• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bestbuy just cancelled by new 3DS XL Majora's Mask order

spookyfish

Fry's sent me this email.

Dear ANDREW :

Thank you for your order #***************** .

Due to overwhelming demand or insufficient availability from our
supplier(s) we are unable to fulfill your entire order. Please note
the item(s) listed below have been removed from your order because
it is no longer available.

And yet people on Nintendo's FB page are saying it's all the retailers' faukts. Yeah, okay.

Sorry to hear it, man. I hope some people who want this actually get it.

How so? When stores jump the gun to open preorders without knowing how many they are getting that is entirely the retailer's fault an no one else's.

It is possible that the retailers estimated the number of pre-orders they could take based on an estimate received from the distributors. These distributors likely got the number from Nintendo...

Sales analysts at NoA* should be fired immediately, they are terrible at estimating demand.

My order hasn't been cancelled (yet?). If it does, money lost for Nintendo, as I'm not getting a regular color.

* unless it's also sold out in Japan and Europe, then fire Iwata

How so? When stores jump the gun to open preorders without knowing how many they are getting that is entirely the retailer's fault an no one else's.

Considering we have no idea what the real story is on why this happened...I don't understand why people are putting blame as if they had some insider knowledge....Maybe Best Buy was told X amount and then Nintendo said oops...or any number of other things...it sucks either way. At least we got $50 out of it...better than nothing (fry's).

Seth

I had ordered two, only for myself and one for a friend. They canceled one of the two. I didn't get one of the $50 coupons. I guess I'm not really going to complain about it, since i think I'm still getting one of the consoles... maybe. Would have liked to give my friend the $50 off at least...

Sales analysts at NoA* should be fired immediately, they are terrible at estimating demand.

My order hasn't been cancelled (yet?). If it does, money lost for Nintendo, as I'm not getting a regular color.

Exactly. They make the most money when supply equals demand. Obviously it's unrealistic to ever be exact, but it's in their best interest to get the two as close as possible. I for one will no longer be purchasing the new 3DS. None of the new features are enticing enough on their own. Good job Nintendo. If anyone makes money it will be the scalpers.

Oxn

Exactly. They make the most money when supply equals demand. Obviously it's unrealistic to ever be exact, but it's in their best interest to get the two as close as possible. I for one will no longer be purchasing the new 3DS. None of the new features are enticing enough on their own. Good job Nintendo. If anyone makes money it will be the scalpers.

Same,

I have no interest in a N3DS, like at all. I just care about Zelda. If they cancel on me, Im not getting a N3DSXL.

Vitacat

And you know that how?

Fact is that retailers had a very limited preorder, which is why they sold out in like 15 minutes. I think what happened is NOA changed the allocation numbers on them and retailers were forced to cancel orders.

And you know that how?

Fact is that retailers had a very limited preorder, which is why they sold out in like 15 minutes. I think what happened is NOA changed the allocation numbers on them and retailers were forced to cancel orders.

Sony at least told everyone that there were going to be 20000 anniversary PS4s. So you had an idea of what that would be like. Here there is no transparency or communication. They are truly incompetent.

Vitacat

Sony at least told everyone that there were going to be 20000 anniversary PS4s. So you had an idea of what that would be like. Here there is no transparency or communication. They are truly incompetent.

Good point of comparison.

I love Nintendo games, but NOA and the way NA has been treated lately is pretty bad.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

The reatailers estimate the amount they can sell based on what the producer of the item tells them how many they will get. This is a Nintendo fuckup. Something they do all the fucking time.

NogibTC

Banned

But how often does that really happen? (and it was 12,300 btw :p) Think about every collector's edition or limited item you've ever bought and the number of times the actual production numbers are told to the public is miniscule. You had things like the Halo 3 LE with the cat helmet on shelves for literally years because so many were made. And Dead Space 3, heck I don't think I've ever seen a non-LE of that game. I guess I'm just saying that companies are free to make as many or as few of things as they want. In essence, technically everything could be called limited as they have finite production runs. I just think it is unreasonable to expect numbers to be ever be communicated.

