• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 4K TV for PS4 Pro w/HDR?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
TCL P seems to be the new hotness in terms of of bang for the buck HDR tv. Should be a great choice for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X

This is not true. The only difference is the included remote. The 607 has the advanced remote with private listening via headphone jack. The 605 does not. Identical otherwise. Where did you read this about the 605?

Very strange then. I saw this on avsforum right underneath the review for the higher model.

edit: Correction, not avs. I will try to find it now. I definitely saw it last night while reading through some of them.

Found it! it's from the Verge review. My mistake. 4th comment from the top. And it appears they were talking about the TCL 55S405, not the 605 model you guys are referring to.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/15815602/tcl-roku-tv-4k-series-review-best-budget-tv

Probably a different TCL series, not the P series.

Yep, it's the S series 405 that they were referring to. How is the wide color gamut and brightness on the better P series being discussed here compared to other 4K HDR televisions? It probably has nothing on the more expensive ones, but does it meet all required standards? Although I see some pretty heavy praise for this set in comparison to more expensive sets.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm thinking about using that M50-E1 as a replacement for my desktop monitors. I have a pretty deep desk so I'd be able to have a 42" viewing distance, giving me about a 25 degree viewing angle to the sides. Looks like that would be ok from their video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0BqzAkUmVc
(just barely - it starts dimming a few degrees afterward)

Probably going to wind up holding out for one of those 35" curved 21:9 200Hz gsync monitors with HDR coming up in Q4, but I'm mulling it over.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey guys. I'm looking for <$800CAD 4K tv primarily for gaming. Been looking at Vizio E&D series but the lack of HDR is throwing me off.

Are there any other, similar budget TVs that offer better quality or does it even matter that much?

GreekWolf

Question - will the black levels and motion handling on this tv be shitty if I'm coming from a Panny Plasma?

I have a Panny VT50 and a TCL P on the way, so I'll give my impressions this week.

I'd like to think that I'm a bit more open-minded when it comes to competing formats. Most plasma owners will tell you that even the best LCD on the market (like the Sony ZD9) can't compete with plasma, but I would strongly disagree.

Alebelly

Also, size matters. While there are many options and questions, if you are interested in 49" and down, the few standouts would be the X900E, X800D and MU8000.

Norse

Ooh. Yeah that's almost worth waiting for eh?

Yes it is. It's out already in the States and looks great. Rtings.com gave it very good marks for hdr and gaming. I'm thinking rtings will give the tcl p series a score just under the M series Vizio in the HDR and overall picture quality. There's only $50 price difference between the two so either one is great value.

It´s so frustrating living in Europe.
It looks like we only get the inferior stuff.

No TCL P607
No Hisense H8C
No Vizio at all
:(

Any budget recommendations 50-55" for us EU peasants?

MilkyJoe

What we need is a thread that is updated regularly with tvs and their prices that have all of the important stats right there in black and white, with most notably input lag.

Boss Man

In my opinion, it doesn't exist. 4K and HDR only becomes worth it once you get over a certain price point. Coupled with the facts that you'll want a fairly large TV to get the best use out of 4K at normal viewing distances, and most "HDR" on lower models is disengenous labeling, you basically have to spend over $1000 to not simply be wasting $1000.

There's not a ton of content to take advantage of it anyway. It is still firmly enthusiast level technology. Just wait IMHO. If you suddenly need to get rid of $1500+ as soon as possible, then yeah sure jump in it's wonderful. There's no rush though.

In my opinion, it doesn't exist. 4K and HDR only becomes worth it once you get over a certain price point. Coupled with the facts that you'll want a fairly large TV to get the best use out of 4K at normal viewing distances, and most "HDR" on lower models is disengenous labeling, you basically have to spend over $1000 to not simply be wasting $1000.

There's not a ton of content to take advantage of it anyway. It is still firmly enthusiast level technology. Just wait IMHO. If you suddenly need to get rid of $1500+ as soon as possible, then yeah sure jump in it's wonderful. There's no rush though.
Perhaps you should read the thread first.
Just sayin...

Norse

Research a bit before posting.

2017 has changed all that. The Vizio m and tcl p series TV's do hdr with wide color etc for less than 650$.....one could argue that spending $1000-2000 is throwing away money as people that bought top of the line 4k sets just 2 yrs ago are screwed as none of those have the capability that the Vizio and tcl have for way less $$$ today.

Natiko

Banned
After reading some more I do think I want to go with something that's a bit cheaper with the plan of replacing it in 2-3 years as OLEDs go down in price. I'll likely pick between the Sony XBR55X900E, Vizio M55-D0, Vizio M55-E0, or TCL 55P607. Just have to compare and see which one seems like the best choice.

It´s so frustrating living in Europe.
It looks like we only get the inferior stuff.

No TCL P607
No Hisense H8C
No Vizio at all
:(

Any budget recommendations 50-55" for us EU peasants?

Yeah I'm really struggling to see a replacement to the KS series that is worth a dime in that price range. Doesn't look like I'm upgrading for a while at this rate.

They've come down in price significantly over the last 3 years (although still more expensive than LED, comparitively). Once 2018 models are announced (early 2018) you could grab a 2017 model for a significantly reduced price.

I apologize. That comment was a reactive post to the Samsung deal ending. What I original posted is now back, though I do wish OLED's were way closer to the price of LED's.

Norse

After reading some more I do think I want to go with something that's a bit cheaper with the plan of replacing it in 2-3 years as OLEDs go down in price. I'll likely pick between the Sony XBR55X900E, Vizio M55-D0, Vizio M55-E0, or TCL 55P607. Just have to compare and see which one seems like the best choice.

Exactly...those are all good choices. When you upgrade move the old set into a spare room. Rotate the oldest tv out of the house be giving to family, friend, or as a donation.

kurahadol

About $100 out of budget but might be able to wait for a sale? The TV was just released though: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/vizio-m50-e1-uhd-hdr-xled-plus-display/6000197057896
Is that available in a 65" anywhere in Canada? Or something similar to that in 65"?

Am I correct in remembering that the new M series are essentially the same as last years P-series?

Edit:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/vizio-65-4k-uhd-hdr-xled-smart-tv-m65-e0/10747939.aspx?

I think this is it?

Hey guys. I'm looking for <$800CAD 4K tv primarily for gaming. Been looking at Vizio E&D series but the lack of HDR is throwing me off.

Are there any other, similar budget TVs that offer better quality or does it even matter that much?

What size? If you're on a budget like that then go mid range, as Canada doesn't come close to US pricing on the premium stuff like the KS8000 or anything with full HDR at 10-bit and wide color gamut.

I've seen Vizio M's going for as low as $799, P series for $899 (or was it $999?). I have a smaller Vizio D that was $399 (1080p from 2016) and it is phenomenal at 43". I actually chose it over a few 4K models that were double the price because there was little discernible difference at a 8 foot distamce.

IMO your choices are:
-Sony X800E which is as low as $899 for a 43"
-Vizio M's
-Samsung KU6500 (6490 in Canada), disclosure: I have this in 50", does some sort of HDR, low input lag
-Samsung KU6290

The regular price for most of these is really high. You have to wait for a Costco manufacturer sale or check weekly flyers at Visions, Best Buy, 2001, etc. I've seen all but the Sony drop to $800 at some point. (Only to rise back up again)

I did a ton of research and read forums to find a nice one to settle on. I recommend going outside of GAF for your research, just to avoid confirmation bias. Aside from the general praise alll around for the KS8000, the above list also has alot of happy owners (though the 6290 was a boxing week item so lots of price conscious people buying)

Good luck!

Edit: I want to repeat that this advice is for Canada only, seeing as how our prices are MUCH higher than the US and the poster specified an $800 CAD limit

Okay, saw someone's uncalibrated TCL 55P607 today, and I have a pretty expensive LG OLED with all the bells and whistles in my living room, and I swear it looked every bit as good to me.

The 55P607 is now going in my room. I also had no idea it was a 120HZ set. How the heck did I miss this in the reviews?

Hey, need confirmation. How do you guys know that the 605 is a tv at the same caliber as the 607? I want one of these things bad for my bedroom, and I want to ensure I'm getting the same thing as the 607.

ncslamm

Okay, saw someone's uncalibrated TCL 55P607 today, and I have a pretty expensive LG OLED with all the bells and whistles in my living room, and I swear it looked every bit as good to me.

The 55P607 is now going in my room. I also had no idea it was a 120HZ set. How the heck did I miss this in the reviews?

Hey, need confirmation. How do you guys know that the 605 is a tv at the same caliber as the 607? I want one of these things bad for my bedroom, and I want to ensure I'm getting the same thing as the 607.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/878296620193857536

https://mobile.twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/878296542502764544

Pretty sure it's a 60hz set.

Yoshi88

Best Hisense H8C alternative for Europeans? Any other Hisense sets with good value for a budget price or should I look to the usual suspects aka LG etc ?

