• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they'll have slightly higher sales than Wii U, but that price is a crippler. And as fun as 1 2 Switch and Arms look, the fact that none of them are pack-ins means they can't expect a similar phenomenon to Wii. It's a mistake to not include 1 2 Switch in the box.

First Nintendo console I won't be getting at launch.

LordKano

Nintendoomed lol... actually is it?

The $299 models are almost sold out online less than 12 hours after start of sales.... thats only a few weeks quicker than it took for the ps4 for what it is worth..

It doesn't really mean anything. Launch sales numbers will probably be good, that's what's following that is problematic.

MoonFrog

My main fear right now is it seems that some of Japan development scene has turned on to Switch but it is too late, i.e. Nintendo bungled third party relations when they're sitting on something with promise. SMT seemed far off. Sega had nothing to say. Octopath looked cool but DQ has been more Nintendo bullish for generations now and I don't take it being there to say much. In the background 3DS support continues. Where was Monster Hunter? Where was gained multi platform support?

I guess the way it seems is developers were counting Nintendo out and transitioning to PS4 despite its weakness in Japan from Vita and even (more slowly, Switch seems to be cutting this off atm but it seems it was underway from rumors) 3DS. Nintendo should've been laying the groundwork for Switch earlier on. But that's not Nintendo.

I think Switch's ceiling is 60 million and its floor is like 15-25 million. Right now I'm feeling it'll hit closer to its floor.

HardRojo

For the record, I think this thread would be identical to this if it was $250 and Splatoon and Smash were at launch.
That's because when the $300 price tag was revealed people thought that'd be one of the only 2 or 3 issues, turns out there were more issues than that.

Papacheeks

Banned

The $299 models are almost sold out online less than 12 hours after start of sales.... thats only a few weeks quicker than it took for the ps4 for what it is worth..

You do know because it's a world wide launch right? That's why they have less consoles to sell to larger amount of people wanting to buy them equals selling out quicker.

PS4 did not do world wide release in November, they released in certain territories then released later in Japan along with other territories.

Honestly I am a little bit worried about it. I will have a rough start that's for sure. Hardware prices are steep

But I remain positively confident that the library of the switch will turn it around in no time. The library is poised to increase impressively as 2017 goes along

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I see it being a 3DS type of situation. Stumbles out the gate, suffers some early software droughts, starts picking up when Animal Crossing and Pokemon hit.

Begins to make real solid gains when they put out a Switch Mini with a more portable-focused form factor.

Probably won't eclipse the 3DS, but it'll end up more along those lines than Wii U.

MaDKaT

Ummm..... with all the news Ive been catching up on I am inclined to say no. Price is one thing but it really just seems like Nintendo isnt ready. Maybe they can recover but Im not going to hold my breath. I was cautiously excited and planning to be there day 1 but with everything Ive read so far, Ill revisit next year. Maybe by then the games library will be beefed up and price has come down.

You do know because it's a world wide launch right? That's why they have less consoles to sell to larger amount of people wanting to buy them equals selling out quicker.

PS4 did not do world wide release in November, they released in certain territories then released later in Japan along with other territories.

I understand... but 2 million in 24 hours vs 4 in a few months...

Lets just see where we are in 6 months..

Gaf knows nothing. Pretty much everybody chiming in here is biased either pro or against Nintendo.

I'm very biased for Nintendo, but also live in the real world. I honestly think no one can predict what the Switch will be. It's the first of it's kind in the mainstream. I'm very excited though, as I love my Nintendo handhelds, and playing an epic 3D Zelda on the go is going to be fucking amazing.

Hindl

Gamestop Has Already Sold Out Their Wii U “Deluxe” Pre-Orders

Nintendo revealed their plans for the U.S. launch of the Wii U at a press event on Thursday. Gamestop and other retailers began taking pre-orders for console bundles shortly after the event. Since the Deluxe version sold out in less than 72 hours, it seems fair to assume that it’s only a matter of time before Gamestop runs out of basic bundles as well. Gamestop employees were unsure of how long stores would have to wait before getting restocked after launch.

Preorders for a console selling out means nothing

TI82

Banned
Should have had Mass effect Andromeda since that's launching around the same time. But third parties are still a no.

I agree, but there's already 50+ million of those households that already have a PS4/X1.
I don't see how that's relevant, since the PS4/X1 should have fine legs and room for growth still, but fine.

Then we get into a discussion of how many of those 50+ million households want a secondary console. I doubt it's that high of a number.

kikonawa

No.

It has a terrible price and the library (future as well) is abysmal.

They will be in a terrible spot if they don't react after the initial launch hype dies down. I'll say it's gonna plummet after the first few sales.

what he said.
its a compromise for portable and home console, but master at none

Cess007

The hype sure deflated with the presentation...

Can't you blame people? It was an horrible presentation except for Mario and Zelda. Add that the paid online service, and overpriced controls/accessories and you can't see why the hype died for a lot of people

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just seen the paltry launch line-up of 5 games and it had me thinking back to the N64's launch here in Europe, 20 years before the Switch launch. I remember it having a barren launch line-up and a sever game drought in it's first year.

But the N64 launched with Mario 64, Pilotwings and Waverace. Within a few months we had Blast Corps, ISS 64, Mario Kart 64 and Lylat Wars (that's right, I used it's proper title). Before the end of the year we had GoldenEye and Diddy Kong Racing.

Standards have really changed, the N64's first year was considered a joke at the time, the Switch would kill to have a first year half as good.

Sydle

It's not going to be another Wii-like success, but I could see it being another 3DS story. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it sell around 50 million lifetime if they can get out the right games in short order and drop the price much closer to $199 in the next 24 months.

It's screwed initially. Zelda isn't even the draw it should be because it's on the U as well. The line-up for the year is so sparse they're mentioning a Street Fighter II port. Not IV... but II.

Once again, they'll likely start the VC from scratch, doing themselves out of having hundreds of classic titles ready to go to ease the pain of the slow first year.

Oh, and the pricing is appalling for yet another underpowered Nintendo machine. And hahahahahaha paid-for Nintendo online.

It's a shame, the original reveal had me genuinely excited for this.

Maybe if they lower the price of everything for Xmas and the Mario release...

liquidtmd

Banned
For what it's worth I think if they had Mario Odessey ready for launch, been $50 lower and the Online subs message has been much better than 'lol have a free NES or SNES game for a month', GAFs overall hype-ometer would be beating a lot louder.

Switch should have been the same software architecture able to run on a more powerful home console and a portable. In the way I can buy an iOS game and have it play well depending on the device I'm using.

One software, 2 hardware and cloud saves for transferring or saves on the game card.

opposed to questioning it without giving any refuting arguement ... well yes.. yes I do
The Wii U and Xbox one did great with pre orders and initial launch sales. The question is for how long.
People don't want to keep buying accessories to be able to play games. No people don't want to pay extra money to get a memory card for their $300 console. Much less for their much inferior online infrastructure compared to Xbox live and psn.

A success? Meaning will it be profitable? Yes. Yes it will.
Just because they don't sell the hardware for a loss doesn't mean the Switch will be profitable. There are salaries to pay. Marketing costs money. HD game development costs millions. R&D. Probably other things I'm missing too. If the margin is $50 (pulling this number out of my ass) but it sells horrible who cares?

Although I agree launch lineup, third-party support and specs looks lackluster, there's a lot of cynicism here. This won't be a Wii U 2 situation, Nintendo is doing a good job in advertising the machine and there's no confusion about what it is like Wii U. Hell, despite being reliant on Zelda, it's a far better bet to sell the system at launch than Nintendoland and NSMB U, two games clearly targeted at casuals. Not to mention now Nintendo will dedicate their full efforts into it, as both console and handheld division were merged into one, expect it to have the same dedication that Nintendo gave for their portable systems, which were they focus, as Iwata administration became more and more portable driven.

There won't be a split of support, something that caused many droughts and plagued Nintendo consoles for generations because they didn't had enough man power to support both systems. Now this problem seems gone.

The really problem here it was the over secrecy Nintendo went through these last years about Switch. That was unnecessary and how badly they made the presentation indicated they were trying to hide something or dodge the heat of what's wrong for the last minute. Many Nintendo devs projects are MIA and with the over secrecy there was expectations everything would be revealed at once. I think Nintendo is having a really hard time to adapt themselves to modern technology as their were too much portable focused and skipped a whole hardware generation with Wii, a mistake they are now struggling to reverse.

I thought the presentation was very well done! I'm just not sure about the pricing up here in Canada. During the presentation they said - or I thought the said - $299 in North America, so I was kind of like that is an alright price. I checked Best Buy this morning, and it is retailing for $399.99. That's more expensive than I paid for my PlayStation 4 Slim with Uncharted 4!

Regardless of the pricing issue, I think the hardware looks well designed and I think they executed on their vision of a portable home console very well. It remains to be seen how the broader market will respond to the software available as well as the pricing.

Crayon

I can't say. The two most important factors still aren't clear. Is the hardware and api capable of making 3rd party games and easy port with low pc settings? And if so will 3rd parties get on board?

joecanada

every launch console sells out. means nothing unless you are offering number of units shipped to retailiers??

I expect the first few NPD's Switch sells quite well and some people start serving crow a bit early then a moderate drop followed by a holiday rise, then right about FEB 2018, the dog days set in and unless there are massive game releases, it settles in to a fairly meh realm of sales............ I am most interested in the first few NPD's not the sales but the percent drop from month to month.

However I do think they can get some 3ds and some Wiiu fans so combining those fan bases I think it will do better than WiiU.....

50-60 million lifetime.

JJH

Nintendo couldn't pay me to use their current online ecosystem, now they're charging? A "free" SNES or NES ROM isn't going to cut it.

The Wii U and Xbox one did great with pre orders and initial launch sales. The question is for how long.
People don't want to keep buying accessories to be able to play games. No people don't want to pay extra money to get a memory card for their $300 console. Much less for their much inferior online infrastructure compared to Xbox live and psn.

the online part is probably the worse news of it all... as the games will come out and the prices will come down

hopefully they react to the online strategy

krazen

opposed to questioning it without giving any refuting arguement ... well yes.. yes I do

Refuting arguments:
1)EXTREMELY LOW SUPPLY CHAIN thus its not hard to sell out when you only make 3 of them per retail location, lol.

2)the bulk of console releases sell out of pre-orders...even consoles that ended up ultimately failing...for example the Wii U.

every launch console sells out. means nothing unless you are offering number of units shipped to retailiers??

I expect the first few NPD's Switch sells quite well and some people start serving crow a bit early then a moderate drop followed by a holiday rise, then right about FEB 2018, the dog days set in and unless there are massive game releases, it settles in to a fairly meh realm of sales............ I am most interested in the first few NPD's not the sales but the percent drop from month to month.

However I do think they can get some 3ds and some Wiiu fans so combining those fan bases I think it will do better than WiiU.....

50-60 million lifetime.

Thats not bad though.. Who is really expecting it to catch wii sales??

60 milllion.. is what nes or snes numbers thats pretty respectable.

HeelPower

I dont think so.

The competition offers so much more for less.By basic logic,the switch shouldn't be a success.

Maybe it will somehow catch on and everyone will grow obsessed with it for no clear reason.

The 3DS and Vita weren't also home consoles. I think that, and the fact that it has 2 controllers out of the box will help it appeal to families. It's pretty cool that you can buy the system and Mario Kart and instantly have a multiplayer setup that works both in a car and on your TV.

Now, will people actually buy that when they already have tablets and smartphones? Idk...

That puts Nintendo in a tougher spot because they are trying to serve two markets. It's the same issue with the Wii U, where they tried to have one foot in with the casuals and one foot in with the core and ended up unable to serve either side adequately. The Switch could be too expensive for the kids and handheld market and not powerful or diverse enough for the core console gamers. Yeah they have the "but it's a portable AND a console" gimmick to fall back on, but how huge of a market does that kind of crossover represent?

You realize that

A. Scalpers exist

and

B. Wii U sold out online quickly as well because early adopter fans will buy anything from them no questions asked

I wouldn't try to draw the comparison that online preorders = success

Refuting arguments:
1)EXTREMELY LOW SUPPLY CHAIN thus its not hard to sell out when you only make 3 of them per retail location, lol.

2)the bulk of console releases sell out of pre-orders...even consoles that ended up ultimately failing...for example the Wii U.

where have you read that there are only 3 available....

Also it is not the fact that it is selling out it is the fact of how quick..

To focus the question in the OP a bit more, do folks have specific predictions about exactly when/how this chart (Amazon's current 'Best Sellers in Video Games' Chart) will change, over time?

What will this chart look like a few days from now? What will it look like a few weeks from now?
Is that so? My understanding is that pre-orders were open for some time, long enough to sell through the quantities that were available for pre-order, and to thereby make an impact on the chart. Is that incorrect?

If it's correct, the question would be, simply: how long, exactly, do you expect this to last? And when exactly would you expect the Switch to come back down to Earth (as measured by this particular chart)?

Games and accessories are available to preorder on amazon but the system was not and Nintendo lists only Gamestop, target, and best buy on their site for where to preorder right this minute.

ALso had the amazon site open on the switch page all night and it never changed over to preorder.
Hmm, plenty of folks in that thread are reporting that they were able to successfully pre-order the system through Amazon:
So I'm pre-ordering this on Amazon for a friend who asked me to do this for him. He told me he won't have internet access for a few weeks. So I placed a pre-order on Amazon. The website says my order has been placed and I have an order number. So do I have a Switch pre-ordered now? This all feels way too easy

And got. Thanks.

Thanks. I can cancel my Best Buy order now. May even cancel this one. I'm so conflicted right now.

Got it and I had a giftcard I didn't know about so $229.99 Switch!

Limit 1 per account. Smart move. Scalpers am cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom