• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta Demo Impressions Thread of the Evolution of Action Games

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
jabipun said:
Can't think of an action game on PS3 in this vein other than DMC4 that runs at 60 fps. Sigma tried, God of War 3's devs. are flat out admitting the game drops to 30 fps during 'intense action sequences.' ... whatever damage control that is, Heavenly Sword barely did 30 :lol

Which 360 games run at 60? Ones that actually look good I mean.

CO_Andy

Love these new-age beat' em up games, but i absolutely hate the constant camera adjustments you have to make.

God of War and The Red Star are examples of what the genre should strive for imo.

RedSwirl

Played the PS3 demo and ended up spending most of my time just checking out all Bayonetta's moves in the tutorial mode. The movelist alone puts this game above DMC4 and possibly NG. Only the enemies aren't as dangerous as NG's.

I haven't played Viewtiful Joe in a while so I can't comment on how much of that is in Bayonetta, but I definitely see the connection with P.N.03 in terms of how the character moves.

My favorite combo that I've been able to master so far is the PPPPK that goes into the Chun-Li kicks. Did anyone figure out how to do the punching equivalent though?

Also, is there a way to find Bayonetta's move list for the sword?

Graphically I'd say the PS3 environments are inferior to games like DMC4, and what God of War III will look like, but Bayonetta herself still looks awesome. I didn't notice any framerate problems from what it ran at though, not any serious game-stopping dips.

Just tried the demo on PS3

Game has fantastic style and atmosphere, they have crafted a really pretty world. Demo only goes up to normal which was really easy. Like the R2 dodge mechanic, tutorial was a great place to try out combos too.

It does a really great job of having varied combat fused with cinematic flair, make the game more satisfying I think. Framerate seemed funky, didn't think it dipped much really just hovered in weird places, some tearing (top of screen). Going to download the Gamersyde videos to see how it really differs from the 360 version.

I honestly had no real issues with the PS3 version of the demo. I probably wouldn't have even known there was a huge problem with it if I hadn't looked around these threads. That being said, the 360 version does look better, but not enough to make me want to risk DRMs to play it, or wait until 2010.

I've been reading around, but do we have any sort of information on what exactly will be in English? Thus far it seems very doable with no knowledge of Japanese.

USD

RedSwirl said:
My favorite combo that I've been able to master so far is the PPPPK that goes into the Chun-Li kicks. Did anyone figure out how to do the punching equivalent though?

Also, is there a way to find Bayonetta's move list for the sword?
PPPPP (· K)

The only time you can take a peek at the katana move list (that I know of) is while the game is loading, otherwise you have to figure out the moves on your own. I haven't bothered with the katana + shotgun set up much myself.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
..I'm not really digging it.
I had no idea what I was doing.. just mashing buttons.. but I was still winning.
Definitely gonna give another go in a bit.. but my first impression wasn't very good.

Also, that clocktower level is totally different than it was in that badass youtube video I saw. :[

This is one impressive fucking demo. I pretty much loathed DMC4 and NG2, this game looks to have redeemed the genre. Cancelling is so fucking easy there are no words. And multi-target combo building is equally as easy as pie. Toss in the batshit crazy encounters, and this game is fucking shames it's competition.

Also I have no idea what people are complaining about regarding the camera, I didn't adjust it once.

kiryogi

Banned
Dled and tried out the 360 demo. The difference is indeed day and night on the IQ and I was running it on VGA vs my PS3's HDMI. But in terms of playability and the game play itself. The PS3 is absolutely playable on about the same level. You folks are crying way too much. On a game play note though...

How do you pull off that combo that is p+p+p+k+k, delay p? At least when I try to do it, she ends the combo by grabbing and whipping them with her guns which doesn't account for executing the combo. Also, how do you do her drill kick in the air? Seen it in the demo reel but haven't been able to pull it off myself.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can't think of an action game on PS3 in this vein other than DMC4 that runs at 60 fps. Sigma tried, God of War 3's devs. are flat out admitting the game drops to 30 fps during 'intense action sequences.' ... whatever damage control that is, Heavenly Sword barely did 30
...and your 360 examples are?

Sigma is, for all intents as purposes, 60 fps. It does slow down, but it generally holds a solid 60.

USD

Your combo string doesn't have to break when you dodge. If you hold an attack button when you evading, you "hold" the combo string.

Take the Chun-Li kick combo:

PPPPK

PPPP(evade, up to four times)K

You'll do the exact same combo, as long as you are holding the punch button when you press the evade button and properly string your evades together. To do delayed inputs after an evade, wait until she's the recovery of her evade (she does a little hop after the evade animation, if you don't input anything), and then press the attack button you want to use.

