• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fight scene in a movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flozuki

NCK4A5V.gif

EdIT: I beat your Edit bronco

I also agree with everything that has been listed (with the exception of OP :p )

Jackie Chan vs His bodyguard in Drunken Master 2:

H7LgxV.gif

vfQo0M8.gif

This is up there.

Who Am I deserves to be mentioned. Classic Jackie, but the taekwondo guy is amazing too

tumblr_n68puvlLcd1rdsiguo3_400.gif

tumblr_n68puvlLcd1rdsiguo1_400.gif

Loved that Who am I scene so much that I had to check out the building when I was in Rotterdam along with other buildings that were prominent in the movie^^

My favorites along with many other scenes by Jackie. But in general so much awesome stuff in this thread =)

Edgar Wright is the secret best action movie director. I would straight up love him to direct a crazy zany Jackie Chan martial arts flick one day. That or him and Stephen Chow team up. Speaking of Stephen Chow, all of Kung Fu Hustle.

4xNwuD9.gif

Edgar Wright is a new god for sure but a lot of his inspiration came from the Jackie Chan films when you're talking Scott Pilgrim or especially World's End.

Man it would have been the dream if he teamed up with Jackie years ago while the dude was still ready to go.

highrider

Banned
There's only 1 correct answer to this question and his name is Jackie Chan.
The correct question would be ''Which Jackie Chan scene is the best fight scene of all time ?''. Now that's a tough question. I'm torn between the final fight scene of Legend of the drunken master or Wheels on meals.Probably the final fight scene vs his bodyguard. The choreography was legendary on that one.

I love love love Jet, Donnie, Bruce. But Jackie made fighting a work of art. It's not 1 hit and boom it's over.Or when you see 10 bad guys and they attack the hero 1 at a time or when the hero barely gets roughed up.The fight scenes in itself are masterfully put together. I doubt we will ever see such high quality choreography ever again. When I watch a Jet, Donnie, Bruce fight scene I am mesmerized. When I watch a certain Jackie fight scene such as the police story playground scene with the metal bats or vs Benny the Jet in wheels or vs his bodyguard in DM2 I am mindblown at what I am seeing. It's fight scenes elevated to the highest level with a combination of acrobatics, choreography, timing, tension, stunt work etc.

I am also shocked whenever a thread like this comes up and the examples are from Hollywood. Like really ? Come on now.

It's a performance though. Personally I prefer fights that are more based in the real world. I appreciate all of the acrobatics and choreography in more performance based fight scenes, but it isn't going to be the best to everyone.

Edgar Wright is a new god for sure but a lot of his inspiration came from the Jackie Chan films when you're talking Scott Pilgrim or especially World's End.

Man it would have been the dream if he teamed up with Jackie years ago while the dude was still ready to go.

From Scott Pilgrim on Edgar Wright started working with Bradley Allan as his stunt co-ordinator, who was actually a member of Jackie Chan's stunt team. You see him all over the place in Jackie's late '90s movies, like Who Am I? and Mr Nice Guy, and he's the main opponent in Gorgeous.

Bishop89

z9sJzf3.gif

Spidey vs Doc Oct

tumblr_mjz5a55yPO1rg0lgoo1_500.gif

QuiObi vs Maul

VJHaw-.gif

Luke vs Vader

tumblr_o30rakCcM71v7q7zgo1_500.gif

Obi Vs Anakin

500full.jpg

Achilles vs Hector

giphy.gif

Bride vs Crazy 88

tumblr_mkee37B5O81qbtzbno1_500.gif

Chateau fight

6a0133f264aa62970b01b7c6cb260d970b-pi

Neo vs Morpheus

tumblr_nbazbiCvZu1tdo66yo1_400.gif

Punisher vs Russian

BbtmjX.gif

Rocky vs Drago

2mvdCP.gif

Liu Kang vs Reptile

vexHw0.gif

Liu Kang vs Sub Zero

-S2-E1.gif

Johnny Cage vs Scorpion

giphy.gif

Bloodsport final fight
tumblr_o6bj1ySjuM1t161kxo2_500.gif

And i very much enjoy the City Hunter SF fight.

There's only 1 correct answer to this question and his name is Jackie Chan.
The correct question would be ''Which Jackie Chan scene is the best fight scene of all time ?''. Now that's a tough question. I'm torn between the final fight scene of Legend of the drunken master or Wheels on meals.Probably the final fight scene vs his bodyguard. The choreography was legendary on that on
I love love love Jet, Donnie, Bruce. But Jackie made fighting a work of art. It's not 1 hit and boom it's over.Or when you see 10 bad guys and they attack the hero 1 at a time or when the hero barely gets roughed up.The fight scenes in itself are masterfully put together. I doubt we will ever see such high quality choreography ever again. When I watch a Jet, Donnie, Bruce fight scene I am mesmerized. When I watch a certain Jackie fight scene such as the police story playground scene with the metal bats or vs Benny the Jet in wheels or vs his bodyguard in DM2 I am mindblown at what I am seeing. It's fight scenes elevated to the highest level with a combination of acrobatics, choreography, timing, tension, stunt work etc.

I am also shocked whenever a thread like this comes up and the examples are from Hollywood. Like really ? Come on now.

This whole post is beautiful, I couldn't agree more.

You still never see multi-person choreography in fight scenes. At best they'll do two-on-one fights with a bit of tag-teaming, but nothing on the level of what Jackie used to do in almost every single fight he choreographed. His fights were not only beautiful and electric to watch, but just unbelievable from a complexity and creativity standpoint. I don't know how people can be so enamoured with that Donnie Yen vs. 10 blackbelts fight, for example, when it's just nine guys waving their arms around in the background while Donnie punches them one at a time.

And some of the physical feats Jackie pulled off? That man just makes my jaw drop. How does he even do that stuff? Hell, a simple kip up is impressive enough, but Jackie would leap back onto his shoulders and then kip up just as one move in a fight, while three guys were attacking him. And this?

9u286I4.gif

I could watch that loop all day. Also, the playground fight in Police Story 2 might be my absolute favourite ever. Specifically this right here:

tumblr_oevt6lexyF1udlkano1_400.gif

[Brofist to both of you]

Where the hell did you get such a clean gif of Police Story 2 Playground scene?
I couldn't tell you how many bad quality gifs I've gone thru trying to find that exact scene.

EDIT: LOL I see the URL now. Got hypnotized by the work of art

From Scott Pilgrim on Edgar Wright started working with Bradley Allan as his stunt co-ordinator, who was actually a member of Jackie Chan's stunt team. You see him all over the place in Jackie's late '90s movies, like Who Am I? and Mr Nice Guy, and he's the main opponent in Gorgeous.

Yup. Bradley Allan is the real secret reason why Edgar Wright's action scenes are so good.

He's also behind the church scene in Kingsman that many have quoted here.

Jackie Chan's influence is everywhere, even when we don't specifically see it (seriously, look up Bradley Allan's credits; he even helped choreograph the fight scenes in Pacific Rim). The impact of Jackie Chan and his stunt team is unrivaled in the world of action cinema.

edit -

As great as the ending of Sword of Doom is, it's a shame we never got to see Nakadai and Mifune fight in that film (or one of its proposed sequels). Would have been legendary.

You may have seen it, but just to throw it out there, Nakadai and Mifune face off in the climax of Samurai Rebellion. Some people have mentioned Harakiri already (from the same director) so I figure it deserves a mention here.

You may have seen it, but just to throw it out there, Nakadai and Mifune face off in the climax of Samurai Rebellion. Some people have mentioned Harakiri already (from the same director) so I figure it deserves a mention here.

Yeah Samurai Rebellion is really great too. But the fight scenes and Nakadai and Mifune's beastly characters in Sword of Doom would have made for an insane fight.

Man sometimes I forget how amazing prime Jackie fights were.

You almost need gifs to really appreciate his movies because everything moves so fast and there's so much going on in each frame that you gotta watch each shot like 5 or 6 times to really comprehend just how fucking nuts the athleticism and choreography is.

Bulk_Rate

I love that fight for how messy and brutal it is. Rumor is the actors had a grudge and took some of it out on camera.

Yeah both of those guys project an actual tough guy vibe in the sense that I don't think it was a facade. Smith was so goddamn scary, like Eastwood's roided-out crazy brother or something.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I loved this movie but felt uncomfortable watching it since the VA Tech shooting.

That's odd, why?

Edit: Just looked this up and its because the shooter had a picture with a hammer and is asian. That seems like reaching to impress Stretch Armstrong.

You almost need gifs to really appreciate his movies because everything moves so fast and there's so much going on in each frame that you gotta watch each shot like 5 or 6 times to really comprehend just how fucking nuts the athleticism and choreography is.

