• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beach House - Depression Cherry 8/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

Didn't know they had a new album. Saw them live once, but they aren't really a great live band, so I'll pass on the tour.

Dazzler

Didn't know they had a new album. Saw them live once, but they aren't really a great live band, so I'll pass on the tour.

They could have had a bad night when you saw them, but I've seen them twice in Vancouver and they were note perfect both times

JCX

They could have had a bad night when you saw them, but I've seen them twice in Vancouver and they were note perfect both times

Oh that set wasn't bad, it just isn't the type of music I'd normally go to a concert for. Everyone kind of just stood there in the crowd. I saw them at a music festival, which is probably not their best environment. A small theater would probably be nicer given their style.

Oh, yeah. It's like seeing Slowdive in concert, something I'd never do again unless I have a chair.

EDIT: Listening to the whole album now and glad to hear that "Sparks" was an exception, not the rule. Enjoying it so far.

robotrock

Banned
damn what the fuck

i had no idea there was a new beach house album damn wow

new ratatat and new beach house within like a month of each other

kswiston

damn what the fuck

i had no idea there was a new beach house album damn wow

new ratatat and new beach house within like a month of each other

Almost all of my favourite artists have dropped albums this year. It will be hard to top 2015 for my type of music in the next few years.

Jzero

Almost all of my favourite artists have dropped albums this year. It will be hard to top 2015 for my type of music in the next few years.
Same. Tame Impala played In L.A a couple days ago and I didn't even know about it 😢

Kevtones

Honestly… After 3-4 weeks of digesting it I think this might be their best.

I love all of their other records but this one is just hitting that spot for me. It's perfect.

Am i the only one who things that there's something of Joe Hisaishi Totoro's soundtrack in Bluebird?

Gaf, am I crazy? Am I?

Anyway, the more i listen to it, the more I love the record. A perfect synhtesis of all their previous efforts.

Sobriquet

Amazing album; I think it may be their best. The Amazon price is a no-brainer if you like records. The packaging is something special.

edit: WTF at the reviews. What?

Heard "Wildflower" in a music/movies shop (FOPP in London, UK) and had to Shazam to confirm it was Beach House cause the vocals sounded familiar. Cool track. Now buying the album. Got myself a ticket for Oct 31st. Only know them off the awesome music video for "Wishes".

Vinyl deal would have been amazing. Seriously considering paying sticker price though, that velvet sleeve and translucent disc is too cool to lose on a reprint.

Space Song is tied with A Walk in the Park for the Beach Housiest song (a good thing imo)

kswiston

edit: WTF at the reviews. What?

Some of them feel like the reviewers had "This isn't Boom. This isn't Boom. This isn't Boom. This isn't Boom. This isn't Boom." Going through their head the entire time they listened to the album.

Like, what does this mean:

NME.com said:
Otherwise the duo stick closely to their signature steady pacing and two-piece dynamic, with diminishing returns. There's only a certain amount you can do with just a voice and one bedroom instrumentalist. Emotionally speaking, the set-up affords Legrand a blank canvas for her exploration of the human condition, but sonically it's becoming increasingly uninteresting.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/reviews/beach-house/16219#0WoU4boQMXlo9uBp.99

Sorry Folk singers, instrumentalists, etc. If you put out more than two albums, you are played out and uninteresting.

Aselith

Got around to listening to this tonight and I really like the album. My only issue is I feel like the music is mixed a little too low and the vocals kind of override it. I think this is especially true for 10:37 which is also my favorite song from the album.

PPP is by far my favorite track.

Still really bitter I missed out on the Fonda shows. Maybe I'll get desperate and buy some scalped tickets online ;_;

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That $9 vinyl price looks like some mistake, that package looks kinda fancy to sell so cheap. I guess they're just being generous.

I wouldn't start people out on Beach House with this album, but it's definitely a good slow burn.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That $9 vinyl price looks like some mistake, that package looks kinda fancy to sell so cheap. I guess they're just being generous.
I ordered it regardless, but how do we know that it's the deluxe version ("Loser Edition") anyway? There's a standard black pressing after all.

fB8AaUZm.jpg

EDIT: Heh, the price just changed to $19.98 within the last few minutes.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Mixed opinion time:

A just-okay release for me.

I feel like they've been in the same space for the last few years. The last album that unique was Devotion.

That's funny. 10:37, Bluebird, and Days of Candy are the only songs i didn't really like.
Fixed

I find them to be pleasant.

Mixed opinion time:

A just-okay release for me.

I feel like they've been in the same space for the last few years. The last album that unique was Devotion.

Fixed

I find them to be pleasant.

i used to not like days of candy and then the back half hit me
i've listened to it (checks iTunes) 37 times in a row now

Really digging the new album. I grabbed tickets to see them on the 21st in Milwaukee at the Pabst Theater - anyone else here going to that show?

Squalor

Traveling to Columbus to see my best friend so we can see Beach House together in a few weeks. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Also, "Space Song" is my mother-fucking jam.

Vicious

I could never get into the first couple of Beach House albums outside a couple songs, and I would probably rate them both roughly 5 out of 10.

Teen Dream blew me away, however. I love that album and I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

Bloom was a great followup which I would say is a solid 8.

Depression Cherry, though... I've listened to it 3 times and it just isn't hitting me the way the last 2 albums did. Levitation, Beyond Love, 10:37 and Wildflower are good songs, but nothing stood out as great to me. I'd rate this album a 6.

I could never get into the first couple of Beach House albums outside a couple songs, and I would probably rate them both roughly 5 out of 10.

Teen Dream blew me away, however. I love that album and I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

Depression Cherry, though... I've listened to it 3 times and it just isn't hitting me the way the last 2 albums did. Levitation, Beyond Love, 10:37 and Wildflower are good songs, but nothing stood out as great to me. I'd rate this album a 6.

Not dismissing your opinion but the main slide guitar riff on Space Song and the long outro on PPP were major earworms for me. Warrants a few more listens to see if those songs click for you.

Squalor

Legrand said they were going back to their original sound. She didn't want the new popularity and the new people and bigger venues that came with that to dictate their music.

I'm glad they've gone to this route. They've crafted an amazing album because of it.

Not dismissing your opinion but the main slide guitar riff on Space Song and the long outro on PPP were major earworms for me. Warrants a few more listens to see if those songs click for you.

Those are my favorite parts of the album too.

Just wait until the back half of Days of Candy gets you the same way :)

Wasn't feeling this album at all until yesterday, and now I'm really liking it. When PPP was released as a single I hated it, but these instrumental verses in a lot of the songs are awesome. Really somber album, which should be just right when fall starts.

big ander

I'd go Teen Dream > Devotion > self-titled = Bloom > Depression Cherry
it's definitely their worst and is still good. Teen Dream and Bloom were huge and transportive after two claustrophobic and dreamy albums. Depression Cherry feels like them trying to shrink back down, a necessity after the climax that was "Irene", but they do so without recapturing their baroque weirdness. Low's new one is the better dream pop album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom