• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta Demo Impressions Thread of the Evolution of Action Games

BeautifulMemory said:
sgjy93.jpg

imtehman

Banned
dwin45 said:
Does the demo have an English option? Is it non-Japanese speaker friendly?

the 360 demo is in english with english subtitles, the ps3 demo is in english with japanese subtitles, at least thats what i got without changing anything

duckroll

imtehman said:
the 360 demo is in english with english subtitles, the ps3 demo is in english with japanese subtitles, at least thats what i got without changing anything

The cutscene subtitles can be changed to English (or various other languages) in the PS3 demo, but the game text remains Japanese.

jabipun

Kintaro said:
Demo is pretty fun. It's not OMGWTFBBQ best ever, but fun. Solid 8.

Maybe the crappy PS3 version, but the 360 version is indeed "OMGWTFBBQ" awesome. Very few games do I keep learning things the more I play it and experiment with it.

Bayonetta's combat system is as sandbox as GTA's world.

USD

MechaX said:
Personally, I would like to see how the game handles things on higher difficulties. Sure, it definitely has its more button mashy-elements, but I could see the gameplay being immensely rewarding given the proper practice. By the end of my run, I was doing insane combos via jump canceling and weapon canceling. Speaking of which, I'm fucking surprised it has took this long for an action game to officially incorporate move canceling into the battle system itself (DMC3 did it second best, but its mode of canceling was hardly intentional). In one way, I wish Ninja Gaiden handled its dial-a-combos like this.
I don't understand what you're talking about here. Canceling is a huge part of all action games. Some of the uses of cancels are probably unintentional, but the cancels themselves (usually) aren't. The type of cancels is what's important. And as far as the type of canceling in Bayonetta, it's closer to God of War and God Hand than it is to any of the DMC game.

jabipun

duckroll said:
The controls are definitely better on the PS3 imo, especially for fans of the dualshock controller type. I just feel that the controls on the 360 are about as good as it can get for the controller, so I wouldn't mind playing it with that, especially since I feel it looks and runs much better on the 360.

Do you think preference for the DualShock is reason enough to look past some of the tech. problems the PS3 version has over the 360 version?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jabipun said:
Maybe the crappy PS3 version, but the 360 version is indeed "OMGWTFBBQ" awesome. Very few games do I keep learning things the more I play it and experiment with it.

Bayonetta's combat system is as sandbox as GTA's world.

I didn't mean the versions, meant the game. It's pretty cool, but I'm not blown away by what was seen in the demo. That's all. It's fun, that's cool. She does neat things, warps around, so forth, etc. Cool.

Perhaps after spending time with the full game, it'll be OMGWTF.

Bayonetta herself is pretty tacky though. =/

jabipun

Kintaro said:
I didn't mean the versions, meant the game. It's pretty cool, but I'm not blown away by what was seen in the demo. That's all. It's fun, that's cool. She does neat things, warps around, so forth, etc. Cool.

Perhaps after spending time with the full game, it'll be OMGWTF.

Bayonetta herself is pretty tacky though. =/

You should play the demo a few more times. The combat clicks it turns things up to a whole new level.

And the 360 version - is that much better than the PS3 version. It really is. Not saying the PS3 version is unplayable or 'embarrassing' - but it's just simply not as good. If one were to think the ps3 version is an 8/10 - the improvements on the 360 version is enough to make it 10/10.

Anyway, playing Bayonetta reminds me of the first time I played DMC1 almost 10 years ago. I've enjoyed other action games since, DMC3, NG1 (NG2 sucked) - but this is just on another whole new level. So fast, responsive, smooth etc.

EDIT:

BeautifulMemory said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kt00M8Ycgo&feature=sub

It looks awesome =/

sadface because I don't own a 360

Holy fucking shit. HD available too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
BWAHAHAHAHA, I just did some punish move where I jumped on top of an enemy and started bitch slapping him with my gun. The animation was so funny.

