• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda now has 180 staff members, up from 108 circa Fallout 4's release

xviper

they have to work very hard on that Fallout sequel especially after what happened with Fallout 4's hype

Sendero

They've always been like this. I think ~30 people made Morrowind?
Damn, that's quite impressive if true.

(By the time Skyrim started, they had far more and better tools to speed up the creation work -nevermind the accumulated experience with Netimmerse engine-, so 100 does not sound bad)

Koh

Sitting on hot multi-million selling IP is silly if you ask me. I'm shocked that someone hasn't eaten their lunch yet like what happened to borderlands.

You don't need yearly releases obviously, but potentially a decade between games is a long time.

Get those teams going!

Sitting on hot multi-million selling IP is silly if you ask me. I'm shocked that someone hasn't eaten their lunch yet like what happened to borderlands.

You don't need yearly releases obviously, but potentially a decade between games is a long time.

Get those teams going!

Elder Scrolls 6 probably started pre-prod after Skyrim finished. The fact people think they're "sitting" on it is crazy.

Those games wouldn't be what they are without being in the oven for as long as they do. There are tons of games to play, I see no issue doing ES - FO - ES etc etc every 3-4 years.

Some Nobody

Elder Scrolls 6 probably started pre-prod after Skyrim finished. The fact people think they're "sitting" on it is crazy.

Those games wouldn't be what they are without being in the oven for as long as they do. There are tons of games to play, I see no issue doing ES - FO - ES etc etc every 3-4 years.

They aren't "sitting" on ES. They're working on an entirely different game. :p

Truant

Hopefully these 72 motherfuckers are working on the real hardcore mode.

a44e03_2198120.jpg

Koh

I'm taking them at their word. Repeatedly they have said they are not working on ES, and have two(?) other games in the pipe. This, to me, means 4+ years of development from once they start.

Whether I should take them at their word is a whole different topic, but it's certainly not crazy.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Hopefully they hired competent writers this time around because I would hate to see what happens to TES VI after the B's they pulled with Fallout 4.

Their next game isn't Elder Scrolls. It's likely a sci-fi RPG code named Starfield

Happy to see them upping their staff count as they desperately need it to stay competitive with modern open world RPG standards. I really hope they've either created a new engine or are using iD Tech for their future projects

Zedark

Here's hoping they can bring their games out at a much faster pace now. I don't want to wait 12 years for TESVI :(

Zukkoyaki

Kind of shows how inefficient a lot of AAA developers are with their man-power when Bethesda's team of 100 can crank out Skyrim DLC and Fallout 4 in just four years. Compare that to Ubisoft or Activision's 300+ man teams that take just as long to make their games that really aren't any bigger.

I'm no developer but I've long felt that more people on a project doesn't necessarily speed up or improve it.

Two Words

Kind of shows how inefficient a lot of AAA developers are with their man-power when Bethesda's team of 100 can crank out Skyrim DLC and Fallout 4 in just four years. Compare that to Ubisoft or Activision's 300+ man teams that take just as long to make their games that really aren't any bigger.

I'm no developer but I've long felt that more people on a project doesn't necessarily speed up or improve it.
Bethesda's asset generation is pathetic in comparison.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout are main in house franchises for Bethesda. People seem to love Fallout NV much more than games made by Bethesda. If this trend continues, it may not be good for them in long run. I doubt Bethesda will allow third party studios to work on their main franchises as long as they are making it internally.

hydruxo

I absolutely love Bethesda RPGs (even Fallout 4) but they really do need to put in way more effort in improving their tech. The bar for RPGs keeps getting raised by other devs and Bethesda is getting left in the dust.

AEdouard

They really should have hired more people, and way earlier, to rework that ancient engine. Fallout 4 is the last time they could get away with bugs all over the place, really crappy animation and textures and loading screens all over. And even then they didn't reallyvget away with it. F4 got around 84 on metacritic while Skyrim got over 90%. If F4 looked and played like a game from 2015, it would have gotten much better reviews. They can't do that with the next elder scrolls or their sales and critical reputation will tank.

I don't want a sequel to Skyrim in 2019 that looks worse than the 2015 Witcher 3 ffs.

Mivey

Please hire enough people to redo the entire engine from scratch - thats literally the biggest issue. Once that's solid everything else will fall into place.

https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/905

Hire more of these. As many as needed to get it done for Elder Scrolls VI
Never, their engine is going to survive mankind. They will laser burn the source-code into diamonds and a million years from now an alien race will find it and think its some sort of religious artefact.

Wow only 100 people making massive games like Fallout and Skyrim?

This explains why the games are so buggy. there is no way they have enough QA engineers.

Yup, this is an insanely small team, considering the general size of modern game studios. I'd imagine a standard team on a AAA title the size/popularity of Skyrim, would more generally be closer to 200-300 people.

I'm very curious what the actual budget of Skyrim or even oblivion was. I wouldn't be surprised if the development itself didn't cost more than $40,000,000, and Marketing took up the majority of the cost.

Top Bottom