Pretty sweet.

Ronin

After giving the 360 demo a run through, I'm totally going with that one. So smooth and crisp. PS3 version is still totally playable, and I'd get that one if I were a PS3 only dude. I do have to say, I'm gonna miss the Dualshock with it though.

Jtwo said:
Also, that clocktower level is totally different than it was in that badass youtube video I saw. :[

I think the clocktower level actually plays twice throughout the entire game; once in the past and once more in the present, with more abilities but no Jeanne to help you.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh..
Hmm I guess that explains it.

The graphics in the second area are beautiful.
The glowers and grass and stuff.. looks really cool.

This game might be a little too over the top for me, though.
Half the time I can barely see what's going on.. and then she like takes her clothes off or something?
WTF? :lol :lol

Shito

Ok, a friend just told me: have you guys found Verse 2?
It's quite hidden: after the first fight, backtrack to the beginning of the demo, and enjoy the toughest fight you can find in here!

<3 this game.

EDIT: speaking about the PS3 demo, so "first fight" = the one by the fountain.

Ephemeris

Ronin said:
After giving the 360 demo a run through, I'm totally going with that one. So smooth and crisp. PS3 version is still totally playable, and I'd get that one if I were a PS3 only dude. I do have to say, I'm gonna miss the Dualshock with it though.

I am with you on that one.

That and I actually prefer the PS3 cases.:lol

Ephemeris

Shito said:
It's quite hidden: after the first fight, backtrack to the beginning of the demo, and enjoy the toughest fight you can find in here!

<3 this game.

EDIT: speaking about the PS3 demo, so "first fight" = the one by the foutain.

*Boots up PS3*

Jtwo said:
Oh..
Hmm I guess that explains it.

The graphics in the second area are beautiful.
The glowers and grass and stuff.. looks really cool.

This game might be a little too over the top for me, though.
Half the time I can barely see what's going on.. and then she like takes her clothes off or something?
WTF? :lol :lol

the clothes are bayoneta's hair so when she does a big attack she need to use more hair, so she looks with less clothes :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just played the demo for the first time (jpn psn) and loved it. It really is everything I wanted in this type of a game. I'll give the 360 version a go as well and compare.

This game is so bought though. Good stuff.

I love this game so much. It's almost like a parody of games in the genre. It's THAT awesome.

Edit: God damnit, I gotta stop talking like I played the full game. :lol

Daante

Played the 360 demo.

Absolutley loved EVERYTHING this game has to offer. It is running incredible smooth for what i could tell, 60 FPS FTW! , gameplay wise i havent been this happy and had "that" smile on my face since i played trough DMC3 FOR THE FIRST TIME when it was released.

Bow Kamiya and PG , BOW !!

Dever

Banned
I'm an action game rookie so I'm basically mashing buttons, but this is great. I just hope they're fixing some of the technical issues for the western release.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I need to swap the DS3 face buttons onto the 360 controller, then all advantages are gone.

Ephemeris

Shito said:

<3 this game.

EDIT: speaking about the PS3 demo, so "first fight" = the one by the fountain.

I just played it. Definitely was the toughest fight in the demo. :lol

First time I saw the near death screen too. Pretty neat the way they do it, the hands clawing at you...

vermadas

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
I never would have had a problem with the PS3 version had I not seen it on the 360.

Fix it or forget it. It's the principle of the thing.

Hope you don't want to play any console games that are also available on the PC. You might see the technically superior PC version and have to skip an enjoyable game due to those silly principles.

duckroll

I just tried the 360 demo. Oh. My. God. I'm definitely getting this on the 360 now, once it hits US and Asia. I could get the JP one since my 360 is NTSC/J, but I don't really want to pay JP pricing for this game right now. Not when I'm getting a ton of games in October anyway. The improved IQ in the 360 build, the smoother framerate, and the fact that I'm not actually annoyed with the control setup, makes it a done deal. Out of all those though, it's really the IQ which sold me. It just looks so much clearer, sharper and crisp on the 360. :eek:

AniHawk

jett said:
I don't see the "evolution" here either, but whatever. Unless "evolution" now means stepping back to an eight year-old game. The more I play this the more it feels like DMC1.

Remember, you do have pretty awful taste in video games.

duckroll said:
I just tried the 360 demo. Oh. My. God. I'm definitely getting this on the 360 now, once it hits US and Asia. I could get the JP one since my 360 is NTSC/J, but I don't really want to pay JP pricing for this game right now. Not when I'm getting a ton of games in October anyway. The improved IQ in the 360 build, the smoother framerate, and the fact that I'm not actually annoyed with the control setup, makes it a done deal. Out of all those though, it's really the IQ which sold me. It just looks so much clearer, sharper and crisp on the 360. :eek:

Welcome aboard.