Best Hisense H8C alternative for Europeans? Any other Hisense sets with good value for a budget price or should I look to the usual suspects aka LG etc ?
The budget sets from Hisense and TCL are all not as good as the sets you can get in NA.
I would recommend looking for a good deal for last years Sony/Samsung models on ebay etc.

TheBoss1

Research a bit before posting.

2017 has changed all that. The Vizio m and tcl p series TV's do hdr with wide color etc for less than 650$.....one could argue that spending $1000-2000 is throwing away money as people that bought top of the line 4k sets just 2 yrs ago are screwed as none of those have the capability that the Vizio and tcl have for way less $$$ today.

The problem is that these budget TVs don't even come close to having the proper requirements for proper HDR10.

Peak brightness - 1000 nits minimum for LED/ 540 for OLED
Wide Color Gamut
10-bit panel

Doing proper research will show that 95% (if not higher) of TVs don't meet these requirements. Some come close but the budget TVs in particular lack in brightness significantly which is the biggest difference maker. The TCL P607 is the closest you will get to real HDR because it only lacks brightness but it is by far brighter than anything else in its price range which is why it is constantly recommended in this thread.

The Hisense, Samsung, Sony, LG, etc. budget sets in that price range lacks a lot more for proper HDR. Low brightness, 8-bit panels, and no wide color gamut are common on those sets that advertise to have HDR.

JB1981

The problem is that these budget TVs don't even come close to having the proper requirements for proper HDR10.

Peak brightness - 1000 nits minimum for LED/ 540 for OLED
Wide Color Gamut
10-bit panel

Doing proper research will show that 95% (if not higher) of TVs don't meet these requirements. Some come close but the budget TVs in particular lack in brightness significantly which is the biggest difference maker. The TCL P607 is the closest you will get to real HDR because it only lacks brightness but it is by far brighter than anything else in its price range which is why it is constantly recommended in this thread.

The Hisense, Samsung, Sony, LG, etc. budget sets in that price range lacks a lot more for proper HDR. Low brightness, 8-bit panels, and no wide color gamut are common on those sets that advertise to have HDR.

It's frustrating researching these tvs because even when you go into the technical details of the sets they don't explicitly state if the set is a 10-bit panel, supports wide color gamut or what the peak brightness is.

Hah, no way. You have no idea what you're talking about. That set doesn't support wide color gamut, has way worse input lag, and it can't even handle judder free 24p playback.

lol no

It has a peak brightness of 340 nits (KS8000 is 1600 nits) and no wide Color gamut. It isn't even in the ball park of being a true HDR set. Plus it has 3x the input lag of a set like the KS8000.

This shit cracks me up so much.

So OP wants a *BUDGET* TV and you start nitpicking about nits (yuck yuck) and color gamut... when you could literally buy 3 of the Hisense I recommended for the price of a 55" KS8000.

Seriously? Get the fuck outta here. One TV is $499 and one is ~$1799.

I can't stand when people go "I need something on a budget" and then snobs rush in going "well if you're going to spend money you should spend it on the absolute best thing tho even if it's triple your budget".

I think it's more because there are other budget options that beat out the Hisense, not that TVs that are way more expensive are better

the TCL 55p607/605 is ~$599 for instance and the 2017 Vizio M at 55" is around $699

They'd have a point if they were recommending those - but they're not.

They're recommending sets that are x3 the price for the same size.

The TCL is an interesting one though - I might pick that up on black friday and give my Hisense to my wife :D

phanphare

Banned
This shit cracks me up so much.

So OP wants a *BUDGET* TV and you start nitpicking about nits (yuck yuck) and color gamut... when you could literally buy 3 of the Hisense I recommended for the price of a 55" KS8000.

Seriously? Get the fuck outta here. One TV is $499 and one is ~$1799.

I can't stand when people go "I need something on a budget" and then snobs rush in going "well if you're going to spend money you should spend it on the absolute best thing tho even if it's triple your budget".

I think it's more because there are other budget options that beat out the Hisense, not that TVs that are way more expensive are better

the TCL 55p607/605 is ~$599 for instance and the 2017 Vizio M at 55" is around $699

Bandini

Are they making a 65" TCL P? Their website has 50", 55", and 65" models but there's no pricing on the 50" or the 65" and I can only find the 55". Seeing the S in 65" but it doesn't have Dolby HDR.

Can anyone recommend a different 65"? Will be used for streaming and gaming. Would like to keep it under $1100. Thanks

Top Bottom