• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Dragon Ball / Z/ GT/ Super games?

Oops-- it was too early for me to remember shit like that, should have just googled it. I was thinking of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans for some reason, which was originally NES and is more known for the OVA (as I'm sure you're aware).

I guess I switched the title in my head and assumed it was a remake, and I was a fan of some of the card based DB games. I'll have to check out Attack of the Saiyans either way-- Monolith Soft alone is encouraging.

Fun fact
the OVA version of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans was remade as Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans and packaged with Raging Blast 2, and the original character Hatchyack is even playable in that game.

Ferr986

67899-dragon-ball-z-shin-butoden-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

Man I always wanted this game for my Saturn as a kid (saw it in some magazines).

Instead we only got Legends...

I know everyone loves that game for some reason but the fighting system wasn't very good IMO.

The best of their respective series would have to be.

Budokai 3/Infinite World or Tenkaichi 3. Xenoverse 2 isn't that bad if you don't mind a lot of grinding. Super DBZ is probably the best fighting game if your looking more for a traditional fighter.

Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu on the SNES since it was a RPG with a card base battle system. Plus you had power levels that raises every time you leveled up. The problem I had with the game is that it was a bare bones RPG and was pretty short but the animations for the game were beastly.

Another one would be Dragon Ball Z: Legends on the PSX. One of the earlier games that kinda captured the speed of the DBZ series. Also those super attack animations were a thing of beauty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCsYYJ_gan0

People are gonna hate me for this but I also loved the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series on the PS2. The game balance was broken as hell(Super Trunks) but just like Legends, they captured the feel of the DBZ series.

Honorable mentions:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Dragon Ball Fusions
Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II
Some of the NES and Saturn DBZ games.

Kaji AF16

I still believe that Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (PS2) is the ultimate Dragon Ball game; I never really understood the critical acclaim behind the plain Budokai series. That being said...

-Super Butouden 2 (SNES) and Bu Yu Retsuden (Mega Drive) are, IMHO, the best 16-bit DBZ fighters. I consider both vastly superior to the much mentioned Hyper Dimension (which is not a bad game, but stands as comparatively simple beyond its good graphics).

-Super Saiyan Densetsu (SNES) is a very interesting game, which -as has been alredy said here- ties the characters to the relative power level they had in the Saiyan-Freeza arcs. You begin as Goku (416 Battle Power) and Piccolo (408 BP). By endgame, you should control Super Saiyan Goku, whose BP is already at 4.999.999.
An evolution of more obscure NES RPGs, I have put hundreds if not thousands of hours into that very satisfying recreation of two of the best DBZ sagas.

-I loved DBZ Legends (PS / Saturn) and emulated the crap out of it.

Fj0823

Well the only games with Super content are fusions and Xenoverse IIRC

For older sagas, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was my jam

Haano

Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22 was my favourite. It becomes ultimate battle 27 if you put in the cheat code.

dragon-ball-z-ultimate-battle-22-usa.jpg

TreIII

Super Dragon Ball Z is still one of my favorite entrants. If nobody is hollering at Arika to make their "Fighting EX Layer" game a reality, Bamco could at least let them Craft&meister come back and make sequel to this unappreciated gem that just came at the wrong time.

Fusions is also such a great love letter, too.

The combat in this game looked bad actually.

Doesn't mean I don't want to try it still though.

It's definitely not at Gundam Vs' level, but people I know who have played have said it's still fun. Plus, they do a great with making sure each Char feels unique, which is something that was rare in a Spike-dominated landscape.

Toparaman

Banned
I'm still waiting for a multi-part console action-RPG that spans Goku's journey from the very beginning to at least the Freeza arc. Now that would be dope.

saiyan_06.jpg

Best DBZ game we will never get

Game looks wild. I've seen shit like Broly picking up 2 people and slamming them into each other. I think Whis can rewind time too. I hope they get around to adding Super characters, that would be insane.

Sucks that if this game came to the west, I doubt it would review well. It being team focused and not having every DB character under the sun would turn off the average fan. It doesn't help that this is strictly a full fledged fighting game 1st.

Attack of the Saiyans was way better than it had any right to be. I wish we could have gotten more games that spanned the entire Z series.

For me it's always been Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Gameplay was solid and the cast was ridiculous. Just SO much content. I wish we could get a game like that with an updated cast. Really don't care for the Xenoverse games.

Instro

Attack of the Saiyans was way better than it had any right to be. I wish we could have gotten more games that spanned the entire Z series.

For me it's always been Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Gameplay was solid and the cast was ridiculous. Just SO much content. I wish we could get a game like that with an updated cast. Really don't care for the Xenoverse games.

Seriously, Monolith did a solid job on that game all things considered. I wish we had gotten more. I also really like the card based SNES RPG, Legend of the Super Saiyan. Either way I'd really like a new RPG series of some kind.

Supast4r

Been itching for a good DB game to play. Played a bit of Zenoverse 2 and its not really my thing. My favorite games are Budokai 3 and the GBA legacy of Goku games. There have been soooo many DBZ games through the years. So which ones are considered the best? Dont care how old they are.
Dragon ball origins series for the Nintendo days is superb

@MUWANdo

Banned
Super Saiya Densetsu really isn't very good but it's busted in fun ways: you can abuse zenkai to massively increase Goku's power during the Raditz battle, bring the Z-Fighters to Namek, have Piccolo absorb any and all Namekians, exploit Ginyu's body-swap move to get a Ginyu in your party and use him to trap Frieza in a crappy fighter's body, etc.

Not many people like it, but I LOVED the Dragon Rush mechanic in Boudkai 3. It really felt like I was simulating the show. Burst Limit was by far the biggest disappointment in a Dragonball game ever. Last generation as a whole were kinda sucked for DB games. What made matters worse was the rumor of a Tenkaichi 3 sequel called Dragonball Omega which turned out to be false.

I would love a Dragonball game that had the roster, moves, transformations and attention to detail of T3. The cinematics and artstyle of Boudkai 3, the gameplay and online structure of XenoVerse 2 and the story like Heroes.

Building off the T3 roster, I'd add

GT

Ledgic
Rildo
Ludd
Shadows Dragons

DB

Kid Krillin
General Blck

Movies

Henchmen from movies 1,2,3 &4

Super

Beerus
Whis
Golden Frieza
Tagoma
Cabba
Frost
Magetta
Hit
Botamo
Champa
Vados
Goku Black (Rose)
Zamas
BlackMas

Aru

I never played any OG Dragon Ball games, but for DBZ/GT, my favorites are, in order (only 1 entry per series):
- Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (PS2 or Wii) -> The Best DBZ Simulator I've ever played. Japanese version is better thanks to the anime OST
- Shin Budokai (PSP) -> Faster paced and doesn't have the Dragon Rush bullshit from B3
- Super Butouden 2 (SNES)
- Legacy of Goku 2 (GBA)

I'd say avoid those games:
- Legacy of Goku 1: too short, frustrating and no fun at all. I was amazed at how good the sequel is considering how bad the original game is.
- Final Bout: Too slow to be enjoyable. Great soundtrack though.
- Ultimate Battle 22: Just mediocre, there are way better games than this.

Also, never understood why people love DBZ Legends so much. When I finally got the chance to play it, found it boring since you don't have real combos (only "connect" attacks) and super moves require you to fill a bar shared with your opponents.

That Dragoball platformer game released on the Wii was legit. OG Dragonball is tailor made for a platforming adventure full of weird bosses and varied locations. The GBA platformers were good too.

That being said, GT works pretty good as a scrolling beat em up too, based off the structure of GT. Transformations wasn't half bad at all.

Also, never understood why people love DBZ Legends so much. When I finally got the chance to play it, found it boring since you don't have real combos (only "connect" attacks) and super moves require you to fill a bar shared with your opponents.

Cause the connect attack combos actually feels like proper dbz fighting, with the teleports and all.

Then you add the dodging it was basic but faithful.
https://youtu.be/SOOoXY3jY_E

Dereck

Japanese version is better thanks to the anime OST
Yes

btw the Budokai Tenkaichi 2 American soundtrack is flames but shame it never got a proper release. The audio rip from the game is subpar quality for whatever reason

Red Fire

Yes

btw the Budokai Tenkaichi 2 American soundtrack is flames but shame it never got a proper release. The audio rip from the game is subpar quality for whatever reason

This so much. Tenkaichi 3's soundtrack was a huge disappointment after 2. I listen to the tenkaichi 2 OST regularly, so good. The quality is poor though :(

Who did the soundtrack btw? Do they have more projects?

Top Bottom