• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you still play Call of Duty?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
I agree with the OP, both Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 were far superior to anything the Call Of Duty series as of late.

I am hoping Call Of Duty: World War II takes the series back to the look and feel of World At War (my fav of the series) Its enough to get me atleast excited about its release which hasn't happened in a long time.

The sound, the maps and all the action of Battlefield 1 will be tough to beat. The pure fun of Titanfall 2 and how balanced everything feels, how smooth it all plays will also be tough to beat.

COD is an arcade shooter series and appeals to a different crowd than Battlefield (less so TF2). Time between engagements is measured in seconds, not minutes, TTK is very low, and the game does a very good job of rewarding kills, hitting that pleasure center of the brain. The game rewards kills with great audio/visual feedback in their hitmarkers, and streaks get you scorestreaks which feels awesome.

COD has mastered the art of giving the player pleasure when getting kills unlike almost any other game, IMO.

Edit: forgot to mention the progression system is very satisfying, and working towards Dark Matter/Black Sky forces the player to master all of the guns, promoting variety.

This is a good synopsis.

It's the only FPS series on steam that has fast paced gameplay with a servicable playerbase.

Even if all ports past Black Ops 2 have ranged from passable to awful

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I moved onto R6 because there's more to offer there in terms of variety and strategy.

I've wanted to try this forever, it was F2P for a weekend but I missed it like a fool.

Almost exclusively for survival modes and zombies, though I haven't kept up in a few years. Thinking of picking up Advanced Warfare for the exo survival when it's ultra cheap.

aravuus

I don't, but that's just because of the futuristic stuff, particularly all the wallrunning and jetpacking and exosuiting and double-jumping.

As soon as they go back to something slightly more grounded like Black Ops 1 and 2 I'll be back, because fuck those games were fun timewasters. If they never go back, well, I guess I'll never go back.

HiiiLife

It was probably the first game i ever played that I could call the gameplay "smooth" thanks to 60 fps. The gameplay is simple. Casual friendly and accessible. Fun kill streaks. Easy to find matches and matches don't last nearly as long as fucking battlefield. Fuck that.

We typically like tdm as well. I've tried tdm in bf and it's just not the same. Objective modes is where that game shines.

jacobs34

I play a decent amount of shooters: TF2, OW, BF1 and MWR. Lately I've been playing MWR the most and I've kind of been asking the same question as the OP.

Of all the console shooters I tend to the find the moment-to-moment gameplay most satisfying in COD. I think the guns, at least in MWR, are all fun to play around with and the maps have a good flow.

When I sit down to play MWR, I know I'm going to enjoy the main aspects of gameplay. The games do not last too long, and one player can have a really positive impact on a objective based game mode, which means I don't have to pull a squad together to have a chance at winning a game of Dom or SND.

I adore Titanfall 2, and I really prefer it to the jetpack CODs, but for some reason when I just want to sit down and play a shooter for 20 minutes it's always COD that I return to. I've liked what I've seen from WW2 and this is probably the most excited I've been to try a new COD in the last five years.

That said, there's a huge amount of burnout that I'm getting due to the nature of supply drops and DLC weapons. I think there are better ways to support a game post-launch, and I worry that the constant grind to unlock new weapons is going to keep me from playing the game in a year or two.

HiiiLife

Gameplay loop and tight responsive controls have always been attractive to me, but the formula has died off horrendously. COD hasn't been good since BLACK OPS IMO.

Don't sleep on WWII though. I got hands on at E3, and it's very very good. I played a TDM match on an asymmetrical circular map. Great controls, no bullshit, boots on the ground, and feelings nice.

Also played a match of War and OH MY GOD. It's as if Call of Duty finally got Battlefield's Rush mode. It's excellent. And Sledgehammer did a great job with Advanced Warfare at least for he Single player, and AW Zombies was WORLDS better than BO3

I tried playing MWR recently and felt so out of touch. Either the gameplay was different from the 07 version or I just can't hang anymore. If WW2 feels anything like MWR, just based during the 40s, I guess I'm done with the franchise for good. Lots of good memories though.

And frustrating ones lol.

I still find them to be pretty fun games for the most part. Ghosts and Advanced Warfare both were terrible in my opinion, and I have yet to really play Infinite as I still play MW:R constantly. Speaking of MW:R, yes they fucked it up by adding some additional guns to the loot boxes, and that one sniper rifle is op as shit, but honestly it hasn't changed the gameplay to me, I still do as well as i did before they were around. Anyway. excited for WWI.

Jerm411

I still enjoy it and I have a regular group of friends I play CoD and other games with so it's become kind of a tradition...the commardarie and memories are worth it to me.

the_big_country

Neo Member
I tried playing MWR recently and felt so out of touch. Either the gameplay was different from the 07 version or I just can't hang anymore. If WW2 feels anything like MWR, just based during the 40s, I guess I'm done with the franchise for good. Lots of good memories though.

And frustrating ones lol.

The player base of MWR is probably more dedicated since you had to buy MWR as part of a deluxe edition until very recently, and MWR caters to CoD fans that feel left behind by the jetpack games. Plus the player base has evolved and improved. You don't see Martyrdom and Last Stand much in MWR compared to CoD4, but there's way more Juggernaut and MWR is infested with snipers. There's also some things that Raven never matched that always made MWR feel off to me because MWR is a remake on the AW engine (footsteps, spawns.)

Usually here on GAF, I tend to notice many threads either praising or hating on Japanese developed games, several which are niche-ish titles alongside more mainstream stuff like Nintendo games. So I find it refreshing sometimes to see threads like this, about COD, a Western-developed franchise haha!

On-topic: I don't buy recent COD titles, in general I don't think I was ever really that much into COD. My friend gave me a copy of COD Black Ops II Wii U, and three-ish weeks ago I played it's online multiplayer...it was bittersweet I feel. Fun when I'm doing good, not fun when I sucked. Maybe in the future, I'll bust it out again to play more online multiplayer...but yea, I think that's my only COD game in possession RN haha, and I don't really see myself getting/supporting future titles of this franchise

I have fun with them, and the MP is perfect to play in short bursts. Didn't buy the last one tho, tried de beta and didn't liked it. First COD i skipped since COD 4.

I've played them all but the last one I put any real time into was MW3. I was just burnt out after that. I still buy them yearly when they get discounted but I barely play them.

If MW2 or BO1 ever get a re release I'll be all over those. I put over 30 days playtime into each during their respective release years.

Top Bottom