This game is so fucking ridiculous.

Been reading this thread all day. I got to play for a little while before work (PS3) and I can't read Japanese. I can't wait to get off work and put in a few hours with the demo later tonight.

Can someone explain how to set up one button play? I thought I had done it but it didn't seem to work (other buttons worked as well, or is this not the case).

Also this crazy angel battle is after you beat the first beasts before you go in that door?

I don't recall seeing much of a sword, maybe I was missing something. Can someone elaborate on this. I did pick up various other weapons like the axe, spiked ball n chain, and the bugle (<:lol )

Day One Purchase.

Side note: I hope they release an action figure that can chill at my desk at work :D

LLaMa-Tech said:
I don't recall seeing much of a sword, maybe I was missing something. Can someone elaborate on this. I did pick up various other weapons like the axe, spiked ball n chain, and the bugle (<:lol )
Press L2 to switch between Sword in hands/Shotguns on feet to Guns in hands/Guns on feet.

Yes, it's that awesome.

Peff

LLaMa-Tech said:
Been reading this thread all day. I got to play for a little while before work (PS3) and I can't read Japanese. I can't wait to get off work and put in a few hours with the demo later tonight.

Can someone explain how to set up one button play? I thought I had done it but it didn't seem to work (other buttons worked as well, or is this not the case).

Also this crazy angel battle is after you beat the first beasts before you go in that door?

Day One Purchase.

Side note: I hope they release an action figure that can chill at my desk at work :D

- One button play is Easy Automatic mode, the only other one you can select (other than Normal). And yes, you are supposed to be able to use more than one if you want to.

- Once you beat the giant beast with the axe, go back to the station where you begin the level and you'll play the secret showdown.

- The sword is selected by pressing L2 at any time, it's a main weapon unlike the angelical weapons you can pick up.

kiryogi

Banned
jabipun said:
You should play the demo a few more times. The combat clicks it turns things up to a whole new level.

And the 360 version - is that much better than the PS3 version. It really is. Not saying the PS3 version is unplayable or 'embarrassing' - but it's just simply not as good. If one were to think the ps3 version is an 8/10 - the improvements on the 360 version is enough to make it 10/10.

Anyway, playing Bayonetta reminds me of the first time I played DMC1 almost 10 years ago. I've enjoyed other action games since, DMC3, NG1 (NG2 sucked) - but this is just on another whole new level. So fast, responsive, smooth etc.

EDIT:

Holy fucking shit. HD available too.

Yet the improvements are framerate and IQ mainly... How does that change the core gameplay? It doesn't.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jabipun said:

I've played the demo quite a few times over. It feels like a refined DMC/Viewtiful Joe mix with a tacky chick and crazy shit.

360 version isn't going to chance the core mechanics of the demo even if the framerate is smoother. It would be a smoother 8 instead of a solid 8. Move on. One dude's opinion in a circle jerk. I hope the retail release kicks ass.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I recall hearing that when the game is loading you can stay on that screen and practice stuff, is that right? If so, I wish it let me do that in the demo. I want to try some sword stuff but it loads too fast, and staying in the actual tutorial doesn't let you switch to the sword.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've been seeing the lips icon on enemies in videos. Is that the lock-on? If so, what's that mapped to? Is it R1/RB?

Danne-Danger said:
Press L2 to switch between Sword in hands/Shotguns on feet to Guns in hands/Guns on feet.

Yes, it's that awesome.

Peff said:
- One button play is Easy Automatic mode, the only other one you can select (other than Normal). And yes, you are supposed to be able to use more than one if you want to.

- Once you beat the giant beast with the axe, go back to the station where you begin the level and you'll play the secret showdown.

- The sword is selected by pressing L2 at any time, it's a main weapon unlike the angelical weapons you can pick up.

Thanks guys, even more jazzed to check this out

kiryogi

Banned
ZealousD said:
I've been seeing the lips icon on enemies in videos. Is that the lock-on? If so, what's that mapped to? Is it R1/RB?
Correct.

LLaMa-Tech said:
I believe R1 was the lock, not sure how to switch the lock to another enemy.

Also what are the left, right, and up directional buttons used for?

Butterfly (or flower I can't remember helps add to your torture bar?

Dpad is used for items, and yeah butterfly is for your magic gauge, which can be used for torture attacks.

ZealousD said:
Damn it! In DMC4 I mapped lock-on to LT at the first opportunity. It feels so unnatural on R1 and I remember Kamiya saying you can't change the controls. =(

Hahah yeah, saw that interview recently. The man says the controls are perfect :lol

ZealousD said:

I believe R1 was the lock, not sure how to switch the lock to another enemy.

Also what are the left, right, and up directional buttons used for?

Butterfly (or flower I can't remember helps add to your torture bar?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
kiryogi said:

Damn it! In DMC4 I mapped lock-on to LT at the first opportunity. It feels so unnatural on R1 and I remember Kamiya saying you can't change the controls. =(

kiryogi said:
Hahah yeah, saw that interview recently. The man says the controls are perfect :lol

Yeah that's bullshit. I don't understand how he thinks having lock-on at RB/R1 is a good idea. It feels a million times better on L2/LT. Especially him thinking that everybody is going to think like him on this. Guess I'm just going to have to deal with it.

I've decided I'll rather stick with the ps3, the controller preference and the fact that I cant see a damn thing wrong with the ps3 version has convinced me

I just realized that I never used the lockon :lol

I just assumed that bayonetta was tracking enemies like in ninja gaiden. I was wondering how you guys were doing the stinger without lockon :lol
It was so hard to shoot enemies while bouncing off them like mario, too!

jabipun

God's Beard said:
I just realized that I never used the lockon :lol

I just assumed that bayonetta was tracking enemies like in ninja gaiden. I was wondering how you guys were doing the stinger without lockon :lol
It was so hard to shoot enemies while bouncing off them like mario, too!

R1 (or, on the 360 version - right bumper) is lock-on, it acts more as a combo modifier than an actual lock to be perfectly honest. Don't know why they just don't call it a modifier button.

Rayven_king said:
I've decided I'll rather stick with the ps3, the controller preference and the fact that I cant see a damn thing wrong with the ps3 version has convinced me

The PS3 version is fine if that's all you know. Some screen tearing here and there, no biggie.

But once you play the 360 version, you won't be able to go back to the Ps3 version, it's that simple.

MechaX

USD said:
I don't understand what you're talking about here. Canceling is a huge part of all action games. Some of the uses of cancels are probably unintentional, but the cancels themselves (usually) aren't. The type of cancels is what's important. And as far as the type of canceling in Bayonetta, it's closer to God of War and God Hand than it is any of the DMC games.

I forgot about God Hand's dodge canceling, but my main point is that most action games do not incorporate them through intentional means like Bayonetta and God Hand does. I can't say I remember much about how God of War does things, but let's look at NG and DMC. In Ninja Gaiden, you can't even cancel combos to the extent that you can in Bayonetta in any of its games. The best you can do is in Ninja Gaiden Black where you can roll-cancel some moves (Mostly Vigoorian Flail moves), but you can never really follow them up into a whole new combo or any attack at all.

The only DMC games that are really cancel heavy are DMC3 and to a lesser extent DMC4, which is definitely not intentional as it is a physics glitch (ie, jumping off of a tiny bit of an enemy's hitbox). In DMC4's case, you can Snatch and Jump Cancel with Nero, but his combos are rather limited to begin with. In Dante's case, enemies die too quickly no matter what difficulty you're on for any canceling stream to be effective. Additionally, the Jump Cancel bread-and-butter move (Killer Bee) is horribly nerfed in DMC4.

jabipun said:
R1 (or, on the better version - right bumper) is lock-on, it acts more as a combo modifier than an actual lock to be perfectly honest. Don't know why they just don't call it a modifier button.

