• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best main female character in a game?

J2 Cool

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20041116033034872.jpg

There is no other choice.

Koshiro

Smiles and Cries said:
that chick who does the booty gyration dance... best thing ever!
o rly

Samus is one hell of a copout IMO, no-one ever seems to point that out. My vote goes to either Jade in BG&E or Ulala. Tempted to go with jade actually as Ulala had a lot of focus on sexiness.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The Boss is a crazy good iconic character, but by and large this thread makes me weep for female characters.

BTW, Samus has very little prescence as a female character. She's often pointed to because she's just a generic male design that ZOMG mask came off and she's female for a moment. Very boring.

Samus is a crap character with funky armour in a great game- it's mere co-incidence she's 'female', if you can even consider her that. Jade from Beyond Good & Evil is a fantastic choice, but overall it's The Boss I reckon who can't be beat. Although the MGS series offers up a lot of competition with Sniper Wolf, Meryl and Fortune being strong, female figures that don't necessarily focus on sexiness to sell the character to the player (although elements are in Meryl and Wolf specifically, they aren't anywhere near as bad as most games)... Even Emma Emmerich in MGS2 is a good female character, a young girl who isn't wearing a boob tube or something ;)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I can't believe nobody mentioned the greatest game character of all time!!!

neibig.jpg

And my other favorite female character:

alis.gif

I'd say Jade as well, but I'm suprised no one has mentioned Bastilla from KOTOR. I thought she was a very well done female character. Always torn between her emotions and her sense of duty.

Red Scarlet

teacupcopter said:
Samus is a crap character with funky armour in a great game- it's mere co-incidence she's 'female', if you can even consider her that. Jade from Beyond Good & Evil is a fantastic choice, but overall it's The Boss I reckon who can't be beat. Although the MGS series offers up a lot of competition with Sniper Wolf, Meryl and Fortune being strong, female figures that don't necessarily focus on sexiness to sell the character to the player (although elements are in Meryl and Wolf specifically, they aren't anywhere near as bad as most games)... Even Emma Emmerich in MGS2 is a good female character, a young girl who isn't wearing a boob tube or something ;)

Ok, so the MGS ones that don't necessarily focus on sexiness to sell the character to the player rock, but a character that does the same thing that you bash on (Samus) not only does that same thing, and very much not a coincidence is a female character when no one on earth would have thought that she was female when playing the game shouldn't even be considered a female character? Samus isn't wearing a boob tube either, and a very large point of the third game is to save her 'child'. I don't get your way of thinking on this one.

Excelion

Banned
1) April Ryan - The Longest Journey
tlj_art_003.jpg

2) Jade - Beyond Good & Evil
07.jpg

3) Deionarra - Planescape Torment
deionarra.jpg

4) Fall from Grace - Planescape Torment
grace.jpg

5) Farah - Prince of Persia series
newfarah8ww.jpg

6) Sarah Kerrigan - Starcraft
Kerrigan_home2.jpg

7) Bastilla Shan - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
bastila.jpg

8) Cortana - Halo series
Halo2_cortana.jpg

9) Imoen - Baldur's Gate series
Imoen.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
teacupcopter said:
you see that's bullshit, Samus was one the first if not the first Female lead character in games and at a time when every goddamn protagonist was a male. not only that, she is part of legendary franchise. her games he spawn countless imitators, even though she has not developed too much over the years as a character(which to me is a plus because knowing everything about her would've been very fucking dull) she has legion of fans, I'm sorry but as good as every female character in the MGS series there is none of them not even The Boss can stand to the legacy that is Samus. and a mere coincidence she is female wtf kind of logic is that? so it's a coincidence Snake is male too?

Zaptruder

Banned
Error2k4 said:
you see that's bullshit, Samus was one the first if not the first Female lead character in games and at a time when every goddamn protagonist was a male. not only that, she is part of legendary franchise. her games he spawn countless imitators, even though she has not developed too much over the years as a character(which to me is a plus because knowing everything about her would've been very fucking dull) she has legion of fans, I'm sorry but as good as every female character in the MGS series there is none of them not even The Boss can stand to the legacy that is Samus. and a mere coincidence she is female wtf kind of logic is that? so it's a coincidence Snake is male too?

Admit it. You're just gay for generic mecha suits.

20021113h.gif

Jiggy

First place by far: Colette Brunel
(Tales of Symphonia, Namco, GC/PS2)

ColetteArt.jpg

Why:
1) She has alternate outfits, which is almost a guaranteed qualifier for honorable mentions if nothing else.
2) She blends about four different stereotypes that aren't supposed to go together. The angel shouldn't be the clutz, the angel shouldn't be the thief, the angel shouldn't be the prophet who understands everybody at first glance, the clutz shouldn't be the thief, the clutz shouldn't be the prophet, and the thief shouldn't be the prophet. It all makes absolutely zero sense, which is why it's so great, and why she ends up being such a well-developed character storyline-wise in a game where everyone else--except for Presea and maybe Zelos--is pretty shallow.
3) She saves the group multiple times by tripping and falling and it's insanely adorable every time it happens.
4) She's one of the most fun support characters ever. Normally I can't stand it when AI-controlled characters are backing me up, whether in Secret of Mana or Star Ocean 2, but Colette as an AI player tends to stun the enemy a lot without ever killing it and taking my glory.
5) Her theme owns my world.
6) She gets captured two or three times. Granted, they never actually show her tied up--if it did, that would probably etch her the permanent #1 favorite character spot--but just knowing that it's theoretically happening is enough.
7) I think she's cute, regardless of what the haters think.
8) I like her English voice actress, also regardless of what the haters think.
9) I have absolutely no clue what the shoulder things hanging off of the sides of and over her dress are called, and that makes me happy.
10) I've never cried for a video game character before, but cried for her three times in the course of my first playthrough--then did it again on two of those scenes the second time through.

Second place by far: Jigglypuff
(Pokemon series, Nintendo/GameFreak, GB/GBC/GBA/DS/N64/GC...
...and Super Smash Bros series, Nintendo, N64/GC)

Jigglypuff.jpg

Why:
1) The nostalgia factor of R/B/Y days, back when I thought Sing was a broken move because it put enemies to sleep with what really seemed like a lot more than 55% accuracy.
2) My current online name spawned from a shortening of "Jigglypuff."
3) She's simply by far my favorite character to play as in SSBM. Part of that is because nobody I play against knows how to use her, so they also don't know how to counter her (whereas other friends' specialties include Peach, Fox, Sheik, etc., all of whom I know how to deal with), but more of it is just due to insane aerial maneuverability. She's way, way too fun to play for me to rank her any lower.

Third place by far: Rena Lanford
(Star Ocean: The Second Story, Enix/Tri-Ace, PSX)
(Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, Enix/Tri-Ace, GBC)

AnimeRena50.jpg

Why:
1) Not technically alternate outfits since they're in different places, but she has one outfit in Star Ocean 2 proper, another in the Japan-only Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, and another in the Star Ocean 2 anime (shown up above), and I really love all three. The only gripes I have with each is that the shoes of the SO2 artwork don't make sense for a girl who likes exploring and running around, ditto for the skirt of the SOBS artwork (although it really does look great on her and helps the futuristic look), and the anime artwork ditches the high socks while also making her look anorexic.
2) She only gets captured once, unlike Colette--but also unlike Colette, they actually show it. WOOO.
3) Like everybody else in Star Ocean, she's got an insane plethora of skills at her disposal. She fights, she has healing powers, she makes her own weapons, she makes her own armor, she makes her own accessories, she forages for survival, she sends birds to get supplies for her, she cooks five-star meals with only a few ingredients, she summons gigantic bunnies to transport her around, she plays musical instruments, she writes best-selling romance novels, and more, all at the age of 17. Crazy.
4) She's in a game the likes of FF6 and CT, where I keep and/or will keep wanting it re-released on a portable system until it actually happens.

Honorable mentions, in alphabetical order by game since I'm too lazy to figure out exactly where to rank them:

Sami (Advance Wars series, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, GBA/DS) - Has very different abilities from all the firepower bonus COs in the series, a neat character design art-wise, and a theme so awesome it could probably be the main theme of the entire series.
Marle (Chrono Trigger, Squaresoft, SNES)
Kasumi (Dead or Alive series, Team Ninja, Dreamcast/PS2/XB/X360) - Like I said, alternate outfits will get any halfway decent female character into the honorable mentions. A fun character to play as, too.
Celes Chere (Final Fantasy VI, Squaresoft, SNES) - Good storyline, fantastic theme, and cute sprite.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI, Squaresoft, SNES) - See Celes, except subtract the "cute sprite" part.
Tifa (Final Fantasy VII, Squaresoft, PSX) - Her art design really betrays the writing behind her, because she's a good "girl next door" type. Lacks a good theme, too.
Lyn (Fire Emblem 7, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, GBA) - Has very different abilities from basically every other Lord in the series, a neat character design art-wise, and a theme so awesome it could probably be the main theme of the entire series. Basically the Sami of FE, to me.
Mist (Fire Emblem 9, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, GC) - Just because there's something funky about a girl who starts off as a ground-based healer with 5 movement and turns into a mounted sword user healer with 8 movement.
Cassandra (Soul Calibur 2-3, Namco, GC/PS2/X-Box) - 236B and the valkyrie outfit do the trick. If PS2 dropped to $100 new and came bundled with something good, I'd really consider buying one just to play as Cassandra with new outfits.

Would have made the list or honorable mentions if they were main characters:

Schala (Chrono Trigger, Squaresoft, SNES)
Agrias (Final Fantasy Tactics, Squaresoft, PSX)
Beatrix (Final Fantasy IX, Squaresoft, PSX)
Eiko (Final Fantasy IX, Squaresoft, PSX)
Relm Arrowny (Final Fantasy VI, Squaresoft, SNES)
Yuffie (Final Fantasy VII, Squaresoft, PSX)
Rikku (Final Fantasy X/2, Square-Enix, PS2)
Tana (Fire Emblem 8, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, GBA)
Marin (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening/DX, Nintendo, GB/GBC)
Lemina (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, GameArts/WorkingDesigns, PSX)
Precis Neumann (Star Ocean: The Second Story, Enix/Tri-Ace, PSX)

Had the potential to make the list or honorable mentions if they were human:

Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Rare, N64)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country 2-3, Rare/Nintendo, SNES/GBA)

Had the potential to make the list or honorable mentions if they showed personality instead of just cool abilities:

Alena (Dragon Warrior IV, Enix, NES)
Paula (Earthbound, Nintendo, SNES)
Porom (Final Fantasy IV, Squaresoft, SNES)
Rosa (Final Fantasy IV, Squaresoft, SNES)
Selan (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, Natsume, SNES)
Samus (Metroid series, Nintendo, NES/GB/SNES/GBA/GC)
The Girl (Secret of Mana, Squaresoft, SNES)
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile, Enix/Tri-Ace, PSX)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i haven't played MGS3, so I'm wondering why The Boss is getting mentioned so many times... she was never a playable main character was she? Just an NPC afaik.

Red Scarlet

Himuro said:
What he means is that Samus doesn't have the characterization to even be considered a best female character aside from badassness. And I agree.

His reasoning was what I was not understanding. Some of the same aspects that he liked some characters Samus does too (unless you really like her helmet or something).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Scrow said:
i haven't played MGS3, so I'm wondering why The Boss is getting mentioned so many times... she was never a playable main character was she? Just an NPC afaik.

Sure...(from a post I made earlier in a similar thread):
She's a normal, sensitive human being underneath a hardened, rational soldier shell. She doesn't play on sex, she doesn't walk around showing off her cleavage, wiggle her ass, pout with her lips, or talk with a seducing voice. She's also a "main" character who's a middle-aged woman, which I think is one of the bravest character designs in the game industry today. In essence, she is a woman with dignity who acts like a respectable human rather than an oversized female sex doll. That's what I call fresh air.

