• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Dragon Ball / Z/ GT/ Super games?

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on PS2 is still the undisputed king.

Raging Blast 1 & 2 on PS3 are good too: Play 1 for its story mode/cartoony visuals more like the show, and play 2 for its bigger roster/slightly more balanced combat.

The Xenoverse games are pretty lackluster: their biggest "gimmick" are the team battles, but those were already done well in Tenkaichi Tag Team on PSP (another good one worth checking out).

The Tenkaichi games overall do an infinitely better job at capturing the spirit of the show.

notaskwid

One of the funniest things to me is that Tenkaichi 2 introduced the first form of Baby Vegeta, but GT Vegeta wasn't in the game even though they could just recolor him and give him the same melee combos or take them from another Vegeta. Then comes Tenkaichi 3 and they still don't put him in the game.
But you could play as SSJ4 Vegeta in Budokai Tenkaichi 3, or am I misremembering.
I don't remember using him, I played a lot of that mode where you create a team with limited points and would always go something like Ultimate Gohan/Vegito/Broly, Tapion or Teen Gohan.

Hyper Dimension for Super Famicom

VWa5d5z.jpg

This game had some great finishing moves.

I remember the frustration figuring out the throw move by Gotenks.

ITT people who didn't play infinite world, basically the best budokai type game(not including tenkaichi's - wasn't fan of those) , but was released on ps2 after ps3 release so it didn't get as much recognition.

A lot of people mentioning Attack of the Saiyans here. Anyone know if the DS version has any improvements or differences from the SNES version?

A lot of people mentioning Attack of the Saiyans here. Anyone know if the DS version has any improvements or differences from the SNES version?

Attack of the Saiyans is a completely original game.
It's also made by Monolith Soft, it'd be crazy if they ever did a 3D Dragon Ball RPG.

Budokai 3 is the pinnacle of the series. I don't know why they never did another game like that and instead keep doing Tenkaichi-style games.

I didn't know about Hyper Dragon Ball, that's amazing dedication!

Back in the day I had, and played the shit out of with friends, the SNES fighting games, but I very much doubt they're worth playing now.

MetalSlug

I really enjoyed:

• Dragonball Z : The Legacy of Goku II
  • Dragonball Z Budokai 3
  • Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
  • Dragonball Raging Blast 2
  • Dragonball Z Supersonic Warriors

NeonZ

Budokai 3 is the pinnacle of the series. I don't know why they never did another game like that and instead keep doing Tenkaichi-style games.

Different developers. And after Budokai 3, from the Budokai team, there was still Dragonball Z Infinite World, which was basically a Budokai 4. There was Dragonball Z Burst Limit too, which was a reboot of sorts, but it's generally seen as flawed.

Red Fire

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 by far

Never got the love for the Budokai games, i bought Budokai 2 from a friend and it's... garbage. Budokai 3 doesn't look any different to me.

Tenkaichi is a whole nother level.

Ricky 7

Budokai 3 is the Best DB game. It's the only DB game that handles transformations properly and not make them separate characters. 😒 Since you've already played it the other decent games I've played are Hyper Dimension, Super Dragon Ball Z or Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Budokai 3 is the Best DB game.It's the only DB game that handles transformations properly and not make them separate characters. �� Since you've already played it the other decent games I've played are Hyper Dimension, Super Dragon Ball Z or Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

You can transform in all of the Budokai games, as well as the Tenkaichi games, Burst Limit, Raging Blast games, and Xenoverse games.

BT3 set the standards so high even as a PS2 game, so much that every other DB fighting game has been a let down since. It had it all. Roster, transformations, moves and crazy attention to detail that real hardcore will notice. Love this game so much.

Kyari

dragon-ballzj8uiy.png

Super Saiya Densetsu for SNES is my personal favorite. Card-based RPG that covers Raditz to end of Namek. Also the only DBZ RPG in existence that has power level tied to character level.

I love this game and wish they had done more on the SNES (I know its a remake of NES games)

mcmmaster

Definitely the underrated fighter Super Dragon Ball Z on PS2/Arcade systems. The game had great depth and complexity to the fighting system and an amazing soundtrack by Super Sweep, the godlike composers from the Street Fighter EX series.

Here's some high level Japanese play for those unaware of how fun and technical this game can get.

Dereck

I remember Budokai Tenkaichi 3 looking suspiciously like the show so seamlessly now that I realize it.

Really want a re-release with a proper online matchmaking system I would probably still be playing it today.

hSCyO6E.gif

zhW6yRA.gif

Iw09sjw.gif

TKAMof9.gif

Piers

People who played Budokai 3 owe themselves to play Infinite World. It's a better version of B3 imo. (Minus the intro, theme tune, and I think unique transformation animations are gone)

For overall gameplay I'd say Xenoverse 2. It really improved on the fighting mechanics of the previous game and feels like a sharper, 60fps version of Budokai Tenkaichi. It does lack the flashiness of that game but then a lot of Rush attacks were just cutscenes.
It's also in-depth, I'd say. Some of the intricate combos you can do are very cool.

Alric

I seem to be the minority but I found the best and my favorite DBZ games to be the PSP ones.

Dragon Ball Shin Z Budokai Another Road

It had the fastest Budokai style combat with non of the downtime fluff and waiting on long animations like in Budokai 3. Fast dashes, cancels, and special were all in real-time.

155804-Dragon_Ball_Z_-_Shin_Budokai_(USA)-2.png

Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi Tag Team

This one was my favorite Tenkaichi type game along with beam struggles and something none of the other DBZ games did, allowed you to have an AI partner that you could fuse with. Obviously only worked with character that could fuse but I found it's 2 v 2 the most fun.

dragon_ball_z_tenkaichi_tag_team-1368548.jpg

Alienous

Tenkaichi 3 or Raging Blast 1

I never got around to playing much of Burst Limit (which followed the Budokai 3 and Shin Budokai gameplay format).

Raging Blast 2 I played a little of ... the art-direction, compared to Raging Blast 1, is plainly inferior. And aside from that I'm not sure they added much besides characters.

Krammy

Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension (Super Nintendo)

tumblr_inline_o5hku4YF1R1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_o5krwmZfZA1ri065t_500.gif

The game is a slow fighter, similar to others like Street Fighter II, although not even close to being as technical. Despite that, it has REALLY GOOD game feel. Hits feel incredible and it's a delight to pull off combos. The story mode is pretty fun as well and goes through the essential battles (although limited by it's roster), but I have the best time when I sit down and play it with a friend.

Thanks to the SA-1 chip, the graphics are top-tier for the Super Nintendo and the same can be said about the audio. The game features an interesting design that's unique to it, similar to how Super Dragon Ball Z tried to go with a manga-style. There was also an amazing re-translation released back in 2010 that fixes a ton of things and is the definitive way to play if you're an English speaker.

It's the only Dragon Ball Z game I still play on a regular basis and I hold it in high regard among games like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 and Super Dragon Ball Z.

EDIT: Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure (Game Boy Advance) as well. It can't be understated how good this game is, and how much replay value it has.

tumblr_inline_o5d71y3wYa1ri065t_500.gif

Revven

I remember Budokai Tenkaichi 3 looking suspiciously like the show so seamlessly now that I realize it.

Really want a re-release with a proper online matchmaking system I would probably still be playing it today.

They really need to do a PS2 on PS4 release of it if they're not going to do an HD remaster of it.

That aside, barely anyone is mentioning Infinite World on the PS2. It's understandable because of how late it came out but it is basically the better version of Budokai 3. OP, if you haven't played IW yet you really should. It's Budokai 3 with a story mode more like Budokai 1 (with added mini-games of variance entertainment, mainly the free-roaming mini-games are pretty unfun).

The only negative IW has content-wise is the removal of some characters that Budokai 3 had (Uub, Supreme Kai, Kid Goku from Dragon Ball, and one other that escapes me right now) in exchange for more GT characters such as GT Vegeta, GT Kid Goku (who can go SS4) Super Baby Vegeta, Super Android 17 and then more movie characters such as Super Janemba and Pikkon.

They even added a bunch of new super moves (for instance, Nappa got a command grab as a super attack), added mechanics from the Shin Budokai games (gut punch, 3D dashing), characters that didn't have ultimates before now get one (such as Raditz getting a souped up version of Saturday Crash), Dragon Rush removed (and any ultimates that were tied to it either became a new super move or a new ultimate), Hyper Mode removed (you only need Ki to activate ultimates, as it should be), and overall just quality of life improvements; making it the definitive Budokai 3.

Of course, if you don't care for the characters they added and you cared more for the ones they removed then I could see why IW might not be your cup of tea. Or, if you somehow enjoyed the Dragon Rush RPS... nonsense...

The only downside IW has gameplay-wise is how the fatigue system works compared to Budokai 3. You end up getting tired/stunned/dizzied more quickly than you do in Budokai 3; especially because of the new capsule system in the game (you can buy upgraded versions of ultimates up to level 5). For instance, if you get Special Beam Cannon for Piccolo all the way to the level 5 capsule it will not only go through guards like it usually does but if it hits it will instantly make your fatigue bar filled and make the opponent tired/dizzy.

It's still much better than Budokai 3 imo. They also added more costumes for characters, too iirc. Again, IW could really benefit from a PS2 on PS4 release as well.

Oh and you should at least check out Raging Blast 1. It has a probably the most complete story mode of the "recently" released Dragon Ball Z games.

Hydrus

For those of you that are interested, The studio that made the Legacy of Goku games were thinking about either remaking them or making Legacy of Goku 4. They haven't given an update in awhile, but maybe we can get a bunch of people to convince them to make it happen!

Hit them up on Facebook or any other Social media!!

https://www.facebook.com/WebfootGames/

A couple concept graphics are coming today (Chicago time). This is what we're thinking... it will be possible for supporters to vote on multiple aspects of LOG 4. The RPG game(s) we end up making will depend on the level of funding reached. Examples are:

* Simply re-make LOG 1, 2 and 3 on modern hardware
* and/or create LOG 4, the next in the series after Buu's Fury
* Create LOG 1, 2, 3 and 4 as a single large game
* Use a 2D pixel art style as in the original games
* Use an updated 2D art style
* Use a 3D engine to make the RPG in a more modern style
* Which platforms will be supported - PC/MAC/Android are preferable, but iOS, 3DS, Wii-U and/or others are possible
* VR anyone? HTC Vive or Google Daydream?

Today's concept art will show some *possible* game mockups and some hi-res character design (assuming a full blown 3D RPG game). These graphics do not represent anything other than concepts, the actual game is not yet in development. The graphics also represent our artists just having fun.

We invite fans to submit their own mockups, and it's possible if your artwork fits the style chosen by the backers, we may ask you to contribute to the actual game.

Finally, thank you for all the interest. It's very exciting to see there is a fan base who loves the games. We've been dreaming of an opportunity to fix the problems in LOG 1, the balancing issues in LOG2 and LOG3 (and we'll talk about why that happened throughout the process) and/or finish the series.

Please help spread the word, this game will only be possible with fan support. Thanks again!

Heres some ideas they were throwing around:

15400462_10154648672362936_9112135700681504542_n.jpg

15068987_10154571743607936_7156818230313401203_o.png

15016170_10154571743682936_1604767386737106067_o.png

COME ON DBZ GAF!!!! LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!! SPREAD IT EVERYWHERE!!!!

baberunisei

I seem to be the minority but I found the best and my favorite DBZ games to be the PSP ones.

Dragon Ball Shin Z Budokai Another Road

It had the fastest Budokai style combat with non of the downtime fluff and waiting on long animations like in Budokai 3. Fast dashes, cancels, and special were all in real-time.

155804-Dragon_Ball_Z_-_Shin_Budokai_(USA)-2.png

Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi Tag Team

This one was my favorite Tenkaichi type game along with beam struggles and something none of the other DBZ games did, allowed you to have an AI partner that you could fuse with. Obviously only worked with character that could fuse but I found it's 2 v 2 the most fun.

dragon_ball_z_tenkaichi_tag_team-1368548.jpg

Never played tag team, but I second what you said about another road. Best dbz game by a mile. Improves Budokai 3 in every aspect.

Attack of the Saiyans is a completely original game.
It's also made by Monolith Soft, it'd be crazy if they ever did a 3D Dragon Ball RPG.

Oops-- it was too early for me to remember shit like that, should have just googled it. I was thinking of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans for some reason, which was originally NES and is more known for the OVA (as I'm sure you're aware).

I guess I switched the title in my head and assumed it was a remake, and I was a fan of some of the card based DB games. I'll have to check out Attack of the Saiyans either way-- Monolith Soft alone is encouraging.

pizzacat

Banned
There's this one dbz game for the gab that had amazing city music but I've never been able to find that track online cuz I don't know which game it was lol

Top Bottom