• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Carson: I Was Stuck Endorsing Trump, But He Promised Me A Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protein

Banned
Trump should also get Kasich, Rubio, and Cruz on his administration too. It will be like a bad Adam Sandler comedy.

Cyrillus

This is right up there with campaigns coordinating with their SuperPACs in that "we all do it but you can't publicly admit it because it's illegal."

It would be amazing if Trump was convicted for this, but sadly I don't see that happening. Also sadly I think this will yet again just energize his base.

fr0st

Banned
Is this guy really a neurosurgeon?

He couldve just said he thinks trump is the best vs clinton and end it there.

massoluk

Banned
Trump can really just deny it. But it would be hilarious to see Carson having temper tantrum over broken promise in his mind.

Syf

Banned
Prior to Carson’s departure from the race, Trump suggested that Carson might be “pathological,” like a “child molester.”

I must have missed that part. And then he endorses Trump, only to admit to a felony in the end. This election cycle man, best entertainment on TV.

Can't listen right now, but does he actually say the words "He promised me a position"?

Paraphrasing:

-He said Trump would surround himself with good people in his administration.

-The show host asked if he (Ben) would be one of them.

-Ben said he would certainly be in an advisory position of some sort and that had discussed that with Trump before the endorsement.

-Then the show host asked if it was a cabinet position.

-Ben hedged and said, he can't really discuss the details now because it's all still very fluid, but he confirmed that they did have discussions.

Best thing is, now that Carson has said this, in the event Trump did win, there's no way he could give him a position now!
Paraphrasing:

-He said Trump would surround himself with good people in his administration.

-The show host asked if he (Ben) would be one of them.

-Ben said he would certainly be in an advisory position of some sort and that had discussed that with Trump before the endorsement.

-Then the show host asked if it was a cabinet position.

-Ben hedged and said, he can't really discuss the details now because it's all still very fluid, but he confirmed that they did have discussions.

Thanks so much for the write up. I'm willing to bet there's enough wiggle room here that this story doesn't go anywhere.

NimbusD

Carson about to sabotage Trump. The GOP may have found their man to stop Trump.

He did it too quickly cuz the guy is in way over his head. He, like many of the other cadidates, doesn't actually know the law, or the government, and refuse to because they hold it in contempt and think they're above it. If he was trying to sabotage trump he's too stupid to do it properly.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I mean yeah, no one is going to go to jail for this, but it's fucking hilarious how dense Carson can be.

NewFresh

Can't listen right now, but does he actually say the words "He promised me a position"?

Carson: ...He will surround himself with very good people

Interviewer: Will one of them be Dr. Ben Carson?

C: I will...uh.. I will be doing things as well

I: In the administration?

C: Uh.. Certainly in an advisory capacity

I: That's been determined? When you sat down with him, that was discussed?

C: Yes

I: And do you want to tell us, would it be advisory toward medicine? Toward education?

C: Well, you know. We haven't hammered out all the details. It's very important that we work together in this country...

I: Is it a cabinet position?

C: Umm.. again, I'm not going to reveal any detail because all of this is still very liquid.

Syriel

Someone tell me how this is not a violation of campaign law?

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is super illegal

Incredible, lol. I wonder if anything will come of it legally.

It really depends on what form said "promise" took. If it was an actual commitment, then there would be a potential violation, but if it was just a campaign line that Carson took to heart, then no.

Otherwise, you'd see Ted Cruz getting brought up on charges for comments like this:

Houston Chronicle said:
"If there isn't a viable path, then it's time for a candidate to move on," Cruz told reporters, "Of course, I could absolutely see a place for Marco Rubio and John Kasich in an administration. They're talented, smart, serious leaders."

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/...z-Rubio-and-Kasich-could-be-in-my-6889180.php

Campaign rhetoric is not legally actionable.

syllogism

The wiggle room is basically that he didn't endorse in exchange for a position in the administration, but had already decided to endorse anyway and just happened to also discuss that topic.

Misha

Banned
Oh my god he's a plant, this is a false flag op to put Trump in jail

So Trump was a Clinton plant meant to cause chaos within the republican party and the republicans entered Carson as a safeguard just in case. Both play the fool for the general public because they're not actually supposed to win but Trump upon realizing he has a chance took the opportunity to secure the other party's nomination for the Clintons and the Republicans countered with their own trump card

Political chess has been taken to the next level

So Trump was a Clinton plant meant to cause chaos within the republican party and the republicans entered Carson as a safeguard just in case. Both play the fool for the general public because they're not actually supposed to win but Trump upon realizing he has a chance took the opportunity to secure the other party's nomination for the Clintons and the Republicans countered with their own trump card

Man, the new season of House of Cards has a lot of chess in it

I'm starting to think brain surgery can't possibly be difficult if this guy could do it.

(maybe someone should check on his former patients...)

r7G2rK8ri4CU3-hRT0TaD7eCflQqhJrJEuKz5mEd8aqGKtHLDhRhYmhty9HA5VDClmA4Btk4WhCCWecQ5WgNxwF_UuXix4dmNsdZYr6DEzreIWqbcA=w479-h268-nc

Stay forever, Mr Carson

Oh my god he's a plant, this is a false flag op to put Trump in jail

HoC-Buckley-4.gif

daveo42

Banned
LOL

Oh Ben. Oh Ben oh Ben oh Ben. Part of me wants me to see Trump win just to see whatever circus come from it. Luckily, that part is tiny and is easily overpowered by the harsh reality of what would actually happen with Trump as President.

Arkeband

Banned
Devil's advocate, wouldn't Trump weasel out of this by there not being any proof besides Carson's statement?

I think the situation has to be "IF you support me, THEN I'll guarantee you a position" - if you can't prove that, it's just "Hey thanks for supporting me, by the way, I want you in my cabinet."

And for it to be (up to) 2 years instead of 1, you just have to prove that they had knowledge that it was illegal, which seems incredibly easy to plead innocence to.

Clever, but Carson announced his candidacy in May, Trump was in June.

Wiz

Let's dispel the notion that Ben Carson doesn't know what he's doing, he knows EXACTLY what he's doing!!

Listening to the early part of that interview is making me wonder if Ben Carson might be a closet self-loathing racist.

Earlier in that interview he said he didn't want to give the Progressives any ammunition against Trump, so he didn't come out and publicly denounce any of the fighting at the rallies, specifically against black protesters getting roughed up.

He started by defending people's 1st amendment rights (aka Trump's right to make his crazy comments at his rallies), but then accused the protesters of trying to obstruct Trump's rights to free speech by protesting at the rallies. Apparently, he thinks protesters are anti-1st amendment, even though the 1st amendment is the whole reason they can protest in the first place.

He has convoluted the facts in such a way that he's defending racism against his own race.

Ben should have played his position better here.

Nothing will come out of him saying this except him losing that new gig.

Hell, seeing Trump being betrayed by the black man probably boosts his popularity with his particular brand of supporters.

I know nothing will come of this...but goddamn if this wouldn't be the best way to end Trump. Carson incoherently mumbling out something incriminating.

that would be an amazing twist. for real.

i love this election season in America, so exciting to an outside observer! i barely read news from my own country because America is so fascinating, heh.

when Hillary is elected shit will get boring again :/ i hope at least she won't be super hawkish and won't drag America to pointless wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom