• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozza

I'd be excited if it was on a better system. Playing at 540p with frame dips below 30 fps using the shittiest controller ever designed on an overpriced piece of gimmick hardware is a shame. Metroid deserves better.
Up to now Metroid has been a pretty poor seller, very surprised Nintendo are putting out a new 2-D and Prime game to be honest, but I guess with the Switch's awesome sales ratio these games have the potential to be the best selling in the series so far.

Last edited:

Mozza

I love the Switch and still agree with this take on it.
Well seeing as nobody has seen anything of Metroid Prime 4 yet it's a little early to judge it's graphics or frame rates, and the pro controller is pretty awesome too, so I can't agree with his comment, as there is no evidence as yet to back it up, for all we know the game could end up being released on the Switch's successor.

Last edited:

bit_blaster

Neo Member
Up to now Metroid has been a pretty poor seller, very surprised Nintendo are putting out a new 2-D and Prime game to be honest, but I guess with the Switch's awesome sales ratio these games have the potential to be the best selling in the series so far.

So basically the Switch is a gimmick because you do not personally like it, sounds a very reasonable and level headed. ;)
Metroid has always been Nintendo's most hardcore series, its not as accessible for kids and casuals compared to Mario or Zelda, especially if were talking the Prime games. The scarcity of the games and the poor marketing also didn't help as much I imagine.

daveonezero

Banned
I'd be excited if it was on a better system. Playing at 540p with frame dips below 30 fps using the shittiest controller ever designed on an overpriced piece of gimmick hardware is a shame. Metroid deserves better.
Is that official? The game runs at 540p@30fps?

also I have a pro controller.

NSW had a decent Q1, only 1.2m down on the first quarter of last year but more than double of any other Q1. I expect around 5m in Q2 which although huge would be around 2m down on last years record breaking 6.86m Q2. Expect the doom and gloom articles saying "NSW 30% down year on year" and "NSW sales fade" etc. In reality last year was going to be really hard to match for Q1 & Q2 and NSW will still have it's second strongest year with a much better Q3 line up and a hardware revision with the Oled model. I think Nintendo will just about hit their 25.50m Fiscal year forecast.

CQIsANE.png

Last edited:

Mozza

NSW had a decent Q1, only 1.2m down on the first quarter of last year but more than double of any other Q1. I expect around 5m in Q2 which although huge would be around 2m down on last years record breaking 6.86m Q2. Expect the doom and gloom articles saying "NSW 30% down year on year" and "NSW sales fade" etc. In reality last year was going to be really hard to match for Q1 & Q2 and NSW will still have it's second strongest year with a much better Q3 line up and a hardware revision with the Oled model. I think Nintendo will just about hit their 25.50m Fiscal year forecast.

CQIsANE.png
Exactly, people think sales will fall off a cliff just because they did not repeat last years record braking first quarter, when only the Wii and DS managed sales figures like that.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned

CQIsANE.png
I don't believe a competing device (non Nintendo made), handheld or home console, has ever sold 4.45 million units in the first fiscal quarter.

Last edited:
I don't believe a competing device (non Nintendo made), handheld or home console, has ever sold 4.45 million units in the first fiscal quarter.
There's an outside chance that PS1 or PS2 did in their peak year but back then Sony Didn't announce quarterly sales only yearly. Of the Data we do have the PS4 sold 4.20m in Q2 FY 2017-18 which stands as the most sold in a non holiday quarter for any non-Nintendo platform. Here's a stat, only 13 times has a platform sold 5 million or more in a non-holiday quarter and 9 of them are for NDS, 2 for WII and 2 for NSW.

killatopak

Gold Member
Looking back at my comments, how wrong I was.

This thread really is a product of its time. With Wii U doing bad and 3DS doing worse than the DS and with the price being higher than the 3DS, I really thought it was a disaster in waiting but the software pulled through.

Last edited:
Oops it says PS4 at the bottom instead of Wii, here it is corrected. This shows just how strong the Switch is selling compared to Wii in year 5.

34fl5yE.png

Last edited:

Closer

Mozza

Nintendo have just revealed it's latest financial figures and the Nintendo Switch has no sold 92.87 million units, the console now has the Wii firmly in it's sights, and from then on who knows, Nintendo did cite the global semi conductor shortage which is causing shortages of all the video game consoles, as a bit of a challenge.

Last edited:

tkscz

Oops it says PS4 at the bottom instead of Wii, here it is corrected. This shows just how strong the Switch is selling compared to Wii in year 5.

IubIwza.png
e7474c_62c73c1e26ee4cf690afb4ccf0ed3750~mv2.jpg

Switch has those strong legs and even without the quartine boom would've outpaced the Wii. The Wii peaked way too quickly and saw that hard drop, but it was a system based around one thing and once the commodity was over, so was the Wii.

carlosrox

Banned
I almost forget Nintendo shit sells like crazy during the holidays so I thought that 92 million was looking a bit low. That number will look very different in just two month's time.

I almost forget Nintendo shit sells like crazy during the holidays so I thought that 92 million was looking a bit low. That number will look very different in just two month's time.
I'm thinking another 11.5m holiday quarter maybe even 11.75m. As for software i think they can shift between 80 to 90 million with Poke'mon and Mario Party giving software a decent boost over last years holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom