• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta Demo Impressions Thread of the Evolution of Action Games

duckroll

Son of Godzilla said:
The clockwork sequence was fine up until the boss section, where it just became confusing as to what you were supposed to focus on. I fundamentally like the idea of a boss taking up the background of a section and forcing you to deal with basic combat with that added premise. I didn't like the idea of it just showing up out of nowhere and smacking you down for no good reason.

So yea, silly in a demo but potentially awesome in-game.

See, I agree that bosses in the background as a sort of lead-in to fighting them later in a stage, is an AWESOME thing. Many awesome platformers in the old days did this too, with bosses kinda lurking in the backgrounds being all huge and imposing while you went through the level. The problem here is as you said, if they randomly start getting in on the action when you shouldn't actually be fighting them, it just makes the entire set piece a mess.

I don't think there's much potential for it in-game either, because it looks like the entire sequence is just an interactive intro. It's probably meant to be messy and confusing, just to get you amped up to fight all these bosses and stuff later in the game. That doesn't mean I have to like it though. :)

She spanks angels and tells them that they've been naughty.

This makes my dick hard.

Congrats Platnium Games you've earned my money.

And her battle theme is so catchy. I NEEDZ SOUNDTRACK!!!

K' Dash

duckroll said:
Btw, is it just me, or is the Falling Clocktower sequence simply not as "impressive" as I sort of expected? I don't really feel the PS3 demo loses out by not having it, because content-wise it's a pretty terrible way of introducing any player to the game. It's also a huge cluttered mess.

The graphics are certainly impressive, but at the same time it's pretty awful game design. I'm really glad the game isn't actually like that, because the idea of fighting tons of enemies on a tiny platform while it's falling and there's a gazillion things in the background moving, sounds cool but doesn't really play that well.

It was cool to showcase the future bosses and stuff in the sequence by having them fly in and randomly fuck shit up, but it just made the entire sequence a pain in the ass to play. It just wasn't as fun as the rest of the game, and felt more like something I had to get through just to start the game.

Thoughts?

Some people don't like clutered background with so much things going on, but personally I LOVE it, I love this kid of things that makes the game feel ALIVE, to me is a matter of focus, you have to know when to focus on what you're doing and when to enjoy the scenery, I have no problem with that.

I have to find something I don't like about the demo but nothing comes to my mind.

jett

D-Member
AniHawk said:
That doesn't sound like my preconceived notion of you.

:lol Oh well.

Shito said:
Ok, a friend just told me: have you guys found Verse 2?
It's quite hidden: after the first fight, backtrack to the beginning of the demo, and enjoy the toughest fight you can find in here!

<3 this game.

EDIT: speaking about the PS3 demo, so "first fight" = the one by the fountain.

Thanks for the tip. I just tried out, it's indeed there. You get a fight with two "big" angels at the same time. PG should've included a harder difficulty in the demo because that is still as easy as the rest.

Peff

The problem with the clockwork sequence is that it's a pretty brutal way to introduce the player to the game. There are many enemies (more than in the following level in fact), the camera is away so it can be pretty hard to see the enemy's weapons shine with all that shit going on at once and the bosses attacking in the background were the icing on the cake. But I bet it'd make a great level once you have all the transformations and weapons :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The more I play of this the more it grows on.. it's just really fucking crazy though.

mibm

aka funkky
After playing with the demo, I still think that this is Devil May Cry with tits. Albeit with a much smoother and flashier presentation. I don't know whose idea it was, but the more you mash the button the more clothes Bayonetta loses is just genius. So thumbs up all around for being able to play DMC with an erection and not feeling weird about it afterward.

K' Dash

jett said:
Man, I LIKE the demo. I haven't shat on the game or anything.

