• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beach House - Depression Cherry 8/25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not feeling the track either. Hope its not what the whole album is going to sound like. But then again, I just want more of the same which I guess isn't fair.

Voidguts

But then again, I just want more of the same which I guess isn't fair.

yeah, I feel you - I respect them and their need/want to grow (whatever that means to them) and I'm hoping the track grows on me. either way, we got four classic albums in almost as many years from them - that's one hell of a streak, haha.

This new single is fantastic, I'm glad they are going a different direction. Dream pop to shoegaze isn't even that big of a transition, very excited for the album now after getting a bit burnt out on their last one.

Damn I just saw this and I'm excited! I think I'll be going to the Memphis show as well... Maybe we could have a mini-GAF meetup for it as it seems there are a few of us going.

Squalor

I'm laughing my ass off at the people in the "I don't like this. It doesn't sound like Beach House" crowd I've seen on various sites. I'm guessing these people started listening to Beach House somewhere between Teen Dream and Bloom.

This sounds more like Beach House Beach House. Scally's distortion and riff are a newer sound for the duo, but the mood, the intimacy, the organ, Legrand's vocals, and the sparse drum-machine percussion are all quintessential Beach House. It's just less immediate and large-room ready than the duo's most recent albums, which Legrand said they were going to get away from because they don't want their success and the fact that they're playing larger shows to dictate how they make the music they want to make.

It's not as stripped-down as I was expecting considering Legrand's comments, but it also still sounds as though it would be out of place on Teen Dream or Bloom.

I mean, I came in on Devotion in 08 and then listened to the self-titled. I wasn't as big a fan of Teen Dream or Bloom, but I liked them. Devotion/Beach House are still my favs.

I still think this doesn't really sound like them. Her voice was never this drowned out, and her voice has always been one of the main draws, for me.

Still, it's just one song in the entire album. I'm not abandoning ship or anything, and if they are now shifting from their brand of pop back to something more shoegazey, more power to them. It's just not for me.

kswiston

I'm laughing my ass off at the people in the "I don't like this. It doesn't sound like Beach House" crowd I've seen on various sites. I'm guessing these people started listening to Beach House somewhere between Teen Dream and Bloom.

This sounds more like Beach House Beach House. Scally's distortion and riff are a newer sound for the duo, but the mood, the intimacy, the organ, Legrand's vocals, and the sparse drum-machine percussion are all quintessential Beach House. It's just less immediate and large-room ready than the duo's most recent albums, which Legrand said they were going to get away from because they don't want their success and the fact that they're playing larger shows to dictate how they make the music they want to make.

It's not as stripped-down as I was expecting considering Legrand's comments, but it also still sounds as though it would be out of place on Teen Dream or Bloom.

I disagree that it sounds like their debut album. Perhaps that album had more distortion than Teen Dream or Bloom, but it also had those lazy tempos and vocals that are missing from the new track.

]
oh you mean 95% of Beach House fans

It's not a music thread without a few "I liked them before they were cool" comments :p

Aegus

I really need to listen to this like right now, but my home internet isn't working and the Sirius app is US only. Woe is me that I'm not immediately devouring every bit of this as Beach House are probably my favourite band of all time. Of all time!

Squalor

oh you mean 95% of Beach House fans
I mean, sure, let's throw out made-up percentages. Obviously they had gotten more popular between that time, but that doesn't mean people they have to be ignorant of their previous works.

I suppose it's those people's faults for not checking the band's back catalog to see where the sound had come from.
I disagree that it sounds like their debut album. Perhaps that album had more distortion than Teen Dream or Bloom, but it also had those lazy tempos and vocals that are missing from the new track.

It's not a music thread without a few "I liked them before they were cool" comments :p
The drum-machine percussion fits in with a majority of the tracks from Beach House. The tempo might be a little faster, but the simplicity and cadence are similar, certainly more similar than this is to the last two albums.

The same goes for her voice—this song might be the most drowned out I've heard her, but it's still unmistakable Victoria Legrand.

And no one said anything like that comment.

teraMEL0S

This is a very awesome band, but I never see them playing in Florida! I don't blame them, but I wish they made it easier for me to catch them live. Also, I've got my sister the loser edition vinyl preordered as a birthday gift. I was surprised to get that in time.

omgkitty

This is out there and really good. Honestly I was worried after their comments of stripping it down as I've never been able to get into their first two albums, but this feels like a great continuation from Teen Dream and Bloom.

I always thought their first album was near perfect, sounding a lot like Slowdive. But they've had a really good run with the previous two albums and now this one.

FerranMG

Excited for the new album announcement, but the track left me kinda cold.

Saw them live in Barcelona when they where touring Bloom and didn't think they were very good live. Still much prefer the albums.

Listened to this once, and nothing jumps out at me as outwardly pop as the first half of Bloom. The outro of PPP and Bluebird as a whole are beautiful though. Can't wait to go home and listen to this on headphone instead of iPod buds.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't understand this band.

Teen Dream was fantastic.

Bloom was horrible.

Depression Cherry is so-so.

And they're all more or less the same record. :S

The guitars on beyond love 😢😢😢😢😢

Whole track is piff. The rest of the album is really growing on me.

kswiston

Bloom was horrible.

Not sure what you are talking about because Teen Dream and Bloom don't really sound that similar beyond the fact that they were made by the same people.

TMC

Bloom was horrible.

Shocked-Doc-Rivers.gif

madkiller

The new record is definetely not for everyone. Especially those who are only familliar with Teen Dream and Bloom.

On my third listen now. Standout tracks: Sparks, Space Song, Beyond Love, 1037, Days of Candy

I was actually hoping for more shoegazey songs like Sparks.

Voidguts

after multiple listens Sparks has started to grow on me - mostly after the 3+ minute mark, though. depression cherries are all around me but i don't wanna burn myself out before the concert - i'm bummed to hear multiple posters say how bad they suck live tho, haha. :(

would be cool to chill w/ other fans at the memphis show though, pm me if you're going! or post here if there are more than like 2 of us! or not!

image.php

NOW I GOTTA LISTEN TO HOME, THANKS DUDE

Aegus

So I really like the album and will probably go into my top 10 for the year, but I can't help but wish they went all in on the shoegaze. If they did I'd think they'd have a contender for album of the decade.

Although saying that I pretty much put TD/Bloom in my top 10 of all times anyway.

how bad they suck live tho, haha. :(

I've seen them twice live and loved it both times! Gutted I'm likely going to miss out on their UK shows.

I'll have to give it a listen but Bloom hit me way harder than any of their stuff, so hearing they're reverting is disappointing.

How can anyone like only Teen Dream or only Bloom? Both of those albums go hand in hand very well.

Bloom is just fleshed out much better, better lyrics/themes, great drum tracks, and a bit more produced. Teen Dream feels more stripped down. The tracks don't feel like a cohesive whole, where Bloom almost feels like one long song with several different parts.

All in my opinion of course. I don't always like more produced/professional stuff but the sound they achieved on Bloom really hit me pretty hard.

Tetra-9

I'm blown away by this album. Fuck the haters. Beach house did something different (admittedly it's a strange mix of their old and new stuff) but they nailed it. The vocal harmonies are better than ever. Sure, the guitar tones are quite different and there isn't as much piano driven content but this album is proper good.

Wasn't as immediately grabbing as Bloom, but Levitation, Sparks, Space Song, Beyond Love and PPP are all really, really good.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Where are you all listening to the full album from?
Has it leaked or are they streaming it online early?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
On first listen, it sounds likes B-sides. Sparks is memorable, but I really don't recall what I just listened to otherwise. I guess this one's a slow burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom