• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best approaches for combat in future Batman games

I remember playing the in-store demo for Arkham Asylum and being wowed by how cool and fun the combat felt then. It was partly because it was a non-shitty 3D Batman experience that seemed as good as a Batman game's combat should. The animations looked fantastic, and though it was basic, having a focus on crowd control kept it engaging. It was a system that stayed true to the source material in more ways than one.

Even though this combat was improved upon in various ways from Asylum onward, the approach to hand-to-hand in the Arkham games has been taken about as far as it could be. The combat had its strengths, but also weaknesses that are inherent to its design.

It's fundamentally easy. I list this as a strength because it shows an understanding of the power fantasy of playing as Batman: beating a small handful of mooks should not be difficult. Or, at the very least, there should be a quick and easy way to knock them out. In almost every iteration of Batman, he's peak-level martial artist who effortlessly takes out low-level criminals. It scales decently well to high numbers of enemies, and challenge comes from managing many enemies, and many different types at once.

It looks good, which is self-explanatory. I prefer combat where there's something close to 1:1 ratio between my inputs and what the character is doing, but "guiding," Batman and friends around can be fine (e.g. when other elements are layered on top of it). So with that in mind, seeing the animations of these characters who are defined by their fighting styles adds to the spectacle of gameplay. It's fun to see all these moves and in certain contexts, it's okay for the player to be wowed by something not directly under their control. It does leave something to be desired after a while though.

It can be mixed with other types of gameplay. This is pretty much unfeasible in Asylum, but in City on, you can use the bat claw and smoke bombs to disorient armed enemies, dive into a group of them and just beat the shit out of a few of them before retreating. The games never quite encourage situations like this, but the potential for really kinetic, aggressive stealth mixed with fighting is there.

You can knock enemies down in one hit. There's never any normal enemy that feels like they're taking way too many hits to do some damage to. Compared to action games with good combat that have some really durable enemies, Batman just knocks enemies on their asses as he should. It changes the focus of combat, and sometimes the games capitalize on that.

The negatives overlap with some of the positives though. The combat being fundamentally easy means any fight that doesn't mix things up won't feel engaging. The animations and feel of the the hits may be great, but just pushing in a direction and hitting a button can get old when fights don't demand you do anything more.

Having the system built on keeping a combo going is my biggest gripe at this point. Asylum was extremely basic in regard to combat, so having something else to shoot for beyond merely surviving a fight made sense. It's a neat little metagame, but it clashes with player agency when certain moves are locked behind the combo meter. It also then forces enemies to behave in ways that doesn't necessarily make sense — you'll never get an enemy who'll try to run away at the end because that would break a combo.

Combat doesn't translate to boss fights well either. You either have to have a bunch of mooks around to keep up a combo (which actually does fit with some Batman villains), or you change up the core gameplay to make it flashy and cinematic. Since the combat relies on fighting many different types of enemies, fighting one means you're left with just a single strike button. The one truly great boss battle in the series was fought in a predator segment, which is telling.

And of course, I'd rather attacks be more of a 1:1 ratio deal where specific inputs perform specific attacks, and right when you press/click them. I appreciate the flashy moves and how Batman (or whoever the player is playing as) never seems unskilled or lessened by less than stellar play. Even still, combat that gives the player as much agency as possible is ideal, though doing so with 3D, hand-to-hand, 1-vs.-many type fights might not be that simple. There's not much else out there quite like Batman that does what the ARkham series did, but better. All the copycats still fall into the same pitfalls of canned animations, magnetising to enemies, etc.

The different enemy types are only occasionally explored fully though, and rarely does the environment design have any real impact on the fight, whereas level design plays more into the predator segments. There are times where it feels restrictive having to deal with specific types of enemies that have to be countered with a certain ability. There are almost always at least a couple different ways to do so, but compared to predator gameplay (where the player can retreat whenever and not, say, lose a combo because of it), it can feel limiting in ways that feel arbitrary (e.g. can't use a certain move without a combat).

The predator gameplay seems to have scaled better with more additions, and allows for more player agency — there's still plenty of automation and streamlining (the inverted takedown isn't some complex maneuver, you just hit a button), but there's a higher degree of control over what you do and where you go compared to combat, which locks you into counter animations and is reliant on keeping a combo going.

In short, this is a type of gameplay that seems as if it's run its course, but I'm not sure what could follow it up while achieving the positives it managed and avoiding the negatives.

EDIT: posted this before I was done, whoops

Platy

Combat is good ... Detective mode that needs work.

The World's Greatest Detective cannot "activate" detective mode ... the dude IS detective mode.

Make it in a way that it is on all the time without fucking up the colors but has a "focus" button that turns it off if needed.

It is basicaly how everyone played the fucking game already =P

They need to find a way to change the areas on where you're fighting.

It sounds bad on paper but having fights in tight hallways and corners and dealing with foes on different vertical planes can definitely help shake up the fighting. As of now there's little environmental consideration when dealing with enemies.

They should just kill the hand-to-hand stuff altogether and just make cool predator arenas that are very challenging. When I was platinuming Arkham City I came across this video and it wowed me at the skill ceiling since it's almost impossible to do what he's doing and get all of the challenges.

They need to find a way to change the areas on where you're fighting.

It sounds bad on paper but having fights in tight hallways and corners and dealing with foes on different vertical planes can definitely help shake up the fighting. As of now there's little environmental consideration when dealing with enemies.

I thought about that too, since realizing the big fights in every game took place in a flat and open area. While I can't think of gameplay specifics, having to run up/down stairs during a fight, or have fights move from one location to another with those environments having an effect on the flow of combat (and not just through canned, contextual takedowns with power boxes/lights/etc.) would go a long way in making it feel substantial. The predator challenge maps are fundamentally different based on their locations, whereas the combat challenge locations are just different backdrops essentially.

They should just kill the hand-to-hand stuff altogether and just make cool predator arenas that are very challenging. When I was platinuming Arkham City I came across this video and it wowed me at the skill ceiling since it's almost impossible to do what he's doing and get all of the challenges.

I wouldn't scrap the hand-to-hand, but I agree the predator stuff is better top to bottom, and is fun with few enemies or with many. I was watching this video and noticed how predator segments, at super-efficient high level play, look more Batman-like than combat challenges when played in the most efficient way (not 100% necessary, but vaulting makes you invincible, and there are some move that are cheeseable for high scores).

It might be worth it to scrap the hand-to-hand though, I'm not sure. I can't think of an existing game that a new Batman should play like in that regard.

KevinCow

Banned
I can't really think of a better combat system for Batman than the one on the Arkham series. It just works perfectly for what you want Batman to do. Every other remotely remotely competent combat system I can think of starts to get into cartoony stuff like air combos and juggling people with guns, which I don't think has any place in a Batman game.

But at the same time, I feel like they pretty much pushed Arkham combat to its limit in Arkham Knight. I mean the jump from City combat to Knight combat was extremely small. Pretty much the only noteworthy thing they added was environmental interactions. So I don't think there's a whole lot of room to build on that combat system beyond Knight.

So I honestly don't know where they should go from here. Given the ending of Knight, the next Batman game will probably be a total reboot, so it probably won't have Arkham combat. But I don't know what they could replace it with that would be anywhere near as fun and satisfying and true to the character.

imo combats the last thing they should change in arkham games.

but yea areas with enemies that 1 shot you would be cool to make you play stealthily. (tho you already need to do some stealth to eliminate however many enemies you can before you alert them in harder difficulties anyway)

We've had brawlers and other kind of fighting in other games, and they failed because they made Batman seem weaker than he should be (due to the nature of combos and needing to whittle down health bars) or made the player not feel as skilled as one would want when playing as the Bat (due to button-mashy combat that isn't that smooth)

Arkham approach is the best approach. It puts you in Batman's shoes while feeling effortlessly stylish and efficient. I think it's a very great marriage of mechanics and character. The freeflow combat system is simple to execute but requires focus, timing, and some split-second planning to master (who to disarm, should you use the takedown now on that enemy with the gun or this stunned armored enemy, etc.)

Which perfectly slots into the mindset Batman has. Of course fighting these low-level thugs or even more elite forces is simple for him because of his skill, but also bcause of his ability to anticipate his enemies and plan each strike.

So the simple-yet-hard nature, the fluidity, and the moment-to-moment elements of fighting also intrinsically tie back to the character himself. The style of gameplay and the way it controls reinforces our image of the character

Arkham's combat is ace. I don't agree with combos being a weakness, shit piling up combos is fun as hell and especially when you stack that shit high or when an armored enemy comes into the mix.

I do think the system has a bit to do with most of the boss fights being uninteresting. From my perspective it seems like it'll be hard to design based around it.

I would take the basic skeleton of the Arkham combat and introduce enemies that put up more of a fight. The reason I loved A:O so much was because it introduced these martial artist enemies that would dodge some of your attacks. That kind of thing can help draw out fights with fewer enemies and introduce extra challenge to the game. The regular goons are needed to maintain the power fantasy, but we need to move beyond just adding more and more people to each fight and putting in 20 normal dudes, 5 guys with knives and 6 guys with armor for our idea of a tough late game fight. Arkham was a game about group combat, and after teaching you the rules the "exams" were just that - larger groups, with more of the single-gimmick enemies. They definitely need to make small scale combat it's own thing, perhaps even duels.

The Deathstroke fight was a bit simple but enjoyable. There should be more bosses that take inspiration from that at least - enemies you are fighting hand to hand who can block and dodge and who you need to take very seriously on an individual level. Enemies you have a back and forth with.

Sober

Arguably the only good clone of this style of combat was in Sleeping Dogs. It traded away the rhythmic feel for something a bit more precise. Well, it had a different rhythm anyway, instead of flying around, you'd sometimes have to go on the defensive or have charge attacks and combos to counter certain enemies, or maybe just throw a few quick punches and then stop and reevaluate. Or impaling them on swordfish heads and smashing them into fan vents.

We've had brawlers and other kind of fighting in other games, and they failed because they made Batman seem weaker than he should be (due to the nature of combos and needing to whittle down health bars) or made the player not feel as skilled as one would want when playing as the Bat (due to button-mashy combat that isn't that smooth)

Arkham approach is the best approach. It puts you in Batman's shoes while feeling effortlessly stylish and efficient. I think it's a very great marriage of mechanics and character. The freeflow combat system is simple to execute but requires focus, timing, and some split-second planning to master (who to disarm, should you use the takedown now on that enemy with the gun or this stunned armored enemy, etc.)

Which perfectly slots into the mindset Batman has. Of course fighting these low-level thugs or even more elite forces is simple for him because of his skill, but also bcause of his ability to anticipate his enemies and plan each strike.

So the simple-yet-hard nature, the fluidity, and the moment-to-moment elements of fighting also intrinsically tie back to the character himself. The style of gameplay and the way it controls reinforces our image of the character
The problem is that this combat system is very poor for boss fights, and it's plainly evident in the Deathstroke and Bane fights in Arkham Origins, where in the former, you're relegated to using simple attacks and counters, and in the latter, all you're doing is beating up little dudes until you have enough "meter" to do something to Bane. Either way, it's stupid and boring. Mr. Freeze gets around this by making the fight a predator map, but that wouldn't really work with most of Bats' rogues gallery.

My suggestion for boss fights is to have Batman always in freeflow focus mode, so you can actually do the cool stuff outside of scripted events. The bosses themselves would then need to have counters and evasions for what Batman can do.

ActWan

I was pretty amazed by the combat when I played Asylum back then. Still great IMO, very fun and addictive. Evolved well with every installment too.

Arguably the only good clone of this style of combat was in Sleeping Dogs. It traded away the rhythmic feel for something a bit more precise. Well, it had a different rhythm anyway, instead of flying around, you'd sometimes have to go on the defensive or have charge attacks and combos to counter certain enemies, or maybe just throw a few quick punches and then stop and reevaluate. Or impaling them on swordfish heads and smashing them into fan vents.
Arkham's combat is ace. I don't agree with combos being a weakness, shit piling up combos is fun as hell and especially when you stack that shit high or when an armored enemy comes into the mix.

I do think the system has a bit to do with most of the boss fights being uninteresting. From my perspective it seems like it'll be hard to design based around it.
What they needed to do was change up the gameplay more for the bosses. Which is why the Scarecrow boss fight was so memorable, or even Killer Croc (all your fighting and stealth was suddenly useless) or Mr Freeze (forced you to change up your predator tactics and experiment).

Imagine if you had to avoid Deadshot's sniper scope, while trying to triangulate his position using your gadgets to draw his fire and reveal his position.

Instead of doging ice blasts and fighting another big "Titan" boss with Grundy, Penguin's encounter could have focused on his shrewd businessman/information broker side. Akin to LA Noire, you could track down his informants for information that you could use to threaten Cobblepot in a "boss" dialogue encounter.

Joker should have taken more from Mask of the Phantasm or Killing Joke: Batman escaping from deadly traps while trying to reach the Joker instead of just waves of joker goons

Ra's should have been a straight-up swordfight, tweaking the freeflow combat and animations for a one-on-one swordfight against the man like in the comics

And so on

Soltype

I'd like the system to be more organic, I like the rhythm of the current games, but it's not very challenging.I think Origins tried to do this, but people didn't like it.

karasu

I hope they do change it. I love the games but I've never been overly fond of the floaty feel of the combat. It's never been how I've pictured Batman when I was reading his books. It's serviceable but I'd like something with more ferocity. maybe bring the camera in a little so I can feel the impact a little more.

Combat was great in the Rock steady games. Batman is a martial arts master, he should be able to just plow through the usual grunts.

The thing with future Batman games is that if they're open world, you need civilians. No more deserted "cities".

The design philosophy behind Arkham combat is fine, and combat's very respectable in how well it adheres to that philosophy. All of what you say rings true, but there are issues with the combat that don't necessarily contribute to those positives. There's the matter of the combo meter dictating flow of the combat more so than enemy attacks and player choice. Enemy attacks follow a predictable timing relative to one another rather than feeling like natural responses based on circumstance (enemies who should be afraid still fight the same) and enemy type (well-trained militia react the same as untrained henchmen). In order to allow the combo meter to always be sustainable, Batman has to soar unnaturally to far away enemies when attacking (strangely, most egregious in Knight, unless bounding off of a wall).

I don't consider "gaminess," to inherently be a negative, but here it just distracts from the experience imo — rather than beating up enemies, you're occasionally performing moves to keep the combo number going up, or merely playing an elaborate game of Rock, Paper, Scissors (stun+beat down/paper for armored guys/rocks, etc.) rather than fighting criminals who happen to be using different weapons/gear. Predator gameplay still introduces that ability countering metagame, but at its core, it feels like a 1:1 representation of Batman's abilities in a given circumstance.

It comes down to the predator segments truly feel like playing as Batman, whereas the hand-to-hand combat tends to feel more like an approximation in comparison.

How to improve it escapes me completely, like KevinCow said. I know what I don't like about the current system, but I can't think of replacements for the aspects I'd want removed/changed.

The application in boss fights is what shows the fundamental weakness with the combat imo. The only thing about i don't feel holds the experience back about the combo focus are the animations getting crazier. That's fine and doesn't arbitrarily dictate the flow of combat.

I've really liked the combat in the Arkham games at their best, and have liked the challenge keeping a combo and keeping track of enemy types while performing specific maneuvers, but it feels a little rote now with some of its shortcomings.

Top Bottom