Yeah you have:

jett said:
It's not unplayable,but it's pretty terrible. It never reaches 60fps, it hovers around 30fps most of the time, and that's with like only 3 enemies on screen. Screen tearing-sensitive people WILL find it unplayable though. :p

:lol

Shito

jett said:
Thanks for the tip. I just tried out, it's indeed there. You get a fight with two "big" angels at the same time. PG should've included a harder difficulty in the demo because that is still as easy as the rest.
Did you just stop at that or did you die here, not wanting to tell us?
Because you get a fight with two "big" angels at the same time, followed by another fight with *THREE* more of those angels. ; )

And her battle theme is so catchy. I NEEDZ SOUNDTRACK!!!
Main song and "Bayonetta" title-screen voice is done by Helena Noguerra, a french artsy singer.
She usually sings catchy and joyful tunes like this one.

anddo0

The more I play, the more I love it. Day one once again! It's shame the PS3 version isn't as good, but this is too much fun to pass up.

anddo0 said:
The more I play, the more I love it. Day one once again! It's shame the PS3 version isn't as good, but this is too much fun to pass up.

funny that someone pointed this out to you earlier and you ranted at them about how wrong they were

:lol :lol :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Agreed on the clocktower. I honestly didn't know the hell I was doing since there was just so much going on. Ps3 might have gotten the better deal demo wise. The Jeanne fight is pretty awesome and demostrates witch walk. Also the follow up on the chase with the zeus-like thing was pretty thrilling too.

Kuraudo

Banned
Will you be able to map controls in the final game? I find using the shoulder button to dodge a real pain in the ass.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
PS3 demo was fun. I was kind of out of it (tired) so I lost to the lady at the end.

Very stylish, wasn't as terrible graphically I was expecting, but I really had low expectations for it.
I'll try it on 360 when I get home.

I want the soundtrack too. Love the jazzy tracks.

anddo0

elrechazao said:
funny that someone pointed this out to you earlier and you ranted at them about how wrong they were

:lol :lol :lol

People change their minds... I didn't need him to make my decision for me. I may have jumped the gun by saying I'm taking it off my list. but, that's my only crime here. It doesn't change the fact that PS3 owners are getting the shaft once again.

K' Dash

anddo0 said:
People change their minds. but, I didn't need him to make my decision for me. I may have jumped the gun by saying I'm taking it off my list. but, that's my only crime here. It doesn't change the fact that PS3 owners are getting the shaft once again.

Big men accept their mistakes, welcome aboard the hype train brother.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
kiryogi said:
Agreed on the clocktower. I honestly didn't know the hell I was doing since there was just so much going on. Ps3 might have gotten the better deal demo wise. The Jeanne fight is pretty awesome and demostrates witch walk. Also the follow up on the chase with the zeus-like thing was pretty thrilling too.
yeh, pretty awful. almost died because I couldn't tell what was going on. it would've been ok, I guess, if they made you invincible during that particular sequence.

the second area looks super nice, and it runs buttery smooth. Superior version here, of course.

Jtwo said:
The more I play of this the more it grows on.. it's just really fucking crazy though.

Agreed. Just played through it twice and I still can't believe the visualization and theme of this game. I'm still shitty myself over that huge fucking black thing that kills shit. Amazing so far.

Darkman M

duckroll said:
Btw, is it just me, or is the Falling Clocktower sequence simply not as "impressive" as I sort of expected? I don't really feel the PS3 demo loses out by not having it, because content-wise it's a pretty terrible way of introducing any player to the game. It's also a huge cluttered mess.

The graphics are certainly impressive, but at the same time it's pretty awful game design. I'm really glad the game isn't actually like that, because the idea of fighting tons of enemies on a tiny platform while it's falling and there's a gazillion things in the background moving, sounds cool but doesn't really play that well.

It was cool to showcase the future bosses and stuff in the sequence by having them fly in and randomly fuck shit up, but it just made the entire sequence a pain in the ass to play. It just wasn't as fun as the rest of the game, and felt more like something I had to get through just to start the game.

Thoughts?

I agree the clock tower part i didn't know what the hell was going on, but when the demo switched off to the second part i was sold just from the silky smooth animations and great art direction. The combat is fun as hell and alot deeper then i thought i didn't do half the moves and combos available on my first run.

Mrbob

Don't have a 360 Japan account, so I got the demo on PS3. We all know about the technical differences between the two versions, so I won't rehash it. It did feel a bit sluggish at first on PS3 but I adjusted.

Game really does feel like DMC4++, but on super easy mode. If people were complaining about warrior difficulty in sigma 2, I wonder what they think of this? It was way too easy to enter witch mode and counter enemy attacks. There wasn't much skill to it at all. The enemies just slouch around the screen, and their attacks are all slow and easy to dodge. The combos are flashy, but I was expecting an action game revolution after all of the comments and it isn't here.

I'm still interested in the game and will probably pick it up in Jan (on 360 most likely i <3 female british accents), but I felt a little flash over substance with this PS3 demo. Of course this is only a small taste of the final game, and hopefully we can boost up the difficulty right away! Demo felt like "My first action game."

mujun

I turned it off after a couple of minutes. It was too busy and I didn't like the attacks the character has.

LaneDS

Played the demo (on PSN, is there a 360 demo out yet? Didn't check) and thought it was pretty amazing. I've soured on DMC/NG/GoW over the years, great games for what they are but each iteration felt like more of the same. This felt fresh, was completely ridiculous and hilarious, and was a lot of fun even though I didn't know what I was doing half the time.

Also didn't have a problem with the graphics. I understand it's the inferior version, but it still looked pretty great to me, having seen only that version.

Will buy.

kiryogi

Banned
Anyone really use her sword at all? I did it on my 2nd playthru of the ps3 ver. Not a big fan of it, it was a lot slower and not as versatile. As in her animations were a lot more beefy in terms of recovery.

jett

D-Member
K' Dash said:
Yeah you have:

:lol

The quality of the port has little to do with the quality of the game. Oh and selective bolding ftl. I know for a fact that some people find screen tearing insufferable.

Did you just stop at that or did you die here, not wanting to tell us?
Because you get a fight with two "big" angels at the same time, followed by another fight with *THREE* more of those angels. ; )

Eh, it was just two more big angels with some regular sized ones. If there were actually three big ones in there I didn't notice. But no, I didn't die. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have a choice: buy the inferior Ps3 version at the end of this month, or wait for the 360 version in January. It's a tough decision, and I really don't like the 360 controller for third person action games.

ReXXXSoprano said:
She spanks angels and tells them that they've been naughty.

This makes my dick hard.
some right wing Christian fundy who's never even seen a screenshot should start a campaign against it for poor ps3 port defeating "angels". And suggestive themes, "lollipop deepthroating sucking".

For the free publicity of course.

Mrbob said:
It was way too easy to enter witch mode and counter enemy attacks. There wasn't much skill to it at all. The enemies just slouch around the screen, and their attacks are all slow and easy to dodge. The combos are flashy, but I was expecting an action game revolution after all of the comments and it isn't here.

Oh yea, that's the other major impression that the game left me with. The dodging was far too wonky. The enemy attack animations were too slow and required dodging *far* too early to register. There's at least half a second between when you need to dodge and when they hit that simply doesn't count for anything.

As for the revolution, I'd say the insane cancelling in this game is by far the most that the genre's moved since fucking conception. I absolutely loathe the idea of going back to other games after experiencing it.

Shito

jett said:
Eh, it was just two more big angels with some regular sized ones. If there were actually three big ones in there I didn't notice. But no, I didn't die. :p
Well, there were two big angels as a first wave, and then three more.

To anyone complaining about the difficulty, I'd suggest to go and try this hidden Verse, as it requires a little bit more attention and concentration than the rest of the "easy as pie" demo.
Not really difficult per se, but I think it shows a little bit of what we can expect from the game after this first level.

CO_Andy

thetrin said:
I have a choice: buy the inferior Ps3 version at the end of this month, or wait for the 360 version in January. It's a tough decision, and I really don't like the 360 controller for third person action games.
If you're really anal about graphics and have some cash to burn then it might be worth your while to invest in a PS2 controller adapter for 360.

Darkman M

thetrin said:

Have you played the 360 demo yet? The controls seem to have been built for use with the 360 version here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, the PS3 version sucks right now. Without vertical sync, the whole thing feels sloppy and broken.

Please tell me the 360 version holds 60 fps with vertical sync. I'd rather have 30 fps with vsync than this shit.

Furthermore, Devil May Cry 4 LOOKED better than this game and held a solid 60. :\

Game is really fun, though, so I'm still looking forward to it. 360 version it is.

CO_Andy said:
Love these new-age beat' em up games, but i absolutely hate the constant camera adjustments you have to make.

God of War and The Red Star are examples of what the genre should strive for imo.

Yeah but those cameras are static and that brings in a different type of annoying.

