• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtrbad

Banned
Everyone I know is like that. Just keys, wallet and phone!
Carrying a backpack around is weirder.
Never see it here. Especially for an adult!

That's crazy talk!! Welp, I imagine we either live in very different areas with different local culture, or we work in widely different industries. Either way, it's interesting how much people's habits can differ from place to place. I'm guessing this machine was made to try and accommodate as many as possible.

Interesting how gaming can shape that culture and habit, too. Ever since Pokemon GO I see more and more people with portable batteries at the ready wherever they are.

JayBabay

I know some are wondering how this will sell to casuals, but a part of that will be the mobile aspect.

Nintendo has Super Mario Run coming. Let's see how they play their cards with their handheld games and how they tie them in to the Switch.

Nintendo App Store? ... this would sway the younger crowd from jumping to iPads.

crushy

Neo Member
I just had an epiphany !

I am so gonna play this in my bathtub... no walls or bad wifi reception can withhold me anymore from playing console games there.

zoukka

I just had an epiphany !

I am so gonna play this in my bathtub... no walls or bad wifi reception can withhold me anymore from playing console games there.

Uhhhh....

I wouldn't recommend using electronics in the bath unless you are planning to leave this existence soon.

mAcOdIn

IDK, I tend not to question Nintendo and RAM, since the N64 it's never been the bottleneck or weak point in any sense. There's something to be said for creating well balanced and optimized hardware rather than slapping OTS parts in your box and calling it a console. iPhones routinely destroy other phones with twice as much or more processing grunt and system RAM. It's all about smart hardware design and really well optimized software, which Nintendo have always done well, and now Nvidia has a part in building their entire hardware and software ecosystem.
I disagree with this 100%

Nintendo gets away with less RAM because they've been behind in graphical output for the last several generations. If this things renders at 720p and just upscales to 1080p no matter what, of course it doesn't need as much ram as a PS4! But I wouldn't spin that as balance, I mean it is because it'd be obscene to throw 8GB of ram into something weaker than a PS4, but it's not really "balance" because in reality it's not that they've found some clever way of doing with 4GB of RAM what their competitors need 8GB to do, they're just not capable of doing what their competitors can do period.

I wanted to object to your iPhone argument regarding how it's different coding in an environment versus the more lower level coding you can do for consoles but I'm not sure that argument's apt anymore. I still think it's a silly argument though, Apple only has to tune their software for a handful of devices, Android runs on everything, so yes, there's some smart engineering and coding going on there, but it's not like Sony and Microsoft have fragmented consoles either, neither would be a good example to relate to Google in that example. Really, all three console makers would be Apple in your scenario.

Regardless, the second it was a hybrid the die was cast, battery life, size and weight all became a clear priority and matching the PS4 and XB1 was pretty much impossible.
Loading assets to internal storage is a way to alleviate slow disc drive speeds isn't it?
Yes and no. Basically, it's whatever they need it to be. If files are compressed then it's a way to put more data on the disc than otherwise would have fit. Without knowing the size of the cart I can't say whether this will be an issue or not. Cost's an important factor with cart storage so we'll see. But a developer can use the disc to uncompress compressed data that otherwise wouldn't have fit, use it to offset loading times or both. There's also nothing stopping someone from filling up a cartridge and uncompressing stuff to local storage on the Switch, aside from the anemic 32GB storage. But it'll all come down to the size of the carts whether that's necessary or even relevant. The one nice thing however is that with a cartridge you don't need to worry about speed unlike a disc drive. So speed isn't an issue, only issue is size for the Switch.

rtrbad

Banned
Fair enough.
When I was in England and used public transport I agree that it was fairly common but that was like 15 years ago.
Guess it doesn't change much :/
I drive in my car now and never have a bag with me.

I'm in Sourthern California, most of us carry backpacks around, especially if we ride to work (Motorcycles are a good commute option year round here). I just happen to need several different devices when I go to work, and also include optional ones and extra cables and anything I might end up needing.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It's certainly normal to carry a backpack or if a laptop bag, but it's not a thing that absolutely everybody does if they're not going to school at that moment. It's not universal and that could hurt this beast.

One of the best aspects of this reveal is that the system looks sleek in it's design. It doesn't look like a toy designed for pre-teens, or even worse, a toy designed for pre-teens trying to look cool enough for adults. It just looks like a sleek and sexy piece of hardware.

I'm aslo really glad that all the leaks from certain individuals panned out as more-or-less true, as they all pretty much lined up with what I wanted from the next Nintendo console since we were speculating about the Wii U up to it's reveal, and certainly after the Wii U was released. Some of those Mock-ups were on point as well.

But I do have 1 question, and maybe it's been answered, but who has time to read every single post in all these Switch threads...

Q: when the detachable controller is in sideways play mode (multi-player), does it have useable shoulder buttons?

It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like there might be one there, but you never explicitly see a good shot on that side of the controller or anyone push a button there.

That's crazy talk!! Welp, I imagine we either live in very different areas with different local culture, or we work in widely different industries. Either way, it's interesting how much people's habits can differ from place to place. I'm guessing this machine was made to try and accommodate as many as possible.

Interesting how gaming can shape that culture and habit, too. Ever since Pokemon GO I see more and more people with portable batteries at the ready wherever they are.

I have lived in Japan for the past 15 years and never see adults with a backpack where I live. Kids sure, but adults.... no way.
Comes across as kinda dirty and unprofessional.
Not sure where you are but I guess living here so long I have just got used to the way things are around me.

I'm in Sourthern California, most of us carry backpacks around, especially if we ride to work (Motorcycles are a good commute option year round here). I just happen to need several different devices when I go to work, and also include optional ones and extra cables and anything I might end up needing.

Bikes are a different matter, I'm talking about everyday folks walking around!

Speely

Banned
Well get a backpack or a shoulder bag or a sporty courier sack or something, and throw a fucking tablet in there with a nice healthy packed lunch, a goddamn good luck charm and a pack of chewing gum. There, you now have a goddamn handheld and some other useful life shit that will be on your person all the fucking time.

I just fixed handhelds. Thank me later, Nintendo. :p

Raysod

Banned
I like the idea and the path Nintendo is going, but I have more questions rather than excitement for the system.

My main question it this.

PS Vita failed because most people did not want to pay the premium prices for software for AAA experiences on the go.

Most casual gamers (the people that make or brake a platform) already have smart phones and tablets, and, here is my concern, they are trained to play games for free, in a free-to-play model with in app purchases or pay something between 1-5 euro for a game.

How on earth Nintendo will charge 50-60-70 euro for its games and expects to get a large install base?

I imagine parents that their children (or them selfs) use iPads to not being able to justify the cost difference in software prices for the Swift.

Plus a yearly fee to access nintendo network like live or psn.

And I have a problem with the size of the controllers, it will be a great problem for adults or people with large hands.

Anyway is too early to make any judgments, I hope that Nintendo succeeds because we really need some fresh ideas in the industry.

P.S. The stock of Nintendo is down almost 7% today so the market is not reacting positively on the Swift and this maybe will make 3rd party software developers more difficult to put support in the system.

https://www.ft.com/content/0773fb16-973a-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582

P.S.2 This is from a very large Greek retailer and states that a system will cost near 400€

propably a placeholder price

http://www.public.gr/product/gaming...ntendo-switch-konsola-nintendo/prod8280069pp/

rtrbad

Banned
I disagree with this 100%

Nintendo gets away with less RAM because they've been behind in graphical output for the last several generations. If this things renders at 720p and just upscales to 1080p no matter what, of course it doesn't need as much ram as a PS4! But I wouldn't spin that as balance, I mean it is because it'd be obscene to throw 8GB of ram into something weaker than a PS4, but it's not really "balance" because in reality it's not that they've found some clever way of doing with 4GB of RAM what their competitors need 8GB to do, they're just not capable of doing what their competitors can do period.

I wanted to object to your iPhone argument regarding how it's different coding in an environment versus the more lower level coding you can do for consoles but I'm not sure that argument's apt anymore. I still think it's a silly argument though, Apple only has to tune their software for a handful of devices, Android runs on everything, so yes, there's some smart engineering and coding going on there, but it's not like Sony and Microsoft have fragmented consoles either, neither would be a good example to relate to Google in that example. Really, all three console makers would be Apple in your scenario.

Regardless, the second it was a hybrid the die was cast, battery life, size and weight all became a clear priority and matching the PS4 and XB1 was pretty much impossible.

Considering that most of the RAM in both of those systems is being used at all times by the OS, I'd say software optimization plays a very key role in how much RAM you need to perform specific tasks, it also depends on how you balance the RAM and additional high speed cache that is used by the frame buffer. It also depends on whether the assets need to be loaded into memory due to compression or whatnot and how that differs between reading from slow bluray or HDDs as compared to stateless flash memory that might or might not need to be compress as much or at all. There are a lot of ways optimization can lower the absolute need for system RAM.

One of the best aspects of this reveal is that the system looks sleek in it's design. It doesn't look like a toy designed for pre-teens, or even worse, a toy designed for pre-teens trying to look cool enough for adults. It just looks like a sleek and sexy piece of hardware.

I'm aslo really glad that all the leaks from certain individuals panned out as more-or-less true, as they all pretty much lined up with what I wanted from the next Nintendo console since we were speculating about the Wii U up to it's reveal, and certainly after the Wii U was released. Some of those Mock-ups were on point as well.

But I do have 1 question, and maybe it's been answered, but who has time to read every single post in all these Switch threads...

Q: when the detachable controller is in sideways play mode (multi-player), does it have useable shoulder buttons?

It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like there might be one there, but you never explicitly see a good shot on that side of the controller or anyone push a button there.
I'm pretty sure there is a scene in the trailer (the van scene?) where someone appears to be pushing a shoulder button on the detached mini controller. But it's very quick.

420bits

Everyone I know carries a backpack around with them to and from work, and has tablets/laptops as well as gym gear and other stuff with them.

I literally don't know anyone who just shows up to work with just their wallet, keys, and phone.

THAT would be fucking weird to me.

OT

I have 2 keys on me, my housekey and a key for the lock on my bike.
A wallet
2 Phones (work + private phone).

The only time I use a backpack is when I go to the store or travel.

For years i didn't even use a wallet, I just had a slimcase with my ID and a creditcard and if i ever had any real cash on me, i just put them in my pocket.

Oh and get this, I haven't had a wristwatch since 1996, nor do I use any type of jewelry, no chains, no rings, no piercings, no armbands or toerings (and it's not due to some allergy or because i'm poor, I just don't use it)

OnT:
With a bit of luck we will see a game + pro + console-bundle for 350.

But as for the console itself, if that thing is 299 or lower at launch, I would be amazed.

DiscoJer

I like the idea and the path Nintendo is going, but I have more questions rather than excitement for the system.

My main question it this.

PS Vita failed because most people did not want to pay the premium prices for software for AAA experiences on the go.

I dunno about that, I personally find the Vita to be such a great disappointment because it didn't have many of those. Sure, you had a handful of games that were little brothers of their console counterparts, but you didn't the exact same games, except in a few cases that were usually months or years later.

Where was GTA Vita? Elder Scrolls Vita? Fallout Vita? Gran Turismo VIta? Battlefront Vita?

Yeah, you eventually had Borderlands 2. You had that Need for Speed game.

There was a Call of Duty vita but it was pretty awful.

Durante

Uhhhh....

I wouldn't recommend using electronics in the bath unless you are planning to leave this existence soon.
A battery-powered tablet? The only reason not to do that is that it's not waterproof.

Personally, I've used a tablet in the bath lots of times. Just be careful not to drop it and be ready for the possibility of having it die.

Aleh

Being portable doesn't just mean taking it with you on trips and whatnot, it means being able to move around your house, playing in bed under the sheets, while you do your business in the bathroom, in your garden on a nice day, being able to change room if someone needs to watch the TV... Now I can see how some people are used to normal Home Consoles but the advantages of a portable aspect aren't as limited as you think that you won't even take it out of the dock once.

Speely

Banned
Being portable doesn't just mean taking it with you on trips and whatnot, it means being able to move around your house, playing in bed under the sheets, while you do your business in the bathroom, in your garden on a nice day, being able to change room if someone needs to watch the TV... Now I can see how some people are used to normal Home Consoles but the advantages of a portable aspect aren't as limited as you think that you won't even take it out of the dock once.

None of these people ever do that stuff. Ever. Nyah!

The Vita had much larger problems than the price of software lmao

How on earth Nintendo will charge 50-60-70 euro for its games and expects to get a large install base?

The same way the Wii U, Xbox One, and PS4 are able to. It's as much a home console as it is a handheld one.

Plus a yearly fee to access nintendo network like live or psn.

This is an assumption that has no basis in fact. Nintendo aren't an online multiplayer focus platform provider in the same way Microsoft and Sony are. I highly doubt we will see a PS+/XBL equivalent on the Switch, especially when half of it's form factor is on the go and can't reliably be connected to the internet.

P.S. The stock of Nintendo is down almost 7% today so the market is not reacting positively on the Swift and this maybe will make 3rd party software developers more difficult to put support in the system.

https://www.ft.com/content/0773fb16-973a-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582

I don't think stock price hours after the launch teaser can be indicative of what third party support is going to be like. There is still a long pre-release cycle and the proper reveal to go. Don't count your chickens or whatever

Dio

Banned
This thing looks like some sort of Kickstarter console, like the Ouya or something, to me. Doesn't look like a Nintendo product or something from one of the big three either.

Yep. This was actually one of my disappointments with the Wii U. Despite off TV play being the systems best feature (which NS basically runs with to the logical extreme), it was too limited. But the power to play easily anywhere in the house is a really big boon guys.

lupinko

I'm just kinda cheesed that no clamshell and no dual screen but I'll manage.

Dual screen was one of the best ideas in gaming when it came to handhelds.

Ammogeddon

It looks good but the portability is only going to be used by me in the house when the wife is watching TV. The only thing that's going to drive me towards getting it is the first party titles and exclusives. I personally wouldn't have it as my main console.

I hear they are empathising that it's a home console first and foremost. This is a good idea in my opinion as I just don't see enough of a demand for this thing on the move. They are never going to convince the public that it's worth taking a Switch around with them when they are already carrying a mobile phone around in their pocket.

A shame that you can not play mario kart at four players locally. But when playing with a friend, I prefer to play with the joy-con R because the left one is hurting my fingers.

Me from the future who has bought this swiitch day one with skyrim and is still waiting for rdr2.

Yep. This was actually one of my disappointments with the Wii U. Despite off TV play being the systems best feature (which NS basically runs with to the logical extreme), it was too limited. But the power to play easily anywhere in the house is a really big boon guys.
Exactly. I love playing on the gamepad around the house, especially the backyard (I'm a smoker), but I often have to move the Wii U console to another room as the signal can cut out in certain places. The Switch solves all that for me completely. I honestly cannot wait.

Raide

The idea is growing on me but if the games are not there, then it gets less and less interesting, especially with Scorpio next year.

Still don't think I will get use to saying "Joy-con" sounds so weird and cheap sounding. Dunno, maybe just me!

seady

Are the Plus and Minus clickable (button) on the joy-con?

Also notice there is no trigger on the controllers anymore.

I wonder if devs will be able to use the touchscreen as a second screen like the Wii U. Would obviously have to be optional features, but those can still be really nice to have.

televator

I saw the thread title yesterday, and it didn't even occur to me that this was actually the NX with an official name like that. lol

I thought "switch? What switch? *moving along*" It just sounds like an incomplete sentence or phrase when being refered to.

Anyway, it looks cool! Conventional controller is the main. Thank fucking beelzebub!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Loading assets to internal storage is a way to alleviate slow disc drive speeds isn't it?

That would not work at all. The system has to be taken on the go and being able to play installed physical games without it physically being in the system (since it would just be in the stand) is an awful idea. People would just share discs.

Game cards were the only thing that made sense. I'm glad they're viable for reasonably large games now.

ksamedi

I wonder if devs will be able to use the touchscreen as a second screen like the Wii U. Would obviously have to be optional features, but those can still be really nice to have.

I remember that one of the rumors was that it had a tv out port on the tablet itself so i think they will support it.

Durante

Honestly, what makes me most happy by far about this is that when it is released we'll finally be at the stage where no games are developed for any hardware platforms anymore that greatly detract from me being able to enjoy them with their technical inadequacy.

psyfi

Banned
Backpacks are way more common in cities with good public transportation. If you live in the burbs or in the country, I wouldn't be surprised that you never see adults use backpacks. No one really needs them if they drive.

AniHawk

What. If the operating system doesn't have all the modern features and online components, it's completely and utterly dead in the water. Nintendo would be mad to make the same mistake third time in a row.

i think people would just want to have video streaming services if anything. and it probably will considering their last two did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom