• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk |OT| The Golden Age

I was close to buying this purely as a fan of berserk but it's priced at £50 and I expect the game to not be that good. Have Nier and persona close enough so will wait on a sale. There's little chance of this selling well enough to get a sequel so even supporting it on launch won't do much.

I'm sure i'll get some enjoyment out of this as i'm a big berserk fan. Think i'll hold off for a bit though as there are so many other games coming out that i'm interested in playing + the first impressions seem a bit mixed.

dinoroar

Banned
Love Berserk. Never once enjoyed a musou game.

urgh. I'm still definitely buying this in the same way I bought that Godzilla PS4 game.

Valonquar

Wanted this game until I watched some playthrough stuff from the JP version. Honestly, money should have been thrown at From Software until enough stuck to make a real Berserk game.

5taquitos

I love Musou and I love Berserk, so this will be a no brainer.

I still believe the series deserves much better video game treatment, though. A musou is about as low-effort as it gets.

Uthred

Wanted this game until I watched some playthrough stuff from the JP version. Honestly, money should have been thrown at From Software until enough stuck to make a real Berserk game.

FROM seem like an odd choice, other than the Pavlovian response people have to suggest them for everything. Other than the Souls aesthetic being "heavily inspired" by Berserk their only notable one vs many outing is Otogi which (while great) isn't noticeably different from a musou game. Dragon's Dogma is probably the closest we've got to Berserk in videogame form, so I think the team behind it would be a better choice.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If it plays like any other Musou, I am not worried. Copy should be here in a few hours.

A good friend of mine who is a gigantic musou fan said this is one of the laziest and shittiest Musou games he's played in years and perhaps one of the worst they've ever made. He hated it and he likes even a lot of lesser Musou games and is also a fairly big Berserk fan.

A good friend of mine who is a gigantic musou fan said this is one of the laziest and shittiest Musou games he's played in years and perhaps one of the worst they've ever made. He hated it and he likes even a lot of lesser Musou games and is also a fairly big Berserk fan.

-_-

welp that is disappointing to hear

derFeef

Oh boy!

mindatlarge

Got this arriving tomorrow. Big fan of Berserk, but I don't have high expectations for the game. Maybe it will surprise me?

I'm not expecting a lot out of this but I already ordered a copy

Will be fun at the very least, plus that endless multi floor Eclipse mode sounds cool

Based on that Jimquisition review it's basically a Golden Age game that they haphazardly included later content for fun, despite not having the resources to present them as well as the Golden Age

Reminds me of some DBZ games on PS2 where the main story stuff would generally be on point but then you'd have extra/side stuff that really didn't make sense and was just thrown in to vaguely represent moments or movies

Kaizer

Banned

Yikes.

Wasn't planning on getting this until it was $20 or less, but still damn that sucks lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Keep hearing this sadly. Big fan of Musou games and was excited for this, but really curious to know details from those that feel similarly. I'll hold off in the meanwhile.

vazel

Banned
I already pre-ordered this game. I loved Hyrule Warriors because of all its fanservice. Hopefully this game is similarly fun for fans.

I already pre-ordered this game. I loved Hyrule Warriors because of all its fanservice. Hopefully this game is similarly fun for fans.

The difference is that Nintendo was involved with that one. This one probably had a much lower budget.

bati

I had no idea what musou is before this game popped on my radar. And now I couldn't dislike the genre more because they wasted Berserk on it. Should've been a souls-like game.

I'm sure there is a thread on the title of the game ...I probably even posted in it ...but that told me all I needed to know about the game. I'll probably pick it up from a key site or Holiday sale next year, whenever it's around $5, and only because I adore Berserk.

IMG_20170221_123654.jpg

No regrats. Will post impressions once we get an OT.

Knew it was alittle too much to expect all the God Hand playable (Atleast Void and Slan) but SK missing is sad.
I remember a brief glimpse of Slan in one of the first trailers so hopefully you can at least fight the God Hand but who knows

Rarius

Oh boy the really don't have any shame do the? Putting THAT on the front cover of the Western Release as well?

The advertising for this game has been disgusting

Just got mine from Amazon. Hyped to play it tonight, as I'm just about caught up on the manga.

I am bummed to find out that it's on PC, when I bought the PS4 version without knowing that fact.

Sykotik

JHnc.png

I'm about to start playing. I'll post back with how it runs.

Edit: Recommends playing game in W7 compatibility mode. lol

Sykotik

is it based of the ps4 version or the ps3 version? full controller support?

I don't know which it's based on as I haven't played them.

It has support for Xinput, but the deadzones on the sticks are way too sensitive, they have to be almost dead center to even stop moving in any direction. I tried both a physical 360 controller and my DS4 (using ds4windows). Also struggling to run in a straight line due to the threshold of left/right vs center on stick.

Doesn't detect DS4 controller via dinput.

Playing on 980ti, 6700k, 1440p/144hz/gsync. Locked to 60fps. Not holding 60 consistently. GPU only at ~40% usage.

Yea, there isn't really any way I'm gonna be able to be objective with my impressions. As a Berserk fan, this is fucking awesome. It's definitely a musou game, but you really do feel like Guts. Having clips from the movie sprinkled throughout is a nice touch so far too.

Isn't the kind of game you can judge by watching, imo. Really fun to play.

Is this any relation to that shitty Dreamcast game?
No, it's a Berserk game by the people who make ______ Warriors games

Has like 2 hours of footage from the recent 3 anime films covering the Golden Age arc, but covers through the Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc. Apparently the stuff after Golden Age is more lacking in presentation, which is disappointing but expected

I find it difficult to believe someone played Bezerk DC at the time it came out and was not incredibly impressed.

Same. It was my introduction to Berserk! It wasn't until years later that I watched the 90s anime then immediately read the manga. It's more of a preference to have a side story game like that for me over a game like this but still, it's kinda cool seeing all of these characters. Shame so few of them are playable. :/

Top Bottom