Error2k4 said:

Samus isn't a character. Samus is a cool drawing, part of an AWESOME game, but Metroid barely has a story, and Samus is barely a character. It's not a criticism, and I definitely think Samus looks cool, but fuck, Master Chief has more character to him. Samus barely utters a word (does she at ALL!? in any game? I forget). It's 'co-incidence' because you only find out she's female at the end of the game. Take that out and guess what? NOTHING CHANGES. She doesn't stand for anything, she doesn't display any femininity at all, she's a faceless avatar. End of story. This really can't be argued... I mean she's interchangable with almost anyone

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Kiriku said:
Sure...(from a post I made earlier in a similar thread):
She's a normal human being underneath the hardened soldier shell. She doesn't play on sex, she doesn't walk around showing off her cleavage, wiggle her ass, pout with her lips, or talk with a seducing voice. She's also a "main" character who's a middle-aged woman, which I think is one of the bravest character designs in the game industry today. In essence, she is a woman with dignity who acts like a respectable human rather than an oversized female sex doll. That's what I call fresh air.
yeah, that's nice and all, but i was talking more about whether the definition of a "main character" means they're the character you play as throughout the game?

teacupcopter said:
Samus isn't a character. Samus is a cool drawing, part of an AWESOME game, but Metroid barely has a story, and Samus is barely a character. It's not a criticism, and I definitely think Samus looks cool, but fuck, Master Chief has more character to him. Samus barely utters a word (does she at ALL!? in any game? I forget). It's 'co-incidence' because you only find out she's female at the end of the game. Take that out and guess what? NOTHING CHANGES. She doesn't stand for anything, she doesn't display any femininity at all, she's a faceless avatar. End of story. This really can't be argued... I mean she's interchangable with almost anyone
i kinda agree with this for the most part.

teacupcopter said:
Samus barely utters a word (does she at ALL!? in any game? I forget).
she does

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Scrow said:
yeah, that's nice and all, but i was talking more about whether the definition of a "main character" means they're the character you play as throughout the game?

Oh, I misunderstood...partly because your question has already been answered by the person who started the thread:

Raiden said:
Yeah agree, so ehm new rules...they dont have to be the "main" character.

So yeah, The Boss is not a playable main character. She is however deeply tied to the storyline throughout the game and plays an important role.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Kiriku said:
Oh, I misunderstood...partly because your question has already been answered by the person who started the thread:
ah okay, missed it.

carry on.

Red Scarlet

:lol Please play Super Metroid again. The whole point to the game is to find the Baby Metroid, which thinks Samus is its mother.

She "talks" in it too, but not speech-wise, only narration. She also narrates in Fusion, but meh.

etiolate

Banned
Xellotah said:
smashtraining15.jpg

Oh man... this isn't the Princess that I know... poor toad.

:lol Look at Toad open wide for the purple missile.

my votes:
Samus
Jade
Joanna (but not the sexed up version, the original)

Aika from Skies is awesome, I don't know if she counts as a main character or side character.

This is an old criticism based on the premise there was no Metroid games after the first. The sequels have furthered who Samus is, her relationships with others and her gender is no longer hidden or a surprise.

Plus, stories and personality do not rely completely upon dialogue. This is something many game writers should fucking learn already.

Andy787

Banned
The Boss, Alyx Vance, Samus, Jade, obviously.

Other good female leads: Mona Sax (Max Payne 2), Carla (Indigo Prophecy). And I can't believe the ever lovely Cate Archer hasn't been mentioned yet:

pcg_no_one_lives_forever_2.jpg

NOLF2A.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Zaptruder said:
Admit it. You're just gay for generic mecha suits.

20021113h.gif
:lol nah In fact I hate characters with mecha suits, but c'mon this is Samus where are talking about here.

Top Bottom