I just wasn't paying attention because it wasn't necessary. It's much easier to fight without it than in DMC.

RedSwirl

How do you do the torture attacks? I did one accidentally.

Also, is there a way to stay in the practice area that comes up during loading? It's really nice they actually set apart an area where you can practice your movies.

kiryogi

Banned
RedSwirl said:
How do you do the torture attacks? I did one accidentally.

Also, is there a way to stay in the practice area that comes up during loading? It's really nice they actually set apart an area where you can practice your movies.

The prompt comes up during your combos if you have enough magic. Meanwhile the only way to really sit there in the loading area is to play tutorial, but you won't be able to practice her sword combos though.

jabipun

So anyone else play both the ps3 and 360 versions. It'd be interesting to get more impressions regarding those two.

kiryogi

Banned
jabipun said:
So anyone else play both the ps3 and 360 versions. It'd be interesting to get more impressions regarding those two.
I put in my 2 cents already and you still haven't answered my question.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
got the demo from that megaupload link.

I...I...I didn't like it , it's more of DMC concept , but then again I didn't like DMC too , nothing new in it imo over DMC , game did nothing for me , uh..GAF hype failed me again , uh never again GAF.

just please don't kill me , it's Bayonetta demo Impressions thread , and I am one cute SEGA fan ( sane one too ..I guess ) , thing is , the only Japaneses fast action games I liked were Ninja Gaiden ( all of them ) and SEGA's Shinobi ( and Kunoichi/nightshade ) , so maybe I just don't like this Kamiya style of gameplay.

it's sad for me because i was really hungry for some Bayonetta butt , it's nice butt indeed , but the demo killed my hype completely.

but will buy game to support SEGA , I even bought Golden Axe: Beast Rider and
Viking to support them , so why not Bayonetta.

sad sad day for me :(

TreIII

Well, took a bit, but I got to try out the PSN demo.

It's very nice, but....if they can't polish these things out before the game goes gold, then I'll have to wait a while, and hope the US release may be better for it.

Otherwise, this game will have to wait until I can afford a 360 (which likely will be a minute).

FINALLY got it Downloaded, phew what a demo. As a PS3 owner, I was extremely put off by all the negative posts about how the demo looked like absolute ASS. I can say, since I'm not graphics whore, the graphics (in the demo) were both vibrant and stylish.

Fun Stuff.

Violater

If Sega is given the funds I have faith they can make good on the PS3 version.
This has potential to be something awesome.
On a side note I think I am becoming sensitive to the screen tearing. :(

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Played the PS3 demo. The only complaint I can really agree with is the graphics look a bit muddled..like there's a thin layer of dust on the screen. Other than that everything was smooth and looked great. Unless you're a giant graphics whore or fanbot, the PS3 version is fine. I played Heavenly Sword a few months ago, and the framerate in that is shit, and I still loved it. In the end this game is really fun and that's all that matters.

Llyranor

Wow, I am absolutely sold on this. Was pretty skeptical beforehand, but the impressions from the OP were pretty interesting. Love how fast-paced the combat mechanics are; DMC4 feels so sluggish compared to this. I can see how the underlying basics are similar between the two series, but Bayo is much more fluid. Extensive movelists, very agile character (between jumping and dodging around, you can pretty much move around the battlefield at a whim).

The battles are incredibly fun.
Fighting that giant while it was shaking the bridge was pretty hectic, and that fight with the witch while jumping around on walls and ceilings was awesome!

I've only played the PS3 version, and it's absolutely fine. I'm not too focused on technicalities, but it's extremely playable.

I'll have to try the 360 version and compare controls, but we'll see. I'm fine with the triggers (have to use it all the time to dodge around in NG2), so 360 version will probably be the version I'll be picking up, depending on the test run.

Top Bottom