• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta Demo Impressions Thread of the Evolution of Action Games

Chamber

love on your sleeve
PS3 version is nowhere near "unplayable". If you only have a PS3 then buy the game and enjoy it.

That being said, watching the videos of the 360 version, the difference in framerate is fucking huge.

Danne-Danger said:
Not only does it run smoother, but it also looks much, much better (that "washed out" look is instead very crisp), IMO.

It burrrrns us.

digital foundry and lens of truth are gonna have a field day with this heh.

zoukka

USD said:
A lot of people are saying that it's the evolution of Devil May Cry, but that ignores the legacy of Viewtiful Joe and its impact on Bayonetta's combat system. It's much closer to a full-3D Viewtiful Joe with DMC elements than it is the other way around.

Umm no.

And who was the person who said this was the best looking game ever? I'll add him to my memo... (I've watched the 360 videos too naturally).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
LLaMa-Tech said:
Is there any hope the PS3 version will be brought up to par to the 360 version?

(I can't believe I just said that)

don't think so , remember PG gave SEGA the source code after they finished the game , so considering that , it's a miracle ( from SEGA part ) that this port actually run fine on PS3 and not a complete disaster.

DMC4 does look much better on a technical level compared to Bayonetta, but this should really be expected. Consider the fact that Capcom is a company with a far higher number of development staff, who can afford to throw far more programmers onto a project than Platinum Games could, and it should be obvious as to why Bayonetta can't compete on a technical level.

That being said, its still a great looking game and that is primarily due to the art (Though some here seem to hate it)

A lot of people are saying that it's the evolution of Devil May Cry, but that ignores the legacy of Viewtiful Joe and its impact on Bayonetta's combat system. It's much closer to a full-3D Viewtiful Joe with DMC elements than it is the other way around.

This, the Viewtiful Joe influence is obvious (And not just in the combat either, the cutscenes and even the tutorial sequence absolutely scream VJ!)

FrankT

Sectus said:
DMC4 managed to maintain 60fps just about the entire game, except for one area (it had 60fps the entire demo for instance). Bayonetta does NOT maintain 60fps all the time in the demo, and who knows if there's other areas in the full game where it'll vary even more.

And even more importantly, DMC4 actually had up to 4xAA, while Bayonetta looks like a jaggy mess all the time. I'm not saying Bayonetta is a bad looking game, but it's a big step down compared to Capcom's work.

The AA here is lacking there is no two ways around it, but again the performance from I've played here sets the bar. That could change once I play the full game, but time will tell on that end.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm not sure about evolution of anything (Obviously not many folks played VJ), but that doesn't stop this game from being the greatest in the action genre to date.

Can't wait for the full version.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
zoukka said:
Umm no.

And who was the person who said this was the best looking game ever? I'll add him to my memo... (I've watched the 360 videos too naturally).
the impressions lead to believe it's more like VJ and less DMC. Which is a good thing IMO.

zoukka

Error said:
the impressions lead to believe it's more like VJ and less DMC. Which is a good thing IMO.

Well I felt it's just an improved version of DMC. Didn't really feel any VJ vibes outside the cut-scenes.

K' Dash

Nuclear Muffin said:
DMC4 does look much better on a technical level compared to Bayonetta, but this should really be expected. Consider the fact that Capcom is a company with a far higher number of development staff, who can afford to throw far more programmers onto a project than Platinum Games could, and it should be obvious as to why Bayonetta can't compete on a technical level.

That being said, its still a great looking game and that is primarily due to the art (Though some here seem to hate it)

This, the Viewtiful Joe influence is obvious (And not just in the combat either, the cutscenes and even the tutorial sequence absolutely scream VJ!)

I'll quote myself, cause I totally agree:

K' Dash said:
Years of experience have lead to this, I agree with you that it's a combined and refined experince of Kamiya's games, to me it feels like Viewtiful Joe and DMC fused together and refined to the max.

Sectus said:
DMC4 managed to maintain 60fps just about the entire game, except for one area (it had 60fps the entire demo for instance). Bayonetta does NOT maintain 60fps all the time in the demo, and who knows if there's other areas in the full game where it'll vary even more.

And even more importantly, DMC4 actually had up to 4xAA, while Bayonetta looks like a jaggy mess all the time. I'm not saying Bayonetta is a bad looking game, but it's a big step down compared to Capcom's work.

EDIT ^ What he said (Nuclear Muffin)

Zabka

DMC4 looked good, if a little bland effects-wise, except for the jungle area. I hope Bayonetta is more consistent.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Zabka said:
DMC4 looked good, if a little bland effects-wise, except for the jungle area. I hope Bayonetta is more consistent.
If anything, I expect people to be almost annoyed at the amount of flashy shit on screen while fighting. I love stuff like that, though.

Defunkled

I love how people blow things way out of proportion. Sure, the PS3 version may not run as well as the 360, but c'mon, this game is fun as hell and a little bit of screen tearing and framerate drops isn't gonna change that.

K' Dash

Defunkled said:
I love how people blow things way out of proportion. Sure, the PS3 version may not run as well as the 360, but c'mon, this game is fun as hell and a little bit of screen tearing and framerate drops isn't gonna change that.

thisisgafdude.gif

God, I'm starting to feel reaaaally tired cause of the waiting last night, went to bed at 12:00am but couldn't sleep until 2am or something like that and woke up at 5am to go to work.

Dave1988

Defunkled said:

Occasional frame drops is one thing, running at barely 30fps when it's supposed to be "silky smooth 60fps" is another.

USD

zoukka said:
Its the unique elements as well as the ones from Viewtiful Joe are what really make the combat what it is IMO. The fusion of aerial and ground combos, the two-button combat (combine with DMC delayed input system), evasion/Witch Time mechanics, the emphasis on finishers, and the battle structure, are what define the game, and most of those are either new or evolve from Viewtiful Joe. The basic combat elements come from Devil May Cry, but the important ones don't.

Violater

Holy shit just watched the gamersyde videos, its like night and day :/
The 360 version looks like it was going to jump off the screen in comparison.

zoukka

USD said:
Its the unique elements as well as the ones from Viewtiful Joe are what really make the combat what it is IMO. The fusion of aerial and ground combos, the two-button combat (combine with DMC delayed input system), evasion/Witch Time mechanics, the emphasis on finishers, and the battle structure, are what define the game, and most of those are either new or evolve from Viewtiful Joe. The basic combat elements come from Devil May Cry, but the important ones don't.

wat. DMC has aerial combat fused with ground combat. I don't even know what you mean with "two-button combat" and evasion has always been there. Witch time is from VJ I'll give you that one, but really this is DMC with 1% VJ and no the other way around.

jabipun

Dave1988 said:
Occasional frame drops is one thing, running at barely 30fps when it's supposed to be "silky smooth 60fps" is another.

As a person who has played the PS3 version, and who admits the 360 version is superior - this is simply untrue.

Bayonetta PS3 is not "running barely at 30 fps" - it simply has instances of slowdown and tearing. The game is still considered 60 fps on PS3. Just not as consistent as its 360 counterpart.

Also Bayonetta is better looking than DMC4: observe:

bayonetta-2.jpg

Devil_May_Cry_4_Pics_204-2.jpg

zoukka

jabipun said:
As a person who has played the PS3 version, and who admits the 360 version is superior - this is simply untrue.

Bayonetta PS3 is not "running barely at 30 fps" - it simply has instances of slowdown and tearing. The game is still considered 60 fps on PS3. Just not as consistent as its 360 counterpart.

Look your ass is talking.. The goddamn tutorial isn't locked to 60fps in the PS3 version let alone any part of the actual levels achieving that.