Truth be told, you play these game long enough and you get used to it. I would even have noticed that the camera was troublesome if it was not for the fact that the default sensitivity was too slow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit...just holy shit. I love doing PPPKK·P for gun bitchslapping into giant fist action. I also tried Easy for the lulz and just hit Y constantly. My god the shit she does is insane; warps all over the place and goes into witchtime without you needing to actually do anything, along with doing random shit like charging the sword but dodging an attack mid charge to go into witchtime > really powerful strike. I have no idea how the other mode could actually be easier, lol.

Day -1, but dammit this makes the delay hurt that much more.

duckroll

Darkman M said:
Have you played the 360 demo yet? The controls seem to have been built for use with the 360 version here.

The controls are definitely better on the PS3 imo, especially for fans of the dualshock controller type. I just feel that the controls on the 360 are about as good as it can get for the controller, so I wouldn't mind playing it with that, especially since I feel it looks and runs much better on the 360.

Mdk7

This game is soooo good...
I've already played both the demos like 15 times, lol!

360 version is WAAAAY much better, but i probably like PS3 demo better ('cause it sucks you can't kill that temple guardian on the 360!).

Anyway this game is pure, motherfuckin GIGATON.

dark10x said:
Damn, the PS3 version sucks right now. Without vertical sync, the whole thing feels sloppy and broken.

Please tell me the 360 version holds 60 fps with vertical sync. I'd rather have 30 fps with vsync than this shit.

Furthermore, Devil May Cry 4 LOOKED better than this game and held a solid 60. :\

Game is really fun, though, so I'm still looking forward to it. 360 version it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kt00M8Ycgo&feature=sub

It looks awesome =/

sadface because I don't own a 360

I don't like DMC, so I'm surprised that I've enjoyed this demo. The dodge move changes everything for me (I hate how DMC focuses almost entirely on offence), it feels awesome, the way it's slows the enemies but not yourself when activated is a really nice touch too. I hate bullet times because of this very reason.

My main concern with the game right now is that the demo is way too easy. I haven't died once, neither the regular enemies or the bosses felt like a real treat. I wish there were harder difficulty to unlock like in Ninja Gaiden's demos.

Alcahest

Yeah, vsync where r u !?
Getting crazy tearing on PS3, even on the title screen or during fmvs ffs.
In game, raising camera speed to 1/2 (it's default 0) seem to help a bit (it set too slow by default anyway)
But tearing during FMVs.. gimme a break.

FrankT

dark10x said:

I can hook you up with my 360 dummy account if you want to try it.

onken

Well I played the demo today and technical issues aside, all I can say is I've never hated a main character in a game so much. Body proportions, costume, animation, just totally eye-melting hideous.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
kiryogi said:
Anyone really use her sword at all? I did it on my 2nd playthru of the ps3 ver. Not a big fan of it, it was a lot slower and not as versatile. As in her animations were a lot more beefy in terms of recovery.

*raises hand*

Played the demo 10~ times, probably 7 of them with that sword/shottie setup. :]

Mithos

Everyone that experience screen tearing is on plasma/lcd right?
I am on a CRT and I can't see any screen tearing, or its so fast I don't notice.

Edit:
PS3 version ofc. running 720p over HDMI on Philips 32PW9551.

MechaX

I've been playing the demo for the past two hours now and it didn't even feel like I've been playing anywhere close to that long. I'm playing the 360 version, by the way.

The Clock Tower was a pretty bad way to start some one off. They pretty much just throw you into waves and waves of enemies and I had no idea what in the hell was going on. What Sega/Platinum should have done was start the Metropolis level first then do the Clock Tower level, as the former has a much better way of easing the players into the action. After that, I had no problem getting into the groove of the combat.

Personally, I would like to see how the game handles things on higher difficulties. Sure, it definitely has its more button mashy-elements, but I could see the gameplay being immensely rewarding given the proper practice. By the end of my run, I was doing insane combos via jump canceling and weapon canceling. Speaking of which, I'm fucking surprised it has took this long for an action game to officially incorporate move canceling into the battle system itself (DMC3 did it second best, but its mode of canceling was hardly intentional). In one way, I wish Ninja Gaiden handled its dial-a-combos like this.

If I had to knock it for anything, the graphics certainly are not that hot and the art-direction is all over the place. But at least Bayonetta herself is something to look at.

Coming from an action game enthusiast, I can finally understand where all the hype is coming from. It definitely beats out NG2 and DMC4 single-handedly provided that Platinum does not completely drop the ball in the main game.

Top Bottom