Definitely. The attention to detail is insane. The raid kitchen fight scene is incredible but really feels sloppy in comparison to Jackie's stuff.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Definitely. The attention to detail is insane. The raid kitchen fight scene is incredible but really feels sloppy in comparison to Jackie's stuff.

Because today even asian film makers, stunt men, etc. aren't as willing to nearly kill themselves to make a movie. Also not sure what you mean by sloppy as everything about that fight was very well done from the camerawork, the escalating musical score, the action itself, and so on.

For my money, the best action director is Sammo Hung. His action scenes are so crisp and sharp, he's a master of showing you the whole geometry of a scene so that everything is always clear. There's sometimes an almost fighting game quality to the way that he frames certain shots, where you see the whole body of both fighters, which just makes the action so much more satisfying.

A few favorites:

Eastern Condors, the whole final fight sequence at the end, culminating in the big duel between Hunh, Yuen Biao, and Yuen Wah

tumblr_n2prz2OBH11r21i5xo1_400.gif

Millionaires Express
(sic)

tumblr_mkqoii2Ozq1rdsiguo2_400.gif

Encounters of the Spooky Kind

tumblr_mizr7sA8yE1rdsiguo7_400.gif

Pedicab Driver

tumblr_mjv8no2lWK1rdsiguo5_400.gif

LordKasual

Banned
Dunno about "Best"...

But that fight scene in the Matrix Reloaded when Neo fights like 6 guys with the weapons, that was amazing

And I have been very impressed with how Marvel has handled Captain America lately. They do such a brilliant job of having him essentially fight melee, but capture the force of an industrial machine in all of his blows and moves.

Dunno about "Best"...

But that fight scene in the Matrix Reloaded when Neo fights like 6 guys with the weapons, that was amazing

And I have been very impressed with how Marvel has handled Captain America lately. They do such a brilliant job of having him essentially fight melee, but capture the force of an industrial machine in all of his blows and moves.

Yep, that's my favorite thing about how he, WS and Crossbones fight in Civil War/TWS. Just knocking the shit out of everybody.

For my money, the best action director is Sammo Hung. His action scenes are so crisp and sharp, he's a master of showing you the whole geometry of a scene so that everything is always clear. There's sometimes an almost fighting game quality to the way that he frames certain shots, where you see the whole body of both fighters, which just makes the action so much more satisfying.

A few favorites:

Eastern Condors, the whole final fight sequence at the end, culminating in the big duel between Hunh, Yuen Biao, and Yuen Wah

Millionaires Express
(sic)

Pedicab Driver

I'm sensing a pattern.

Pedicab Driver 😍 Legit!

Llyranor

A few favorites:

Millionaires Express
(sic)

Pedicab Driver

Don't get me wrong, Jackie Chan is the GOAT with the way he integrates the environment/traversal into his action sequences. But when it comes to pure fight choreography, Sammo is the best. I especially love his weapons stuff. So freaking good.

Other amazing stuff:
- Knockabout
- The Victim
- Magnificent Butcher
- Odd Couple

Hard to say. Too many good ones. Some of my favorite are....

Ip Man fighting those 10 dudes in Ip Man 1.

Chen Zhen vs School of Samurai (Jet li - Fist of Legend)

Jacki Chan vs that white guy in Gorgeous.

The Kitchen Fight in Raid 2.

Everything in Ong Bak.

Bruce Lee vs Tiny and vs the Demon (Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story)

Hector vs Achilles (Troy)

Seagal barfight in Out for Justice

Rocky vs Drago

There are just so many.
The last fight scene in The Man from Nowhere was dope.

Don't get me wrong, Jackie Chan is the GOAT with the way he integrates the environment/traversal into his action sequences. But when it comes to pure fight choreography, Sammo is the best. I especially love his weapons stuff. So freaking good.

Other amazing stuff:
- Knockabout
- The Victim
- Magnificent Butcher
- Odd Couple

What about Jackie Chan with action directing by Sammo Hung??

https://youtu.be/KuUDOUNKHLU?t=4m25s

Actually, the direction in this scene is terrible, particularly when the Yakuza dudes come out. Use of doubles is pretty distracting, too.

Kubo and the Two Strings surprisingly has some amazing fight scenes in it. Pretty much every scene with the sisters is magic. Who would have thought?

UkZK0gr.jpg

mrmickfran

That one fight in Matrix: Reloaded when Neo fight against all those clones.

Watched that shit endlessly as a kid

For a more recent one: Captain America vs. The Winter Soldier. That suplex is so freaking hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom