• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 4K TV for PS4 Pro w/HDR?

As long as it plays 4k fine you're ok. Hdr is not worth the hassle IMO, so you can even get one without the feature for less money.

Even 4k is really not that big of a deal, I think the best part about PS4 pro is the better performance in some games and that's about it.

This is so wrong. Horizon Zero Dawn looks like different game with HDR. As more games start to implement it well it will be a big deal. Higher resolution speaks for itself. It just looks cleaner.

As long as it plays 4k fine you're ok. Hdr is not worth the hassle IMO, so you can even get one without the feature for less money.

Even 4k is really not that big of a deal, I think the best part about PS4 pro is the better performance in some games and that's about it.

LOL

you might be playing on a low quality set man. This is just not the case.

Norse

Question with regard to LCD "viewing angles." I have my plasma sitting above my mantelpiece so it sits up pretty high. Now with plasma there is no issue with off-axis viewing or anything. The viewing angle is perfect regardless. If I put an LCD up there, will I not be viewing the tv in the "sweet spot"? Does the TV need to be at eye level for you to get the most out of the picture?

Good way to find out is to visit tv store and look at them from all angles. I've never had an issue with any lcd in regards to viewing angles. It's not like those cheap laptop screens that we're so bad it took awhile to open the laptop just enough so everything was vivid.

Norse

Wish I had a membership. Also Costco website sucks and seems completely disconnected with what they actually have in stores. Do they still not let you in if you don't have a membership card? It's been so long since I went to one. I still remember when they used to be called price club lol

Yup, parents used to take me to priceclub for groceries and stuff way back in the 1980's lol

My Costco has split entrance so you don't need a card to enter as one side goes to cs to get membership and you could just then mosie on into food court then you're pretty much in. My mbrship is up end of July I think.

Jamiaro

LG OLED 55B6V is still an option for me for 1500 euros.

But I may have a chance of getting the Samsung 55" LED Smart 4K SUHD TV UE55KS7005XXE (Finland equivalent of KS8000 as far as I know...) for 1200 euros.

Which one would be better for gaming and movies? I know the OLEDs have had problems with PS4 Pros in the past, and that the KS8000 is a solid option. I think I already know the answer, but I'd like opinions. :/

TheBoss1

I stand corrected on saying it's not worth it to buy a budget 4K TV. Looks like that has changed recently.

People saying not to buy a cheap 4K TV aren't incapable of understanding budgets, the argument is that the technology you'd get at a budget level wouldn't be worth upgrading from a good (older, cheaper) 1080p set.

It'd be like someone driving a $30k car asking about a budget self driving car, but any self driving car under $40k was built like a Fiesta and routinely wrecked itself. Stick to your Acura for now.
It's like when guys go from a 2005 Honda Accord to 2006 BMW 325i just because the brand sounds better.
LG OLED 55B6V is still an option for me for 1500 euros.

But I may have a chance of getting the Samsung 55" LED Smart 4K SUHD TV UE55KS7005XXE (Finland equivalent of KS8000 as far as I know...) for 1200 euros.

Which one would be better for gaming and movies? I know the OLEDs have had problems with PS4 Pros in the past, and that the KS8000 is a solid option. I think I already know the answer, but I'd like opinions. :/

OLED

TheBoss1

Technically any TV that has HDR is "real" HDR. It just means that it can accept an HDR signal from source material like a video streaming service or Blu-Ray disc. It doesn't mean it will show it properly though. A proper HDR display would support a wide color gamut, be a 10-bit panel, and have peak brightness of at least 1000 nits for LCD and 540 nits for OLED. There are only two handful of TVs that meet all those requirements.

My girlfirend has an HDR TV (LG UH5500) that has a 10-bit panel, but doesn't have a wide color gamut and tops out at a brightness of almost 300 nits. When the TV picks up an HDR source it will switch to an HDR picture that is very saturated and overly sharpened, but going into the settings will reveal that they boosted color settings by raising the color value from 50 to 55, enabling dynamic contrast, and changing the color gamut from normal to extended. Turning these settings off and placing color back at 50 reveals a picture that I can't tell much difference, if at all, from SDR content.

This leads me to believe people are being mislead by having inaccurate settings that appears to be proper HDR when in reality you could do the same with SDR content and make it look like HDR, albeit horribly.

Norse

Why are there settings that have to be turned on for current HDR TV's to show HDR? It's stupid. If it has HDR it should all be automatic and I still don't know why it isn't.

DesertFox

Why are there settings that have to be turned on for current HDR TV's to show HDR? It's stupid. If it has HDR it should all be automatic and I still don't know why it isn't.
What do you mean? My TV goes in the HDR mode automatically when it detects an HDR signal.

Spasm

Has TCL said anything about the price/availability of the 65" P series? I'd hate to get the 55" and have the 65" come out 3 months later. Any TV I get at this point is a stop-gap until 4k HDR PJs are more accessible, so I'd like to spend as little as possible, while still getting decent performance and size.

So is this a new troll character or what?

Norse

What do you mean? My TV goes in the HDR mode automatically when it detects an HDR signal.

And your TV is a?

I thought TV's had to have all that stuff turned on in the TV's setting to work? I mean take a look at the threads for ps4 pro tv settings here. Even a special one for ks8000 TV's.

DesertFox

And your TV is a?

I thought TV's had to have all that stuff turned on in the TV's setting to work? I mean take a look at the threads for ps4 pro tv settings here. Even a special one for ks8000 TV's.
TCL 55p605. It does have HDR picture settings separate from standard picture settings, but once all that is configured you're done. The set will switch between SDR and HDR modes automatically depending on whether or not the signal is detected.

Worth noting, I don't have a PS4 Pro so I'm not sure if the system sends a constant "HDR source" signal whether or not what you're watching is compatible. So I don't know how it would behave in that instance.

Norse

TCL 55p605. It does have HDR picture settings separate from standard picture settings, but once all that is configured you're done. The set will switch between SDR and HDR modes automatically depending on whether or not the signal is detected.

Worth noting, I don't have a PS4 Pro so I'm not sure if the system sends a constant "HDR source" signal whether or not what you're watching is compatible. So I don't know how it would behave in that instance.

Yup, that what I'm talking about. Why do we have to turn anything on in the settings? Why don't they ship with those things on by default?

How do you like the TCL so far?

GreekWolf

Best Buy rescheduled my TCL P605 for delivery this weekend, so I'm wondering if there's a shortage or mine's being shipped from another location. I saw some AVSforum members dealing with the same thing.

phanphare

Banned
Best Buy rescheduled my TCL P605 for delivery this weekend, so I'm wondering if there's a shortage or mine's being shipped from another location. I saw some AVSforum members dealing with the same thing.

yeah same here, had mine scheduled for july 3 and had to reschedule to july 5

seems to be all good now but I've got a feeling I won't be receiving my tv then

DesertFox

How do you like the TCL so far?
The picture quality has really impressed me. When watching 4K HDR content it looks outstanding. Screen uniformity could be better, but for the price point it is totally acceptable. The local dimming really helps make stuff pop, even certain SDR content. Most importantly, I don't believe you can do much better input lag wise than this TV. Input lag is perceptibly non existent in game mode, and only slight when outside game mode. I only hope that through firmware updates they add the option to have local dimming on in game mode. That would be icing on the cake.

That being said, I have a replacement coming Friday due to a panel defect. I have about a 1cm long line of dead pixels near the center of the screen. I'm hoping that is a fluke and not a sign of lousy manufacturing. Fingers crossed that my new set doesn't have the same problem.

Bottom line - for $600 I am hugely impressed by this TV. Incredible value.

DavidDesu

BATGAF signal!!! I need help GAF.

Moving to a new flat. My current 32 inch Full HD Panasonic that's about 5 years old is staying with my ex. I'm getting a new TV from Argos (can buy 12 months interest free credit) and I feel like I've whittled it down to 2 choices.

I want a much bigger screen, 43 inch and 49 inch are my ballpark, and I'd like 4K with HDR for the few benefits I'll get with my launch PS4 for HDR games. Sadly the internet in my new flat simply won't work for 4K streaming the speed will be too slow so that rules out 4K Netflix, and since I'm not buying a 4K Bluray player it means my use of 4K will be extremely limited until I maybe get a PS4 Pro down the line (so frustrating they never put a 4K bluray player in the thing!!!!).

So, I have two options. A huge 49 inch Full HD LG set that sounds like it has pretty decent picture quality, for the price and size of the set. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5380770

Or we have a 43 inch Phillips (with Ambilight which I kinda like the sound of to be honest) Ultra HD with HDR. It seems disconcertingly cheap so I dunno if the HDR on this set is even remotely decent. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5389465

[EDIT: This guy's review of the Philips 4K set and Ambilight is selling me on it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKP5rv-QUM8 ]

So I'm wondering, get a 4K set now even though I'll largely be bereft of 4K content, and take the hit that the screen is smaller, but it does future proof me perhaps.. or get the nice big 49 inch Full HD TV that will be like going to the movies in my living room?!

HELP GAF. Would like to order soon to arrange delivery for the day I move in next week!

I've trawled the TV's they have on offer and some good looking ones fail because I need three HDMI ports and they've had a measly two. These seem like the best on offer in my £350 or slightly above price range.

TheBoss1

BATGAF signal!!! I need help GAF.

Moving to a new flat. My current 32 inch Full HD Panasonic that's about 5 years old is staying with my ex. I'm getting a new TV from Argos (can buy 12 months interest free credit) and I feel like I've whittled it down to 2 choices.

I want a much bigger screen, 43 inch and 49 inch are my ballpark, and I'd like 4K with HDR for the few benefits I'll get with my launch PS4 for HDR games. Sadly the internet in my new flat simply won't work for 4K streaming the speed will be too slow so that rules out 4K Netflix, and since I'm not buying a 4K Bluray player it means my use of 4K will be extremely limited until I maybe get a PS4 Pro down the line (so frustrating they never put a 4K bluray player in the thing!!!!).

So, I have two options. A huge 49 inch Full HD LG set that sounds like it has pretty decent picture quality, for the price and size of the set. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5380770

Or we have a 43 inch Phillips (with Ambilight which I kinda like the sound of to be honest) Ultra HD with HDR. It seems disconcertingly cheap so I dunno if the HDR on this set is even remotely decent. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5389465

[EDIT: This guy's review of the Philips 4K set and Ambilight is selling me on it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKP5rv-QUM8 ]

So I'm wondering, get a 4K set now even though I'll largely be bereft of 4K content, and take the hit that the screen is smaller, but it does future proof me perhaps.. or get the nice big 49 inch Full HD TV that will be like going to the movies in my living room?!

HELP GAF. Would like to order soon to arrange delivery for the day I move in next week!

I've trawled the TV's they have on offer and some good looking ones fail because I need three HDMI ports and they've had a measly two. These seem like the best on offer in my £350 or slightly above price range.

When are you moving to your new spot? With that budget, you won't be getting any decent TVs. I would save up a few hundred more and get something better, like the 43" Sony X800D, but that all depends on how soon you're moving in.

With a budget of $800-1,100, what are some recommendations you guys would make for a 4K/HDR TV?

I always hear "real/true 4K" thrown around as if some TV's labeled 4K aren't actually 4K, and I honestly don't know what any of that is about. Just need something that'll look great when paired with my new PS4 Pro (kinda took advantage of this weekend's GameStop promo and got one without spending a dime lol)

TheBoss1

With a budget of $800-1,100, what are some recommendations you guys would make for a 4K/HDR TV?

I always hear "real/true 4K" thrown around as if some TV's labeled 4K aren't actually 4K, and I honestly don't know what any of that is about. Just need something that'll look great when paired with my new PS4 Pro (kinda took advantage of this weekend's GameStop promo and got one without spending a dime lol)
Sony 49" X900E. Thank me later.
To me HDR just looks like it makes the image darker and that's about it,
What TV do you have currently? I'd bet you have a budget set because you wouldn't be saying that on a proper HDR set.

UK here.

£699 for a Samsung 55MU7000 (USA 55MU8000).

Is this any good?

Really only for gaming on ps4 pro.

How is the HDR?

Is the fact it's edge lit and only 583 nits (playing in a darkened room mainly) mean everything is gonna be washed out/grey/bad hdr?