K' Dash

Shity cell phone pics at 5:30 in the morning, just seconds after finished downloading, took a picture of the english menus and title screen, it was still a little bit dark due to the hour.

330sbag.jpg

zwks3o.jpg

14wcehk.jpg

Minamu

The only bad thing I can think of, is that neither demo has gotten me closer to deciding on what version to preorder. I've had a blast with both versions so far. The first GOTY 2010 candidate for sure :D

USD

zoukka said:
wat. DMC has aerial combat fused with ground combat. I don't even know what you mean with "two-button combat" and evasion has always been there. Witch time is from VJ I'll give you that one, but really this is DMC with 1% VJ and no the other way around.
Aerial combat in DMC1 is one the game's defining elements, but it's very limited, essentially compared to games from its sequels and other games derived from its style. Viewtiful Joe uses very basic attacks, but how ground and air combat/evasion work are mostly the same. It's the application of that principle in Bayonetta that defines the aerial combat.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Minamu said:
The only bad thing I can think of, is that neither demo has gotten me closer to deciding on what version to preorder.
What?! You'd have to be borderline retarded not to get the 360 version if you've got the means.

Canova

Banned
so why did they even bother with PS3 version? don't they have to pay royalty fee to Sony for each unit sold?

the difference in quality between the two demos if fucking huge.

upon firing it up i was very happy to see that the 360 demo's menus were in english!

and my fears about the game not controlling well with a 360 pad were put to rest as it controls VERY WELL with it.

man this demo is awesome!

jett

D-Member
jabipun said:

I'd definitely not consider the PS3 demo a "60fps game". It never reaches 60, like zoukka said, not even in the tutorial where nothing is going on. Just watched the newest video at Gamersyde, man such a massive difference between the two versions.

FrankT

WickedLaharl said:
the difference in quality between the two demos if fucking huge.

i was also happy to see that the 360 demo's menus were in english!

and my fears about the game not controlling well with a 360 pad were put to rest as it controls VERY WELL with it.

man this demo is awesome!

Yea, I had zero issues with the 360 pad with the game. I believe I will download the PS3 version later just to see what all the fuss is about.

jabipun

jett said:
I'd definitely not consider the PS3 demo a "60fps game". It never reaches 60, like zoukka said, not even in the tutorial where nothing is going on. Just watched the newest video at Gamersyde, man such a massive difference between the two versions.

Hm, so it must be one of those pseudo 60 fps games like God of War 3 huh? Man the PS3 certainly struggles to do 60 fps.

imtehman

Banned
DeVeAn said:
I noticed that when the PS3 version IS indeed inferior, they only way to tell is to run them side by side while playing. Ignorance is bliss.

indeed, the psn version feels fine to me, but of course, i haven't tried the 360 demo yet.

jabipun

jett said:
What a stupid thing to say.

Can't think of an action game on PS3 in this vein other than DMC4 that runs at 60 fps. Sigma tried, God of War 3's devs. are flat out admitting the game drops to 30 fps during 'intense action sequences.' ... whatever damage control that is, Heavenly Sword barely did 30 :lol

Violater

imtehman said:
indeed, the psn version feels fine to me, but of course, i haven't tried the 360 demo yet.

The gamersyde videos are proof enough, the PSN version looked muddy before I even saw the 360 videos.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Can't wait for the Bayonetta cosplay attempts.

...And and interview with Sega's PS3 conversion team.

I mean, really? How many years has the Playstation brand supported parallel processing and developers still can't get their act together?

WickedLaharl said:
bayonetta controls great with a 360 controller.

if you have both consoles and you pick the ps3 version you're flatout crazy.

Wasn't this game also designed first on the 360 so the 360 controller would be first in mind when they designed this game/

ColdSoup

Neo Member
I have a question regarding the canceling system in bayonetta. Does bayonetta use pre-frame cancels or are there no pre-frame cancels in Bayonetta?

Top Bottom