Maximo

Seems like the boiling point for alot of people in regards to Nintendo has finally been reached, Terrible Account System, Region Locking, Charger not coming with 3DSXL, N3DS Not coming to US, From what we *Assume* Nintendo Under delivered on the number of Majoras Mask 3DS's. Have I missed any ? Just seeing aloooooot of negative Threads of Nintendo lately, would If I could probably make a thread about it, interested in seeing people's overall opinion of Nintendo lately.

Seems like the boiling point for alot of people in regards to Nintendo has finally been reached, Terrible Account System, Region Locking, Charger not coming with 3DSXL, N3DS Not coming to US, From what we *Assume* Nintendo Under delivered on the number of Majoras Mask 3DS's. Have I missed any ? Just seeing aloooooot of negative Threads of Nintendo lately, would If I could probably make a thread about it, interested in seeing people's overall opinion of Nintendo lately.

Take a trip to the Amiibo thread. Oh lord.

Vena

This stretch can bridge the Mariana Trench, made of cotton, metal, and wood.

Jamix012

I don't know what you've been observing, but just very recently the GAF GOTY results showed Nintendo exclusives in the top 3 spots and 4 of the top 10. I admit, those problems you've listed have been prominent since that poll, but I really don't think many people have hit even close to losing faith in the company compared to, say, 3 weeks ago.

Illucio

Banned

And Majora's Mask 3D the game itself is sold out of pre-orders for Amazon UK.

Just what in Reggie's name is going on here?

taco543

I've been checking like a mad man the past two days and my pre order with best buy is still fine and I hope it stays that way because the scalpers beat me to the majoras mask special edition with the skull kid :(.

Meffer

I don't agree with firing Iwata but everything else I agree. Nintendo is not a small company by any means. They are one of the most profitable video game companies in the world and they should act and do like it.

stolin

I just got an order update from FutureShop, I ordered immediately when it went live.

Just to let you know your pre-order items(s) are currently awaiting the release date. We'll send you a Shipment Notice email as soon as the inventory is ready.
This order contains
Items(s) currently on order: Release date
Order date: 16 Jan 2015, 10:36:34
new Nintendo 3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition 13 Feb, 2015​

I just got an order update from FutureShop, I ordered immediately when it went live.

Just to let you know your pre-order items(s) are currently awaiting the release date. We'll send you a Shipment Notice email as soon as the inventory is ready.
This order contains
Items(s) currently on order: Release date
Order date: 16 Jan 2015, 10:36:34
new Nintendo 3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition 13 Feb, 2015​
Same for me. FS went through?

stolin

Seems normal?

Yes these are the normal "Order Update" emails that they send out. I was just showing that FS is currently confirming early orders. It would be pretty weak for them to send out re-confirming emails 8 days later and then cancel.

I think I'm safe
, for now..

Maximo

I don't know what you've been observing, but just very recently the GAF GOTY results showed Nintendo exclusives in the top 3 spots and 4 of the top 10. I admit, those problems you've listed have been prominent since that poll, but I really don't think many people have hit even close to losing faith in the company compared to, say, 3 weeks ago.

Right but these problems are everything outside their games, I don't believe people voting for Nintendo Games and some winning GOTY is a statement to how alot of people feel about Nintendo, it just Shows they still produce Amazing games while everything else about the Company is considered extremely lacklustre, It feels like people *Suffer* through these issues just so they can play their games.

I do think some Faith has been lost lately im not saying people have completely dropped Nintendo but alot of these Problems such as the Account System have been a Issue with Nintendo for a long time and goes gone beyond the statement that has been used for years now of *Its Just Nintendo Being Nintendo*.

However by looking at Amiibo Numbers im interested in seeing how Nintendo Evolves in the next few Years, will they will Survive off the Whales or try to Reinvent themselves or at least everything OUTSIDE of their GameDevelopment.

Just was interested in a Thread Detailing in clear the issues people have with Nintendo and seeing the overall View of the Company as of late.

notworksafe

I got the cost of my 3DS order refunded but the order page said it was still good to go. I was confused about this so I emailed BB. It was actually really a good experience because I ended up getting a phone call from one of their reps and then a follow up email reviewing the call afterwards.

