• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best main female character in a game?

sammy said:
Anyone arguing against Samus hasn't played Fusion ---- She actually has dialogue and narration throughout, you feel pretty bad when she gets dicked over in the game too. And there's plenty of 'hints' into her past....

Also Zero Mission highlights some interesting tid-bits on her childhood :p

Samus is a great character, she just doesn't go into some hour-long monologue about her "dark mystery rogue past" ---- Things are presented minimally throughout the franchise for players that don't need every piece of information spoon-fed to them.

Samus is deliberately left ambigious and an undeveloped character because Metroid isn't a game focused on story. It's not a slight on the game, it's just how it is.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Quistis from FFVIII and Lulu from FFX. They played similar roles--wonderful women of character, caring for others with no partiality despite personality differences, sacrificing personal desires without complaint and finding contentment with what is given them, knowing what is best but making it happen though knowing their place in the system and encouraging others in theirs, secretly acting as leaders because of wisdom that was understated in humility. They made the main characters what they were, and Lulu in particular held the whole group together. It's too easy to make a badass, sexy or princess girl--characters like these two are few and far between, yet much more human and believable.

F.Be@PSG

199px-Streetfighter_chunli_illust.png
t-Yuna_modif.jpg

AniHawk

Tony HoTT said:
That's what I like about her. I played through metroid 1 when I was a wee lad and didn't know it was a girl until the end. That was awesome to figure out back then.

They should make a metroid where you don't play as Samus, but it never tells you until you beat it. Then you're left with a picture of a dude in a speedo over looking a barren planet.

You might be on to something.

Raiden said:
And only 1 Lara Croft post! You guys make me proud!

rly

Lara does deserve to be there. I think her not being listed alot has more to do with people not liking the later games she's in than it being about her character which is actually good. But it goes to people choosing characters from games they like moreso than characters that are actually good.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
always really liked Lenneth from VP but she's been mentioned multiple times so instead I feel like mentioning:

Selan from Lufia 2. :(

selan0vs.png

as for the whole samus thing, I'd side with the people saying she's just an avatar. I've played all the metroid games and its one of my favorite series but you could completely replace her in the next metroid game with some guy with the same/similar suit and I probably wouldn't even realize it nor care.

Top Bottom