• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda is being extremely shady about The Evil Within's PC framerate

nbthedude

Here's the thing, is that it's a Bethesda game. This isn't some random Japanese developer saying "I'll try a PC version".

I want this game as much as anyone, 30 or 60 but enough is enough. Quit trying to deceive people and give us a damn answer. If people want (and rightly expect) 60fps on PC, it needs to be said now. This is Bethesda acting like scum and if it wasn't a Mikami game I'd be skipping it.
I'm not defending Bethesda's shady non-answers, but it does seem that this being Id tech and designed by Japanese (console centric) developers are genuinely part of what make unlocked frame rates more complicated than most scenarios.

I got this for $37.50 from Greenman Gaming. PS4 version is $60 and I'm pretty damn sure even god himself couldn't stop my 780 amd I7 from running this as good if not better on my PC. The good thing about the (continued) power gap between consoles and PC is that even when games are poorly optimized, modern PC processors and GPUs can brute force that shit.

It's funny that you link to that great article about pc standards, where the author gives a reasonable example why a developer might framelock a pc port to 30 fps other than 'lazy dev'. It's worth pointing out.

nbthedude

Pretty sure? It would have to be one terrible port.
Yeah, that's my point. You guys are fighting the good fight trying to assure better PC graphics options but for me it's PC no matter what for this game because no way in hell my PS4 would run it better.

I'm not defending Bethesda's shady non-answers, but it does seem that this being Id tech and designed by Japanese (console centric) developers are genuinely part of what make unlocked frame rates more complicated than most scenarios.

I got this for $37.50 from Greenman Gaming. PS4 version is $60 and I'm pretty damn sure even god himself couldn't stop my 780 amd I7 from running this as good if not better on my PC. The good thing about the (continued) power gap between consoles and PC is that even when games are poorly optimized, modern PC processors and GPUs can brute force that shit.
So long as we can see eye to eye that Bethesda is ultimately being shady :)

I'm just tired of being ignored, a simple yes or no would temper my expectations.

Grief.exe

OP you should try to send a PM to gstaff, hopefully he will be able to respond before launch

I did earlier this evening, and he is also the administrator of the @Bethblog account.

He's one of the reasons I originally noticed Bethesda's refusal to acknowledge this issue.

It's funny that you link to that great article about pc standards, where the author gives a reasonable example why a developer might framelock a pc port to 30 fps other than 'lazy dev'. It's worth pointing out.

The reference there was in existing games that are ported to the PC later, where it may be too expensive to justify rewriting much of the game to attain 60 FPS.

Durante referenced new game developments as relatively simple to account for unlocked framerates.

When setting out to develop a new game, making the decision to support variable framerates does not impose much effort. However, porting an existing game may present difficulties: in some old games animations or even game logic may be frame-locked, and even in modern games some physics simulations might break with time step lengths which differ greatly from what they were tested and developed with.

Grief.exe

Worse comes to worse, PC guys I have one word for you that means you should still play this on PC:

GeDoSato

Evil Within is a 64 bit, DX11 process which I believe creates compatibility issues with gedosato

Of course, I am not that familiar with the application or its updates.

nbthedude

I still want this game to do well and hope people reward the day and date PC release however all you frame rate peeps should check Alien Isolation.

It's got the looks and the triple digits you crave.

Also, poor Sega needs help. :(

I did earlier this evening, and he is also the administrator of the @Bethblog account.

He's one of the reasons I originally noticed Bethesda's refusal to acknowledge this issue.

The reference there was in existing games that are ported to the PC later, where it may be too expensive to justify rewriting much of the game to attain 60 FPS.

Durante referenced new game developments as relatively simple to account for unlocked framerates.
You are correct good sir. I should have read more closely.

Daingurse

This is very disappointing. It honestly wouldn't stop me from playing it, if I wanted to play it. I would use a gamepad and crank up the DSR res to compensate for the lower fps. But this is unacceptable for the platform. 30fps on a mouse feels horrid, that's the default input method.

I can't pre-order a game like this. Not If I don't even know it's going to be a competent port.

It's sad because I'm a really big fan of Mikami.

I still want this game to do well and hope people reward the day and date PC release however all you frame rate peeps should check Alien Isolation.

It's got the looks and the triple digits you crave.

Also, poor Sega needs help. :(
I did my part!

I won it in a modbot raffle

nbthedude

He unlocked the shit out of dark souls.
Durante can save us. I have money ready to donate to the cause again just like I did to his previous efforts.Throw up a Bat signal.

...Or better yet, get Bethesda to toss him early code, a fat check and a pile of caffeine. He has a full week. :)

How much amazing PR would that get them? If I were at Bethesda that's totally what I would do. The press they'd get alone would sell them extra copies to make it worth it.

Omega

Banned
It's 30FPS.

Might as well request your refunds now. You don't dodge a simple ass question like that and reply with "I don't understand"

Either that dude is a complete fucking idiot or he's not allowed to answer. The gaming industry has shown time and time again it will try to lie it's why past gamers, despite it never working so my money is on the latter.

What's wrong with that?

I was interested in Dead Rising 3 on Steam but found out the performance isn't too great so I passed.

Same. If you support shit port jobs, you will continue to get shit port jobs. I'll rent it on PS4 before giving them full asking price on PC if they fucked up like this.

It's 30FPS.

Might as well request your refunds now. You don't dodge a simple ass question like that and reply with "I don't understand"

Either that dude is a complete fucking idiot or he's not allowed to answer. The gaming industry has shown time and time again it will try to lie it's why past gamers, despite it never working so my money is on the latter.

Yep. It's either this guy is a fucking idiot who is making a minor controversy out of nothing, or it's 30FPS. 30FPS seems slightly more likely.

legacyzero

Banned
It's 30FPS.

Yeah, I thought that response was puzzling. The question was pretty fucking straight forward.

30fps can't give a solid experience.

Cmon, that's excessive. I'm sure there's a game that you enjoy that's at 30 or lower. I'm all for this debate, and not locking it to 30 on PC, but that's over the top.

Nethaniah

Cmon, that's excessive. I'm sure there's a game that you enjoy that's at 30 or lower. I'm all for this debate, and not locking it to 30 on PC, but that's over the top.

Maybe if i played all my games on a tv with a controller i might have a different opinion but i don't, 30fps on a 120hz monitor looks like shit and mouse controls @ that framerate aren't any better.

Mechazawa

Given how poorly Zenimax has been about releasing proper PC specs, it wouldn't surprise me if this is just another case of their PR people being totally incompetent.

~Kinggi~

Banned
After Rage that engine was dead to me, what was Carmack thinking?

Rage on consoles was actually impressive as all hell, but it marked a really stark focus change from PC to consoles, especially with the AMD clusterfuck driver thing.

ID5 could have actually been great in the console space if they actually released a bunch of games for the 360 gen.

Top Bottom