• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk |OT| The Golden Age

Looks way cooler than it really is. Freaking Mousou. This should have been a traditional ARPG.
It's fine to not want a musou but it's surprising enough that we even got this, expecting a higher budget full fledged RPG or something is never going to happen

Even hugely popular current anime/manga just get 3D fighters for the most part

JCG

I really hate being a berserk fan.

Just going to point out there are Berserk fans who thought the game was alright, for whatever it's worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG5-NTpU7zk

He says it's mostly focused on the golden age arc. That's disappointing.

Predictably, it's because the Golden Age arc has anime movies. The rest of the story simply doesn't (and most folks probably wouldn't like it if they used any footage from the recent 2016 TV series, which has worse 3D models than this game).

Sykotik

Issues with the PC port so far;

Locked to 60fps, inconsistent performance. Dropped to 35fps at one point, not using GPU fully. Edit: Seems Environment Detail may be the contributing factor. Try turning it down if that's your preference.

Xinput is supported, but the analogue sticks are not calibrated correctly and this leads to unacceptable control issues. Edit: It seems to have fixed itself. I don't know how. Other people have had the same issue as well.

360 controller button prompts. No keyboard prompts.

Keyboard controls are not intuitive. WASD controls movement, but doesn't control menus. Keys used for game-play aren't used for menus. This makes using a controller with mapped keys un-intuitive as well.

Jashobeam

getting this to support Berserk and because I like Musou games as well. I heard it only sold like 40k in Japan which is a shame, I hope they break even on it.

Issues with the PC port so far;

Locked to 60fps, inconsistent performance. Dropped to 35fps at one point, not using GPU fully.

Xinput is supported, but the analogue sticks are not calibrated correctly and this leads to unacceptable control issues.

360 controller button prompts. No keyboard prompts.

Keyboard controls are not intuitive. WASD controls movement, but doesn't control menus. Keys used for game-play aren't used for menus. This makes using a controller with mapped keys un-intuitive as well.

:(

One day PC support will catch up... one day. In the meantime, hopefully Steam's customization for controllers will allow users to fix at least the controls.

As I posted in the other thread, Jim Sterling wasn't too impressed with the game.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/berserk-and-the-band-of-the-hawk-review/

I'll post some impressions when it unlocks on Steam/I get home from work.
Yep, this doesn't look too hot.
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk isn’t a bad time, but it’s not quite the Berserk Warriors I was hoping for. The story mode is great fun for a while but soon falls apart, character unlocks are tantalizing until you realize how thin on the ground they are, and generally nothing good the game does comes without at least some minor caveat.

Those desperate for Berserk action or simply in dire need of more hack n’ slash fun will get plenty of raw content out of the package, but that’s all it is – a bucket of plain content. You can take it or leave it, because this is far from an essential release.

JCG

For those who were concerned, it seems there is in fact dismemberment (even of human enemies) whenever the frenzy mode is active. That is, if Gore has been enabled in the Options menu. It's apparently set to off by default.

For those who were concerned, it seems there is in fact dismemberment (even of human enemies) whenever the frenzy mode is active. That is, if Gore has been enabled in the Options menu. It's apparently set to off by default.
Oooh! Thanks, good to know

Really weird that you have to go in options, not even a "gore: on/off" prompt when first launching

Man, that trailer sucks. Everything I've seen from this thing's gameplay just depresses me. Berserk deserves a really great game. This cheap, dynasty warriors trash couldn't appeal to me less.

dan2026

Gore being set to off by default in a Berserk game is super bizarre.

Zafir

At 1440p on max settings I'm also getting inconsistent performance. It's usually hovering around 30-35, with some drops to as low as 15fps kind of randomly.

I know I only have a 970GTX but considering it's not the best looking game, I'd kind of expect better.
Gore being set to off by default in a Berserk game is super bizarre.

On the PC version at least, it asked me when I first launched the game whether I wanted Gore on or off. It certainly didn't default.

JHnc.png

I'm about to start playing. I'll post back with how it runs.

Edit: Recommends playing game in W7 compatibility mode. lol

Hmm, I don't see any resolutions >1080p on system. Tried both a 1440p monitor, and a 4K TV. Can't say I'm surprised, though. I don't think I've ever purchased a Koei Tecmo game on PC that didn't have its share of compatibility issues.

Bebpo

Banned

So US version is uncensored and different than the JP version? I see a steam review mentions decaps and cutting people in half. That was one of the reasons I didn't import the JP version.

Hmm, with the PC version issues I wonder if it's better to pick it up on PS4. PS4 is 30fps though, right? So PC gets 60fps but some controller lag.

JCG

On the PC version at least, it asked me when I first launched the game whether I wanted Gore on or off. It certainly didn't default.

Looking at screenshots, the initial question is Play with Gore OFF? YES/NO.

Quickly saying YES to everything probably confuses some players. So to correct my earlier post, there is a prompt for it.

So US version is uncensored and different than the JP version? I see a steam review mentions decaps and cutting people in half. That was one of the reasons I didn't import the JP version.

Hmm, with the PC version issues I wonder if it's better to pick it up on PS4. PS4 is 30fps though, right? So PC gets 60fps but some controller lag.

Yea, I've been playing since I got home and there is definitely dismemberment. The bodies fade away rather quickly, so it can be be hard to notice if you're not looking for it. Things can get pretty chaotic.

Can't speak for performance on the PC, but I'm playing it on the Pro. Stupidly fast load times.

How are the PC load times on SSD?

Hope it's not a PS3 port like One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 complete with console level load times for no reason (except laziness).

MrBS

He says it's mostly focused on the golden age arc. That's disappointing.
I look forward to the sequels being a three part retelling of the golden age arc again ;)

I should have my copy for PS4 tomorrow, searches on google have come up dry on whether this supports cross save with vita or not.

There is truly only one reason why I keep playing this game and thats to wreck shit in
the berserker armor that you can unlock to play nonstop

SScorpio

They hyped this game up way too early. At this point the hype is gone and most people have forgotten about it.

Maybe we'll have to rekindle the flame of Casca's "problematic" costume to cause a Barbara Streisand effect and get more people to check this game out.

Man this game seems expensive on steam for what it is.

I don't know what that means but I loled.

What does this even mean? PC is currently the cheapest price unless you're in some country that steam has terrible pricing.

Also MVP goes to best buy for being incapable of providing release date delivery like promised.

After playing the tutorial level and a few preceding ones, I dunno, it's better than what I hoped for, but I didn't have high expectations in the first place.

So, every musou game has a gimmick or draw. Sometimes a few, depending on the game. For example, in Hyrule Warriors, you can use subweapons to extend your combos and do crazy things. It's super fun, and you can do it quite often in that game.

In Berserk, you kinda have that. So there's a super mode called Frenzy that makes you stronger, faster, all that jazz. That's the fun part. Getting there is a little more painful than it needs to be, because it's obvious you should be in that mode more often than not. What also sucks is that your super/musou is tied to this mode. If you aren't in it, you can't access it. On the plus side, you can usually get off two or three in this mode.

The issue is accessing that mode. There aren't frequent item drops like DW8 so you can't build meter off of that, and it's not like SW where hyper attacks helped build meter quickly. You can dash cancel, and without doing so you probably won't get enough out of this game in the first place, but it feels like the canceling needs to be faster.

It has some neat ideas, like hitting flames and spreading them, and destructible items add to the visuals, but it feels half baked in the first few levels I've played. It's probably worth it at 40 bucks, not 50, but despite my bellyaching I'm still having a moderate amount of fun. It's better than FotNS2, but it's no SW4.

Reule

It was what I expected so far. Just killing dudes en masse. Hasn't been exciting but hasn't really soured me. Looking forward to using other characters.

Didn't see an OT but can anyone sync trophies for the NA version?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If I loved First of the North Star, but disliked most other Warrior games, will I like this.

I liked how Linear FOTNS was.

I loved the first Fist Of The North Star game (and I also enjoy musou in general), but I wouldn't get this unless you're a huge Berserk fan...and even then I'd wait for it to go on sale. It's bottom of the barrel musou. Not as bad as Arslan was, IMO, but close.

JayEH

Some weird ass prompts when you load up the game. Why is it asking if I want to start in easy? Do they think that little of berserk fans lol

What does this even mean? PC is currently the cheapest price unless you're in some country that steam has terrible pricing.

Also MVP goes to best buy for being incapable of providing release date delivery like promised.
I ordered my copy from BB on the 12th, didn't actually ship until yesterday (with overnight FedEx). Received today though. Haven't played yet

JayEH

It was what I expected so far. Just killing dudes en masse. Hasn't been exciting but hasn't really soured me. Looking forward to using other characters.

Didn't see an OT but can anyone sync trophies for the NA version?

Can't sync them. Looks like others are having this problem too.

Goldboy

Can't believe I was so excited for this game when it was announced. Might still pick it up if I see it cheap down the road, but it doesn't look very good.

Can't believe I was so excited for this game when it was announced. Might still pick it up if I see it cheap down the road, but it doesn't look very good.

Honestly I'm a bit confused at the reception it's getting. As a Berserk fan, I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far. I really feel like I'm playing through the battles in the manga and the musou structure seems to work well with it.

Zafir

Some weird ass prompts when you load up the game. Why is it asking if I want to start in easy? Do they think that little of berserk fans lol

Yeah, I was utterly confused by that pop up.

Do they think people are playing it just for the story.....? It makes no sense though considering you'd probably have to know the Berserk story in the first place to be interested in this!

Goldboy

Honestly I'm a bit confused at the reception it's getting. As a Berserk fan, I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far. I really feel like I'm playing through the battles in the manga and the musou structure seems to work well with it.

That's reassuring, my fingers are crossed that I'll feel the same way about it when I eventually pick it up. Really want a half-decent Berserk game to play to make the endless wait for chapters a bit easier, lol.

Top Bottom