• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bestbuy just cancelled by new 3DS XL Majora's Mask order

No offense, but to me, this just says you are upset you have missed out. Your idea of a fair amount is that it's limited enough that people still miss out...would that still include you?

I think it's reasonable that even limited editions can strike a happy balance between selling out before you even wake up the morning of preorders being opened, and them being available for purchase 50% off at gamestop six months down the road. AND retain their limited status.

That way at least, everyone who actually wants one will have a window of opportunity to reasonably get one. There will still be those who will regret not buying in that window, but they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

georly

Best Buy probably didn't have that info and guessed. Which means only now do they probably know how many they're getting.

Would make sense that both companies got their allotment today, and clearly best buy oversold and gamestop undersold.

I wonder what the actual numbers are. If they're in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands.

I think nintendo could have sold half a million of these babies in the US alone, easy.

Glip_Glop

Yes, I'm bummed my order got cancelled but it's not the end of the world. Getting The Order: 1886 out of it for free helps ease my pain a little :)

Maaaaannn.

So bummed.

If someone doesn't really want their Majoras Mask 3DS but wants the $50 coupon I'll pay full price plus shipping.

Otherwise I guess I'll get an eshop card or something.

Corgi

Banned
still order in progress for me.

Shit why am I refreshing bestbuy.com account every few hours :(

Almost wish I just got cancel confirmation and the $50 instead of this pressure.

Edzi

Seriously guys, if you're going to come to this thread just to say "Ha ha, I wish they'd cancel mine since I'd rather get a $50 card", at the very least offer to trade with someone who lost theirs and actually wants one.

Redd

And here I was mad at everyone and Nintendo for getting the limited edition N3dsxl since there wasn't a heads up and you just had to be on the website at the right time.

Getting lucky and having them cancel on you is low though. Hopefully Nintendo makes a second batch of Zelda limited editions so more of us can get one.

And here I was mad at everyone and Nintendo for getting the limited edition N3dsxl since there wasn't a heads up and you just had to be on the website at the right time.

Getting lucky and having them cancel on you is low though. Hopefully Nintendo makes a second batch of Zelda limited editions so more of us can get one.

I think one of the more infuriating things is their complete silence. Tell us if there will be more production runs, tell us we're doomed, but fucking tell us SOMETHING.

Corgi

Banned
Seriously guys, if you're going to come to this thread just to say "Ha ha, I wish they'd cancel mine since I'd rather get a $50 card", at the very least offer to trade with someone who lost theirs and actually wants one.

I probably will when I get the console. Don't think anyone is going 'haha' just yet. Feels like the game of russian roulette is still happening. :(

Koobion

This probably sounds like total nonsense, but I think I'm happy that mine got cancelled after all. There's not much reason to upgrade yet, and this way, I can get a free game - while waiting for another New3DS fancy model to be announced.

The fact that the Red/Black alternatives are rather ugly certainly helps, too.

ironmang

I remember someone on CAG saying even before BBY preorders went up that if they do it's worth jumping on since it's a win/win. Guess they must have given out gift cards in the past for something like this.

Cleve

Hey $50 for free. I can't be too salty. I was only grabbing the mm one because it was a little different.

Shame on BB for overallocating, but they more than made up for it.

Shame on Nintendo for failing to coordinate with distributors better.

Somehow, some way, my order is still "in process". But I know nothing is guaranteed until I actually hold the product in my hands.

Please, Best Buy, let me order stay strong.

Artorias

Banned
I remember someone on CAG saying even before BBY preorders went up that if they do it's worth jumping on since it's a win/win. Guess they must have given out gift cards in the past for something like this.

Yea, they do occasionally. One time they had the Dead Space 2 CE up for $5 and when it got backordered they sent me a $5 voucher 3 times before cancelling entirely. One of them was like months after the order, but I never cancelled it myself just in case they found one.

SRTtoZ

Really?? BBB? It was a mistake that BB(Best Buy) man'd up to and gave people a $50 credit for. Seems overly generous IMO, shit happens.

Paranerd

Neo Member
It's a nice gesture, but I'm mad because they didn't even tell anyone it got canceled until after every other retailer sold out. I could have got one at GS today if they had told me earlier.

Yeah, that's the most frustrating thing about all of this. I was at a GameStop earlier today and an employee asked me if I wanted to preorder the Majora's Mask 3DS XL.

ironmang

It's a nice gesture, but I'm mad because they didn't even tell anyone it got canceled until after every other retailer sold out. I could have got one at GS today if they had told me earlier.

Normally I think these gestures are stupid like the 10% coupon and whole 5 days of plus that Sony gave but this one is a lot better than nice and should undo any negative feelings people have towards them. If their timing was a little better you would have received a free $50 gift card and still had a MM XL preorder.

Said this in the amiibo thread but between this, Bayonetta 2 FP being EU only, no new regular 3DS, and of course, amiibos, I kinda wanna blame NoA specifically.

BBB is basically Yelp. They don't actually have any power.

They do some have power to leverage retailer but nothing of that with magnitude of pre orders.

BBB is only good to help with bad purchases(Like your purchase is defective out of box and store won't accept it) and warranty issues.

Thoraxes

Would make sense that both companies got their allotment today, and clearly best buy oversold and gamestop undersold.

I wonder what the actual numbers are. If they're in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands.

I think nintendo could have sold half a million of these babies in the US alone, easy.
Oh I totally agree. People are rabid enough for them that they'd likely all sell.

Ants

im frustrated to see my pre-order go, but this basically means i get majora's mask for free

obviously the blame should be on nintendo, here. if they would do the sensible thing and manufacture according to pre-order numbers up to a certain date, this wouldn't be a problem. i honestly kind of feel bad for best buy to have to take this kind of a hit since most consumers will not understand the chain of events leading to this necessity

im frustrated to see my pre-order go, but this basically means i get majora's mask for free

obviously the blame should be on nintendo, here. if they would do the sensible thing and manufacture according to pre-order numbers up to a certain date, this wouldn't be a problem. i honestly kind of feel bad for best buy to have to take this kind of a hit since most consumers will not understand the chain of events leading to this necessity

Exactly. Some people are saying that this is solely BB's fault. But this whole thing reeks of poor communication between Nintendo and retailers. They should have had these allotments estimated accurately far before they just announce products out the blue, leaving consumers and retailers scrambling to buy and sell, respectively.

Exactly. Some people are saying that this is solely BB's fault. But this whole thing reeks of poor communication between Nintendo and retailers. They should have had these allotments estimated accurately far before they just announce products out the blue, leaving consumers and retailers scrambling to buy and sell, respectively.

If the reason Amazon in the UK is the last big seller of amiibos not to put up the new preorders is because they don't want to deal with these headaches (as well as parent company's weird history with NCL), I get it.

ironmang

The complaints on their facebook page are hilarious. Especially love all the people saying "I'll tell everybody I know not to shop at Best Buy!" as if people are going to boycott a store because their whiny friend didn't get a limited edition handheld. Knowing my friends they'd probably start texting me pictures of every Best Buy receipt for months.

So has it just been cancellations in the US?

I know when they went up for sale in Canada there was two cycles of presales that went up. I watch it count down from 100, sell out, then there was another 100 back up in stock.

Interested to know if it's just in the US. I didn't order mine from Best Buy. Got it from Future Shop instead but they're both owned by the same company.

Thoraxes

Well, Best Buy is the company that sold people something they didn't have.

I think it's pretty logical to put the blame on them considering none of us are privy to Nintendo's shipment numbers and we actually have concrete proof of what Best Buy is doing.

Unless you or someone else has that information that they can share, I'd only go off of the facts before pointing fingers elsewhere.

Well, Best Buy is the company that sold people something they didn't have.

I think it's pretty logical to put the blame on them considering none of us are privy to Nintendo's shipment numbers and we actually have concrete proof of what Best Buy is doing.

Unless you or someone else has that information that they can share, I'd only go off of the facts before pointing fingers elsewhere.

I'm going off the fact that both GS and BB didn't know how many they were getting. As I said, it seems like there was terrible communication between Nintendo and retailers, or this could've been avoided?

I mean, Nintendo has been SILENT on this entire fiasco. They could at least let us know how limited these are, if there are any more production runs, or if we're all doomed. Instead it's just silence.

I'm going off the fact that both GS and BB didn't know how many they were getting. As I said, it seems like there was terrible communication between Nintendo and retailers, or this could've been avoided?

I mean, Nintendo has been SILENT on this entire fiasco. They could at least let us know how limited these are, if there are any more production runs, or if we're all doomed. Instead it's just silence.

They've been pretty silent on everything recently. This, amiibos, gc adapters, Skull Kid LE. They pretty much suck at Public Relations.

Thoraxes

When have any companies really done that, outside of extremely special circumstances? The only ones I can really think of are the PS4 Anniversary Edition and Neptunia Re;Birth 1.

I remember all the people pissed about the Destiny LEs and CEs and their numbers which were unknown. Same with the Sunset Overdrive White Xbone bundles from MS. I don't think we've ever had numbers for all the limited edition 3DS XL SKUs either. Persona Q, Pokemon, Smash, Zelda ABLW, NES, Animal Crossing, and Disney Magic Castle are all special editions that we don't have numbers for.

It's just not something that's common with these companies. I don't think it's their job to tell us how many, it's their job to make people try to do anything to get one no matter what the cost. On this front it appears they've succeeded.

And if they completely sell out it's a really good thing for them because they won't overproduce. The people who will pass because they couldn't get a special edition are a relatively small demographic if you looks at 3DS sales as a whole and the duration of the special consoles on the markets and in stores.

I think the scalper mentality and scalpers are really what has been hurting the western releases recently. Not too sure why this is happening so much, but the issue has become extremely prevalent in the last few months.

Top Bottom