• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Tremor is detected in North Korea (up: nuclear test conducted)

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I really hope that Kim never gets a terminal disease or anything. He will definitely strike if he knows he is ok the way out.

We cannot let them continue to do this at what point do we say enough is enough. I dont wanna think that the line in the sand is them launching a nuke towards Los Angeles killing millions.

Joezie

I don't think the South is really helpless about that regard, but are they even actively trying to create a massive military arsenal? They have focused far more on infrastructure and quality of life and the like than actually building up their military. North Korea puts what little resources they have into the military. It's just different priorities. One is a rapidly changing liberal democracy that focuses on improving everything at break-neck speed and the other is a military state that is far behind the times in almost every aspect that isn't the military

ROK Forces are modernizing quite rapidly, so I wouldn't really worry about them. SK doesn't neglect its armed forces in that regard. They've got AWACS they're looking into, F-35A's to buy, setting up indigenous programs to build their own Fighter jets and helicopters and have a healthy and ramping up production of their K-2 Black Panther Main battle tanks.

What they don't have or lack is likely covered by the US forces in spades(Strategic Airlift, mid air refuling, advanced counter battery ect...).

They're smaller than the Norther forces but the ROK is no joke militarily. Unlike the North the ROK also has the benefit of drawing from US combat experience at both the individual and command levels. Rest assured, the South is far from defenseless, though ideally still wanting to avoid conflict for good reasons.

I don't think the South is really helpless about that regard, but are they even actively trying to create a massive military arsenal? They have focused far more on infrastructure and quality of life and the like than actually building up their military. North Korea puts what little resources they have into the military. It's just different priorities. One is a rapidly changing liberal democracy that focuses on improving everything at break-neck speed and the other is a military state that is far behind the times in almost every aspect that isn't the military

The ROK army is one of the largest and most sophisticated in the world. It's a huge focus of that society down to mandatory military service.

No matter how big and sophisticated though, North Korea's arsenal of conventional artillery and weaponry is large enough to be impossible to take out strategically, and has huge destructive potential due to how close it all is to major parts of South Korea.

If NK launches a nuke for San Francisco, I sure as fuck hope it's during day time PST. I want to be awake for that. I'd be pissed if I died in my sleep, or shortly after waking up. Fuck that, I'm haunting some people if that happens

We went from facing the threat of Seoul and Tokyo being possibly destroyed if we retaliated 10 years ago. Now it's Seoul, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, Chicago and a few others being on the line now.

Inaction is working well.

Yeah, world should have acted when only 50 million people would have died. /s

DiscoJer

At the risk of being nonchalant, is this really a big deal? They do it all the time. We know they have nukes. If they want to waste them on tests, well, it means one less.

It's the missiles that are worrisome.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
At the risk of being nonchalant, is this really a big deal? They do it all the time. We know they have nukes. If they want to waste them on tests, well, it means one less.

They don't do them "all the time" this is the sixth test in over a decade, and the weapon yield keeps increasing.

Woorloog

Banned

It matters in a sense that with a H-bomb warhead, even an inaccurate is a threat (well, more so than just an A-bomb). A-bombs have relatively small yield, and thus require quite a bit of accuracy. Yes, they're powerful, but depending on the target, "close enough" is not close enough.

H-bombs also scale up (eg Tsar Bomba) and are more efficient, meaning more bombs for the same amount of nuclear material.

JP_

Banned
We went from facing the threat of Seoul and Tokyo being possibly destroyed if we retaliated 10 years ago. Now it's Seoul, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, Chicago and a few others being on the line now.

Inaction is working well.
Almost certainly costing million of lives is a risky bet for merely the possibility of potentially saving millions of lives.

It's not a given that n.korea will actually launch a successful nuclear attack. We can't bet millions of lives on a big "maybe."

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
They do one after every US/SK military exercise, don't they?

MutFox

Banned
I'm really hoping I don't see news soon of some place being nuked.
Just knowing that so many innocent civilians were murdered is disgusting.

Dinskugga

I blame US for this shit

Stop provacing NK all the time.

First of all. Stop with the massive military things with SK right outside NK damn door

Ofc NK gonna respond with stuff like that. They are afraid US gonna do their global police thing

Its the same in EU with Russia. US/Nato doing military things with countrys around Russia. Ofc Russia responds.

alt27

I know this is like their 6th test but something needs to be done . China needs to step up here and stop this shit.

jdstorm

Banned
It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

This is all heading towards a inevitable mess and I honestly don't know what a realistic best case scenario could be.

Major nations give NK a seat at the big boy table, placate Kim Jong Un's ego and trade sanctions are lifted in exchange for a written agreement that adresses poverty and low quality of life for the average North Korean.

Maybe throw in a deal for another Trump Tower in NK to placate the USA

I blame US for this shit

First of all. Stop with the massive military things with SK right outside NK damn door

Ofc NK gonna respond with stuff like that. They are afraid US gonna do their global police thing

Its the same in EU with Russia. US/Nato doing military things with countrys around Russia. Ofc Russia responds.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
NK has confirmed that it has developed a hydrogen bomb small enough to fit on an ICBM?
MSNBC appears to say so.
Changes everything.

Nikodemos

xIq9rzli.jpg

<chuckles Sovietly>

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I blame US for this shit

9000 North Korean Won has been deposited into your account. The Dear Leader thanks you for your continued service.

Dazzler

We cannot let them continue to do this at what point do we say enough is enough. I dont wanna think that the line in the sand is them launching a nuke towards Los Angeles killing millions.

What do you propose doing?

Not trying to be snarky here, but there's literally no palatable solution to this mess. If there was, it would have been pursued by now

HeatBoost

This is basically a mini Cold War at this point, right?

The only difference is that instead of global cataclysm it'd probably just result in a huge humanitarian disaster and massive tragic loss of life.

Let's just hope NK's survival instinct is hearty as hell, and that Un's in relatively good mental health/has people around him willing to coup the fuck up if he starts doing anything extra suicidal.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

The only difference is that instead of global cataclysm it'd probably just result in a huge humanitarian disaster and massive tragic loss of life.

Let's just hope NK's survival instinct is hearty as hell, and that Un's in relatively good mental health/has people around him willing to coup the fuck up if he starts doing anything extra suicidal.

So instead of a cold war, it's an actual war. lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
9000 North Korean Won has been deposited into your account. The Dear Leader thanks you for your continued service.
Just because one points out the ineptitude of the US at containing/failing to exacerbate a military conflict that's been going on for decades doesn't make one pro-North Korea.

What do you propose doing?

Not trying to be snarky here, but there's literally no palatable solution to this mess. If there was, it would have been pursued by now

Pacifism, negotiations, and technological breakthroughs in anti-air technology are pretty much the only options. Although I don’t know what blowing up an H-bomb mid air would mean for the population below it

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
NK has confirmed that it has developed a hydrogen bomb small enough to fit on an ICBM?
MSNBC appears to say so.
Changes everything.
The difference between destroying a city and destroying a bigger city isn't that much in terms of deterrent strategy. The important part here is the miniaturisation, which has been a fait accompli for a while already.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just because one points out the ineptitude of the US at containing/failing to exacerbate a military conflict that's been going on for decades doesn't make one pro-North Korea.

Blaming the US for what North Korea does is absurd garbage. I know their track record isn't the best but not every single bad thing a nation does is the fault of US foreign policy. North Korea is awful with or without their weapons tests and the blame isn't on the US.

Will never happen but I am curious to see what NK would do if the US just completely pulled out of Asia one day.

cirrhosis

I... guess?

There is really no standard of a nuclear powered nation launching test missiles over a neighboring country, let alone one they threaten on a regular basis.

Now that DPRK is hydrogen-capable, who knows how the reactions to any additional test launches will go, especially if they follow the tract of the last one.

I blame US for this shit

North Korea has been testing nukes as long as I can remember. They write their own false history on the Korean war and have told their citizens that the US is their biggest enemy. But sure if you want to defend the propaganda regime and blame the US go ahead.

the drumbeating for war in this thread is kinda weird.

this is an increasingly bad situation but I don't think a preemptive strike is going to be the best option

Worst part is we have an orange turd as the US president who probably couldn’t even find NK on the map.

