• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is true, but it doesn't stop us from hypothesizing and sharing our "can't miss" plans. That's half the fun of a video game forum.
The other half is laughing at how wrong they are.

Remember when the PS Vita TV was going to be an absolute smash hit and sell tens of millions a year? Remember when the Vita was going to kill the 3DS and put nintendo out of business? Some amazing threads were had about those and how they're going to destroy all lol.

Mozza

So it should pass PS4 in total sales this year? Or early 2023?
I think if Nintendo can make enough consoles, and the New Switch does not hit until 2025, then there is no reason why it can't get pretty close to this, will be interesting to see how the Switch has performed over the holiday period, but guessing it must be at 100 million or so by now.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think if Nintendo can make enough consoles, and the New Switch does not hit until 2025, then there is no reason why it can't get pretty close to this, will be interesting to see how the Switch has performed over the holiday period, but guessing it must be at 100 million or so by now.
I think you’re thinking of the PS2. The PS4 will be passed within the next 12 months max. The PS2 is looking likely to be passed in 2024 at this rate.

Last edited:

Unk Adams

Banned
The other half is laughing at how wrong they are.

Remember when the PS Vita TV was going to be an absolute smash hit and sell tens of millions a year? Remember when the Vita was going to kill the 3DS and put nintendo out of business? Some amazing threads were had about those and how they're going to destroy all lol.
Back in 2001 you had people saying the Gamecube would be Nintendo's last console and no one wants "kiddy" games like Mario and Super Smash Bros. anymore. I also had someone completely flip out on me on a gaming forum back in 2004 because I told them that the original DS was going to be a hit. They called me an "idiot with bad taste" because according to them no one wanted "low quality 3D games and N64 ports" and that 2D gaming is outdated.

For some reason you also have these types of people who think their own personal taste is objective and that everyone else has to (and will) agree with them on anything (or else they're idiots who are going to be wrong).

Last edited:

Mozza

You say that like even Nintendo expected the Switch to sell 100 million.
Well the 3DS and Wii U sold around 90 million units between them, and this was a pretty weak generation, with all the effort they put into the Switch marketing 100 million would have been a minimum for them imho.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well the 3DS and Wii sold around 90 million units between them, and this was a pretty weak generation, with all the effort they put into the Switch marketing 100 million would have been a minimum for them imho.
The Wii sold over a hundred million by itself. Do you mean the Wii U?

dcmk7

Banned
It's crazy the X1 is considered a 'failure' and it outsold the SNES also its pretty cool how Nintendo got a complete mulligan on the WiiU. It's like it never existed.

On topic it's clear no one really thought the Switch would be as successful as it is. Perhaps power isn't the most important metric in a console. Maybe the XSS has a chance too.
Comparing XBone sales to SNES? Maybe you don't understand.. but the industry has grown exponentially since those times. Makes any comparison look utterly daft.

Just looking at the above graph Xbox One lost nearly 50% of the install base it had compared to the Xbox 360. That's pretty damning, but you consider that not a 'failure'? Ok then :messenger_grinning_smiling:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Comparing XBone sales to SNES? Maybe you don't understand.. but the industry has grown exponentially since those times. Makes any comparison look utterly daft.

Just looking at the above graph Xbox One lost nearly 50% of the install base it had compared to the Xbox 360. That's pretty damning, but you consider that not a 'failure'? Ok then :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I take it you consider the PS3 a giant failure too then, right?

Mozza

It has not though, the core market is around 180 million consoles, has been for generations now, if you add the Wii/3DS Wii U/Switch numbers each generation it has increased, but not the same market I am afraid.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
It has not though, the core market is around 180 million consoles, has been for generations now, if you add the Wii/3DS Wii U/Switch numbers each generation it has increased, but not the same market I am afraid.
I'm a bit confused here.. the market hasn't grown since SNES times? Why would you think that?

buenoblue

I still feel that compared to the dual system of Wii and Ds which sold 250 mill combined, Nintendo have made a mistake. Even 3ds and wiiu combined sold 90 million which is not that far of switch. Switch has been a success no doubt but compared to that dual home and handheld market Nintendo are missing sales.

Mozza

I'm a bit confused here.. the market hasn't grown since SNES times? Why would you think that?
No I am saying the core market has not grown since the PS2 generation, and has been around 160 - 180 million consoles every generation, did not see the SNES in your post, as it's a given the market increased from that point in time.

Last edited:

tonyhh

Neo Member
I still feel that compared to the dual system of Wii and Ds which sold 250 mill combined, Nintendo have made a mistake. Even 3ds and wiiu combined sold 90 million which is not that far of switch. Switch has been a success no doubt but compared to that dual home and handheld market Nintendo are missing sales.

the Switch alone has beaten the peak profits Nintendo saw with both the wii and ds together. It was definitely not a mistake.

Last edited:

Mozza

Looks like the Switch has passed the Wii in terms of hardware sales, this needs to be confirmed by Nintendo but after the traditionally strong Holiday period it looks like the big N were able to sell enough to pass the latest milestone, and a new benchmark as the Nintendo Wii was an amazing sales success for Nintendo, and one that looked totally out of reach with their less than stellar performing Wii U console. The Wikipedia best selling consoles list has also been updated where the Switch now sits in sixth position, so who knows how far it will go.

As I said no major sites reporting on this as yet, but it can't be long.

Mozza

I wondered how long it would take before someone brought up the Wii/DS generation, this was pretty much lightning in a bottle, two new techs in their infancy in the home markets, touch controls on the DS and motion for the Wii, anybody could see the casual nature of these audiences, and those customers were simply not around then the next generation came along with the Wii U and 3DS, and as you said sold 90 million combined.

Also the dedicated handheld market has been in decline, this is due to tablet devices and smart phones, the drop from the DS is stark, as was the Wii To Wii U, hell even Sony realized there was no market for them in the dedicated handheld space after the Vita.

So you have to consider the extra costs of developing two individual consoles, and the fact both will have product revisions at some point, more so on a handheld type device, so Nintendo have not only sold more hardware units than the Wii U and 3DS, they has saved a fortune just developing one system, far from a mistake in my book.

Last edited:

lachesis

I don't really get why people are saying price is too high for a launch console.
Yes 299 isn't exactly cheap, but Nintendo is selling 3ds xl for 200 bucks.

Of course other home consoles have similar price (and more powerful performance to boot at base level, most likely) - but Switch also has capabilities that none of the others have - true portability.

Pro controller and all the accessories seem way too expensive, but heck, it's accessories, not a must-have. (crossing my fingers on ergonomics..) - but having so, 299 price isn't that bad IMO.

I was wondering what I wrote back in 2017... lol.
I still feel the same - but the current situation & inflation, almost makes me feel like 299 is a bargain price... Yikes.

Mozza

I was wondering what I wrote back in 2017... lol.
I still feel the same - but the current situation & inflation, almost makes me feel like 299 is a bargain price... Yikes.
I guess the correct price is only ever going to be as much as people are willing to pay, and love it or hate it Nintendo seem to have it pitched perfectly.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
To be fair to everyone on the original thread, Breath of the Wild hadn't dropped yet, and few could anticipate what a monumental game it would be. I can scarcely think of any system seller on that level in the past decade, and the additional Wii U version didn't really matter due to its install base.

daclynk

So official confirmation from Nintendo's financial report, the Nintendo Switch has now sold 103.54 million consoles worldwide, and has now surpassed both the Wii and original Playstation milestones, an awesome feat by any metric and a great nod towards Nintendo doing things their own unique way. :)
but Gaf told me it was going to fail hard.

I remember watching the e3 announcement and reacting like the lawyer from Jurassic Park when they first see the dinosaurs I.e.‘they’re gonna make a fortune out of this thing’ … then Iread the comments on here and elsewhere and felt like I must be insane

Mozza

And the head coach of the Detroit Lions will say they expect to compete for a Super Bowl championship next season. No one thinks he actually believes that.
But still did not get the dead on arrival comments, as even with the Wii U and 3DS generation Nintendo sold around 89 million consoles, so if you consider Nintendo were combining both their markets you had to expect around this amount, hell even a Pokemon game is bound to get you around 25 million sales.

Last edited:
GoyXFQE.png

Last edited:

Deerock71

And the head coach of the Detroit Lions will say they expect to compete for a Super Bowl championship next season. No one thinks he actually believes that.
Well there's what he said...and endless speculation about what he was thinking when he said it. Personally, I think he was thinking about whether or not he wanted wasabi on his spring rolls for lunch, or if that was too heavy for that time of day.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Just imagine where Nintendo Switch sales would be if they were able to manufacture enough to go around. It's amazing that they're still so hard to find on store shelves after all this time.

daclynk

yeah its been 5yrs and still people are SALTY. lots more years in the system. Games software are selling like crazy. Now NINTENDO bring back my games. F-Zero, Golden Sun, Wave Race all has a chance now.

Mozza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom