• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

So I'm on my 2nd run through of Insanity now.

I'm at day 3 of month 2.

Compared to the first time, I wouldn't say it's easier. The reason is that I'm now keeping up and making sure I have correct form throughout. I've also significantly reduced my calorie intake which has triggered the weight loss process nicely. I'm a competitive person so keeping up or exceeding the video staff is a big motivation for me to the point I create a mental database on who is good at what exercises.

While I had great results the first time through, I really feel that I'm doing it "right" this time around. Looking forward to feeling completely beaten up by end of month 2!

Ubersnug

I'm a competitive person so keeping up or exceeding the video staff is a big motivation for me to the point I create a mental database on who is good at what exercises.

Oooohh, there are a few people in Inanity's month 2 disks that wind me up the wrong way.

Like that guy with the braided hair, he totally loves himself! And the guy who almost knocks out Ariel at he end of Max Interval Circuit with that spinning back flip thing he does. Surprised they kept that in the video tbh.

Akiel (or however you spell his name is awesome though) 'YEAH BABY'!!!

Oooohh, there are a few people in Inanity's month 2 disks that wind me up the wrong way.

Like that guy with the braided hair, he totally loves himself! And the guy who almost knocks out Ariel at he end of Max Interval Circuit with that spinning back flip thing he does. Surprised they kept that in the video tbh.

Akiel (or however you spell his name is awesome though) 'YEAH BABY'!!!

Akeel takes more breaks than any other participant. He also has the lowest body fat percentage.

B-B-B-Bonus workout! Woke up at 2:30 this morning so I decided to workout on my off day. Did Core Speed. I think I find that one to be more difficult than Total Body Circuit.

As a meal replacement it's hard to go wrong with Shakeology. It's nutritionally dense and you can mix in fruit & other healthy ingredients for a huge variety. My wife & I have been drinking it daily since March of this year & love it.

If you're going to incorporate Shakeology as a meal replacement you're doing a lot to a) reduce calories and b) eat healthier food. For your other meals you should also try to eat mostly fresh vegetables and meats, and try to avoid processed food and refined carbs (sugar, white flour mostly). This'll go a long way to helping you burn fat as you do P90.

Shakeology is $129.95 plus shipping if you just want to buy one bag at a time, which is a 30 day supply. You can also get it on "home direct" automatic shipping, and if you do that shipping is free.

You can also get a "Challenge Pack", which is a workout program PLUS Shakeology on home direct shipping. They range in price from $140 to $205 with no shipping charge. Right now, Body Beast + Shakeology is on sale for $160. It's a good way to get a workout program for not much more than Shakeology by itself.

My favorite flavors are Vanilla and non-vegan Chocolate. The vegan Tropical Strawberry and vegan Chocolate are good too, but in my opinion not as good as the others. Greenberry isn't bad, but the other flavors to me are sooo much better.

Thanks for the response! I think I'll order some individual packs off of Amazon to get a feel for the taste, but I'm hoping to make this part of my routine. This could go a long way to help me with seeing P90 through to the finish.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Today was the last day of the Alpha Phase for my wife & I (well, not counting tomorrow's rest day & Sunday's stretch day). Total Body Circuit AND Lower Focus. Quite the combination! It was tough but we both pulled through. I'd set a goal to do all the reps in the plank sections, and I didn't quite make it. The pike sequence and the oblique push-ups are murder. But I did really well the rest of the workout, and I did BETTER on those tough sections than I had before, so progress is progress. Lower Focus went better than I thought it would.

My wife's doing great -- she's doing fewer & fewer modifications every workout. I'm very proud of her, this is the first workout program she's ever done and she's getting up early to do them with me each day, which is really against her nature (she is NOT a morning person!)

I started back up with Muscle Pharm: Assault this morning. It helped.

Oh yesterday at my Fit Club at work, we were supposed to do Alpha: Ab Intervals, but the DVD wouldn't play so we did Beta: Dynamic Core instead. OK so Beta is definitely tougher than Alpha -- but this was an awesome workout. Really looking forward to next week!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kinda sorta starting to get the idea behind insanity. I'm stronger at the moves, and able to push myself further, but I can tell as soon as I find myself thinking "oh yeah, I'm killing this level 1 drill" I'll be on to some new crazier workout that kicks my ass back into the ground.

My calves are like diamonds already. I find myself often feeling some strain on my back, though, and I've come close to twisting my ankle a couple times. :/

Korosenai

Kinda sorta starting to get the idea behind insanity. I'm stronger at the moves, and able to push myself further, but I can tell as soon as I find myself thinking "oh yeah, I'm killing this level 1 drill" I'll be on to some new crazier workout that kicks my ass back into the ground.

My calves are like diamonds already. I find myself often feeling some strain on my back, though, and I've come close to twisting my ankle a couple times. :/

Level 3 drills.... Hurts just thinking about it.

Well, I just 'kinda' did day 6 of insanity. I noticed yesterday that I couldn't give it my all. My breathing was much better than the previous days, but for some reason my body just refused to do some things (like jump).

I noticed the same today after the 6th day. I did better at the warmup and actually felt my body heat up in a way I never felt it before. But after the first set of cardio my body just wouldnt jump anymore (and I didn't even feel any pain). Then I quit the video, since I just felt my body couldn't go anymore.

What do you guys think? Anything I can do about it? I'm thinking about maybe trying the same day again tomorrow (normally a rest-day). Or should I just fully rest tomorrow and continue with week 2 on monday? Or perhaps should I delay everything a whole day? (thus, making monday the rest day and ending the program 1 day later).

In case you guys didn't know, I'm not following the nutricion guide, since I don't have the money to be able to afford it. And having to keep track of everything I eat, while also focusing completely on the training would be too much for my mind to take.

Any affordable way to keep my energy levels high without spending all day on nutricion?

Mastadon

Banned
Do you guys think T25 would be a good place to start for someone coming off a long term knee injury? I tore my ACL last year playing rugby and haven't been able to do any exercise other than swimming and light cycling. My knee is about 100% now, and more importantly I'm psychologically ready to use it again.

I've just done the first T25 workout (cardio) and it felt fine. Is there anything later in the programme that puts particular stress on the knee?

FOOTE

Do you guys think T25 would be a good place to start for someone coming off a long term knee injury? I tore my ACL last year playing rugby and haven't been able to do any exercise other than swimming and light cycling. My knee is about 100% now, and more importantly I'm psychologically ready to use it again.

I've just done the first T25 workout (cardio) and it felt fine. Is there anything later in the programme that puts particular stress on the knee?
Yeah, if you feel good, go for it. I destroyed my knee years ago so I know how it feels. Watch out for any warnings it gives you.

Korosenai

So to everyone doing t25, how are your results so far? Is it worth it? Any weight loss?

I'm finishing Insanity tomorrow and wondering if I should go to Asylum or T25.

FOOTE

So to everyone doing t25, how are your results so far? Is it worth it? Any weight loss?

I'm finishing Insanity tomorrow and wondering if I should go to Asylum or T25.
I was doing a lot of body beast so more calories less cardio. With almost three weeks finished I can really see my abs carving out again. Yup its worth it.

Well, I just 'kinda' did day 6 of insanity. I noticed yesterday that I couldn't give it my all. My breathing was much better than the previous days, but for some reason my body just refused to do some things (like jump).

I noticed the same today after the 6th day. I did better at the warmup and actually felt my body heat up in a way I never felt it before. But after the first set of cardio my body just wouldnt jump anymore (and I didn't even feel any pain). Then I quit the video, since I just felt my body couldn't go anymore.

What do you guys think? Anything I can do about it? I'm thinking about maybe trying the same day again tomorrow (normally a rest-day). Or should I just fully rest tomorrow and continue with week 2 on monday? Or perhaps should I delay everything a whole day? (thus, making monday the rest day and ending the program 1 day later).

In case you guys didn't know, I'm not following the nutricion guide, since I don't have the money to be able to afford it. And having to keep track of everything I eat, while also focusing completely on the training would be too much for my mind to take.

Any affordable way to keep my energy levels high without spending all day on nutricion?

Just rest and keep to the schedule. Don't worry about a bad day, it happens. There are plenty of days left to go harder.

For energy, try making up a green smoothie or similar for breakfast. Plenty of great recipes out there and very cheap.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Body Beast / T25 hybrid? That sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking as well lately, very tempting. Doing Body Beast right now though, but only got one month left. BB is kind of lacking in cardio and ab exercises I think. But OTOH, once I do Beast cardio it feels tougher than any plyo I ever did in P90X/X2. I may just be out of cardio shape though. :p

Just finished my last Yoga X and the whole program.

Can't really complain about the results even if I don't suddenly look like Shaun T. I'd say I'm fitter than I've been before in terms of numbers and managed to lose two or three pounds along the way (probably much more in fat).

It feels more like beginning than an end right now, so I'm just tossing up what to move onto next.

Just rest and keep to the schedule. Don't worry about a bad day, it happens. There are plenty of days left to go harder.

For energy, try making up a green smoothie for breakfast. Plenty of great recipes out there and very cheap.

Thanks. I'll see what I can do with the smoothie. I don't have a blender and I wonder if a cheap one (of roughly €30) will do. I most certainly can't afford one that's more expensive any day soon. And the fruit where I live is pretty expensive. Too expensive to make it a drink for every day, but 2-4 times a week should be doable.

gotoadgo

Thanks. I'll see what I can do with the smoothie. I don't have a blender and I wonder if a cheap one (of roughly €30) will do. I most certainly can't afford one that's more expensive any day soon. And the fruit where I live is pretty expensive. Too expensive to make it a drink for every day, but 2-4 times a week should be doable.
Blenders are the best. I bought a cheap one and it works a treat for making all kinds of smoothies I make for post workout. It'll be one of the best purchases you make when trying to get fit and healthy in my opinion.

I'll need to look that up.

Harry, how's your hybrid schedule working for you?

Here's my Body Beast/T25 hybrid. I'm going to start it next week, but here's the full Alpha schedule. Pretty simple, just incorporating the Bulk phase, minus Shoulders and Legs. I don't think Bulk Legs is very necessary during T25. Maybe I could alternate Bulk Shoulders and Bulk Back though? Let me know what you guys think:

1) Cardio/Bulk Chest
2) Speed 1.0
3) Total Body Circuit
4) Ab Intervals/Bulk Arms
5) Lower Focus/Cardio
6) Off
7) Bulk Back (Core Speed*)

1) Cardio/Bulk Chest
2) Total Body Circuit
3) Speed 1.0
4) Cardio/Bulk Arms
5) Lower Focus/Ab Intervals
6) Off

1) Total Body
2) Speed 1.0/Bulk Chest
3) Lower Focus
4) Cardio/Bulk Arms
5) Total Body/Ab Intervals
6) Off

1) Cardio/Bulk Chest
2) Total Body
3) Lower Focus
4) Total Body/Bulk Arms
5) Ab Intervals/Speed 1.0
6) Off

1) Total Body
2) Ab Intervals/Bulk Chest
3) Total Body
4) Cardio/Bulk Arms
5) Total Body/Lower Focus
6) Off

* optional

It's going well. I've been doing the Beast workouts in the morning and T25 after work. I have missed a few of the Beast workouts since work has been crazy as of late. These two programs were meant for each other.

jdavid459

Today is day 4 of T25 for me. Very sore. Absolutely dead after the workouts so far. Hope that gets easier. I'm trying to lose some fat I've gained since starting my desk job. Got a gut that I want off. Will these 25minute workouts really make me lose weight fast? Trying to shed 5-10lbs of fat this month...

Razorskin

----- ------
Today is day 4 of T25 for me. Very sore. Absolutely dead after the workouts so far. Hope that gets easier. I'm trying to lose some fat I've gained since starting my desk job. Got a gut that I want off. Will these 25minute workouts really make me lose weight fast? Trying to shed 5-10lbs of fat this month...

Those exercises and a strong diet should give tangible results.

For the first week of P90X i was a sore everywhere and it was pretty miserable, but past that I feel pretty great between workouts.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm going to Air Force bootcamp in one month so I'm stopping BB and going back to P90X.

Just finished a session of Chest & Back. My god, this will never get easier! Lifting weights makes your arms burn and everything, but P90X burns your arms and completely exhausts you to the point you wanna puke. I hate it but I love it indeed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Do not try to redo the same workout the next day. I had exactly the same experience on my first day 6. You are meant to feel completely wiped as much of the time as possible; it's working. Next time you get Plyo Circuit is wednesday; you will find you're able to push a lot further even if you still can't finish.

Myfitnesspal.com can help you a lot with nutrition tracking and calories burned, without requiring you to literally count every nutrition fact.

Just stick with it, I'm right there with you.

Speaking of which... Cardio Abs for the first time... directly after Pure Cardio eh? If you say so. Holy cow... did my best and forgot the rest. Seems to be the only video my crush is in besides Strength and Resistance too, so it was extra embarrassing. I just collapsed into a pool after the series of plank exercises.

Insanity is growing on me, but it's SO high-impact. Really glad I'm doing this stuff on carpet and a mat...

Push comes to shove though, I've lost 4.5 pounds in 13 days. Tough to argue.
Fresh baby spinach and frozen fruit are pretty cheap and go a long way.

Ixian

Insane Abs is even better than Cardio Abs!

First day off during my third run of Insanity. Might give a T25 video a shot after I get back from the movies later, to see what it's like.

big_z

Agreed. Insane abs is waaaaay better than cardio abs.

It's better but it also twice as long and doesn't have Liz.

After a few runs through insanity i started to find the ab videos to drag a bit. I ended up putting together my own quick ab routine that rips them up good and do it more often. Better results less time.

Those saying some of the insanity people annoy them I kind of agree. Akeeo is always on break, the jersey shore guys are knobs, Darren can't stretch worth a shit and that girl that spits on the floor... But at the same time I kind of like that they feel like a group of real people. The T25 cast feels a lot more robotic. It's more professional but also kinda boring.

I started Beta T25 early this week because I was feeling good and will be on the road in a couple weeks for work. Speed 2.0 is the real deal; it starts quick and never lets up.

Officially a P90x grad!!!! So proud of myself....now on to P90X2 tomorrow.....

Will I lose all my gains from P90x because it looks like X2 focuses more on stability?

walei

I am starting my last week of Alpha T25 today... and I see three Total Body Workout sessions... hold me....

Can't wait to get into Beta and start lifting those weights, I really want to gain some muscles.

Hmm, finally doing the last day of my recovery week tomorrow (on my birthday no less!) and then after my rest day month 2 begins.

Do people do the first session of Max Interval Circuit straight after the fitness test or after a few hours?

Thanks for the support guys!

Anyway, today same thing was happening as before. I decided to take a rest of almost a full set (roughly 3 minutes) about halfway through, but when I started again I didn't get much further than a few jumps. Decided to call it off with roughly 10 minutes left, but also did a cooldown (well, shorter version of it).

I think my body didn't know its limits at first and that why I could go beyond them for the first few days, but now that it experienced being pushed, it seems like it's preventing me from pushing it that far again.

I haven't given up yet though, I'll just try again tomorrow. At some point my will should overpower my body saying 'no more', when I just know there's much more left in me. My body needs to learn that it's not enough until it aches all over.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Eating chicken all day to hit those protein macros pisses me off.

Add in some tuna and turkey. Turkey's got an amazing amount of protein per ounce.

Officially a P90x grad!!!! So proud of myself....now on to P90X2 tomorrow.....

Will I lose all my gains from P90x because it looks like X2 focuses more on stability?

Congrats!!!! And nope, as mentioned you won't lose your gains. X2 focuses on strength AND stability, so you'll be doing many of the same moves but in an unstable position (i.e. one armed curls with one leg on a bench, shoulder presses on a stability ball, and of course push-ups on medicine balls). X2's awesome.

I am starting my last week of Alpha T25 today... and I see three Total Body Workout sessions... hold me....

Can't wait to get into Beta and start lifting those weights, I really want to gain some muscles.

That was last week for my wife & I. We started Beta this morning. As Shaun T says, "I'm through playin' with you! This is BETA." Beta Cardio is tougher than all the Alpha workouts except Total Body Circuit. A great workout.

Hmm, finally doing the last day of my recovery week tomorrow (on my birthday no less!) and then after my rest day month 2 begins.

Do people do the first session of Max Interval Circuit straight after the fitness test or after a few hours?

When I did Insanity last year, I did the fit test on my last recovery day and then Max Interval Circuit by itself. I don't recall when I fit in the other fit tests.

Thanks for the support guys!

Anyway, today same thing was happening as before. I decided to take a rest of almost a full set (roughly 3 minutes) about halfway through, but when I started again I didn't get much further than a few jumps. Decided to call it off with roughly 10 minutes left, but also did a cooldown (well, shorter version of it).

I think my body didn't know its limits at first and that why I could go beyond them for the first few days, but now that it experienced being pushed, it seems like it's preventing me from pushing it that far again.

I haven't given up yet though, I'll just try again tomorrow. At some point my will should overpower my body saying 'no more', when I just know there's much more left in me. My body needs to learn that it's not enough until it aches all over.

You should try to at least keep moving -- you don't want to rest that long because your heart rate'll drop too low, and the point of Insanity is to keep your heart rate up. But if you're running out of gas, you might want to consider a pre-workout drink, like Beachbody's Energy & Endurance formula or Muscle Pharm's Assault, which several of us in this thread use myself included. You could also just be pushing too hard early on -- you might want to work on pacing yourself a bit so you can get through the entire workout. It's better to finish the whole thing going a bit more slowly (but with proper form) than to burn out too early & not finish.

Are you using a heart rate monitor? If not I highly recommend one. Insanity's all about the heart rate.

Top Bottom