• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behind the scenes images of Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft from Tomb Raider Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
hqdefault.jpg

farisr

Loved her in UNCLE, haven't seen any of her other movies though two are on the to watch list

She can pull it off, but I have no faith in this movie. Assassin's Creed had a lot going for it, the director, the actors, yet still turned out like that. Will wait on trailers to see how it's shaping up to be.

pHand

"Classic" Lara is gone, thank god. What made her the best, in your opinion?

I personally preferred cocky, arrogant Lara. Keeley Hawes nailed her voice and character. Vulnerable Lara is often a bore. It seemed that she grew more confident at the end of the first game, but some of her line readings in Rise felt like the voice director told her, "Could you try that again, but more vulnerable?" And that was for the artifact voiceovers.

I personally preferred cocky, arrogant Lara. Keeley Hawes nailed her voice and character. Vulnerable Lara is often a bore. It seemed that she grew more confident at the end of the first game, but some of her line readings in Rise felt like the voice director told her, "Could you try that again, but more vulnerable?" And that was for the artifact voiceovers.

I haven't played through Rise yet (in my queue to get to), but I was hoping that Lara would have been a bit more embolden/confident. I loved the reboot and was hoping that Lara would just take the Ripley path and just become more of a bad ass.

Harlequin

So is this based on the reboot? That looks like the plane where Laura cauterizes her wound.

*Lara, not Laura

It's certainly inspired by it (as in gritty origin story probably involving her being shipwrecked on an island) but we know that the story will deviate from the game's story, we just don't know to what extent.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
No matter how much i look at those shots i don't like them, the body of Lara Croft(i'm not talking about tits!) always gave me an idea of strenght, being on the athletic side and tall enough, Alicia looks to me too skinny and maybe even a little short, her face is also really far from ANY version of Lara Croft and a little "anonymous".

Jennipeg

No matter how much i look at those shots i don't like them, the body of Lara Croft(i'm not talking about tits!) always gave me an idea of strenght, being on the athletic side and tall enough, Alicia looks to me too skinny and maybe even a little short, her face is also really far from ANY version of Lara Croft and a little "anonymous".

She can lift her own body weight, she is officially stronger than me. She is very petite though and only 5, 4" although Google says Lara is only 5, 6" so not too far off.

I think they are going for the young innocent look, and Vikander fits that description, she's also a great actress so maybe it will work.

Grewitch

I don't know.

I have no problem with ALicia, she can act, so she's solid.

The director's name is impressive. I mean Roar, you really have to live upto a name like that. But I haven't seen any of his films. The Wave, one of his previous films, rings a bell, but i don't know. Could be good, could be terrible.

The writer has a single credit for a short back in 2010, and a ton of geek credits attached to announced projects. Visionaries? Dungeons and Dragons? Who is she and how has she managed to get so many projects under her belt within such a short period? What happened/ Very intriguing, so again, could go either way.

So given all that, and based on the photos, I'm calling it; the film's going to be a hit. It might not be the Lara we deserve, but she's the one we need right now.

Loved Vikander in Ex Machina and Man from UNCLE but not super hyped about this, her body just seems too small to do Lara Croft justice and the face just doesn't quite match up in those pics.

We'll see, hope the movie is good but sadly I think they will just find all new ways to fail in translating a pretty simple story to the big screen, like the recent Warcraft and Assassin's Creed.

From what I understand this is a reboot of the TR franchise based loosely off the 2013 game reboot, but dunno if they are gonna follow the major story beats of that game or do something different.

Harlequin

great way to ruin a career that was just picking up momentum

Eh, it didn't ruin Angelina Jolie's career.

Is it a new story with new Tombraider from the reboot, or a retelling of the tombraider reboot?

We don't really know yet. We do know that it won't be exactly the same but we aren't sure how much it's going to deviate from the game's story. (I'm hoping they ditch everything but the basic premise and the background mythology.)

LordKasual

Banned
Even if you're not hot on the reboot games' writing, if you prefer the old barbie doll character you're crazy. This is a 1000 times more interesting foundation. Now whether the movie script is good or not is a totally separate question, of course.

I'll take the barbie doll, acrobat flipping, dual pistol wielding, swan diving, actual tomb raiding comic book Lara over the new tattered Uncharted Lara anyday

I didn't have a problem with the reboot, but very little about the Reboot Tomb Raider resembles the original concept. I never would have gotten hooked on the original Tomb Raider if she wasn't such an unapologetic bullshit badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom