• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 4K TV for PS4 Pro w/HDR?

Norse

The problem is that these budget TVs don't even come close to having the proper requirements for proper HDR10.

Peak brightness - 1000 nits minimum for LED/ 540 for OLED
Wide Color Gamut
10-bit panel

Doing proper research will show that 95% (if not higher) of TVs don't meet these requirements. Some come close but the budget TVs in particular lack in brightness significantly which is the biggest difference maker. The TCL P607 is the closest you will get to real HDR because it only lacks brightness but it is by far brighter than anything else in its price range which is why it is constantly recommended in this thread.

The Hisense, Samsung, Sony, LG, etc. budget sets in that price range lacks a lot more for proper HDR. Low brightness, 8-bit panels, and no wide color gamut are common on those sets that advertise to have HDR.

Sure, the Hisense h8c, tcl p605/7, and 2017 Vizio m series may not be as bright as the high end sets, but all the reviews on these 3 TV's say they do good to very good HDR. And at $500-$650 for 55" models, that's awesome. Hell, you could buy a tcl p series, and a new 1X for less money than the high end sets. And of all the 2016 high-end sets, how many of them scored above a 8.3 for hdr gaming or movies?

Lastly, the OP's thread title specifically mentioned "budget".

RedAssedApe

Banned
My tcl p series has some bad black uniformity when fald is off and is still often noticeable even when fald is high.

Just curious if anyone else with the set is seeing this. A few similar reports at Avs and Amazon but a lot of those seem to be the same posters so small sample size.

Are they making a 65" TCL P? Their website has 50", 55", and 65" models but there's no pricing on the 50" or the 65" and I can only find the 55". Seeing the S in 65" but it doesn't have Dolby HDR.

Can anyone recommend a different 65"? Will be used for streaming and gaming. Would like to keep it under $1100. Thanks

Yes.
50" and 65" release in autumn 2017.

I asked TCL Europe on Twitter about the P607 coming to us, they are forwarding the question:
https://twitter.com/TCL_Europe/status/879315886032568320

This shit cracks me up so much.

So OP wants a *BUDGET* TV and you start nitpicking about nits (yuck yuck) and color gamut... when you could literally buy 3 of the Hisense I recommended for the price of a 55" KS8000.

Seriously? Get the fuck outta here. One TV is $499 and one is ~$1799.

I can't stand when people go "I need something on a budget" and then snobs rush in going "well if you're going to spend money you should spend it on the absolute best thing tho even if it's triple your budget".

First off, the KS8000 can regularly be had for around $1000 and has been had for less. So it's not the $1800 you claim it to be.

Second, I was disputing the notion that it was almost as good when there's a huge gap in difference. You seem to agree with me by pointing out it's a more expensive TV.

Third, the request of the thread is not simply a budget TV but a budget 4K TV with HDR and the reality of the situation as it stands today is that TV being recommended doesn't fit the bill because it's HDR implementation is terrible and most cheap TVs fall under that. The KS8000 at $1000 does fit when you factor all the criteria being asked. Only recently has there been possibly some other options, but the jury is still out on some of them like the TCL being mentioned. It sounds like it has potential, but it's still too new to be sure at this point. Proper HDR isn't a cheap feature and people shouldn't be wasting their time with shitty implementations. That includes 8 bit panels and those that lack wide color gamut. Otherwise you're just marking off a checkbox on a list that says HDR only to have it checked off without really caring what you're getting as a result.

splattered

I'm very much interested in the TCL P 55" sets now after reading through this thread and the AVS forums... I understand that it may be a panel lottery but i'm fine with working exchanges where needed.

That being said, these are so cheap i'm considering picking up three of them to replace older/failing TVs in the house haha

I've read on some sites that these have surprisingly low lag input for gaming, like unusually low - even in modes other than game mode?

For those that already own this set how is the lag input? Does putting the TV in Game Mode drastically reduce the IQ or just a tad? What does it do exactly besides disable local dimming?

I'm prob gonna compromise and get the 605 from best buy and live with the crappier remote.

Supposedly there is a firmware update out that largely fixes the FALD issues some are seeing with the new sets? Not a lot of people are posing impressions post-update on AVS yet.

yeah this looks like a killer tv for video games

they also mention again that the actual TV is the same between the 605 and 607 model

Oh ok, that's cool. This TV should be very appealing for people who might have been looking at the Sony X800D within the last few months. It is larger than the more recommended 43" X800D at 55", a bit better for HDR games, and it is the same price

Oh ok, that's cool. This TV should be very appealing for people who might have been looking at the Sony X800D within the last few months. It is larger than the more recommended 43" X800D at 55", a bit better for HDR games, and it is the same price

yea this should be the new BUDGET recommendation

Norse

Great rtings.com review. Gotta love those HDR movie and gaming scores. I think I may have to get this over the Vizio m series now. Course I will see if my eyes tell me differently.

Also great that they confirmed the 605 is same TV as 607 but has inferior remote w/out headphone jack.

8.4 HDR movies
8.6 HDR gaming

Wonder if my best buy has one in stock....hehe

jchung55

What would be the best way to buy the TCL 55p607 from Canada? I asked about it coming to Canada and it doesn't look like thats happening.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Great rtings.com review. Gotta love those HDR movie and gaming scores. I think I may have to get this over the Vizio m series now. Course I will see if my eyes tell me differently.

Also great that they confirmed the 605 is same TV as 607 but has inferior remote w/out headphone jack.

8.4 HDR movies
8.6 HDR gaming

Wonder if my best buy has one in stock....hehe

No Best Buys here in Los Angeles have it. I think they are all at their warehouse hubs right now and the "date" they show when you order for store pickup is a shipping from warehouse estimate. Might as well order from shipping to your home so you don't have to transport it yourself. You also might be able to go pick it up from a warehouse if there is one nearby. That showed up as an option for me.

I ordered mine for home shipping last Friday and got it Sunday afternoon. ymmv but that was much faster than expected.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Only just started looking into this and the Samsung naming in Europe is a joke. I'm at the stage where the KS7000 can't be found easily but there's a few KS8000's around but also quite rare and finding reviews and stuff is a pain in the ass!

Is there gonna be a new gen Samsung that is the one to get now that KS7000 is gone?

Marmelade

Only just started looking into this and the Samsung naming in Europe is a joke. I'm at the stage where the KS7000 can't be found easily but there's a few KS8000's around but also quite rare and finding reviews and stuff is a pain in the ass!

Is there gonna be a new gen Samsung that is the one to get now that KS7000 is gone?

Not at the moment.
The Q7/Q8/Q9 are not worth it over the KS and the MU line is inferior.
Get a KS while you can or get something else from another brand (the Sony XE900* for example but it's quite a bit pricier than a KS)

Norse

No Best Buys here in Los Angeles have it. I think they are all at their warehouse hubs right now and the "date" they show when you order for store pickup is a shipping from warehouse estimate. Might as well order from shipping to your home so you don't have to transport it yourself. You also might be able to go pick it up from a warehouse if there is one nearby. That showed up as an option for me.

I ordered mine for home shipping last Friday and got it Sunday afternoon. ymmv but that was much faster than expected.

Yup, I can drive 3 hrs to the BB warehouse and get it now or have it by this Friday if I order it.

Wonder if Target or Walmart will get it...they have the S series at the moment.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yup, I can drive 3 hrs to the BB warehouse and get it now or have it by this Friday if I order it.

Wonder if Target or Walmart will get it...they have the S series at the moment.

not sure about any of those places but I believe someone over at avsforum said that TCL confirmed that costco would get it. probably the best place to get it if you have a membership due to the great return policy.

Norse

not sure about any of those places but I believe someone over at avsforum said that TCL confirmed that costco would get it. probably the best place to get it if you have a membership due to the great return policy.

Excellent....I do and the Costco is only 10 mins from my house. Thx for the info

Rbk_3

The TCL looks great, but as a big sports fan, that grey uniformity is kind of a killer.

So OP wants a *BUDGET* TV and you start nitpicking about nits (yuck yuck) and color gamut... when you could literally buy 3 of the Hisense I recommended for the price of a 55" KS8000.

I can't stand when people go "I need something on a budget" and then snobs rush in going "well if you're going to spend money you should spend it on the absolute best thing tho even if it's triple your budget".

They'd have a point if they were recommending those - but they're not.

They're recommending sets that are x3 the price for the same size.

The TCL is an interesting one though - I might pick that up on black friday and give my Hisense to my wife :D

It doesn't really display HDR any better than a non HDR TV, is my point. I am sure it is a fine budget TV, but if you want a TV to do HDR, that isn't the one you want.

You say I am nit picking about nits and WCG but that is basically what HDR is all about. The ability to produce brighter highlights and a wider range of colors. If an HDR TV cannot get any brighter than a regular TV and doesn't have a wide color gamut, how can you even call it an HDR TV?

They'd have a point if they were recommending those - but they're not.

They're recommending sets that are x3 the price for the same size.

The TCL is an interesting one though - I might pick that up on black friday and give my Hisense to my wife :D

Those TVs don't cost the much. I bought a brand new 55" KS8000 for $900 not long ago.

Astral

Was playing Tekken when my Insignia's screen went black and all it had was audio. I guess this means it's time to buy a 4KTV. So TCL is good? I'm rather suspicious of the price...

Was playing Tekken when my Insignia's screen went black and all it had was audio. I guess this means it's time to buy a 4KTV. So TCL is good? I'm rather suspicious of the price...

It's sounding like it's good for the price point. If you're looking for well under $1000, this is probably a good pick. It's still going to have flaws that are improved upon by more expensive TVs. If you can budget around $1000, you're probably better off with the Samsung KS8000 or now it sounds like there's a new Sony that might be a better choice. There will be better TVs if you want to spend more too.

malcher

Recently I started looking around for a 4K TV for Xbox One X, but have one big doubt: how do these TVs work with the SD and HD content? I still use over-the-air TV which is SD and most of the other content (other consoles, PC) would still be in HD, only Xbox in 4k. Is the SD picture going to look super ugly on 50'' 4K set?

Chao

As long as it plays 4k fine you're ok. Hdr is not worth the hassle IMO, so you can even get one without the feature for less money.

Even 4k is really not that big of a deal, I think the best part about PS4 pro is the better performance in some games and that's about it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If you're not gonna get hdr I don't see the point in getting a 4K set at this point. HDR from what content I've seen is a bigger deal than 4K.

Recently I started looking around for a 4K TV for Xbox One X, but have one big doubt: how do these TVs work with the SD and HD content? I still use over-the-air TV which is SD and most of the other content (other consoles, PC) would still be in HD, only Xbox in 4k. Is the SD picture going to look super ugly on 50'' 4K set?

Assuming you mean broadcast channels like cbs, abc, NBC, etc. those should all be 720p or 1080i. Not sure what you're still watching that's below that but all the stuff already looked like ass anyways lol DVD I guess?

Those channels definitely look softer to me when I moved from 1080p to 4K set but they don't. Quality can fluctuate depending on the programming as well. 1080p stuff like Netflix, Amazon etc. looks decent upscaled.

IKizzLE

As long as it plays 4k fine you're ok. Hdr is not worth the hassle IMO, so you can even get one without the feature for less money.

Even 4k is really not that big of a deal, I think the best part about PS4 pro is the better performance in some games and that's about it.
HDR is actually more impressive than the 4k resolution. Please, don't pass ill informed information. Is this opinion from a first hand account?

Rbk_3

HDR is actually more impressive than the 4k resolution. Please, don't pass ill informed information. Is this opinion from a first hand account?

Plus 4k makes a huge difference. I have my PC hooked to my TV and 1080p vs 4k is night and day.

TheBoss1

Can anyone recommend a different 65"? Will be used for streaming and gaming. Would like to keep it under $1100. Thanks
Good luck!
It's frustrating researching these tvs because even when you go into the technical details of the sets they don't explicitly state if the set is a 10-bit panel, supports wide color gamut or what the peak brightness is.
AVS Forums
RTINGS
HDTVtest

You're welcome!

Jamiaro

LG OLED 55B6V, 55" tv.

Is this a good model to buy for PS4-gaming? I just wanted to post this here while looking for data. My old tv broke down and I have chance of getting this for 1499 euros...

TheBoss1

Sure, the Hisense h8c, tcl p605/7, and 2017 Vizio m series may not be as bright as the high end sets, but all the reviews on these 3 TV's say they do good to very good HDR. And at $500-$650 for 55" models, that's awesome. Hell, you could buy a tcl p series, and a new 1X for less money than the high end sets. And of all the 2016 high-end sets, how many of them scored above a 8.3 for hdr gaming or movies?

Lastly, the OP's thread title specifically mentioned "budget".
Well my first post gave recommendations for people in all price ranges except for the sub-$500 budget group, since I refuse to recommend bad TVs.

My TV Recommendations
First off, the KS8000 can regularly be had for around $1000 and has been had for less. So it's not the $1800 you claim it to be.

Second, I was disputing the notion that it was almost as good when there's a huge gap in difference. You seem to agree with me by pointing out it's a more expensive TV.

Third, the request of the thread is not simply a budget TV but a budget 4K TV with HDR and the reality of the situation as it stands today is that TV being recommended doesn't fit the bill because it's HDR implementation is terrible and most cheap TVs fall under that. The KS8000 at $1000 does fit when you factor all the criteria being asked. Only recently has there been possibly some other options, but the jury is still out on some of them like the TCL being mentioned. It sounds like it has potential, but it's still too new to be sure at this point. Proper HDR isn't a cheap feature and people shouldn't be wasting their time with shitty implementations. That includes 8 bit panels and those that lack wide color gamut. Otherwise you're just marking off a checkbox on a list that says HDR only to have it checked off without really caring what you're getting as a result.
Thank you! There's a lost of ignorance going on in this thread from people who want to validate their purchases even if they have no clue what they're talking about.
LG OLED 55B6V, 55" tv.

Is this a good model to buy for PS4-gaming? I just wanted to post this here while looking for data. My old tv broke down and I have chance of getting this for 1499 euros...

Yes. Good price too!

TheBoss1

I read that people were having issues with their PS4 Pros, I suppose those issues are dealt with? Otherwise this seems quite solid!

It's still an ongoing issue even with 2017 LG OLED sets. Seems like some people are having handshaking issues aka HDMI connection not working properly. Many say monoprice cables work fine but I don't think people should be going through that when spending a ton of money on a premium TV. I still think it's worth getting for that price though.

Jamiaro

It's still an ongoing issue even with 2017 LG OLED sets. Seems like some people are having handshaking issues aka HDMI connection not working properly. Many say monoprice cables work fine but I don't think people should be going through that when spending a ton of money on a premium TV. I still think it's worth getting for that price though.

Alright, thank you. I better hope I don't have any issues then. :D I'll have a look at couple of reviews and make my mind after that.

Marmelade

Not on sale yet, but this one could be legit if priced right?'
http://www.hisense.es/es/manuales-de-productos-hisense/television-hisense/item/637-h65nu8700.html

spanish link but gets the job done. It has the certification someone posted previously that should mean real 10 bit panel and enought nits to do real HDR.

Hopefully has decent input lag too.

This is gonna be a lot more expensive than the P607 though
The 55N6800 is already 800€ here in France so I imagine the NU8700 to be quite a bit more than that.

Edit: found a link about the NU8700 (http://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-2108...e-nu8700-deux-modeles-design-hdr-supreme.html)
MSRP is 1499€ for the 55NU8700 and 1999€ for the 65"...

Norse

Shop around people. I just came back from a best buy and Costco run. Tcl wasn't at either so can't comment on that but....

Costco had 2016 Vizio P series 50" display model for $500 even. Was beautiful and almost pulled the trigger. They also had a 55" ks8000 display unit for $899. They had some others as well but these 2 really stood out. Vizio M 60" 2016 models for 649 too.

Glad I'm not in a huge hurry as I still need to get a room or my basement ready to become my gaming cave so just wanted people to remember that there are deals out there if you just take the time to look.

Marmelade

By response time I assume you meant input lag? Response times aren't nearly as important as input lag.

I totally disagree.
Pixel reponse time is extremely important (whether it's for gaming, watching movies...) and that's why I find weird that a lot people seem to think that as long as a TV has low input lag it is suited for gaming.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Shop around people. I just came back from a best buy and Costco run. Tcl wasn't at either so can't comment on that but....

Costco had 2016 Vizio P series 50" display model for $500 even. Was beautiful and almost pulled the trigger. They also had a 55" ks8000 display unit for $899. They had some others as well but these 2 really stood out. Vizio M 60" 2016 models for 649 too.

Glad I'm not in a huge hurry as I still need to get a room or my basement ready to become my gaming cave so just wanted people to remember that there are deals out there if you just take the time to look.

Wish I had a membership. Also Costco website sucks and seems completely disconnected with what they actually have in stores. Do they still not let you in if you don't have a membership card? It's been so long since I went to one. I still remember when they used to be called price club lol

aka_bueno

Are the viewing angles that bad on the 2017 Vizio M? I have a bedroom TV Sony 40w600b and it looks great from directly in front but just from a side angle and the colors get washed out badly, blacks turn bluish.

I'd like to avoid that for a living room TV so if the M series is like this, then it's a no-go for me :(

Chao

Yes, own a very good set too. Tech is not really that impressive, diminishing returns is hitting hard this gen for me.

JB1981

Anybody here have any idea what the input lag measurements are for the Panasonic plasma PZ85u? Trying to determine what I would be dealing with in terms of input lag differential if I pick a new set. I'm very happy with the input lag response on the Panny.

Boss Man

I stand corrected on saying it's not worth it to buy a budget 4K TV. Looks like that has changed recently.

People saying not to buy a cheap 4K TV aren't incapable of understanding budgets, the argument is that the technology you'd get at a budget level wouldn't be worth upgrading from a good (older, cheaper) 1080p set.

It'd be like someone driving a $30k car asking about a budget self driving car, but any self driving car under $40k was built like a Fiesta and routinely wrecked itself. Stick to your Acura for now.

JB1981

Question with regard to LCD "viewing angles." I have my plasma sitting above my mantelpiece so it sits up pretty high. Now with plasma there is no issue with off-axis viewing or anything. The viewing angle is perfect regardless. If I put an LCD up there, will I not be viewing the tv in the "sweet spot"? Does the TV need to be at eye level for you to get the most out of the picture?

Top Bottom