• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and/or most visually impressive boss fights in a 2D game

ScOULaris

I've been on a big 2D action/platformer kick lately, and I got to thinking about some of the more clever or visually impressive boss battles to grace 2D games over the years. I think 2D boss fights have a charm distinct from their 3D brethren because they often have to make use of clever sprite manipulation techniques resulting in big, beautiful 2D enemies filling the screen. Honestly, there are so many standouts that come to mind that I have a hard time choosing what to focus on for the OP. I'll just get us started with a few quick examples, and then I'll let all of you take the reins and fill this thread with glorious images and recollections of your favorite 2D boss battles.

Here are a few that immediately jump to mind for me:

Gunstar Heroes - Seven Force
jpg-1383153525.jpg

Gunstar Heroes was a game chalk-full of memorable, visually impressive boss fights. Its use of huge segmented sprites with all sorts of state-of-the-art 16-bit graphical wizardry resulted in boss battles that looked consistently striking at a smooth framerate on the Genesis. If I had to pick the standout, however, it'd be Seven Force. There was such a perfect pace to that fight, and you really felt like you were fighting an extremely aggressive and murderous mech.

Yoshi's Island - Raphael

Yoshi's Island was another all-time 2D classic that had its fair share of memorable boss fights. Much like Gunstar Heroes did on the Genesis, Yoshi's Island made use of the Super-FX2 chip to power advanced sprite transformation techniques like scaling and rotation to enhance the visual spectacle of its bosses. The fight that always struck me as exceedingly clever for its time was the fight with Raphael on the tiny moon. In essence, this fight foreshadowed the planetoid mechanics of the Galaxy games, only in 2D.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Ippondatara

Granted, the actual design of this fight and the way it plays out is pretty traditional, but I'm putting it up here for its sheer 2D visual spectacle alone. Vanillaware bosses are almost uniformly gorgeous and impressive, so I probably could've randomly selected any of them from Muramasa and felt content with my choice. I'm going with Ippondatara because conveying a sense of fighting a colossal creature that towers above the clouds in 2D is not an easy task, and I think Vanillaware did an excellent job at it.

Rayman Legends - Mechanical Dragon

I'm including this one as a good example of how to implement polygonal bosses into a purely 2D game. Everyone should know by now how drop-dead gorgeous Rayman Legends' 2D artwork is, but they might not be aware of the fact that all of the bosses are fully rendered 3D models. They just happen to be perfectly integrated into the look of the 2D art most of the time, resulting in some really dynamic and visually impressive battles. This one is my favorite in the game because I love how you end up activating it with the press of a button and then see all of the lights flicker on before the dragon takes flight and goes after you.

BiggNife

First boss of Metal Slug 3.

Axj1OST.gif

The attention to detail on this sprite is insane. I can't imagine how much work went into animating it. The way the sand shifts as he moves, the gun tower constantly shaking off balance - it's nuts.

Krejlooc

Banned
In a just world, this thread would be nothing but alien soldier posts.

This isnt a just world, nobody knows what alien soldier is.

Trying to stick to non SNK / Neogeo games:

Axelay (Snes)
Axelay_s005.jpg

The first boss from Wild Guns is also awesome, even if it is not that well animated:
220px-Wildguns4.png

jett

D-Member
452302-contra_iii___the_alien_wars041.png

This thing from Contra III was fairly cool for its time. I think it uses multiple sprites and a background layer Mode 7'nd.

This guy was neat too.

tumblr_nh9lllMxtJ1rvenmoo3_400.gif

Krejlooc

Banned
In a just world you'd post some pics for those who don't know what it is. ;)

ss_334d1dfc233641588be7424749c98b4bd6095887.jpg

Link to the Steam version

Im on my phone, which isnt playing nice with imgur, but luckily you took notice of my cue and did the lord's work for me :p

If you dont mind, post a picture of the horse boss from the game, which is a follow up of sorts to the sevenforce boss from gunstar heroes (but way more impressive).

ScOULaris

Im on my phone, which isnt playing nice with imgur, but luckily you took notice of my cue and did the lord's work for me :p

If you dont mind, post a picture of the horse boss from the game, which is a follow up of sorts to the sevenforce boss from gunstar heroes (but way more impressive).

Biggest ones I could find in halfway decent quality:

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
First boss of Metal Slug 3.

Axj1OST.gif

The attention to detail on this sprite is insane. I can't imagine how much work went into animating it. The way the sand shifts as he moves, the gun tower constantly shaking off balance - it's nuts.

I expect to see a lot of Metal Slug 3 bosses in this thread. All of them were the pinnacle of pixel-art animation.

tumblr_mzohgldHFH1s9677oo1_r1_500.gif

Frames don't seem to be redrawn each time though, in fact they are all about rotations and translations with very few changing elements, sort of like flash animations but with totally different results.

ScOULaris

Gonna show some love to the Red Dragon fight from Dragon's Crown:

There wasn't much to it gameplay-wise; just mash on him and avoid attacks until he dies (unless you run away and have him kill himself), but I think it deserves mention in here for its aesthetics alone.

Krejlooc

Banned
Frames don't seem to be redrawn each time though, in fact they are all about rotations and translations with very few changing elements, sort of like flash animations but with totally different results.

Neogeo cannot rotate individual sprites. The "rotation" you are seeing are individial frames of animation.

BiggNife

I didn't know that at all, and the fact that the rotations and translations look seamless enough to look like it's frame-by-frame is honestly impressive in itself.

e: or not

Nere

latest

This enormous boss from Castlevania Order of Eclessia. Its probably the bigger sprite I have seen in a castlevania game, to kill him you have to climb on his back and attack his head. Really impressive boss.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Neogeo cannot rotate individual sprites. The "rotation" you are seeing are individial frames of animation.

I didn't know that at all, and the fact that the rotations and translations look seamless enough to look like it's frame-by-frame is honestly impressive in itself.

e: or not

In fact i said "sort" of like flash animation, they are probably individual frames but that doesn't mean that they were redrawn each time, imo they made the various parts in high resolution, composed a frame, then resized and cleaned(or something like that), that would also explain why they looks so clean(rotated sprites look bad), if you look at those gifs closely you can see most of the parts rotating without changing at all, if they were redrawn each time you would have seen differences.

PooBone

Metal Slug games people have mentioned look awesome. My favorite 2d bosses come from Super C on the snes. Taking up te whole screen and at tes even surrounding the player for extended periods.

Hugstable

Banned
Astro Boy Omega Factor. Will edit amazing pics in like 10 mins when I Get home, but damn those bosses were sooooo gooooood

Treasure's best game ever. Seriously, as someone who owns their entire catalog, nothing comes close to Alien Soldier. The greatest 2D action game ever made.

To be fair, this thread is provably going to be Treasure: The Thread

Pejo

Many bosses from Vanillaware games and Symphony of the Night could fit into this category for me. Let's say the Chimera from Dragon's Crown for my specific example though. I love how the three heads have distinct attacks and killing them knocks out a certain list of moves, plus dropping through the floor as it gets too damaged. Awesome boss.

ScOULaris

Many bosses from Vanillaware games and Symphony of the Night could fit into this category for me. Let's say the Chimera from Dragon's Crown for my specific example though. I love how the three heads have distinct attacks and killing them knocks out a certain list of moves, plus dropping through the floor as it gets too damaged. Awesome boss.

I like how it bursts onto the scene too:

dragonscrown10.gif

JackelZXA

Mega Man X4 had some pretty gigantic and well drawn boss sprites in it. Several bosses are bigger than the screen and still animate.

HGH

Banned
Man, this probably pales in comparison to most examples here but:
I rather liked the ancient dragon in Freedom Planet, purely because it's fought entirely in the background. The fact that it never transitions into the same plane as you helps with the sense of scale, as well as its giant body waving up and down like a serpent. Sadly I don't have gifs or better pictures.

From the same game, there are two fights that seriously bring back memories of Seven Force(and probably honest homages to it). Honestly, I think having a boss fight while running makes for some really cool settings.

petran79

Banned
Metamorphic Force had some amazing bosses as well in the arcades

Very good gfx, design and animation overall.

metamorphicforce_bossdeath.jpg

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Great thread! Nostalgia overload.
Blade Master

Some glorious pixel art.

1GTX17t.jpg

R-Type II

A series known for insane boss fights. It was hard to choose just one image.

omiIEvx.jpg

Dungeons and Dragons - Shadow of Mystara

Even though you only fight his head and claws. This guy deserves an honorable mention based off his pixel art alone. Easily one of the best looking dragons in a game.

zZkQbas.png

Trust me...it did, the PCE can toss around huge sprites pretty easily it seems...

For sure. That was an interesting time, when it was just Sega and Hudson vying for the 16-bit lead (yeah yeah PCE 8 bit). Ultimately though, the Mega Drive won out because it produced more faithful arcade ports. Also a 1989 release, Ghouls n' Ghosts featured an even bigger final boss that took up the entire screen.

hqdefault.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
For sure. That was an interesting time, when it was just Sega and Hudson vying for the 16-bit lead (yeah yeah PCE 8 bit). Ultimately though, the Mega Drive won out because it produced more faithful arcade ports. Also a 1989 release, Ghouls n' Ghosts featured an even bigger final boss that took up the entire screen.

hqdefault.jpg

Funnily enough, the Super Grafx port of Daimakaimura destroys the Genesis port.

Pinky

Banned
Not gonna post screens, but the 8-bit Mega Man games had impressive bosses inside the fortresses/Wily castles. Giant robot baddies that took up a large portion of the screen. For 8-bit, it was pretty damn cool.

Also, Totally Rad had some cool bosses as well.

TRboss.png

Top Bottom