• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you still play Call of Duty?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't meant as a troll or anything of the sort, it's a legitimate question I've wondered recently.

A little backstory, I am was a massive CoD fan, putting in 500+ hours into each title, buying every new game on day one and loving every minute of it but this changed around Ghosts, only getting worse with Advanced Warfare which I disliked from the start, there was no honeymoon period with this title, it was without a doubt my least favourite in the series and after two failures back to back I was almost done but it was Treyarch's turn next and in general I prefer their work, mostly due to how much effort they put into the PC version and I actually enjoyed Black Ops 3 but that was the last CoD I bought, skipping Infinite Warfare as it looked like Advanced Warfare and after trying it recently I was right to skip it, it was just so bleh. Plus as a non Treyarch PC port it had countless platform specific issues. For so long I've wanted the developers to give me a boots on ground CoD game and that's finally happening with WW2 but I'm not hyped for it like I would have been 3 years ago, and obviously they had to shoehorn in more microtransactions, including that gross system which lets you watch others open loot boxes in the hopes it'll make you buy more boxes.

What prompted me to make this thread is the fact I've been playing Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 lately and they're both so superior in look, sound and feel. I tried IW and TF2 back to back and IW had stuttering, 92fps cap, P2P servers and a movement system that felt sellotaped on. TF2 was as smooth as butter, running at 144fps while looking better than IW, it was using dedicated servers, the movement system felt expertly crafted instead of tacked on and the community wasn't split with map packs, instead they only sell cosmetics (and you can just buy what you want, no gambling like CoD). BF1 is the most recent shooter I've tried thanks to Origin Access and the gunplay feels great, the visuals and audio are just on another level all while running better than IW. And it genuinely makes me wonder why people haven't switched.

TLDR: There are many shooters on the market that look, feel, sound and run better than CoD yet people still put down £40 every year for them and I'm wondering why? I used to be a massive fan myself but the series has been on a steep decline for years now and it's really starting to feel outclassed by titles like Overwatch, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2.

PS: If you miss the CoD 4 era, Battalion 1944 is a Kickstarter title with great potential, it has already met its goal so it's going to get made, the devs post updates all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwT7DJLHAKQ

Daffy Duck

I've only played BF1, which I really enjoy but getting into a match takes AGES on consoles, like 5 minutes.

CoD I just load up, choose a mode and bang I'm in a match.

It's fast paced and is for the most part fun. I enjoy the feel of the matches, the perks and the weapons, it's just enjoyable.

I hated Infinite Warfare though, games was garbage and a poor mans BO3, which I'm prestige master in, IW I didn't manage 10 hours, I knew from the beta it was garbage.

Vinc

Fantastic gameplay loop. I basically just treat them like I would sports titles at this point though. I only buy one every once in a while, when it looks particularly interesting and is well received. This year's game looks pretty good.

Bread

Banned
Thanks for the recommendation on Battalion, this looks like my kind of game. Looks more like a CoD2 arena shooter than the kill streak, weapon unlocking BS you get with the new CoDs.

Nicolada

I've never played a CoD game before, but now that I've been diving more into shooters I kinda wanna try one just to see what all the fuss is about. I just don't know which to play.

Im just a fiend tryin to get that old feeling i had from when i first played CoD back. That feeling never comes back though, its never the same.

jdmonmou

I mostly still play them for the single player campaigns. The Infinite Warfare campaign was really good. I think it'd be good if they started including Mass Effect style player choices in the campaign where your decisions carry over to next year's game. That would justify the annual release cycle to me.

COD is an arcade shooter series and appeals to a different crowd than Battlefield (less so TF2). Time between engagements is measured in seconds, not minutes, TTK is very low, and the game does a very good job of rewarding kills, hitting that pleasure center of the brain. The game rewards kills with great audio/visual feedback in their hitmarkers, and streaks get you scorestreaks which feels awesome.

COD has mastered the art of giving the player pleasure when getting kills unlike almost any other game, IMO.

Edit: forgot to mention the progression system is very satisfying, and working towards Dark Matter/Black Sky forces the player to master all of the guns, promoting variety.

I agree, COD is just done for me as a franchise unless they totally reinvent the thing which i really doubt.

Titanfall 2 and Battlefield are so much superior.

I can't answer you why people haven't switched, i guess people are uninformed and go with what they know ? I'm not touching the new COD boots on ground this year for sure, just looks like more of the same to me.

Same old multiplayer feel, zombies and they try to make it as if it was something new, "Omg wait for the new trailer this year's COD Zombies..." and it always looks like the same shit.

I primarily play shooters for their campaigns. And when CoD is on point, there's nothing quite like its gameplay loop when it comes to FPS. The spectacle is like nothing else. This was really shown off well in Infinite Warfare. It got a lot of shit for its futuristic setting, but the campaign is among the best in the franchise. A huge step up from Black Ops 3, which seemed more designed around trying to please those that aren't fans of the rollercoaster nature of the campaigns.

The mainline Battlefield series has tried to emulate what CoD does, but they do it really poorly. It's a real shame as I love the Bad Company games and Hardline was also solid. I really don't get what happened to DICE and campaigns after BC2. They went downhill realy quick.

Titanfall is really the closest to what CoD does, which makes sense given that its filled with many of IW's original crew. TF2's campaign was fantastic. And I love DOOM and Wolfenstein as well, but they obviously both have a very different vibe compared to CoD.

I am only talking about the campaigns, as I never logged any hours into the zombies or the multiplayer modes.

Honestly, I appreciate how much they put into their campaigns.

Despite all the hate, it is actually impressive, to me at least, that they can put out a pretty decent campaign each year that has a narrative structure and a competent story that, in some cases, can be really great. The production value and the voice acting also is good most of the time.

Another thing I loved about their campaigns is the AI. when playing on the highest difficulty, it can be challenging, as the enemies are not stupid, and give you a run for your money.

It has pretty much become a tradition for me each year to check up the new CoD campaign.

So far, Black Ops and Black Ops II are my favorites.

MrS

Banned
Titanfall 2 and Battlefield are so much superior.
With regards to PVP I agree, but the Infinite Warfare campaign was more enjoyable to me than the campaigns of Titanfall 2 and BF1. CoD still has a lot to offer and it can still surprise me so, to answer OP's question, that's why I still buy it.

The Infinite Warfare campaign is underrated. It looks beautiful and it was a total joy to play. Destiny could learn a lot from how good the planets and skyboxes look in IW. I loved the dogfights too.

xRaizen

Because I still find it fun

Also the campaigns are usually good. And zombies. It's like 3 games in one lately with how much content is just on disc (Campaign, MP, Zombies).

Djostikk

I skipped last year entirely, but curious to see how WWII makes his way. Campaign and Zombies mostly, MP is getting old IMO.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I thought I was done after the first patches of Black Ops III. I dropped the game like a hot potato. Didn't care to even try Infinite Warfare or the Modern Warfare remaster. With WW2, they are getting me on some Call of Duty 2 nostalgia trip. Hoping for the best.

I went CoD 2 > Modern Warfare 2 > Black Ops 3. I dont suffer from CoD fatigue yet. Really excited for the CoD WW2 bèta to start.

Multiplayer in CoD feels really comfortable to me. I know what to expect and I know I like it. I enjoy trying out all the weapons and learning the maps.

Enjoy the single player too most of the time (Blops 3 was pretty bad). Hope CoD WWII gives me Band of Brothers vibes.

Toa TAK

Banned
Campaign and zombies.

Multiplayer is fun, but I haven't been so hot in it ever since AW. Hopefully WWII can bring me back to that front.

campaign is still fun for me, and although I find the muliplayer just ok, it's an annual social event at this point, I have friends that buy 2-3 games a year and this is one they always get

Treyarch is one of the companies still pushing local offline co-op. They have an insane amount of content and the games are generally decent to great.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I view Battlefield and CoD as two sides of the same coin. I've nothing against them, but they're not game's I'm willing to drop $30-$60 on, nor do I wind up devoting the time to them. Those days are over.

I'm happy playing PUBG at the moment, and I also have Splatoon 2, and Rainbow Six Siege to cover my multiplayer needs. If I splurge on another big AAA multiplayer FPS, it's going to be something special like Star Wars.

alexbull_uk

It has, by far, the best 'feel' of any FPS game on console right now. Even with the likes of BF moving to 60fps on console, I genuinely don't believe any other console game matches how responsive and tight it feels.

If there's one thing CoD has done right consistently for the past decade, it's their concentration on keeping input-lag low (iirc it's the lowest/most responsive of all the major console shooters), and framerate high.

With regards to PVP I agree, but the Infinite Warfare campaign was more enjoyable to me than the campaigns of Titanfall 2 and BF1. CoD still has a lot to offer.

Campaign wise i agree, even though Titanfall 2 campaign is really good. I was talking multiplayer which is the main attraction of COD.

I agree COD still has a lot to offer and it's still a good game but for me, as someone with limited gaming time, i need maybe one or two multiplayer shooters to play and Titanfall 2 replaced COD for me because it plays so much better and is crafted perfectly imo. It's the creators of COD after all that made Titanfall so there's that.

renzolama

Up until this year, I always played the campaigns because they were engaging and consistently adding new movement/gameplay mechanics that I found interesting and enjoyable. This is the first year I probably won't buy CoD at launch because I have absolutely zero excitement for a standard run/duck/shoot FPS gameplay loop in 2017.

Duxxy3

Campaigns are fun (except BO3, that was awful). I played a fair amount of multiplayer when boots were still on the ground. I hate the extra movement in multiplayer.

Because I like the fast-paced action and shooting people in multiplayer. It feels good. Simple as that.

I have never liked the way the Battlefield series plays. I really enjoyed Titanfall and Titanfall 2, but as the player base wanes I’m ready to move on to the next big thing.

Fury451

Banned
The stories/campaigns can be a lot of fun and well constructed when all points are firing well.

The multiplayer is usually accessible and addicting. Have to say, that I haven't had peak fun with the series since Black Ops 2, so I'm really anticipating WW2.

It's funny how we sort of expect 'quality' to go hand in hand with popularity/sales. But my perspective on that has totally shifted to how I view music/film etc where the most popular stuff is almost never the best stuff (and the best stuff is almost never the most popular).

Advanced Warfare was actually the most innovative the series got since MW2, and gets hated on because it's too different ironically enough. I keep playing since that game is great and Black Ops 3 is better. IW kinda... is okay, MWR is good of course and the older games too. Still really like the series in general anyway.

Ghosts is absolute shit.

geordiemp

BO3 multiplayer loop is good, feels good, 60 FPS on console.

Also its a type of shooter you can just drop on for 10 minutes solo and have a blast, no special teams or tactics for TDM needed.

You can run around solo and enjoy a fast paced shooter fix

Found it at last!!!

Call of Duty Black Ops II had a very underrated narrative design that I rarely saw in any video game that features a fairly linear story experience. The game basically have you do a mission, and if you fail, you don't repeat it but it will branch out the story to one of four endings, as I recall, which was really surprising to me when I played it.

Kotaku put up an article about that.

Okay, it is not like ground-breaking, but the idea that a game's ending will change based on your actions and without notifying you was actually an interesting thing to experience.

Jigolo

Fun, quick paced, short matches. But mostly cause a big group of my pals buy it and we play. Also not sucking at the game brings me back too. That being said I haven't played Blops 3 in months and it's the last game I've purchased. I'm actually thinking about selling it as I have other games to play at the moment. I plan on getting MW:R on sale digitally whenever it's around $25. Not really interested in WW2 right now.

Khrno

I didn't like Modern Warfare multiplayer, so I stopped playing multiplayer after CoD3.

I did play the single player campaigns of all games on the PS3 due to work, but that was it.

I moved onto Battlefield since Bad Company 2.

Gaenor

Banned
I only like the Black Ops series, so I still play Black Ops 3 regularly. I only play Search and Destroy games though, as it's the only mode I truly enjoy. It's a nice change of pace from Battlefield's Conquest.

I'll buy WWII with the hope that it'll be good for SnD.

For me it was the social gathering spot for friends and family of mine. Last time around really messed that up though. Some people played IW, some only played MWR while others stuck with Black Ops III. I was excited to hear it was WWII again but after the footage seeing instant deaths over and over again along with it being Sledgehammer I'm just not encouraged to buy it unless everyone rejoins again. The positive on the series though is there's a level of satisfaction with the control/movement and every now and then becoming a one man wrecking crew and blowing up a match that just doesn't happen as much in other games.

Maps are too big in battlefield and titanfall. I love close quarters action so cod is still the best shooter for me. Cod also has a wider variety of modes, guns, skins, etc., and it's much easier to pick up and play.

I just got CoD4 remastered because other console shooters aren't anywhere near as good. I don't like that gigantic map, spawn and run for an hour only to get sniped by some little bitch laying prone in grass. Then respawn and run for an hour only to be killed by a helicopter I couldn't do anything about. Fuck Battlefield. Also fuck jetpacks and wallrunning. Also fuck "ults" or supers or hadoukens. I just wanna shoot people with a gun.

Also 2160c/60fps helps. CoD is extremely well made.

MrS

Banned
Maps are too big in battlefield and titanfall. I love close quarters action so cod is still the best shooter for me. Cod also has a wider variety of modes, guns, skins, etc., and it's much easier to pick up and play.
Titanfall 2 would benefit from a pilot-only pure TDM 10 minute game mode. I'd be addicted to the game if it had this because the shooting feels so good that I don't want to be in a Titan.

Hip Hop

There is no substitute for classic Deathmatch Free For All that Call of Duty does.

Nothing can or has come close still after many iterations.

In fact, seems like Free For All isn't a game mode in many shooters anymore, its all team based.

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't know, I'm still hoping to recapture that feeling of having a great match, landing on top of the leaderboard and unlocking that next awesome piece of equipment.

The series sucks. The current generation games each have their bright spots but are overall disappointments. The responsiveness and fairness of online play seems worse compared to last generation and I've noticed this since Ghosts, despite it having allegedly the best netcode. The campaigns get worse every year. The customization and progression isn't interesting. The map design is bland, way too slavishly devoted to small-medium 3 lane maps.

Someone really needs to call them out on the fact that the games are shipping with fewer maps and weapons than than they were last generation. They couldn't even get the content in a remaster out in time.

I cringe to think about that Infinity Ward video last year about how much they love and honor the series because it just isnt reflected in the final product and it hasnt been since this generation began.

Titanfall sure

Battlefield 1? Heck no. I'd much rather play the modern offerings of Call of Duty over anything Battlefield has to offer. Those games just feel like style over gameplay at this point. I was completely on board with Battlefield with Bad Company 2, but the series after that could not even come close to that game.

Miggytronz

I still time to time jump in on BF and COD but here recently I discovered the fun of the f2p America’s Army on PS4. I’m hooked. Love the bare bones simplistic play style of the game.

Top Bottom