• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best movement/player control in 3D games still Super Mario 64 and Sunshine?

ant1532

Banned
Am i the only one who still feels this way still? :/

SIDEJUMPS SHOULD BE IN EVERY 3RD PERSON GAME
Smsmarioflip.jpg

Case for Super Mario 64
https://youtu.be/FMrWnUf3iN4?t=183

Case for Sunshine
https://youtu.be/FKzvq8_knjg?t=2739

any more games that nail it like this?

this boy so fast his naps are important

Super_Sleeping_64.gif

WillyFive

I wish the newer 2D Mario's (or games in general) were as responsive and fun to simply move around in as the Mario Sunshine save select screen.

Lijik

For platformers Mario is still the gold standard.
The biggest bummer with the modern crop of indie platformers is outside of Spooky Poo (which I really dug the prototype of just for its controls), no one seems to be aiming for something similar to Mario 64/Sunshines style. Hat in Time's Mafiatown stage in particular would be way more fun with Mario's moveset.

I wish the newer 2D Mario's (or games in general) were as responsive and fun to simply move around in as the Mario Sunshine save select screen.
I always forget those games have the triple jump system. I dont know if the timing is just harder to pull off or if 2d space isnt really built for it as easily as 3D space is, but whenever I pull off a double jump in NSMB its like "oh fuck, right, these games have that"

ant1532

Banned
cmon cmon yaalll bring up some games to contest with, rather than just saying no you don't think so. what good is that lol?

AdanVC

Looks to be that way! Playing SM64 on Wii U and controlling Mario is one of the most satifying things ever. Same with Sunshine despite some funky gameplay decisions there, especially when collecting all the blue coins.

ant1532

Banned
Knack controls well from what ive played far better than mario

oh knack it off

For platformers Mario is still the gold standard.
The biggest bummer with the modern crop of indie platformers is outside of Spooky Poo (which I really dug the prototype of just for its controls), no one seems to be aiming for something similar to Mario 64/Sunshines style. Hat in Time's Mafiatown stage in particular would be way more fun with Mario's moveset.

I always forget those games have the triple jump system. I dont know if the timing is just harder to pull off or if 2d space isnt really built for it as easily as 3D space is, but whenever I pull off a double jump in NSMB its like "oh fuck, right, these games have that"
that game spooky poo is cool wowowow. never seen it before.

but yes one day i will make my super mario 64/ninja gaiden dream game.

Has it not just gotten better in recent Mario games? (Galaxy 1/2, 3D World, etc.)?

Honestly asking.
I thought Galaxy was slightly more slippery and some of the moves weren't quite as effective (still great). 3D World is solid but completely different. I'm not a fan of the delayed sprint mechanic.

tesqui

Mario 64 has great control mixed with an abysmal camera. The vast majority of the screw ups i've had with the game has to do with awkward weird perspective camera angles.

Stepping away from platformers, I thought the souls games have some ace character controls and movement. I just realized this from playing a bit of Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed, and Shadow of Mordor. They all have that annoying animation where you cling to the enemies while fighting them. I much prefer the less hand holdy nature of the souls games. It gives you more choice of your actions.

Kewl0210

Neo Member
I feel like Mario 64 had more control OPTIONS, you can't do jump kicks (And I think long-jumps) for example in Sunshine, but overall SM64 was harder to control. For example in SM64 you only have a couple frames to do wall kicks once you hit a wall before you fall down, in Mario Sunshine you'll slide down the wall and have plenty of time. SM64 also has this problem with trying to turn around and Mario doing a sort of U-turn. That with the camera often having very limited range it could turn/stay in largely due to it being the first game to do SOOO many 3D features.

Also Sunshine's hover nozzle made getting from place to place easier, requiring less precision, but didn't necessarily make for the best platforming experience. You get a very different comparison when you're looking at SM64 VS most of Sunshine and SM64 VS the levels of Sunshine where you lose the FLUDD. Then Galaxy games simplified this even more, then Mario 3D world brought a bunch of stuff back but basically made it all useless because you can do everything with regular running and jumping.

Incidentally, that Mario 64 120-star record was beaten around a week after that was set by the same guy, though he never uploaded it to Youtube.
http://www.twitch.tv/cheese05/v/4258769
The current Mario Sunshine any% record is a lot faster, too:
http://www.twitch.tv/kaffelon/c/6459413

Z3M0G

I thought "how could this be?" until I watched that Mario 64 video... good lord! It blows my mind that such an old game provided such rich gameplay.

While I agree with the general sentiment that 64 & Sunshine offer the best controls in the series, I think that some people who label Galaxy's movement as "less fun" forget to take into account the gravity physics. Long jump-orbiting small planetoids certainly recaptures a lot of the fun of the prior two games, but the controls can be slow when on nothing but flat ground. Besides, Sunshine's moveset in particular is less suited for more straight platformers like 3D Land/World.

ant1532

Banned
I feel like Mario 64 had more control OPTIONS, you can't do jump kicks (And I think long-jumps) for example in Sunshine, but overall SM64 was harder to control. Like in SM64 you only have a couple frames to do wall kicks before you fall down, in Mario Sunshine you'll slide down the wall and have plenty of time. SM64 also has this problem with trying to turn around and Mario doing a sort of U-turn. That with the camera often having very limited range it could turn/stay in largely due to it being the first game to do SOOO many 3D features.

Also Sunshine's hover nozzle made getting from place to place easier, requiring less precision, but didn't necessarily make for the best platforming experience. You get a very different comparison when you're looking at SM64 VS most of Sunshine and SM64 VS the levels of Sunshine where you lose the FLUDD. Then Galaxy games simplified this even more, then Mario 3D world brought a bunch of stuff back but basically made it all useless because you can do everything with regular running and jumping.

Incidentally, that Mario 64 record was beaten around a week after that was set by the same guy, though he never uploaded it to Youtube.
http://www.twitch.tv/cheese05/v/4258769
true true i agree with almost everything your saying but i look at the mechanic of the flood from the opposite perspective really. yeah it makes it easier since you can float but that allows for a totally different set of movement options to play with. and its very fast. and replacing long jump and jump kick is the water slide, which is fucking nuts, and the spin jump. plus the easier wall kick allows for more options since the 64 one is nuts as fuck( i do love 64s wall kick though too)

MrBadger

I'm actually a bigger fan of the movement in 3D World. While the 64 movement is more open ended, the 3D world movement seems tightly designed around the level design which leads to a very strong 3D platformer.

The crazy thing is Mario has most of his Mario 64 maneuvers at his disposal in Donkey Kong 94 on Gameboy.

Or at least similar maneuvers.

ant1532

Banned
I thought "how could this be?" until I watched that Mario 64 video... good lord! It blows my mind that such an old game provided such rich gameplay.

you made me notice i didn't have the video on the time i meant. i meant it for a minute before when he gets the 100 coin star. i changed it now.

I'll always be a Spyro man

Never not charging!

oh wow, i just looked up some videos and i never knew about the nonstop charging since i only rented this game as a babyboy. spyro looking like sonic, sick sick!

AAK

Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden for me.

EDIT: Sorry I thought you meant by control and responsiveness rather than traversal mechanics. Then I'd say SM is pretty up there. I personally loved the Hover Boots in a Crack in Time.

ant1532

Banned

EDIT: Sorry I thought you meant by control and responsiveness rather than traversal mechanics. Then I'd say SM is pretty up there. I personally loved the Hover Boots in a Crack in Time.

yep i love ninja gaiden for its controls though, my dream game is sm64xninja gaiden

Wtf?
They were good at the time but game controls have evolved past that point now. It helps that we have far superior controllers now too.

those games (which you haven't mentioned..., so ill assume just current gen games ) just tend to make movement easier and faster, rather than precise, freeform, and challenging. yeah you can disappear and fly in new games while jacking planes and shit, but it isn't as tight controls and rewarding from the challange as climbing some simple walls in super mario 64.

I'm so happy to see this strong resurgence of 64/Sunshine love. They're both brilliant games.

Yes, I do believe they both feature the best play control of any 3D platformer. And I've been saying this since Sunshine came out back in 2002.

NotLiquid

Sunshine is king in terms of controls. The controls in that game are incredibly tight even by Mario standards, and that's kind of saying a lot. It's a shame that because of it, the camera issues feel a bit exacerbated.

Games like Sunshine really make me want a more acrobatic Mario game. Even though Galaxy was a better game, it wasn't as good in terms of controls.

3D world is better. I like the sprint button, the streamlined movement, and the physics just seem more sharp.

Sharper is not how I would define 3D World movement. 64 movement is crazy fast and precise. I'm pretty sure a lot of gamers wouldn't hang with it today.

Trace

Banned
I would argue that Ratchet and Clank has some of the tightest controls I've ever played. That 60fps was no slouch.

For third person platforming, SM64 is certainly up there. It'd be a bit better with a far better camera, though; like, it was one of their first stabs at 3D, so the camera's flaws are excusable to a degree, but it's still kind of iffy. SM64DS has a much better camera, including a much-needed "snap camera behind your back" button, but then you're hampered by digital controls instead of not analog, unless you actually use that thumb-strap thing. (Said snap-behind-back button mitigates the problems a fair bit, at least, since you can line jumps up horizontally by hugging a parallel wall and making the camera angle perpendicular to it, but it's still less-than-ideal.)

But all of 3D games? I can't make that kind of blanket statement; SM64's controls would be downright terrible for non-platforming games, like Doom. The existing control schemes for that game work pretty much ideally for its purposes (well, once you set it up to use WASD+mouselook, which it does support, even vanilla; shit, Romero designed his stages against that kind of control scheme).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I agree with the OP. Super Mario 64 player control is god tier.

Lijik

Yeah the hover boots really elevate ratchets controls which i feel were already pretty up there beforehand. The only bummer is they wind up undoing the feeling of heft they added to Ratchets high jump in Tools of Destruction which i liked a lot (i wound up high jumping in that game a lot just because the oomph it has was so satisfying). it goes against the sense of mobility the boots provide so i get why they did it.

ant1532

Banned
For third person platforming, SM64 is certainly up there. It'd be a bit better with a far better camera, though; like, it was one of their first stabs at 3D, so the camera's flaws are excusable to a degree, but it's still kind of iffy. SM64DS has a much better camera, including a much-needed "snap camera behind your back" button, but then you're hampered by digital controls instead of not analog, unless you actually use that thumb-strap thing. (Said snap-behind-back button mitigates the problems a fair bit, at least, since you can line jumps up horizontally by hugging a parallel wall and making the camera angle perpendicular to it, but it's still less-than-ideal.)

But all of 3D games? I can't make that kind of blanket statement; SM64's controls would be downright terrible for non-platforming games, like Doom. The existing control schemes for that games work pretty much ideally for its purposes (well, once you set it up to use WASD+mouselook, which it does support, even vanilla; shit, Romero designed his stages against that kind of control scheme).

chu know what i meeant, i was too lazy to figure out how to word the title lol

Top Bottom