• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I died FOUR TIMES on the QTE in Chapter 2. Now I at least understand how the timing works, but holy crap. Other than that it's amazing so far!

Yea, this really fucked up my ranking for that stage. Had mostly golds and a few plats, even completed all three alfheim portals in the chapter. Then BANG, three failed QTE's due to rough timing and I get a fucking Stone award.

Forgot how annoying they could be until memorized, plus doing the alfheim's for good ranks. Some of those alone are a pain in the ass. :(

Kinsei

Banned
Yea, this really fucked up my ranking for that stage. Had mostly golds and a few plats, even completed all three alfheim portals in the chapter. Then BANG, three failed QTE's due to rough timing and I get a fucking Stone award.

Forgot how annoying they could be until memorized, plus doing the alfheim's for good ranks. Some of those alone are a pain in the ass. :(

I'm really dreading some of the later alfheims. Out of Body Experience can go straight to inferno.

Dsyndrome

Thought I got deducted majorly on the prologue for bashing the dude's car, didn't realize til next next section that it was from me taking hits. I didn't think I got hit enough to negate all the bonus.

Brandon F

So how is the performance in this game, good? On par with 360 or any better?

It's almost identical to my memories of the 360 game. Don't expect to really notice much improvement without a direct comparison, but its a really solid version of the game.

Squishy3

Thought I got deducted majorly on the prologue for bashing the dude's car, didn't realize til next next section that it was from me taking hits. I didn't think I got hit enough to negate all the bonus.
The only way to get pure platinums is by taking no damage. You'll always only be able to go as high as a platinum if you get hit once.

Brandon F

I'm really dreading some of the later alfheims. Out of Body Experience can go straight to inferno.

Yep. Wouldn't mind if they were optional once for the reward, but having them forced for overall stage rankings kind of blows. I still recall the locations for many of them(so much backtracking!) and they are even more brutal on a fresh save without the assistance of certain accessories, weapons, or upgrades.

Spent two and a half hours completing chapter 2 alone because it had three portals and they could be real rough on a fresh play.

Kinsei

Banned
Yep. Wouldn't mind if they were optional once for the reward, but having them forced for overall stage rankings kind of blows. I still recall the locations for many of them(so much backtracking!) and they are even more brutal on a fresh save without the assistance of certain accessories, weapons, or upgrades.

Spent two and a half hours completing chapter 2 alone because it had three portals and they could be real rough on a fresh play.

At least failing them doesn't affect your rating. You can keep failing over and over until you finally manage to do them.

Squishy3

Controlling Samus' visor is worth the replay and purchase alone
I forgot to take the costume off during the final 2 chapters, but you damn well better believe I watched the final cutscene of the second to last chapter and flipped the visor down as she said that catchphrase.

kick51

Banned

Take out qtes, vehicle stages, finding secret fights for rank, and this would be a much more replayable game for me. I just beat NSIC on ps3 and 360 without putting much more effort into it. Not sure if i'll touch this when i get bayo 2.

This game is freaking insane, I mentioned in the other thread that I have a party to go to right now, but I don't feel like going .I'm having too much fun playing this. Finished chapter 2( got stuck trying to figure out how to cross a bridge cuz I am am idiot)

The second Alfheim with limited kicks/punches was a bit hard, but did it in 5 tries, with the first weapon.
Holding attacks with the PPKKK combo with some dodge offset for the win.
Already got a few PP/Platinum but that come from the Bayonetta 2 demo I think.

Yeah, I found using shotguns on your hands and spamming the 360 attack worked really well for this.

I've been playing for quite a few hours and I'm enjoying this much more than I did the first time. I think I stopped near chapter 5 and I'm already past that. Like you guys have said, the QTEs are still pretty lame and were a big factor of why I stopped playing the first time around, but I don't find them bothering me as much now. Maybe because I'm going into the mindset to just experience Bayo 1 all the way through rather than complete it 100%.

GulAtiCa

Really love the game so far. Only thing I dislike is that shooter mini-game, mainly cause I can't invert the controls.. Changing the 1st person y-axis in settings does nothing.

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah, I found using shotguns on your hands and spamming the 360 attack worked really well for this.

I've been playing for quite a few hours and I'm enjoying this much more than I did the first time. I think I stopped near chapter 5 and I'm already past that. Like you guys have said, the QTEs are still pretty lame and were a big factor of why I stopped playing the first time around, but I don't find them bothering me as much now. Maybe because I'm going into the mindset to just experience Bayo 1 all the way through rather than complete it 100%.

For the second Alfheim you should equip the Scarbrough Fair and purchase "Witch Twist" Position yourself to use Witch Twist each time underneath the Beloved and he should actually go down with only having to use the 7/7 Punch Attacks!

antitrop

Really love the game so far. Only thing I dislike is that shooter mini-game, mainly cause I can't invert the controls.. Changing the 1st person y-axis in settings does nothing.
Yeah, Angel Attack feels like a waste of time. It's so clunky, feels at odds with the rest of the game.

Even when I do well, I don't feel accomplished in it. It's so superfluous.

Ok I screwed up by not paying attention earlier. Where do I go to change the costumes?
I don't see anything in the menu (unless I'm blind)

Do I have to go to Rodin in TGoH?

tebunker

Banned
first time playing this, and I feel like I am getting my shit pushed in...not frustratingly mind you, but more in the way of, "well you cleared that area, but you did it pretty crappily"...

I want to gold or plat every chapter....this is going to be tough sledding

Auskeek

Anyone found out how to remove the MiiVerse icon for off TV play yet? It's the most annoying thing and my Wii U isn't connected to a TV.

antitrop

Beat the game on normal to unlock hard, beat the game on hard to unlock non-stop infinite climax.

When I unlocked non-stop infinite climax for the first time on 360, I got to Chapter 2 and decided that was probably a good time to play Mass Effect 2 or whatever else was coming out at that time. My body was not ready.

atr0cious

Anyone found out how to remove the MiiVerse icon for off TV play yet? It's the most annoying thing and my Wii U isn't connected to a TV.
I'm having this problem as well. The only gripe with the game so far. It's from a completely different color pallet, and constantly catches your eye.

BadWolf

When I unlocked non-stop infinite climax for the first time on 360, I got to Chapter 2 and decided that was probably a good time to play Mass Effect 2 or whatever else was coming out at that time.

Its not so bad as long as you play at mid or far range (touching enemies is a big no no in this game with normal attacks, it's counter city) and dodge offset for the weave attacks.

kick51

Banned
When I unlocked non-stop infinite climax for the first time on 360, I got to Chapter 2 and decided that was probably a good time to play Mass Effect 2 or whatever else was coming out at that time. My body was not ready.

Parry like hell and dodging is still effective.

Witch time is pretty OP. NSIC feels like the real game.

Squishy3

Its not so bad as long as you play at mid or far range (touching enemies is a big no no in this game with normal attacks, it's counter city) and dodge offset for the weave attacks.
I counter their counters. Fuck them. No fear. Gotta play it as aggressive as them.

BadWolf

I counter their counters. Fuck them. No fear. Gotta play it as aggressive as them.

Yeah but it's pointless since they will just counter you back, it messes with the flow.

If you attack from mid range while holding buttons to fire then you do damage, they can't interrupt you and you can build towards a weave attack. It's also a good way to build the combo meter.

Heck even whiffing attacks is better since the most important part is the weave attack.

stuminus3

It's almost identical to my memories of the 360 game. Don't expect to really notice much improvement without a direct comparison, but its a really solid version of the game.
I've been playing the 360 version a lot in recent weeks in anticipation (what can I said, it's one of my favorite games ever)... I've found the Wii port to be a fair bit nicer in comparison. That they fixed the screen tearing alone makes the world of difference in some areas.

Squishy3

Yeah but it's pointless since they will just counter you back, it messes with the flow.

If you attack from mid range while holding buttons to fire then you do damage, they can't interrupt you and you can build towards a weave attack. It's also a good way to build the combo meter.

