse textures and long ass loading to boot.

Xbox360 ver: 60 fps and none of the above mentioned faults."
FPS and screen tear data is false, even for the Japanese demos. And overseas PS3 demos were improved, so I assume the PAL/US PS3 release code too.

Saargabath said:
I have a PS3, a Wii. I intend to get a 360 just for Bayonetta ( I can afford it ). Is it worth it?
360 version is better, sure. But if I was you I would get the 360 for Gears, Dead Rising, Halo, etc. They deserve to buy the console.

Some FPS more, some better tearing, a bit better textures and loading times in a single multiplatform game I think doesn't deserve to buy a console just for this. PS3 version -at least the demo- isn't that bad. But if you finally buy the 360, buy this version.

TreIII

Amir0x said:
I really have a soft spot for Viewtiful Joe still. I just like the way that game feels.

VJ, to me, is still one of most balanced games of its sort. If you died in that game, it really was due to your own fault, and not utilizing Joe's moveset to its fullest.

Now that he's gone back to the DMC formula once more with Bayo, I really could stand to see what he had in store for VJ3. Whether Capcom actually is willing to play ball with him or not...I'd even be willing for him to start over with a new IP and adapt the new ideas to that, if nothing else is possible.

On the other hand, I REALLY want to see what Kamiya could do with that "Umbran Fighter" idea that he talked about on his last blog. Kamiya? Doing a Vs. Fighting Game?

...He may be the kind of guy who could breathe new life into that genre, too... :D

HYDE

Banned
Threi said:

THIS!

I would honestly rather support a broken port, than a broken console.

Is there a (USA) PS3 Bayonetta owner that has the balls to post their early copy?

I'd like to see what it looks like. Thanks in advance.

Threi

notag
HYDE said:
THIS!

I would honestly rather support a broken port, than a broken console.

Err my reasoning is buying a console for one game that is already playable (yes, playable) on a console you own isn't a smart purchase.

But then again he said he can afford it, and most of GAF can relate, considering how many people have multiple consoles, so if you feel the need to go right ahead.

Top Bottom