• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of Gaf, people seem pretty excited about it so I think it'll do good.
What most seem to forget is that it's also going to be the successor of the 3DS.
This will be the next system with Pokemon. It'll do just fine.

But its too expensive to succeed the 3DS and likely will be for almost another 2 years (at least in the UK it'll have to come down from £280 to below £200 for a base model). Are those users going to sit around waiting that long for the price to come down or will they simply go off to mobile and never come back?

TunaLover

I don't know, it seems the joy cons add alot to the overall price I'm sure the console will drop in price by december 2017, early adopters would bite at $300 but then you need a more mass market price (and games) to keep the system selling. But if you ask me right now, I think Nintendo has a hard sell, will see.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
It will hopefully be the last console from Nintendo.

I'm sick of their hubris and inability to learn from past mistakes.

A non existent launch line up, overpriced, lack of storage, incredibly underpowered. Yep, it's a Nintendo console/launch.

It will sell as bad as the Wii U. Bring on third party Nintendo.

wapplew

Who is this console- handheld thing even aimed for? Specially at that price. Nintendo must be living in a dream word or something.

Many laugh at iPad when they first show it and they' were all wrong.
Maybe there is a place for hybrid console. If that concept fail, Nintendo still can salvage it. Make it cheaper remove the dock go full hendheld.
Later introduce a TV console version without the screen and boost power a little to full HD.

Scrawnton

I think it will be as successful as 3DSbut it's going to need a price drop in the end. They didn't tell enough about the system to really get excited about. Eshop games? Virtual Conslole?

Usobuko

Banned
How did GAF went from HYPE (reveal teaser) to DOA ? Just the price ?

- Paid online but with the worst service
- Free 1 VC game for a month only instead of what competitors are offering
- Bad launch title / windows
- Uninspiring specs
- Expensive accessories
- Only 32 gb

The price is a significant higher barrier for people that just wanna play pokemon. It won't be DOA but it definitely not what Nintendo hopes it turn out to be.

You don't combined 2 platforms to do numbers worst than one of them ( 3ds ).

It will tank harder than the WiiU in a shorter lifespan. This thing is a mistake top-to-bottom. I will just quote myself from another thread

It's a lose-lose situation no matter which device you expect the Switch to be. It's either an overpriced, shit-battery-life tablet or an underpowered 32GB console.

I think Nintendo fcked it up going this route. They should have abandoned their handheld and moved their handheld portfolio to phone and went batshit with their console. In stead we got a half-baked device that isn't very good at both things it's trying to be.

Like the 3DS, it will be a slow burn. Once Pokémon shows up, as we expect, it will be a different story. Price drops and bundles down the line will matter.

This time, at least, we won't have a scenario like how the all-hands-on-deck effort to rescue the 3DS from its early software problem took an obvious toll on the Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 will be the early bellwether of whether the system is doing much to pull in those who skipped the Wii U, particularly with the looming encumbrance of the online fee. Considering Mario Kart Wii outsold the Wii U hardware 3-to-1, there does exist a market outside the Nintendo core waiting to be tapped.

Zelda+Splatoon+Mario make a stellar launch year comparable to the early strength of the Wii for the veteran players. It's just that Splatoon is burdened by the online approach, while Mario needs to meet deadline. If Mario is delayed past the holiday, then they're really in trouble. I expect at least one or two late-year titans to show up at E3 (though for my own part I hope it's more substantial than a Smash port or Pokémon Stars).

The Switch doesn't exude the faddish appeal of the Wii (especially without a conceptual pack-in) and the third-party situation is what it has been since late GameCube. The 3DS is the benchmark. And honestly, this launch looks better.

olimpia84

If I had to throw a guess, I'd say it'll sell slightly less than 30m units.
The first impression of the system (barren launch lineup) and the 'high' cost will drive a lot of sales away unfortunately imo

Jay Sosa

It certainly has much more potential than the U.

A new Mario, Zelda, mobility and waggle shit? If marketed right it might be actually somewhat successful.

Have to say I'm surprised most people apparently think 300$ are to steep. What did you expect? 50 bucks and 5 games included?

Especially in this day and age where people are willing to spend so much money on completely unnecessary shit (like buying a new phone every 1 or 2 years).

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don't know how many units they can sell but for sure it's not going to be a success from that software lineup and price.

I don't know if they'll repeat a 3DS price-cut only this time it's actually planed.

PantsuJo

Not in Europe, for sure. Price is too high for console, too high for accessories and the EU lineup seems very small compared to US/JP.

EctoPrime

The price will kill the console, sales will be catastrophic. Very few parents are going to pay $360 for the console and one game.

- Cheaper Switch TV device in a year.
- Original Switch hybrid device discontinued in three years.
- Emergency new portable device within two years.
- 3DS life extended into 2020.

Niks

third party development will be scarse for the switch (outside of japan)... so yeah, uphill battle for nintendo.

Outside of Gaf, people seem pretty excited about it so I think it'll do good.
What most seem to forget is that it's also going to be the successor of the 3DS.
This will be the next system with Pokemon. It'll do just fine.

This thing is not replacing the 3DS. Not in the West, not in Japan.
Not as it is right now.

GAF seems like it's the worst of the worst reactions compared to everywhere else.

Some of the impressions I've seen on Twitter from people at the event are pretty damn positive.

Most people weren't following all of the rumors that GAF was. I think we had somehow collectively convinced ourselves that it would be $250; that Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario Kart would all be launch titles; that there would be major third-party support at launch.

I think the rumors really colored folks expectations.

I'm still super hyped though, in line outside of a GameStop to place my pre-order as I write this, in fact.

Porcile

It will sell fine. It looks like a quality product, does what it says on the tin, and the messaging about what it does is far far better already than 3DS or Wii U ever was. It already has a better announced games line up than Wii U had in its whole damn life, with more to come. GAF gets more ridiculous with dumb shit each and every day, I swear.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The presentation was pretty awful.

But, the Switch is a portable system getting a brand new Zelda day one, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a few weeks after, Splatoon 2 in the summer, and a 3D Mario for the holidays. If the rumors of Smash and Pokemon Star are accurate as well, that is six handheld exclusive million+ selling franchises hitting in a 9 month span. On top of that, you also have Dragon Quest XI and Minecraft hitting year one. I would be shocked if the Switch doesn't move units at a healthy rate in Japan.

In Europe and America.... well, the Switch looks to have bigger tent poles than the WiiU provided in the first year, but the western support looks to be even worse. Maybe E3 will remedy that (doubtful), and maybe ARMS/1,2 Switch will crack the casual market (very doubtful), otherwise I expect WiiU numbers in the west once the launch window passes.

McHuj

No, I think it will do worse than the WiiU outside of Japan.

There's nothing new here, it's a rehash of the Wii/WiiU at a higher price with paid online.

It's not compelling as a home console and too expensive as a handheld. I'm expecting another Ambassador program with a huge price drop in the next 12 months like the 3DS had.

In the short term I think it will fail, but in the long term, I think that they can attract the same crowd the 3DS did if they release it without the dock and market it as a portable system that can play pokemon.

So in 5 years I think it will be a moderate success.

Mediking

Switch should do good in Japan and the excellent 1st party games like Zelda and Mario should sell really well.

They really should cut it to $250 though but it's whatever. I'm buying Zelda Switch AT LAUNCH.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Shitty Nintendo online quality, but now we have to pay for it. Don't delude yourself into thinking it'll be better because we are paying for it. That's what everyone said about PSN.

So you already tried it ? Alright then.
Subscription model a la PS4 and Xbox One.

...yeah we still dont know the details on that - like costs and what exactly it will contain. But yeah im def. not paying for Online Multiplayer unless its like 2-3€ a month.

They will likely have all their big first party multiplayer hit out by the first year though - so it might be worth the cost down the line.

Floex

They're going to have a very tough year.

I have no idea what their thinking is anymore but if all Nintendos developers are working on the Switch they should have an incredible line up.

But boy they have they put a sour taste in most people's mouths.

I think its gonna come out flat, Nintendo set themselves up for abandonment. Without real third party support....I mean, a EA rep came out to announce Fifa and nothing else.

Doesn't matter if there is very little launch titles, as long as Nintendo properly market the console to the masses and push hard on it, we are going to see some success.

85 million. Saved by an aggressive price cut and Pokemon/Animal Crossing.
Nintendo didn't learn their lesson and aggressively slash Wii U units so what makes you think this will be different? It also had an incredible library of first party games and that couldn't save it. Loyal Nintendo fans will pay whatever they charge at launch just like Wii U but I see this thing failing hard with everyone else. It's too expensive relative to PS4/XBO, underpowered, barely has any announced games, paid online that will probably be inferior, has an expensive controller AGAIN...I just don't see it. Nintendo has to make some major changes but they are usually too prideful to admit fault.

Vol5

Abysmal sales at that price. I could buy a PS4 with Uncharted 4 and have spare change for PSN membership for £280. Accessory pricing is a fucking insult frankly. It's too big for play away. Battery life is horrible. Worse release day lineup I've ever seen. The graphics are shit.

Good luck Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom