• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Dragon Ball / Z/ GT/ Super games?

Hydrus

Been itching for a good DB game to play. Played a bit of Zenoverse 2 and its not really my thing. My favorite games are Budokai 3 and the GBA legacy of Goku games. There have been soooo many DBZ games through the years. So which ones are considered the best? Dont care how old they are.

Justinh

I don't like Xenoverse 2 much either. I think the first game is a lot better.

I've been wondering about Fusions on the 3DS. I guess I'll have to check it out.

BigEmil

Dragonball Budokai Tenkaichi 2 overall
Dragonball Budokai 3 i think it was which had best story/world exploration etc

L Thammy

Hyper Dragonball Z.

I've heard Super Dragonball Z and Ultimate Butouden are great. Legends was cool.

Also, get Jump Ultimate Stars.

Skeeter49

Budokai 3, and it's not even close.

I hear Fusion is good. People like Budokai Tenkaichi, but I thought they were bad.

AMmrrj0.jpg

...just kidding. It's a piece of shit.

abrack08

I really liked Attack of the Saiyans, turn based RPG on DS. I think that's the closest in spirit to the Legacy of Goku games.

I never played them but I heard the Dragon Ball Origins games were good too.

bluexy

I'd never recommend any Dragon Ball Z game for anyone who isn't a big fan of Dragon Ball Z in the first place. There isn't a single one that tops out above mediocre.

But if I had to pick one, ehh, I'd probably say Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II. The RPGs were always better than the fighting games.

Dragon Ball Fusions has become my personal favorite DB game. Solid RPG with a really engaging battle system (turn-based with knockback and ring-outs and setting up angles and area attacks, it's super cool), a huge roster, and a lot of fun what-if stuff all wrapped up in a totally original storyline instead of rehashing the DBZ story. Plus your custom OC can fuse with ANYONE which is awesome, and there's lots of wacky stuff in terms of fusions. My personal favorites are probably Android 1718, Perfect 16, Ginyuza, Whirus, and the Burter/Jeice one. And Majin Hercule which is the best fusion of the best friends, such a jolly pink blob with a beard and 'fro.

Beyond that, the DS RPG Attack of the Saiyans is probably the second best DBZ game, spanning from the end of Dragonball through the end of the Saiyan Saga. Despite sounding small in scope it's a really huge game and has a better look than most of the sprite-based DBZ stuff out there.

Also a fan of Legendary Super Warriors for the GBC, but that game's not aged as well as Attack of the Saiyans.

Dragonball Fusions is my #1 pick though. Anyone who's a dragon ball fan should play it.

kunonabi

Budokai Tenkaichi 3(Wii/PS2)
Hyper Dimension(Super Famicom)
Shin Butouden(Saturn)

Pretty much the top 3 that aren't rpgs. I hear some of the GBA/DS games are really good but I never played them.

Hydrus

Budokai 3, and it's not even close.

I hear Fusion is good. People like Budokai Tenkaichi, but I thought they were bad.

Yea, Budokai 3 just set the bar so high for me back in the day, that I never really cared to play anything else.

AMmrrj0.jpg

...just kidding. It's a piece of shit.

Lol I went thru sooooo much trouble to get this when I was a kid. GT hadn't even been close to being released in the states and it was considered this legendary thing that was only rumored on the play ground. I heard about this game from rumors and saw a magazine with it and couldn't believe it was real!! This Japanese kid I knew from school somehow managed to get his hands on a copy. I don't even remember what I traded him ( I probably don't want to ) but I got my hands on it. I needed this device called a game hunter just to play it since it was Japanese. I remembered how disappointing it was. Especially because you couldn't play as SS4 Goku or Vegeta baby. It was a such a bad game. Biggest kick in the nuts ever.

NeonZ

Dragonball Fusions for the 3ds is really fun if you want a turn based RPG with a large cast of characters. It's an original story with a custom main character (who can be a human, Saiyan, Namek, generic Alien or Buu/Kai), but it features characters from through all of Z, Super up to the Trunks arc and also some GT.

Recruiting some of the higher ranked post-game characters like Z/Super Goku and Vegeta can be kind of frustrating though, and if you actually attempt to recruit everyone you can during the main story you'll ended up over-leveled for it.

As far as fighting games go, have you tried Tenkaichi 2 or 3? They're closer to Xenoverse style in some ways (back camera), but just focus on 1 vs 1 and are faster and flashier than Xenoverse. Tenkaichi 2 had the longest story mode out of any fighting games, but the presentation of the story sequences was very basic and it often reused animations for different characters in battle, something that's fixed by Tenkaichi 3.

Kieli

I'd never recommend any Dragon Ball Z game for anyone who isn't a big fan of Dragon Ball Z in the first place. There isn't a single one that tops out above mediocre.

But if I had to pick one, ehh, I'd probably say Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II. The RPGs were always better than the fighting games.

Dewd, Budokai 3 was awesome. Even for my friends who didn't really watch DBZ, they always wanted to play that when they came over.

kunonabi

I put so many hours into this. Not because I liked it; even as a kid I realized that it was so bad. But it was the only Dragonball game I had consistent access to, what else could I do.

I'll always have a soft spot for GT because I used it to waste an entire year of my brother's life. I had built a super strong Gohan that was untouchable and my brother wanted to try and build a character to take him out. I let him borrow the game for a whole year and he did nothing but play it constantly. The big day arrived and my brother, the gigantic DBZ mark that he is, decided to give me 3 free attacks. I did my three strongest ones and they did pretty much no damage. He hit me once and did like 80% of my health. I managed to get back into the air and my brother foolishly followed me up there. After a little bit of moving around I managed to get him in Gohan's infinite. 9 hours later I had won and my brother was pretty depressed for quite a bit after that.

RootCause

Shin Budokai 2, and Burst Limit. Both are limited on character selection though.
There's Extreme Butouden for DS(import).

silva1991

The Budokai Tenkaichi games on PS2 were my favorites.

Going from the many 2D games on both PS1 and 2 to 3D was mind blowing for me.

Graphics was so great(and still is) at time.

I see these three DragonBall games from last geneation as a nice single-player playthrough of that series:

Revenge of King Piccolo has a versus mode with the best Dragon Ball character selection other than Budokia Tenkaichi 3. The latter has some characters this doesn't have but Revenge of King Piccolo has its own exclusives as well young forms of characters like Yamcha, Krillin, Chaitzou and Tien.

Other Dragon Ball games I've enjoyed a feel add something unique to a collection:

Butoden series including DS a day 3DS
Hyper Dimension
Supersonic Warriors Series
Super Dragon Ball Z
Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Raging Blast 2

L Thammy

Hopefully you never played Ultimate Battle 22.

I never got the complaints about Ultimate Battle 22. Admittedly I barely played it and I did so years after the fact, but it struck me as being no clunkier than the later Butouden games (which are bad, mind you, but still less so than Final Bout). And they had the sense to have special moves be actually implemented in gameplay instead of being cinematic garbage while still giving you the defensive options.

Super Dragon Ball Z (PS2)
Attack of the Saiyans (DS)
Hyper DBZ (PC)
Infinite World (Budokai 3 expansion) (PS2)
Shin Budokai 2 (PSP)
Advanced Adventure (GBA)
Legendary Super Warriors (GBC)

iplenoid

Neo Member
I should check out some of these Dragon Ball RPGs that I've never heard of!

I've only played the Budokai games on PS2 and then Supersonic Warriors 2 on the DS.

Coming from the Budokai games, Supersonic Warriors 2 felt much snappier to me because of how quick the response/actions are in that game.

It's sort of like Marvel vs Capcom with Dragon Ball Z characters.

76ba8543b557141f6b47e9ece4ea9aa3.image.260x388.jpg

I really need to get back into Fusions. It just came out during a real bad time for me with Pokemon Sun, FFXV, and Steins Gate 0 hogging my time.

Top Bottom