Heck even whiffing attacks is better since the most important part is the weave attack.
Nope, I was aggressive as fuck when playing on NSIC and didn't regret it. There's nothing like repeatedly nailing counters on enemies while launching off wicked weaves.

BadWolf

Nope, I was aggressive as fuck when playing on NSIC and didn't regret it. There's nothing like repeatedly nailing counters on enemies while launching off wicked weaves.

Whatever works I guess :)

Getting counters and doing counters slows you down though, there is an animation to it, and countering all day doesn't help as much when surrounded by tougher enemies. The faster you get to the weave the better (that's where Panther comes in useful).

Brandon F

Yeah, Angel Attack feels like a waste of time. It's so clunky, feels at odds with the rest of the game.

Even when I do well, I don't feel accomplished in it. It's so superfluous.

Yea, watched Kamiya's commentary playthrough last week and he stated that Angel Attack was mostly implemented for inexperienced players to give them some a chance for bonus lollipops to save cash from the shop(rewards from it accrue beyond the inventory limit). Experienced players don't need or use those items so he put in some bonus reward if you can get 99 green lollipops in your inventory by playing well in the minigame. Dunno what it is though.

But yea, glad they removed it in the sequel.

This double Grace and Glory fight in chapter 6 is doing me in. First time player playing on normal. I haven't had too much trouble up to this point but these guys are kicking my ass left and right. I even have five life upgrades :l Their attacks are just really difficult for me to read. The piss filter certainly isn't helping the clarity of the action.

ugh

Going through Bayo 1 again (1,000/1000ed the 360 version way back) before I move on to part 2.

Load times seem a tad longer in the WiiU version, maybe my memory is off.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, after playing an hour and only finishing the prologue, I finally have a bit better idea how Bayonetta plays, and a new appreciation for the character.

The skintight suit and sexual appeal galore is there, but wow, Bayonetta is badass. It's a far cry from a damsel in distress. I appreciate the little facial animation details with eye or mouth movements. More expressive than I was expecting, and the voice actress is great.

Regarding the gameplay itself, the very first segment where it throws you in with no instructions had me concerned, since I practically can't SEE what is happening when things move so fast. However, after spending a lot of time on the combo screen, I am starting to piece things together a bit more, and I apprecate the witch time dodge bonus. Of course, once combat actually starts I promptly forget all the combos, but that's life.

Is there some way to bring up the combo practice screen outside of a chapter? Also, all the ground combos were fairly understandable except one that I had to Google:
I think it was PPPKK*P, but if I just pressed the buttons and nothing else, Bayonetta did a punishment animation on the ground instead of triggering the combo counter. It turns out you have to press the left analog away from the enemy before hitting the final punch, and that apparently makes you do the sweep properly.

BadWolf

Is it recorded anywhere what rank you got on each chapter on each difficulty? Seeing as you can bounce between them at will

Yup, when you are at the chapter screen and before you start there is a menu you can access (there is an option called Records or something of the like) and you can see the ranks there for each difficulty.

This double Grace and Glory fight in chapter 6 is doing me in. First time player playing on normal. I haven't had too much trouble up to this point but these guys are kicking my ass left and right. I even have five life upgrades :l Their attacks are just really difficult for me to read. The piss filter certainly isn't helping the clarity of the action.

ugh

Are you activating Witch Time by dodging at the last moment?

It's also very important to use weave attacks as that is where the damage is. PKP is probably the best combo in the game because of this as it gets you the weave attack quick.

Also when one of them does that whirlwind attack where they spin towards you, that's a free Witch Time. Just run up and dodge into him.

Is there some way to bring up the combo practice screen outside of a chapter? Also, all the ground combos were fairly understandable except one that I had to Google:

You can hit a button (it was Select on PS3) during the load screen to stay in practice mode during the load screen. There are no enemies though.

Colombo

I picked up the Special Edition here in Australia a few hours ago. So glad to see Bayonetta has it's own box. Immediately began playing it today. It's my introduction to the series so I held off playing Bayonetta 2 first. I played the first two chapters but I'm pretty terrible. Did manage to get one gold but I feel I have much to learn! I can see it's going to be a great game though.

Top Bottom