I currently game on a Benq1070 PJ @ 65" @ 8ft away but was thinking a 55" would be ok if I move closer (maybe 4ft).

I really want a 65" but once I start to get to that price range, I'm more inclined to wait till the better quality sets become cheaper. For example, a Samsung 65Q9FN is £3800!

Any impressions of anyone who may own one if these would be much appreciated.

:)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
UK here.

Is this any good?

How is the HDR?

Is the fact it's edge lit and only 583 nits (playing in a darkened room mainly) mean everything is gonna be washed out/grey/bad hdr?

I currently game on a Benq1070 PJ @ 65" @ 8ft away but was thinking a 55" would be ok if I move closer (maybe 4ft).

I really want a 65" but once I start to get to that price range, I'm more inclined to wait till the better quality sets become cheaper. For example, a Samsung 65Q9FN is £3800!

I have the 7 series from last year, it has fake hdr. (although samsumg calls it something else) the one with the real panel starts with 8 series. Its an ok tv with low lag even without game mode enabled but the colors could be better and it could be brighter. Movies look ok-ish but if I was a movie dude and not a gamer I'd prob rate my tv a 5 or something. My sister has a mid entry Sony and it just destroys my 7 series in blacks/colors...also only ONE HDMI is 4k HDR compatible.

Toe-Knee

UK here.

Is this any good?

How is the HDR?

Spend a little more and get a Sony xe9005.

I local dimming and great contrast and full fat hdr

I have the 7 series from last year, it has fake hdr. (although samsumg calls it something else) the one with the real panel starts with 8 series. Its an ok tv with low lag even without game mode enabled but the colors could be better and it could be brighter. Movies look ok-ish but if I was a movie dude and not a gamer I'd prob rate my tv a 5 or something. My sister has a mid entry Sony and it just destroys my 7 series in blacks/colors...also only ONE HDMI is 4k HDR compatible.

So the MU7000 (MU8000 USA) has fake HDR?

Spend a little more and get a Sony xe9005.

I local dimming and great contrast and full fat hdr

Yeah that's about £1000 so although its a bit more expensive, it's still £300.

At this point I'm starting to think about NU8000 @ £1399 which has an interpolation mode with low input lag so 30fps games look a bit like 60fps.

Just need some peoples hands on who have a Ps4 pro.

Thanks for replays people :)

nowhat

Those have fake 4k...
This is the first-time ever that I've heard about "fake 4K" (when it comes to displays, sure "faux-K" when referring to checkerboarding and such is familiar - it wasn't funny initially and isn't funny now, but I digress). When it comes to contemporary TVs, the resolution is either 2160p or 1080p (I don't think any 720p sets are made anymore).

But "fake" HDR, that sure may be. A TV may "support" HDR (that is, not completely bork when receiving an HDR signal), but still lack a native 10-bit display/high enough peak brightness/enough local dimming and so on, making the effect pretty neglible. However, I don't think "fake 4K" is a thing - if you feel otherwise, please do enlighten us.

Toe-Knee

So the MU7000 (MU8000 USA) has fake HDR?

Yeah that's about £1000 so although its a bit more expensive, it's still £300.

At this point I'm starting to think about NU8000 @ £1399 which has an interpolation mode with low input lag so 30fps games look a bit like 60fps.

Just need some peoples hands on who have a Ps4 pro.

Thanks for replays people :)

If you look on kagoo you can pick them up for ~£849

With regards to the mu8000 I was under the impression it was the ks7000 but an updated model.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first-time ever that I've heard about "fake 4K" (when it comes to displays, sure "faux-K" when referring to checkerboarding and such is familiar - it wasn't funny initially and isn't funny now, but I digress). When it comes to contemporary TVs, the resolution is either 2160p or 1080p (I don't think any 720p sets are made anymore).

But "fake" HDR, that sure may be. A TV may "support" HDR (that is, not completely bork when receiving an HDR signal), but still lack a native 10-bit display/high enough peak brightness/enough local dimming and so on, making the effect pretty neglible. However, I don't think "fake 4K" is a thing - if you feel otherwise, please do enlighten us.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/folks-beware-fake-4k-lg-tvs-2066358/

Google is your friend

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you’re looking for a cheap budget TV look no further than the TCL 6-series and/or the 2017 Vizio M-series (stay away from 2018) or the Vizio P-series.

Samsung TVs are fins but there is always a better value at all price points.

nowhat

Just because someone on a random forum has coined a term doesn't make it a thing.

The issue is pixel placement/structure - is an RGB display better than RGBW, absolutely. However, the term is inherently misleading. Is the quality inferior? Yes. But does it have 2160 vertical and 3840 horizontal pixels? That too. So it is 4K, just a very poor representation of it.

Not unlike Pentile displays on older mobile phones. There, the difference was rather noticeable at lower resolutions (the effective resolution of the display was less than the nominal one). At higher resolutions, less so. But the DPI exceeds any TV, so I'm not trying to defend RGBW displays here.

I've checked and the MU7000 (MU8000 USA) is a 10bit panel with HDR10. So I don't think this us fake HDR?

If you’re looking for a cheap budget TV look no further than the TCL 6-series and/or the 2017 Vizio M-series (stay away from 2018) or the Vizio P-series.

Samsung TVs are fins but there is always a better value at all price points.

Yeah don't get these in UK :-(

I think hdr isnt really good yet, a lot of stuff looks good one sec but the next moment it's too dark or blindingly bright.

I found a Samsung mu7000 55 inch for 370 clearance and it's fantastic for sdr. 20ms lag and it feels great

If you want hdr tho bare minimum I would get the Sony x900e. Should be a steal if u can find one.

Last edited:
Then the Sony 900F (or a discounted 900E) is a better choice.

Yeah can get 900e for £1000 but a higher lag than the Samsung and have to put up with poor android os.

Will have to have a think about it. £300 more and still just a budget set.

I think hdr isnt really good yet, a lot of stuff looks good one sec but the next moment it's too dark or blindingly bright.

I found a Samsung mu7000 55 inch for 370 clearance and it's fantastic for sdr. 20ms lag and it feels great

If you want hdr tho bare minimum I would get the Sony x900e. Should be a steal if u can find one.

That's a great price!

So are you saying HDR isn't quite good enough yet because you're using the MU7000?

SonicSleuth

Over in the gaf TV thread, a few people have purchased the new TCL Roku TV which is getting rave reviews (both from users and professional outlets). Can't vouch for it as I haven't seen it in the wild but it's a strong contender for king of budget 4Ks
I just got one of the Series 4 TCL 55" Roku TVs when I picked up a PS4 Pro.... And I love it. You can get that exact TV for $380 in the US right now (Best Buy and other dealers) and it's outstanding for that price. The 65" model runs $600, but I can't speak to that one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah can get 900e for £1000 but a higher lag than the Samsung and have to put up with poor android os.

Will have to have a think about it. £300 more and still just a budget set.

That's a great price!

So are you saying HDR isn't quite good enough yet because you're using the MU7000?
The 900E is a no brainer over the Samsung. The input lag is fine. 900E has gotten a ton of great gaming press.

Read the reviews. Not one will recommend the Samsung over the Sony.

Last edited:

The Last of Us

Neo Member
To be honest, I wouldn't buy an "HDR" tv that doesn't have a full 10-bit panel. This is just fake HDR and while it will look better than SDR, it's nowhere near the real thing.

I'd save for a KS8000 (US) or KS7000 (EU) series tv - they're widely regarded as a great gaming tv with excellent image quality and response times. Don't know where you're located, but here in Belgium, the 55 inch KS7000 doesn't cost much more than 1000.

I used to sell TVs for years. The Samsung 6000 series are NOT 4k nor do they have HDR, and yes I know what the box says. It's wrong and misleading which leads to lots of returns and unhappy customers. The 7000 series imitates 4k, again, not true 4k. The 8000 series is where it's at. Actual true 4k with great HDR. I know it's a little pricier but look for an open box or something, you wont regret it. Any associate that tells you otherwise is lying to make a sale. Dont br fooled. Go in and see the difference for yourself. And yes I'm talking about Best Buy. Also LG has some really great quality 4k units for reasonable prices. Check the reviews before you buy. I hope this helped and good luck on your future high def gaming setup!

Top Bottom