• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

Yuuichi

What version?

Round 1 is actually a Japanese chain, so they tend to carry the latest of everything on the official E-amuse network, and are the only way to play on real E-amuse in the US. Any other places with networked machines machines run on another network that you can find about on your own time, as I can't really talk about it here (you cant legal me).

Round 1 is actually a Japanese chain, so they tend to carry the latest of everything on the official E-amuse network, and are the only way to play on real E-amuse in the US. Any other places with networked machines machines run on another network that you can find about on your own time, as I can't really talk about it here (you cant legal me).

Not everything - locations that carry DDR, pop'n, and jubeat tend to be running older versions offline due to the necessary licensing arrangements for those games not being completed.

Yuuichi

Not everything - locations that carry DDR, pop'n, and jubeat tend to be running older versions offline due to the necessary licensing arrangements for those games not being completed.

Welp, I was misinformed. I've actually never been (trying to fix this) so I just go off hearsay.

mothball

So it looks like Round 1 has opened in Arlington TX. A bit of a drive for me, but they do have IIDX and Guitadora and other Japanese arcade games.

Went there yesterday. 45 minute drive, but before it opened the only other option was the 3 hour drive to Austin, so I guess it's not too bad. First time playing on a real cab and the buttons were nice, but the increased turntable distance wrecked me so I was barely passing 9s (though I managed Mei H after a second try). eAmuse wasn't working; don't know whether it's not set up at all or if it was just having problems that day. Doesn't matter too much since I don't have a card anyway.

Anyone happen to know the arcade turntable distance from the buttons? I wanna try simulating it with my USKOC.

Yuuichi

Went there yesterday. 45 minute drive, but before it opened the only other option was the 3 hour drive to Austin, so I guess it's not too bad. First time playing on a real cab and the buttons were nice, but the increased turntable distance wrecked me so I was barely passing 9s (though I managed Mei H after a second try). eAmuse wasn't working; don't know whether it's not set up at all or if it was just having problems that day. Doesn't matter too much since I don't have a card anyway.

Anyone happen to know the arcade turntable distance from the buttons? I wanna try simulating it with my USKOC.

I don't know the actual distance but you should be able to look it up. A quick reference based on my JKOC and hand size tells me that the turntable is about where the sticker on the center of the turntable is, because it's about where my pinky reaches while on 3 and I can scratch like that (with at least a cm of my finger on the turntable) on arcade specs.

eAmusement goes on maintenance daily between 5 AM - 7 AM JST. This works out to 2 PM - 4 PM CST. Japan does not observe daylight savings so adjust this period accordingly by an hour during CDT. Basically, get your rounds in early or just go later in the evening.

If you want a card I can drop one in the mail for you for $10. Shoot me a message. (Alternatively, I think someone is organizing a group buy of cards from me on a Facebook group or something, because lack of cards seems to be a common problem at the TX R1.)

So if you live near a location running IIDX (or any other Bemani) on Programmed World, you had best do so in the next day. Programmed World as a whole is shutting down effective this Sunday, March 8 at 8 PM EDT.

daegan

I have a couple friends that have stayed more involved with the scene than I have, and it's frustrating to watch PW go down. I just want Konami to make some reasonably simple way for people like me to be able to play these games. It doesn't have to be affordable, just not cabinet expensive either. But with how home versions have been all but forgotten I'm not holding my breath.

cj_iwakura

What the hell? Do they have legal precedent to do that?

And I also believe there's user-made servers to circumvent the Bemani network BS.

What the hell? Do they have legal precedent to do that?

And I also believe there's user-made servers to circumvent the Bemani network BS.
Programmed World -is- the user-made server for arcade machines, built to support arcades that imported machines for public use. There's more to it that I'm uncomfortable discussing in public, but yes, this is very much within their rights.

daegan

The best comparison I can think of is someone reverse-engineering an MMO server for a still-supported game that a company still sells subscriptions for, just in another market.

cj_iwakura

It was bound to happen :( And Konami isn't smart enough anymore to do a home version of IIDX these days.

It's a very Square Enix-tier move. "We won't release it, but we don't want you playing it on your own either."

And this isn't like Type-0; arcades bought these cabinets. It's not their fault you won't localize them or support the US market.

Is there a source on this, by the way? No Bemanistyle, and they were my avenue for stuff like this back in the day.

Kumubou

It's a very Square Enix-tier move. "We won't release it, but we don't want you playing it on your own either."

And this isn't like Type-0; arcades bought these cabinets. It's not their fault you won't localize them or support the US market.

Is there a source on this, by the way? No Bemanistyle, and they were my avenue for stuff like this back in the day.
There's no public source of the network going down to my knowledge, but I've heard the exact same thing myself on Twitter and the like and nothing to the contrary.

The issue is that the game's are not sold like they were in the past. The cabinet costs have come down (about half of what they were a few years ago is the number I've heard from a couple of people) and the updates are free -- but now you have to pay e-amuse license fees and per-game fees. Konami doesn't have the infrastructure in place to handle payments in the US (never mind resolving issues like daily network maintenance occurring during prime time in the US), and I doubt any arcade operator (outside of Round 1) could afford the fees. And even if the cabinet they import is a legit version of Pendual, what happens when they move on to the next version? It's pretty clear that there are cabinets here that started as pre-Tricoro cabinets now running the latest version, so that data has to be coming from somewhere, and I would imagine that would be a huge concern as well.

I'm not even going to pretend I have any idea of the legal implications of machines licensed in this matter, and while it may be an interesting legal question I doubt anyone involved has the resources or wherewithal to find out.

I also get the general impression that Konami wishes the international fandom for Bemani games just didn't exist, and that it's been a huge net negative to them. All it really got them were a few failed US releases and heartburn in the forms of things like In The Groove and Programmed World.

cj_iwakura

There's no public source of the network going down to my knowledge, but I've heard the exact same thing myself on Twitter and the like and nothing to the contrary.

The issue is that the game's are not sold like they were in the past. The cabinet costs have come down (about half of what they were a few years ago is the number I've heard from a couple of people) and the updates are free -- but now you have to pay e-amuse license fees and per-game fees. Konami doesn't have the infrastructure in place to handle payments in the US (never mind resolving issues like daily network maintenance occurring during prime time in the US), and I doubt any arcade operator (outside of Round 1) could afford the fees. And even if the cabinet they import is a legit version of Pendual, what happens when they move on to the next version? It's pretty clear that there are cabinets here that started as pre-Tricoro cabinets now running the latest version, so that data has to be coming from somewhere, and I would imagine that would be a huge concern as well.

I'm not even going to pretend I have any idea of the legal implications of machines licensed in this matter, and while it may be an interesting legal question I doubt anyone involved has the resources or wherewithal to find out.

I also get the general impression that Konami wishes the international fandom for Bemani games just didn't exist, and that it's been a huge net negative to them. All it really got them were a few failed US releases and heartburn in the forms of things like In The Groove and Programmed World.

I'm skeptical that using a custom server to run an online game that you legitimately purchased could be considered illegal. Immoral, maybe('for sale and use in Japan only'), but not illegal.

Aizo

Banned
Damn. Empress is pretty expensive nowadays, and controller prices are crazy :/ I guess I have to wait till I move back to Japan, and just go to the arcades until I can try to become decent at them. Even on Japanese Amazon, empress is like 15,000 yen.

I didn't post again after saying I watch people play doubles, but I ended up playing at my favorite gamecenter and getting my ass kicked super hard.

Edit: Is another console iteration unlikely?

zeroroute

Banned
I'm skeptical that using a custom server to run an online game that you legitimately purchased could be considered illegal. Immoral, maybe('for sale and use in Japan only'), but not illegal.

Wounded to hear about this, considering I live 30 mins from a DDR2014 cab. Any chance we could get a big youtuber like ReviewTechUSA to do a video on this?

daegan

The thing is, I've heard that the games now are leased, not sold. So if that's the case technically it's not possible for anyone to "own" a IIDX running Pendual.

Kumubou

There's no chance in hell. They already skipped PS3, and it's even less likely they have the budget to make a PS4 IIDX controller.
I think it would be very possible -- it just wouldn't make any financial sense, since it would gut their arcade revenues way too much. The only way I could see it making sense is doing one final release after the final version of the arcade version (whenever that is -- and given the general performance of arcades in Japan, that's probably sooner rather than later), and then use that to sell most of the series as DLC as one last squeeze of that rock.

Yeah, I've heard that what Konami has going on with arcade operators in Japan is more of a profit-sharing venture. Since Konami uses their own proprietary payment system in Paseli, the operators don't see any of that money until Konami gives them their cut.

Very sad to see PW go, even if it was just a matter of time until this happened. The work they did to reverse engineer all that stuff is nothing short of amazing, and I regret only going to my local machine a couple of times. Heading over there tonight for one last session.

I just want to mash buttons to music Konami...

Yuuichi

The politics involved in this are much more complex than most of you realize, and I'd advise against uninformed speculation, there's already enough misinformation out there. I'd like to tell you more but most of the information is from private sources who will remain private.

What I will say, commenting on several of the below topics:

Another official home release of any kind is about as likely as me winning the lottery jackpot.

IIDX and like games are still "Sold" but a percentage of paseli sales go to konami.

Konami's legal standing doesn't matter.

and a final note: we will know more on Monday.

TL21xx

Banned
Just shared the news with the folks at UFO. Mood changed quite a bit at the "funeral". About time we got some official support.

TL21xx

Banned
So this means they can go official?

Potentially, BUT it's going to depend on how the system is set up. The current way that Konami handles things through Paseli makes it harder for arcades to turn a profit on these machines. We will have to just wait and see how this will work out.

cj_iwakura

Potentially, BUT it's going to depend on how the system is set up. The current way that Konami handles things through Paseli makes it harder for arcades to turn a profit on these machines. We will have to just wait and see how this will work out.

To be fair, I bet IIDX isn't the most profitable venture to begin with. I bet it's more a labor of love supported by other machines at the arcade.

Yuuichi

I also posted this on sows.

【Important】eAMUSEMENT Site Global Service Announcement

Release Date: 2015.03.19 7:00 (JST) ~

Thank you for continued usage of eAMUSEMENT.
This site, though previously only available in Japan, now we will release the eAMUSEMENT site service targeting regions other than Japan.

<New Customers>
Because you select a country when registering, please do not list an incorrect country, as you will be able to register. If you already have a Konami ID, please login with that ID. If you do not currently posses a Konami ID, you may register here.

https://p.eagate.573.jp/gate/k/newcomer.html

<Existing Customers>
When you access the site once global access begins, please confirm the country to which your Konami ID is registered. You will also need to agree to the terms of use, following which you may continue to use the eAMUSEMENT site. If registering in regions other than Japan, you will not be able to receive the Japanese services. Because you cannot change the regional information of a Konami ID after registration, if you are in a different country than provided, please register a new account.

Tain

I didn't realize how quickly R1 was expanding, but a friend of mine was telling me about it over the weekend and it sounds great.

Good all around.

Aizo

Banned
There's no chance in hell. They already skipped PS3, and it's even less likely they have the budget to make a PS4 IIDX controller.
Well... I've been staring at a FP7 EMP for a few hours. I definitely can't pull the trigger right now, though. I would buy a cheaper controller, but it's over $100 anyway... May as well go all out if I ever get one.

Aizo

Banned
I don't mean to double post, but damn... I didn't know this thread was so dead.

My friend has one of these controllers. Is it significantly better than other controllers?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I didn't know this thread was so dead.
Konami's making it pretty difficult to keep players interested in Pendual if songs like this are what we have to look forward to as special unlocks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y610QEB-ht8

Not to mention all the turmoil around the company in general lately. Nothing really hints that IIDX/Bemani specifically is dead and concepts like Premuim Free with Paseli ensures that the true hardcore players continue to pay the bills, but the general horizon looks pretty bleak in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile, non key sounded Pendual BMS files are in the wild, there's more work being done behind the scenes on the old 5key stuff by the fanbase, and there's a play-everything simulator in the works which I want to talk more about once I know it can do what I want it to do.
My friend has one of these controllers. Is it significantly better than other controllers?
PEE is more arcade precise than a FP7 in terms of dimension layout. I'd be inclined to take the former if I would be willing to commit that kind of money on a controller (which I did).

Aizo

Banned
I guess I'm starting to question if I should get into this or not. If the arcade future looks bleak, I don't know what I'd be playing for.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The yearly BOF releases and a few thousand other fanmade songs out there, more so if you stick to 7key (as well as bother to rank your scores against other players on the homebrew score servers).

Let's see, how many unique songs do I have records for in my files... 926 plus 1256, that's 2182, and that's just 14key charts. You can probably double that for 7key. 4000 2 minute songs played back to back would be about 133 hours. 5 days worth of music for a music game seems like it would take a really long time to exhaust.

It shouldn't be much longer until we start hearing about IIDX 23, considering 20 & 21 both came out in June. Anyone have any predictions?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The last three styles have featured the themes of trinity (Tricoro), war (Spada), and duality (Pendual). With Pendual coming after Spada (and Pendual not having too many dark songs), we're due for a dark theme and they might try to continue an underlying numeric basis.

Two possibilities come from this.

1) IIDX 23 - Singularity. The main visual theme incorporates a motif of circuitry, electronics, data processing, &c.; sort of like The Matrix in mentality or even hearkening back to the Cyber Mind designs they had in some points of 3rd and 4th Style. The song roster is basically a new Spada, and is capped off with five new Prim songs.

2) IIDX 23 - Quadrophenia. Rather than going from 3 to 2 to 1, they go to 4 instead. Visual themes hearken to massive speakers and walls of sound and the like. However, with 4 being the unlucky number of death, it is here that it comes to be known that this is essentially IIDX The Final. The song roster is one last hurrah to those few remaining on staff to give their final farewells, and is capped off with five new Prim songs.

cj_iwakura

I don't know, Konami are not in the best of shape right now. While they could badly use some good PR, does their moron of a CEO even care about IIDX?

Also, I love how we're still in Gaming, heh.

1) IIDX 23 - Singularity. The main visual theme incorporates a motif of circuitry, electronics, data processing, &c.; sort of like The Matrix in mentality or even hearkening back to the Cyber Mind designs they had in some points of 3rd and 4th Style. The song roster is basically a new Spada, and is capped off with five new Prim songs.
I like this one, but in all honesty your second possibility is far more likely these days. :/

I was cleaning out my storage and came across this. These used to go for a good amount of money. Anyone interested in buying, otherwise i'll sell it on that pig website.

Wq2xQA4.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't know, Konami are not in the best of shape right now. While they could badly use some good PR, does their moron of a CEO even care about IIDX?

Also, I love how we're still in Gaming, heh.

They most definitely care about arcades as they continue to pump new games and releases such as sound voltex and iidx.

Top Bottom