• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 1st Person Shooter of the Generation?

Whats the best 1st Person Shooter of the Generation?

• Destiny

• Destiny 2

• Doom

• Doom Eternal

• Wolfenstein

• Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

• TitanFall

• TitanFall 2

• Borderlands 3

• OverWatch

• Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

• Call of Duty: World War 2

• Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 or 4

• Far Cry 5

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remake

• Rage 2

• Battlefield 1

• Battlefield V

• Metro Exodus

• Epex Legends

• Far Cry 4

• Halo 5

• Rainbow Six: Siege

• Ion Fury

• Dusk

Results are only viewable after voting.
of the Gen its easily Doom Eternal.

I hate the fucking Marauders as much as anyone else but the rest of the game is a masterpiece in gameplay, balance, performance, and graphics.

Hated those bastards too but once you get the technique down they ain't so bad. Close range, but not melee range, double barrel shotgun, blast at green eyes... also might not think it but it helps a lot to get in a confined space with them.

The Taken King era of Destiny was incredible. My favorite competitive FPS was definitely Overwatch.

Strictly single player it’s between Prey, Alyx, BONEWORKS, Black Mesa and Ion Fury.

ULTRAKILL is a really great early access FPS.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

The one and only...

7NMmgo3.jpg

MrFunSocks

Banned
Titanfall and Halo 5, which is missing from the list.

Yuck at those that voted Titanfall 2 over the original. Guess that's SinglePlayerGAF for you.

Also 45% of the votes gone to DOOM games, which will now be Xbox exclusive. That's gotta hurt a lot of people in here haha.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm just here to rip on Titanfall 2's campaign. Nothing to get excited about. Doesn't compare at all to a Half-Life or a Halo and was praised for surprisingly being 10% better than a CoD campaign. The warping element was a one level gimmick that wasn't nearly used to it's potential and they could have done more with the mech fights and level design.

Multiplayer was great.

PUBG :messenger_heart:

edit: no other shooter beats the feeling when you finally get that chicken dinner and every journey towards the chicken are so different. You can play 100s of rounds and still feel like you played your first game. No other shooter compares.

Last edited:
Definitely Doom or Doom Eternal for me. Not sure which I prefer as they both offer a very similar but also very different experience.

Unless you factor in MP in which case...I dunno. I think Overwatch was the only mp FPS I played longterm this gen.

YuLY

The fact that Doom (2016) is leading makes me love this forum even more. I never understood how some saw Eternal better than 2016 one. That one is like Dark Souls FPS, is it kinda unique because of that? sure, but didnt really feel like a Doom game, and this is coming from somewhat who was ok with it and finished it.

But the 2016 was perfection to what Doom should be, from the minimalist but interesting story, to the relaxing yet visceral gameplay . Eternal went too much into space fantasy stuff with the story for my tastes and the combat was stressful, oh and fuck some of those platforming iron bars grabbing sections.

I also voted for Wolfie reboot, one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Went for Titanfall 2 and Apex for gunplay alone.

Overwatch is an unbalanced mess.

Shame MCC isn’t in the list.

Last edited:

crozier

I haven’t played many FPS this generation, but from what I have played Doom (2016) is my favorite. I like the flow of combat, the emphasis on melee strikes, the maps, the music...pretty much everything but the MP, which is sadly dead. I also prefer the controls in Doom Eternal. They’re floaty in Doom (2016) and tighter in Doom Eternal.

Playing on PS4.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Happy to see Doom and Doom Eternal (my pick) leading the pack.

Need to play more than 5 minutes of TitanFall 2 but there was something about it that lost the novelty of the first one to me.

Arkam

Single Player: Doom 2016 - the perfect pairing of fresh and nostalgia. Loved it minus the boss fights. They were to scripted which felt jarring considering the free flowing “kinetic” combat of the game.
Multiplayer: SQUAD - massive scale matches with real (enough) combat to make crawling down a ditch on your stomach an entertaining experience of survival.

HF2014

I think i need one day to try the single player of Titanfall 2, seeing here how its popular and all i ready about it, i think i need to give it a chance. Cause beside Doom 2016 and Titanfall 1 which i vote for the multiplayer, nothing catch my interest in FPS games

Rubik8

I voted for Titanfall 2 based on the obscene number of hours I put into the multiplayer. And I must be one of the weirdos that liked Doom Eternal more than Doom 2016.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Doom 2016.
Imo eternal is too crazy.
Titanfall 2 is overrated. It's a good game but forgettable to me. It would be below singularity last gen. Maybe I need to replay it ..

This gen I also liked metro exodus, prey, kill zone a bit and cod infinite was fun.

Is rage 2 fun? I loved the first one but I hate far cry games and it seems like far cry

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
You are missing Escape from Tarkov. Also, regardless of how you feel about the game, the shooting mechanics and damage model of PUBG is 2nd to none. It has FPP servers as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Overwatch by a country mile. It was so innovative and different than everything else, plus they continued adding new maps, costumes, characters, and events to play throughout the entire generation. I've put in over 100 hours and would recommend it to anyone.

Bragr

Banned
Doom 2016 has aged well, it feels so slick and polished and without the ammo resources from Eternal, you have enough ammo to use all your guns, and it doesn't hold you down as long in the encounters. The style of the levels, especially early on in the industrial setting, makes it feel like classic Doom too, and not the open wackiness from Doom Eternal.

Top Bottom