• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy ending Gamer Club Reward Zone program (Canada only, not GCU)

FrankCaron

In Canada, at least. From an email:

We are constantly evolving to bring you the best shopping experience possible. In line with this and based on member feedback, we've made the decision to retire our Reward Zone points program this year, including Reward Zone Gamers Club.

Important Info:
• You can continue earning Reward Zone points until April 4, 2018.
• Your outstanding points balance will then be converted to a final Reward Zone certificate on May 11, 2018.
• You will have six months (180 days) to redeem, with your final certificate expiring on November 07, 2018.
• Key dates and FAQs are available here.

ePMySXA.jpg

Last edited:

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
At this time the change appears to be in Canada only and will only affect the "Rewards Zone" loyalty cashback program. This appears to be entirely unrelated to their "Gamer Club Unlocked" program which provides a 20% discount on video game purchases in the US.

I just let mine expire. (in the US) It saved me a good chunk, but I don't think I'll renew. I always save as much or more simply by waiting for digital sales.

I was a bit sad with the email but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if brick and mortar best buy stores close in the next 5 years (Canada)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I seriously hope this doesn’t mean an end to GCU anytime soon — Best deals in gaming (for new stuff).

Faenix1

Considering the points got you a coupon to use in store, I found the program basically useless. (BestBuy is 45 mins or so away from me so it's hard to justify)

Codes 208

Considering the points got you a coupon to use in store, I found the program basically useless. (BestBuy is 45 mins or so away from me so it's hard to justify)
For the rewards program sure, but the GCU's 20% off any new game more than makes ups for the $30 for two years deal. Its still a step up from gamestop's $30 for a single year for pro elite status which only gives you 20% off used games

But of course i could just be contrary, i live in MN near the HQ of best buy so theres best buys everywhere up here.
Which is the same thing for target, now that i think of it...

Last edited:

Faenix1

For the rewards program sure, but the GCU's 20% off any new game more than makes ups for the $30 for two years deal. Its still a step up from gamestop's $30 for a single year for pro elite status which only gives you 20% off used games

But of course i could just be contrary, i live in MN near the HQ of best buy so theres best buys everywhere up here.
Which is the same thing for target, now that i think of it...

GCU isn't in Canada, and considering how meh amazon prime is in Canada I doubt we'll ever get it here.

jadedm17

My US Gamer's Club Unlocked is good until October 2021, saves me hundreds and close to thousands, and helps me indulge my last bad spending habit of physical game buying so I'm thankful its not me....

I'm so sorry for those in Canada effected.

WaterAstro

Reward Zone sucks anyway. They make it as hard as possible for you to know that you have rewards, and then they are already expired before you can use it.

Codes 208

The rewards system only sucks when it comes to waiting for them to be added to your account. Ive never had issues redeeming coupons (i disabled the auto reward cashout) and ive spent atleast $100 worth of points in the past year and a half.

I officially have no reason to shop at Best Buy now, aside from Boxing Day sales. I'd been a member of this program for about 10 years and it wasn't alot but the points would add up and depending on how much you'd spend you get $5, $10 and $20 reward zone certificates off your next purchase. Best Buy has been notorious for fucking up any pre-order I've ever place through them. I recently set up Amazon Prime so I'll start doing that and continue to pre-order my CE's from EB Games.

jadedm17

Reward Zone sucks anyway. They make it as hard as possible for you to know that you have rewards, and then they are already expired before you can use it.

US it's right on the website, and you can auto issue at $5/10/20 so no idea what you're on about.

The rewards system only sucks when it comes to waiting for them to be added to your account. Ive never had issues redeeming coupons (i disabled the auto reward cashout) and ive spent atleast $100 worth of points in the past year and a half.

If you're Elite ($1500/yr) they issue the $10 preorders right away. I've saved easily $1000 with GCU, though admittedly that's partially cut by the hundreds for games I wouldn't have bought otherwise. Lol

NickFire

Eeek - this sounds like a precursor to shutting down stores IMO. Tough to believe customer feedback said end the loyalty program.

Top Bottom