Figured I'd post the email here for those who were in a similar situation.

Hi (notworksafe),

Thank you for choosing Best Buy.

I understand that you have questions regarding the 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask Limited Edition. Let me look into this.

I am happy to say that your order was not cancelled and still pending release. This is unusual because you mentioned that a refund was processed on your account and yet your order is still active. We do have a lot of issues with customers calling us that their order was cancelled because of availability. For the refund, I suggest you take up this issue with your bank.

We appreciate your business. For any other concerns, you may visit our help center at www.bestbuy.com

Sincerely,
JD
Best Buy Customer Care
Reference no.XXXXXXX

Fiktion

Banned
I got the cost of my 3DS order refunded but the order page said it was still good to go. I was confused about this so I emailed BB. It was actually really a good experience because I ended up getting a phone call from one of their reps and then a follow up email reviewing the call afterwards.

It sounds like you just got a free fucking Gold N3DS XL.

I got a credit reversal from them as well. Do they usually do that? I was assuming it was because they charged me as soon as I pre-ordered and since supposedly they don't charge until the item been shipped I was thinking that was why I got that credit reversal. My pre-order is still up though.

notworksafe

I got a credit reversal from them as well. Do they usually do that? I was assuming it was because they charged me as soon as I pre-ordered and since supposedly they don't charge until the item been shipped I was thinking that was why I got that credit reversal. My pre-order is still up though.

This is the first thing I've ever preordered from them. On the phone they said this was normal if you paid with a bank/debit card, which I did.

RagnarokX

Are you sure it was refunded? The way preorders work at Best Buy is they put in a pending transaction for the full amount every other day so your bank account keeps going up and down until you pick up your purchase to check if you have the funds so that they can cancel on you if you don't. It's really really stupid and frustrating. This was especially annoying when I preordered a Wii U from them at launch and that was months of pending transactions.

Fry's sent me this email.

Dear ANDREW :

Thank you for your order #***************** .

Due to overwhelming demand or insufficient availability from our
supplier(s) we are unable to fulfill your entire order. Please note
the item(s) listed below have been removed from your order because
it is no longer available.

Fuck, fry's too? I wouldn't be surprised if we see some posters saying that there Target pre-order was cancelled.

Companies should just make it so these kind of LEs are available to anyone who makes an order within 2 or 3 days of sale/pre-order. Base the supply off of the actual demand within a couple days of announcement of sale. Maybe I'm just bitter about the Skull Kid figure being sold out within hours of being on sale while I was at work...ugh.

notworksafe

Are you sure it was refunded? The way preorders work at Best Buy is they put in a pending transaction for the full amount every other day so your bank account keeps going up and down until you pick up your purchase to check if you have the funds so that they can cancel on you if you don't. It's really really stupid and frustrating. This was especially annoying when I preordered a Wii U from them at launch and that was months of pending transactions.

I went to check my account and now neither the original debit nor the refund after show up...so I have no clue what's going on now. There's nothing showing as pending though.

Cleve

Just gonna have to wait and see what happens on Feb 13 I guess.

This is completely normal for a BB preorder. They'll place a hold on the card (which may show as a charge depending on your bank) just to confirm funds. That should clear after about 3 days, and there will be no history of it on your statement. You will be billed again the day it ships.

I've preordered a ton from bestbuy, it always happens that way.

Thoraxes

And you know that how?

It's a fact that Best Buy sold more preorders than they were given stock for.

This thread and the cancellation emails are more than enough to prove that.

It also means that Best Buy jumped the gun before having any conclusive numbers.

npa189

So do we think this is rarer than the Pikachu XLs? as far as I know those are the most limited in NA, a buddy got one though an amazing stroke of luck. I know that portable LEs are crazy rare, but this seems ridiculous.

NIGHT-

So do we think this is rarer than the Pikachu XLs? as far as I know those are the most limited in NA, a buddy got one though an amazing stroke of luck. I know that portable LEs are crazy rare, but this seems ridiculous.

I gave my sister mine, without knowing how rare it is lol

Top Bottom