• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you still play Call of Duty?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
Cuz it's fun... *shrug*

Don't give a crap about the politics regarding MP, zombies, loot boxes and shit. At the end of the day it's still fun shooting shit with COD's arcade-ish mechanics.

brawly

Friends. They're really into it.

That said I won't play trash just because of that (like Infinite Warfare), but Black Ops 3 was pretty great to play with friends.

legacyzero

Banned
Gameplay loop and tight responsive controls have always been attractive to me, but the formula has died off horrendously. COD hasn't been good since BLACK OPS IMO.

Don't sleep on WWII though. I got hands on at E3, and it's very very good. I played a TDM match on an asymmetrical circular map. Great controls, no bullshit, boots on the ground, and feelings nice.

Also played a match of War and OH MY GOD. It's as if Call of Duty finally got Battlefield's Rush mode. It's excellent. And Sledgehammer did a great job with Advanced Warfare at least for he Single player, and AW Zombies was WORLDS better than BO3

Wedzi

Banned
Gameplay loop as stated already but honestly split screen is a big factor for me. It's easy to play a few rounds with a buddy on a couch which is fantastic and hard to find these days.

I mainly play it for the single player campaigns at this point. I was heavy into the multiplayer aspect as well back in the days (before I had kids), especially with Call of Duty 2, 3, and 4. After those games, I never really leveled up past 30. I became a single player gamer, as I have limited time to play games, and I really want to play through stories rather than spend countless hours in multiplayer.

When Black Ops III released, I did get back into multiplayer because my sister in law and I enjoyed playing split screen online multiplayer (when the game wasn't lagging terribly). If it wasn't for couch co-op, I probably wouldn't have jumped into it again, but her and I were gaming a lot when she lived with us.

Kalentan

Still play it often.

The series is still fun and outside some weak campaigns (Ghost, BO3), the series is still very enjoyable.

I have Titanfall 2 and BF1 but while BF1 is fun and so is Titanfall 2, I just have no real feel to go back and play them often like I do with CoD. Titanfall 2's gunplay is honestly worse than CoD despite smoother movement. Something about it just never feels right.

I also like the fact that it's 3 developers now.

Playing IW, BO3, and AW one after the other makes me realize that while they all feel distinctively like CoD, they all feel unique to one another. Not talking purely movement changes but even the gunplay feels just different enough in each game to give each one a new feeling.

Snoopycat

Banned
I bought every COD on release up to Black Ops 2, did the whole midnight launch thing and that was a lot of fun; but after MW3 things really went downhill. It's actually kind of shocking how bad COD became. The decline in the quality of the maps, the never ending perks, the whizzing around half assed jetpack nonsense, and of course the bloody microtransactions.

Every year the hype machine starts with the promise that the next COD won't be as God awful as the last one and it always turns out to be nonsense. I guess there'd be some validity to the claim that Infinite Warfare was better than Ghosts, but at this point the bar is so low it's like claiming licking pee is better than drinking it.

This year the hype is all about COD going back to WW2. For old timers like myself that's pretty exciting, but this isn't old COD, this is new COD. A COD which will be filled with microtransactions and other obnoxious nonsense. No doubt it will be designed to irritate and annoy the hell out of old people like myself, who remember the days when games came with all their content and didn't demand your wallet the moment they loaded up.

I'm hoping that they'll open the beta to the public so that I can get a look at it. If not, I'll wait and see what the reaction is and how long the honeymoon period lasts. I would love it if they managed to make a good COD game again. I've wanted another WAW for years. Hopefully this will be on that level.

I usually get a game's worth out of a yearly COD purchase. Probably with the exception of Infinite Warfare. Though once I get a 4k monitor I'll probably take the campaign for a proper spin and get *something* out of it.

For WW2 I expect to get the Xbox version, it'll be timed perfectly with the Xbox One X, so it should look and run great. And I'll play it with Xbox friends who generally are a little more into COD than I am these days. We'll probably go hard on S&D for like a month. Maybe longer if it's really good. Maybe less if it's really bad.

It's not going to replace R6 Siege for me (XBX patch plz.. plz... plz... wtf ubi plz. announce already. plz). And I expect it to fall behind in the pecking order to Titanfall 2 and Battlefield in short time.

That said, I don't think I understand why anyone would purchase a COD game on PC these days.

I played every CoD after CoD 4 except for last year's CoD with MWR. I did not want to support that business practice and the game looked boring.

CoD 4 was my first FPS and I find it fun so I'll probably pick up this year's version. I never prestige. I think that is a waste of time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
They're still fun to me. But I traditionally only play them for a while before I retire and wait for the next one; November-December is prime CoD season for me. If I'm not playing the game daily my skills deteriorate fast (and I'm not that good to begin with), so when I go back to the game after a couple of months and I'm the worst player on the team, and the only one that hasn't prestiged multiple times, I just feel self-conscious and shitty.

I think I'll probably get the new one but I'm not really thrilled with the WW2 setting; I'd rather a more modern era. I guess we got that with MWR but they really fucked that up. I was much more a fan of MW2's maps, weapons, etc. anyway.

How many 60 fps shooters have even remotely similar gameplay in a well fleshed out package? Personally I don't play COD but the only other shooter kinda like it is Titanfall. Everyone else is doing something very different. BF1 doesn't play or feel anything like COD. Same for games like OW or Destiny.

Paasei

CoD2 and CoD4 Promod, are the only CoD games that were ever worth playing (on PC).

Still play the latter quite often and then "competiting" in some of the remaining online communities.

Fun game to blast a few matches out for half an hour or so. Also I sometimes use it to wind down after my online Poker sessions. Otherwise I go to bed and cant sleep because all I see is Poker hands on a permanent loop.

Black Ops 3 is my newest game though, but definitely getting the new one.

Waaghals

I have said this before, but IW had an amazing campaign.

I generally only play the cods for the SP, and the quality is very variable.
IW is the best since MW2.

DarkOneX

I've just always loved them I dunno. They are quick and easy to fire up and go for a few rounds for some mindless shooting fun. To be honest I really didn't get into the multiplayer though until Modern Warfare 2, before that I just played the SP campaigns then traded the games in. But ever since then I've been hooked and always preorder the deluxe edition as soon as it's up, although I haven't preordered WW2 yet cause I dunno if I want it for PS4 or if it will have improvements for the XB1X if so I'll get it there.

Bumhead

Banned
Because they are, in the main, generally incredibly well made and fun games to play. How many times do COD games release to a load of negative press about poor performance of whatever? Never?

Even with a "bad" COD I feel like you're still getting a certain standard and at least something to enjoy. I played the much maligned Infinite Warfare a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed the campaign.

Yeah the IW campaign was absolutely top notch, it felt like a prequel to Mass Effect in a lot of ways.

I still play 3-4 games of multiplayer IW a week. I dunno, its just kinda mindless, I play when I watch a TV show that I don't really pay much attention too, like a podcast kind of thing. Similar with Uncharted 4 MP. I get a few thousand XP, eventually I might hit a prestige level, and occasionally I get shiny loot for really not doing a whole lot.

I still play a single game of Titanfall 2 every day (gotta collect those happy hour bonuses!) and I can't do that in that game, I have to pay full attention and listen to sound and it demands everything. Same with PUBG. But with infinite warfare... I spawn, I maybe kill a guy or two, someone shoots me in the back, I respawn. The maps are all small corridors and its not that complicated. Brain off gaming at its finest, I feel.

Whats funny is I don't play the modern warfare remastered at ALL, for some reason it just doesn't click with me and I've tried a lot. Even though all the jet jumping and crazy gun camos are stupid as hell in IW, I still prefer that gamestyle for brainless 30 mins over modern warfare. It also helps the player base for IW seems bigger (but not as big as PUBG), so I don't always get matched against people who can kick my ass with their eyes closed.

I've never played a CoD game before, but now that I've been diving more into shooters I kinda wanna try one just to see what all the fuss is about. I just don't know which to play.
IW campaign is pretty good to be honest :) strongest campaign since MW1 and black ops 1 I felt

shanafan

Depends on who you ask. I think IW is one of their best MP shooters in the series. Oh well, but I find it insanely fun.

AudioEppa

eSports.

I fell in love with the competitive side of COD around late 2013.

And ever since then it's been my passion for playing the game, that's what puts it above the rest. Other games just wanna be casual fun, nothing wrong with that. But I need more. When it comes to online, this is where gameplay matters to me. And call of duty's gameplay has overall felt best when I'm controlling it.

killatopak

I don't. I don't think I've played any COD game. The closest I got to playing it was black ops 2 I think which I immediately stopped playing at a friend's house.

Got a few friends who are so into COD and I don't know the reason why. I just assume it's the MP since the campaign bored me.

Because it is an easy, mindless shooter that doesn't take much thought to play, plus they do a fine (arguably the best) job at the "carrot on a stick" with their leveling/prestige system.

I've slowly been backing out of the franchise. Ghosts wasn't too impressive but was countered by Extinction being so great (never got into Zombies mode), AW I played for about a month then left once the meta became having good RNG with the variants, BO3 was great and I stuck with it for most of the year, IW I bought on a sale and was done within a week, Titanfall 2 just ate this game's lunch and then some. I am curious about WWII but will wait to play the beta before making any decisions.

Swiggins

I was a yearly CoD buyer for YEARS.

From 2007 (CoD4) to 2015 (BO3) I bought every single mainline Call of Duty title that came out. I loved the series, some of my fondest gaming moments ever occurred late night playing CoD with my friends in High School and College. I still put MW2 in my top 5 games of all time.

Infinite Warfare was the first CoD in years I didn't buy at launch. It wasn't that the gameplay was bad, I liked what I played of the beta...but I just can't play shooters like I used to. I'd still put myself in the above average category, but my reflexes aren't what they used to be in my teens and I don't have the endless free time to "git gud" anymore.

On top of that, I as well as most of my friends have moved onto different shooters. Overwatch and Rainbow Six are really all I need as far as multiplayer games go. Even though CoD:WW2 looks pretty good, I'll probably skip it as well because I don't feel like I'll stick with it long enough to make my purchase worth it...I know I'll be right back to Overwatch and R6 eventually.

Now...if they remaster MW2, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Until then though, I'll put my CoD days behind me.

Kalentan

I feel like this thread should have been called: "Why do you not play CoD" cause I feel like most of the posts in this thread are not about why they still do but why they do not.

Or at the very least half and half.

Luschient

I usually buy COD every year, didn't care much for IW's multiplayer so I quit playing it much sooner than I typically take a pause from COD each year (usually late summer).

Safeguard MP on BLOPS3 is some of the most fun I've had playing any game online. Really hope that bring that mode back for ww2.

Black Ops 3 is the most fun I've had with an online shooter this gen. Then they ruined it with loot boxes.

I was dumb and bought IW Legacy for Modern Warfare Remastered, never thought they could ruin a goddamn remaster with loot boxes. But then they did. At least I got the game from a PSN sale... but it was still 54 dollars.

No more COD for me ever again. Those coming back for boots on the ground are going to have a rude awakening when the guns start dropping from loot boxes instead of level progression.

There's an appeal to the predictable nature of their design and mechanics. They are easy to jump back into after a long hiatus.

I've played pretty much every other COD for a while now. It's... reliable, I guess. A known quantity. Quick bursts of mindless multiplayer action at a relatively consistent level of quality. Movement/gunplay feels pretty great. Tons of active players for at least a while (console, at least). Low stress compared to more Serious stuff like Overwatch.

selo

I left cod behind after blops. The last game I really liked was mw2. Blops was just awful for me, and I've never looked back. Some people like paying for the same thing year after year I suppose (like most sports games as well)

I like them becuase they tend to have fun, relatively quick campaigns, with a lot of trophies. Plus I have happy memories from playing CoD 1, 2 and 4 way back in the day, so I can't help but feel a little bit of that nostalgia when I play the newer entries.

I also, like others, appreciate that the campaigns wind up being pretty good, pretty regularly, even though the games are yearly. So far about the only ones I blatantly haven't liked are Black Ops 2 and Ghosts, and (by mainline release order) I've played all of them up till (inclusive) Advanced Warfare, except 3,. The stories wind up being pretty decent, and really, they are fun.

This is all SP-based and focused though: I don't play the MP portions at all.

Because I enjoy them a lot, I play through the single player before hopping into the multiplayer and I have to say the only one i haven't enjoyed since MW is Black Ops 3.

I also very much enjoy the multiplayer, but for me it is an afterthought, SP is priority. Multiplayer wise, Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare are the only multi i haven't liked.

13ruce

Banned
I quit after BO3 i might buy WW2 since the zombie mode looks promising and i miss the true Nazi Zombies like World at War and Black Ops 1.

And this time around it will have horror elements too.

After modern warfare i bought em for Zombies only.

Velikost

It's fun. None of the other shooters have the CoD feel, and outside of Ghosts and BLOPS3, I've enjoyed the MP in all of them.

The latest is an even bigger deal because of the return to WW2, something I've been wanting for ages. Can't wait for the beta.

Edit: Just read through the OP more; Battlefield and Titanfall 2 are nothing like CoD, outside of Pilots only in TF2 I guess? I also would never try to play CoD on PC these days, it's a console shooter now breh

MTC100

Banned
I'm too old for this stuff. Not because I think it's childish or something, just because I can't keep up anymore.

Smokey

There is no substitute for classic Deathmatch Free For All that Call of Duty does.

Nothing can or has come close still after many iterations.

In fact, seems like Free For All isn't a game mode in many shooters anymore, its all team based.

This.

I was heavy into CoD pre Infinite Warfare. The MP didn't do it for me. I find CoD WW2 to be unappealing to me. Something seems off in the MP. Lots of stuff going on, but the maps seem to constrained and boxed in for what they are going for imo.

PhatStarr

They're still fun to me. Advanced Warfare was my favorite, but I'm pretty disappointed they're going back to World War 2.

jem0208

I agree, COD is just done for me as a franchise unless they totally reinvent the thing which i really doubt.

Titanfall 2 and Battlefield are so much superior.

I can't answer you why people haven't switched, i guess people are uninformed and go with what they know ? I'm not touching the new COD boots on ground this year for sure, just looks like more of the same to me.

Same old multiplayer feel, zombies and they try to make it as if it was something new, "Omg wait for the new trailer this year's COD Zombies..." and it always looks like the same shit.

Or people might actually enjoy them.

BF1 and Titanfall are fairly different shooters.

illamap

I enjoy all the Cods, though i must admit having used to the advanced movement, i am not too thrilled on WWII, but i will get it and most likely enjoy on it's own right. TF2:s movement isn't since all that game changing as in IW since enemies can be almost everywhere, and making an anticipated jump on unsuspecting enemies behind doorway barely never happens whereas in IW it happens often. BF1 is just slow-paced annoying pixel hunting on consoles with variable framerate.

Top Bottom