Can someone explain what L1 does and what the deal is with the secondary meter (the one that isn't the life meter)?

Really enjoying this demo. I can't wait for this game.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
prodystopian said:
Can someone explain what L1 does and what the deal is with the secondary meter (the one that isn't the life meter)?

Taunts.

Torture/magic gauge. You kill stuff, it fills, you get hit it depletes. When it's full, you release a torture attack (it'll show the Y+B prompt on screen).

booty160.gif

remember this?

duckroll

prodystopian said:

L1 is a taunt, I don't think it actually does anything in combat, but it might raise your magic gauge? Not sure, I haven't really used it much. The secondary meter made up of purple orbs is the magic bar. It fills up as you attack enemies, and when it's full you can do torture attacks on enemies, which are short button mashing finishing moves.

USD

prodystopian said:

L1 is the taunt button. If you press (or hold) it while standing in front of an enemy (that's not in hit stun or attacking), the enemy will glow orange and temporarily go to a rage mode, which makes them stronger, faster, and more resilient to attacks, but gives you a 1.5 multiplier to your attacks against the enemy. Basically a combination of God Hand's taunt system with DMC's enemy Devil Triggers. For some reason it doesn't work in the Falling Clock Tower stage, but works in the other one.

The second meter is for (special) torture attacks. The meter fills with attacks and decreases when you're hit. When it's full, you can do an instant-kill torture attack against a single enemy.

duckroll

Btw, is it just me, or is the Falling Clocktower sequence simply not as "impressive" as I sort of expected? I don't really feel the PS3 demo loses out by not having it, because content-wise it's a pretty terrible way of introducing any player to the game. It's also a huge cluttered mess.

The graphics are certainly impressive, but at the same time it's pretty awful game design. I'm really glad the game isn't actually like that, because the idea of fighting tons of enemies on a tiny platform while it's falling and there's a gazillion things in the background moving, sounds cool but doesn't really play that well.

It was cool to showcase the future bosses and stuff in the sequence by having them fly in and randomly fuck shit up, but it just made the entire sequence a pain in the ass to play. It just wasn't as fun as the rest of the game, and felt more like something I had to get through just to start the game.

Thoughts?

USD

I guessing that most of the ranged weapons in the game are exactly the same, just modified by the projectiles they shoot, for kick attacks at least. Must of the kick moves are the same across both weapon setups. The pure melee weapons (e.g. the katana, the whip, and the skates) are the ones with unique attacks.

EDIT: Checked some of the combos on the official website. The handgun and shotgun use the same punch attacks. All the foot weapons use the same kick attacks, the skates being a slight exception. Most of the skate's attacks are the same, but a few are unique.

Sophia

So where do I go to meet Hideki Kamiya to make sweet sweet love to him for the inclusion of a Headphones mode option? :D

duckroll said:
Btw, is it just me, or is the Falling Clocktower sequence simply not as "impressive" as I sort of expected? I don't really feel the PS3 demo loses out by not having it, because content-wise it's a pretty terrible way of introducing any player to the game. It's also a huge cluttered mess.

The graphics are certainly impressive, but at the same time it's pretty awful game design. I'm really glad the game isn't actually like that, because the idea of fighting tons of enemies on a tiny platform while it's falling and there's a gazillion things in the background moving, sounds cool but doesn't really play that well.

It was cool to showcase the future bosses and stuff in the sequence by having them fly in and randomly fuck shit up, but it just made the entire sequence a pain in the ass to play. It just wasn't as fun as the rest of the game, and felt more like something I had to get through just to start the game.

Thoughts?

Yeah I noticed it's kinda a mess too. Plus, no matter how well do on the latter parts, I always seem to screw up on the Clock Tower part due to the excessive amount of action.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
duckroll said:

2upctgn.gif

lostxii

Just played the ps3 demo, and thought it was fantastic. The art direction was fantastic, the animations were great and the variety of moves seems huge.I now can't wait for this game!

duckroll said:
Thoughts?

The clockwork sequence was fine up until the boss section, where it just became confusing as to what you were supposed to focus on. I fundamentally like the idea of a boss taking up the background of a section and forcing you to deal with basic combat with that added premise. I didn't like the idea of it just showing up out of nowhere and smacking you down for no good reason.

So yea, silly in a demo but potentially awesome in-game.

Top Bottom