• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 6 button gamepad on the market?

MRORANGE

I know the NEO GEO PS3 gamepad gets a lot of praise but I can't fine one new, what other good front facing 6 button gamepads are good to use?

MRORANGE

Bump:

Anyone tried these? I'm getting mixed reviews about them:

41X%2Bo5mAy0L.jpg

for what console? or just in general?

Sega Saturn pad is amazing and also has a playstation version, probably PS2 but you can use it with an adapter too on the ps3.

1772732-segasat.jpg

Nubytech Streetfighter pads were ok too,
1086344.jpg

MRORANGE

Sorry, should have mentioned it was RetroARCH but most of these pads should work for it, the HORI Fighting Commander 4 looks interesting at the moment, so I'll try and look out for that.

Anywhere that sells Saturn Pads for new?

mugenmidget

Neo Member
If there's a "good" Saturn USB pad available anywhere I'd love to hear about it, knock off or not. The best ones I've tried (possibly official or close to it anyways, with the SEGA logo and SLS sticker on the back) look like they've dried up, and when they do show up they fetch ridiculous prices. Might just make more sense to buy Saturn > PC adapters at this point.

I'm actually quite disappointed that there aren't more good quality 6 button controllers on the market for PC. The ones out there are either really cheaply made or are overpriced and hard to find.

Rotating D-pad makes me nervous. I'm tempted to pick up one of these for a player 2 option/fallback.

Anyone have negative experiences with these?

Yea, that made me nervous as well. FWIW it does feel much better than the Fighting Commander 3 that I used. That had issues w/ the dpad that this one may have solved.

WolvenOne

I've had reasonably good luck with the 6 button Street Fighter controllers from Mad Catz, buuuuut, the 360 version has spotty support on Steam for some reason.

Granted, moot point, since it sounds like you want it for other platforms.

Mesoian

Rotating D-pad makes me nervous. I'm tempted to pick up one of these for a player 2 option/fallback.

Anyone have negative experiences with these?

I've had people tell me that the one problem with that thing is that the clip that holds the Dpad in place can break, but it's been perfect with mine, so...::Shrugs::

And I'm the person who went through 14 swivel d-pad xbox pads playing marvel, and now i'm playing skullgirls and guilty gear so...I think it'll be alright.

I've had reasonably good luck with the 6 button Street Fighter controllers from Mad Catz, buuuuut, the 360 version has spotty support on Steam for some reason.

Granted, moot point, since it sounds like you want it for other platforms.

Yeah that's true. Before I bought the Hori pad, I was using an old SF4 pad, and after a fresh install of windows, it wouldn't work properly anymore.

Orayn

Has anyone tried the MK X fight pad? I want to get but I am skeptical.

IIRC the consensus seems to be that it's decently designed, good d-pad, but the buttons are a little hard to press. Since it's PDP and they've had issues with build quality in the past, I'd be cautious and wait to see if there are reports of them breaking.

Has anyone tried the MK X fight pad? I want to get but I am skeptical.

I've had one since mk release and it's pretty good. I'm worried with how durable it will be based on it feeling rather light and small. I love it though and would recommend it if you're a fight pad user. I am able to pull off juggle combos significantly better than i can with the ps4 pad. I know people swear by the ds4 but I've always been a fightpad user.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I really want a MadCatz street fighter pad for PS4. Those were really good and I can never get used to sticks.

I loved using them for 2D downloadable games too.

I've got one of those Ascii PS2 controllers from a billion years ago. I hardly used it, never thought about getting a PlayStation2 to USB adapter for my computer. Might have to dig it out.

I really want a MadCatz street fighter pad for PS4. Those were really good and I can never get used to sticks.

I loved using them for 2D downloadable games too.

That's what I used last gen and i enjoy the PDP mk pad on PS4. Madcatz announced they are making SFV fightpads but those probably will not release until 2016 with the game.

ChanMan

So I see the durability seems like a concern, I would only be using on MK X and maybe Guilty Gear. So its not like it will be my go to controller, so its either get this or wait for the Hori Commander 4 to come out in NA. Thanks for your input guys.

So I see the durability seems like a concern, I would only be using on MK X and maybe Guilty Gear. So its not like it will be my go to controller, so its either get this or wait for the Hori Commander 4 to come out in NA. Thanks for your input guys.

The hori pad already has confirmed durability issues with the dpad being rotatable. It's a good pad though from what I've read from people that have imported it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm already having button issues with the MKX pad and the d-pad isn't that great. Get the Hori.

cireza

Up.

Just in case some people can be interested, I have been using the Fighting Commander 4 on PS4 for quite some time and it is a great controller.

It is that controller:

I have a been a Sega Saturn USB controller addict for many years, and never was able to change to something else. However this pad is no longer compatible with the PS4.

Decided to give this one a try, but was not too sure honestly. After playing SFV beta and a lot of DoA, I can tell that the feeling is very close to the Saturn controller.

Even if the D-Pad does not have the same shape, you can set it more or less tolerant for diagonals. By setting it the most tolerant possible, you get a very close feel to the Saturn controller.

Face buttons do the job, they might be a little big, but it is not a problem at all.

orborborb

http://segaretro.org/Control_Pad_(Saturn)

The MK-80116 is the safest model number to buy, many of the japanese ones are either early models before they fixed design flaws or later models after they lowered their quality standards. Lots of fakes of the japanese ones as well. You will need the previously mentioned saturn -> usb adapter.

What I did was to buy a broken but genuine Saturn pad (internals damaged, yet physically fine) and a generic USB Saturn pad. I took out the USB internals and stuffed it into the broken, genuine Saturn pad. So now I have a USB Saturn pad that has the build quality of original Sega hardware.

Works great.

The new Hori Fighting Commander gamepad (PS4/PS3) that comes out next month looks really great. No more rotating d-pad, and a different shape:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GAME-0015498&page=top

tG0HHqM.jpg

I just hope the buttons don't have a tendency to stick like my FC3 Pro.

Funny, that looks like the same mold from the old (non-Pro) Fighting Commander 3

4494405645_90e1187639.jpg

Another option would be the Exar Neo Geo Pad USB with that cool microswitched directional stick.

ASh6G2Fl.jpg

Arttemis

I wish 6 buttons would make a big return. Having 6 face buttons, start/select, and 4 shoulder buttons as standard would be awesome.

Dambrosi

Banned
Funny, that looks like the same mold from the old (non-Pro) Fighting Commander 3

4494405645_90e1187639.jpg
Yeah, it's not a FC Pro, just a normal FC.
Another option would be the Exar Neo Geo Pad USB with that cool microswitched directional stick.

ASh6G2Fl.jpg
Oh wow, there's a PS3 version? I used to own the PS2 version of this, y'know, the one that came with the special edition of the KOF'94 Remake for PS2? I don't have it anymore, dunno what happened to it.

Top Bottom