At least the SK president is better than the last one

NK has nukes they seem to have a delivery mechanism too. Its not like the US has not dealt with enemies with nukes before. diplomacy is the only way

this is an increasingly bad situation but I don't think a preemptive strike is going to be the best option

preemptive strike means the end of SK, Japan and China as we know it. NK be evaporated but at the price of millions dead
North Korea has been testing nukes as long as I can remember. They write their own false history on the Korean war and have told their citizens that the US is their biggest enemy. But sure if you want to defend the propaganda regime and blame the US go ahead.

your memory is short. they started 2006. also dont think that NK is the only country where people are tought that US is their biggest enemy. in fact the places that hold grudges against the US is increasing not decreasing.

nobody wants to defend NK but US should be a rational actor in all of this not an escalating factor.

Davide

Their nuclear capabilities seem to be progressing faster than ever and some action has to be taken. Either that, or diplomacy and letting NK stay as a nuclear power. I'm not sure the diplomatic approach is better.

Not even an American.

Dinskugga

I do not defend NK. I just saying thats US isnt really helping out when they do massive military operations with SK and flying bombplans around NK and showing off.

And every time US/SK are doing a military thing. What happens? Yes NK are doing something back. Like missil tests.

Its the same in EU. Nato doing massive military things around Russia. Russia responds with the same coin.

Its no rocket sience that countrys are failing massive with how to deal with NK. Military stuff is the worst method

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I do not defend NK. I just saying thats US isnt really helping out when they do massive military operations with SK and flying bombplans around NK and showing off.

And every time USSK are doing a military thing. What happens? Yes NK are doing something back. Like missil tests.

Its the same in EU. Nato doing massive military things around Russia. Russia responds with the same coin.

Its no rocket sience that countrys are failing massive with how to deal with NK. Military stuff is the worst method

The end result of US / SK "showing of forces" is basically nothing, but constant NK escalation is their own doing, it is not in reaction to war exercises. If anything, it shows North Korea that they can continue conducting nuclear weapons tests, continue firing missiles literally over Japan, and the worst that will happen is the US and SK will waste ammunition on hills near their border.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Blaming the US for what North Korea does is absurd garbage. I know their track record isn't the best but not every single bad thing a nation does is the fault of US foreign policy. North Korea is awful with or without their weapons tests and the blame isn't on the US.

Will never happen but I am curious to see what NK would do if the US just completely pulled out of Asia one day.
What we are seeing with North Korea is a regime trying to survive by using the most desperate measures (aka nukes) because all other alternatives have been exhausted. The fact that they have not been allowed to enter the international community, fully, is something that the US has a huge hand on, whether you agree with the strategy or not.
I always believe what NK state media claims, too.
South Korea is confirming the magnitude of the earthquake, not to mention this is falling within estimates that confirm a much higher payload than before. There's no reason to believe this is just bravado by the Kim regime.

I wouldn't much mind North Korea building out their nuclear arsenal if I didn't believe they would be more than happy to sale nuclear weapons/material to a death cult like ISIS. That's what has me concerned. Might be far fetched now, but as nuclear proliferation continues, maybe in 5 to 10 years? I don't like how any of this is shaping up.

Their nuclear capabilities seem to be progressing faster than ever and some action has to be taken. Either that, or diplomacy and letting NK stay as a nuclear power. I'm not sure the diplomatic approach is better.

Not even an American.

what way is there that doesnt end in millions of people dying. yeah that approach is better. nuclear weapons will not be used by NK if they are left alone. the reality is that they have them now and Kim cannot be removed like sadam or gadaffi.

In truth - while NK regards the US as it’s enemy. They will never ever be a military threat to the US.

The mistake is that the region has far too long relied on the US for assistance with deescalating the threat while the US has no real stakes in the game. The idea that a bomb from half way across the world will successfully land on SF, LA, or Chicago is pretty unlikely. Hawaii and Alaska are possibly targets, but given the example of Japan and Pearl Harbor - I don’t think NK will attack, if ever, a non-major city.

Tokyo and Seoul however, are potentially 5-10 minutes away from annihilation. But at least for Seoul, that’s status quo. Curious how the Japanese will get involved

Top Bottom