• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Dragon Ball / Z/ GT/ Super games?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Advanced adventure on gba is great.

fYFMAsm.jpg
This game is fantastic. It had a sequel on Wii which is awful IMO. OP already played Legacy of Goku, so I have nothing to add, only my opinion that all the other games range from mediocre to terrible... (haven't played Xenoverse though).

Wait! Attack of the Saiyans is great too, although it covers only the saiyan arc, not even Freeza.

Budokai 3 is my personal favorite, but I also enjoyed Burst Limit (aside from the quote things slowing down battles) and Raging Blast 2. I haven't really gotten into any other DBZ games besides those.

Also, Hyper Dimension on SNES was awesome to play back in the day before I knew who a lot of those characters were.

swimbuff

I played the shit out of Dragon Ball Z Buyuu Retsuden on the Genesis as a kid. It may not hold up so great anymore these days but even now I'd still play it over any of the latter-day DB games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj1m73UaOgE

Especially because you couldn't play as SS4 Goku or Vegeta baby. It was a such a bad game. Biggest kick in the nuts ever.

You could totally play as SS4 Goku. Doesn't change the fact that the game is bad unfortunately.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
SNES - Super Butoden

GBA - Legacy of Goku 1/2 + Buu's Fury

PS2 - DBZ Budokai 1-3 + Tekaichi Budokai 1-3

PS3/360 Burst Limit

Malajax

There was a GT game on the PS1? I thought GT didn't air until the mid or late 2000s.

GT didn't start airing in America until 2004ish. GT in Japan had been over almost a decade prior, in 1997. That game only got released in America because we just started airing DBZ around that time. Playing it during that time, had no idea who any of the characters were outside of Goku, Vegeta, Gohan and Trunks and completely baffled at all the yellow hair.

Game is still shit tho.

Try out Super Dragon Ball Z. It's something different and never caught on here.

Quarter-Circles right?

It's still crazy to me adult Chi-Chi is only playable in that game.

latest

And is kid Chi-Chi only playable in Budokai Tenkaichi 3?

5877620071001_164412_10_big.jpg
I mean Tenkaichi 3 had head scratchers like Frieza's Soldier and not character like kid Krillin or adult Chi-Chi. Who gets out of bed and go "Today I'm going to play as Cui"?

Syril

There was a GT game on the PS1? I thought GT didn't air until the mid or late 2000s.

It aired in Japan in 1996. I'm not sure what possessed them to localize a GT game at the point in the broadcast where our heroes were preparing for the journey to the mysterious planet Namek. I imagine it must have been very confusing for anyone who picked it up. Not to mention it having a completely separate English dub used only for this game. It's kind of funny to look at it now. If you were ever curious what Goku would sound like if he was played by Steve Blum or things like that.

L Thammy

I mean Tenkaichi 3 had head scratchers like Frieza's Soldier and not character like kid Krillin or adult Chi-Chi. Who gets out of bed and go "Today I'm going to play as Cui"?

look, okay, cui just happens to be my favourite character
i have written several fanfics about how the timelines would have went if cui had survived
including both evil cui surviving and cui turning good
i don't see how that's weird

fuck appule fans though

look, okay, cui just happens to be my favourite character
i have written several fanfics about how the timelines would have went if cui had survived
including both evil cui surviving and cui turning good
i don't see how that's weird
You should write what if scenarios for the games because that sounds kinda similar to one of the best what ifs in Tenkaichi 2: Raditz turning good

It was Raditz or Zarbon. I don't remember.
Maybe both?

TWILT

Banned
Still have a fond attachment to Legacy of Goku 2. The first one was...pretty bad, but damn, I was still kind of in shock how much better the sequel was. Covered my favorite Sagas in DBZ.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

wat. Even back then in the 90s, it was pretty obvious if you were online that there was content America didn't have yet.

Final bout was my first Dragonball game and i have fond memories of it, could not play it now though.

I remember going to funcoland(lol) and trying to find it time and again only to be told it was like 150 bucks behind the counter cause it was so rare

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It aired in Japan in 1996. I'm not sure what possessed them to localize a GT game at the point in the broadcast where our heroes were preparing for the journey to the mysterious planet Namek. I imagine it must have been very confusing for anyone who picked it up. Not to mention it having a completely separate English dub used only for this game. It's kind of funny to look at it now. If you were ever curious what Goku would sound like if he was played by Steve Blum or things like that.
Wow, those Piccolo and Goku voices are actually really good

VDenter

Banned
I hate the falcouner tracks but i have to admit Legacy of Goku 2 for GBA was great. Just avoid playing the first game at all costs.

suberzat

Yeah I am going to have to also agree with Hyper Dimension being a good DBZ game worth checking out.

I need to grab a copy of Fusion to play

Nightbird

Dragon-Ball-Fusions-2.jpg

This game dethroned Budokai Tenkaichi 3, as well the GBA game from my top spot.

It's a bit unusual since no other DragonBall game has gameplay like this, but Lord, I've never seen a better love letter to the DragonBall franchise than this.

Dark_castle

dragon-ballzj8uiy.png

Super Saiya Densetsu for SNES is my personal favorite. Card-based RPG that covers Raditz to end of Namek. Also the only DBZ RPG in existence that has power level tied to character level.

Tenshin

Tenkaichi 3 / sparking meteor (because of orig. Ssoundtrack) it has almost all char you can think of. And the most dragonball feel combat.

Lol I went thru sooooo much trouble to get this when I was a kid. GT hadn't even been close to being released in the states and it was considered this legendary thing that was only rumored on the play ground. I heard about this game from rumors and saw a magazine with it and couldn't believe it was real!! This Japanese kid I knew from school somehow managed to get his hands on a copy. I don't even remember what I traded him ( I probably don't want to ) but I got my hands on it. I needed this device called a game hunter just to play it since it was Japanese. I remembered how disappointing it was. Especially because you couldn't play as SS4 Goku or Vegeta baby. It was a such a bad game. Biggest kick in the nuts ever.
Ummm, you can play as ss4 goku...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ummm, you can play as ss4 goku...

Yeah he had a summersault kick or something that was probably the most useful move in the game.
hqdefault.jpg

I had Legends and Final Bout on PS1. Used the knock off game shark device to play it. Funny thing was, mom and pop game store here in town use to have multiple copies of the import. It was a very long time before it came to the US. I remember seeing it at Best Buy thinking how amazed I was seeing a DBZ game for PS1.

I enjoyed the PS2 titles, 3 was probably my favorite. The game board world was fun.

I have Battle of Z on Vita and it feels like an arcade game, so I wouldn't say it's the best. I don't know whatever happened to the Dragonball MMO that was out at one point in time.

I also have Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden, which is ok. I mean, it's not 100% like the fan made fighting game Hyper Dragon Ball Z, which we should have had something like this by now.

Mory Dunz

I always see this suggested and not one person has ever mentioned why it's good. Visuals aside it's a slow paced derivative fighter that doesn't feel like DBZ at all.

all it has is graphics. And I guess stage transitions? Game is garbage.

One of the funniest things to me is that Tenkaichi 2 introduced the first form of Baby Vegeta, but GT Vegeta wasn't in the game even though they could just recolor him and give him the same melee combos or take them from another Vegeta. Then comes Tenkaichi 3 and they still don't put him in the game.

dlauv

Xenoverse 1,
Budokai 1/3,
Tenkaichi 2/3,
Super Butoden 2/3,
Hyper Dimension,
Super Dragon Ball Z,
Infinite World

I heard Shin Butoden on the Saturn was good.

idk anything about the portables though.

jadjei

Budokai Tenkaichi 3

But good luck finding it at a decent price lmao

*Sigh* I used to have the game. Let my friend borrow it. They moved, never say that game again. It was my first DBZ fighting game..... T_T

EDIT: I wanted to buy the game again but looks like it's not possible now lol.

mrmickfran

*Sigh* I used to have the game. Let my friend borrow it. They moved, never say that game again. It was my first DBZ fighting game..... T_T
Had it since launch in 07. I don't even play it anymore but I can't part with it. That's my childhood ;_;

Yeah, Amazon has it for like $75 lmao

I don't really know what to add that this thread brought but yeah Budokai 3 Fusions are great games, but attack of the saiyans is great, even if the game will never get a sequel and it was even developed by Monolith.

jadjei

Had it since launch in 07. I don't even play it anymore but I can't part with it. That's my childhood ;_;

I got it on the 07 launch too, it was my first PS2 lol. Cherish the game, don't take it for granted like I did ( well technically my friends did).

EDIT: $75 😐. I would pay $40 plus tax (price at launch)for it, because my older brother bought the game for me. Lol guess I'm not getting the game again.

I always see this suggested and not one person has ever mentioned why it's good. Visuals aside it's a slow paced derivative fighter that doesn't feel like DBZ at all.

Incredible depth, very good fighting system akin to street fighter, sprites are incredibly well detailed, most attacks are taken straight from manga panels, really cool ki system... could go on and on.

all it has is graphics. And I guess stage transitions? Game is garbage.

I already responded to your similar replies a couple weeks ago, "not one person ever mentioned why it's good" lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233579776&postcount=54

Zalman

Raging Blast 2 is the closest thing to Tenkaichi 3 in HD. Sure, the single player content sucks, but the gameplay is fantastic. If you're just looking for a game where you can pick up and play a few matches, RB2 is great.

Budokai 3 is still the king of Dragon Ball games though, of course.

Varna

Missed your post in the other thread Helacious.

The links you posted certainly make a case for it being a competent fighter. I still don't think it really captures the feel. Maybe the technology just wasn't there (though I would argue it could still be done... see the NES/SNES card games) but it moves at such a dull pace. I don't consider Xenoverse anything more then OK at best but the way it moves and feels is perfect.

I had a similar feeling with PS2 Super Dragon Ball Z.

Top Bottom