• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Switch will be a success, but like everyone else has said, I feel like the price point is going to hurt a bit for awhile. Anecdotal, but all my gaming friends had a Wii back in the day (even my non-gaming friends and family had one, sheesh). Only one other friend and I picked up a Wii U, everyone else stuck to PC/XB1/PS4, as they got all the good exclusives plus multi-platform games. I just can't see any of them picking up the Switch at that price point, even for the few that have kids. I think the ideas behind the Switch and the Joy-Con will go over really well with people, kind of like the Wii did, but just a lot of consumers might not be so interested at the current price point. You can impulse buy a Wii on top of your other consoles (which is what I saw happening a lot with friends/family, heh), but not so much with the current Switch price. I'm assuming Nintendo must not be too worried in that regard, or they would have lowered it, or simplified the console so it was cheaper.

psyfi

Banned
I just wanna highlight this post from the Arms reveal thread.

I loved this game. Played it tonight at the preview event and then came back around for another go. Left the event tonight dying to play again. Honestly I wish I wouldn't have waited in line for Breath of the Wild so that I could have played more ARMS. BotW was the exact same portion of the game we've been seeing for a while now. Here's a little snippet from a preview that's about to go live for my website:

"The demo build of ARMS had five playable characters, each with his or her own unique characteristics. There's a giant mummy, for example, who heals himself slowly over time while holding the guard position. He's also huge and built like a tank, so he can take quite a beating. Contrast this with a fast and stealthy ninja character, who can disappear and reappear at a moment's notice with special dodges.

Every character has that one ability or one perk that makes them different from the rest, and that ability or perk will heavily influence the way that you formulate your offense or defense. Additionally, every character has three unique types of fists (or gloves) that they can equip on each hand, and each fist has its own properties. One is a straight-up heavy-hitting boxing glove; another one is a revolving turret of sorts that will send out four smaller projectiles in succession; one is a giant wrecking ball that will smash through your enemies smaller attacks on its way to pummel them in the teeth.

Free and fast movement, unique character abilities, multiple fist combinations, parries, grabs, and directional attacks... Do you see now? This isn't just a novelty. ARMS is an intense, high-impact chess match, and it's sure to challenge and delight anyone who loves a complex brawler.

Be that as it may, this is definitely a game that any young kid (or older non-gamer) could jump into and enjoy. I stated that skilled players won't be able to out-flail other skilled players, but if a match between casual players or beginners results in endless flailing and exaggerated leaning, it's still a damn good time. I saw plenty of that while at the preview event, and everyone always had a smile on their faces. The ARMS area was full of concentrated, furrowed brows and resounding laughter, and that's why I'm confident that we're dealing with a big hit when it releases this spring. Keep your eyes on this one, folks, and play it as soon as you get the chance."

Edit: Just noticed I'm a member now. Yay!
I really think this is going to be a surprise hit.

If this is truly the successor of the 3DS (which in turn, would mean that it would get all the sequels that would be expected out of Nintendo's next handheld-- i.e. a new Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter etc.), then yes, the Switch would definitely do better than the Wii U. It'll probably do whatever numbers the 3DS is doing.
You know, now that you mention it, I'm really shocked they didn't show Animal Crossing or Monster Hunter. Especially AC though.

jax

Banned
This will be a fun thread to quote when the crow is served in about a year's time.

Point is, it will be a success. Probably Wii U + 3DS numbers at the least, with the potential of near Wii level success based on just which third parties decide to jump on board and with which games.

Agreed. A cross gen zelda, some borderline shovelware and the promise of Mario a year from now has zero chance of taking the gaming world by storm.

A year from now? Try 9-10 months
I just wanna highlight this post from the Arms reveal thread.

I really think this is going to be a surprise hit.

You know, now that you mention it, I'm really shocked they didn't show Animal Crossing or Monster Hunter. Especially AC though.

Surprise? It has all the charm of punch out and splatoon.

Memento

This will be a fun thread to quote when the crow is served in about a year's time.

Point is, it will be a success. Probably Wii U + 3DS numbers at the least, with the potential of near Wii level success based on just which third parties decide to jump on board and with which games.

You think this thing will sell 100 million units and we are the delusional?

Icolin

Banned

Stop deluding yourself with the bolded.

I expect it to be between Wii U and Gamecube; a slow start, but in the end, a commendable success.

What you're saying in the bolded is a little over the top, to say the least.

Alebrije

hrfKRSnr1jdLZj5b1lQzHHo3Az2Zpi5pUnLkE94El6pFcc_MD67odxJA6vC4WlnySs9li5hUSN7tlu26tHwUGgfwnHHi_sa27gsi-cH8=w446-h251-nc

I think Animal Crossing is a lock for Switch, it all just depends on when. They're gonna want to get that casual audience in on the console, and the console is perfect for the type of gameplay of the game.

Duffman

It'll sell better than WiiU but that's not saying much.

Switch isn't going to be a Wii style hit. Masses aren't going to buy it if the 3rd party support isn't there. If all 3rd party games end up being like fifa (last gen/inferior ports) then it's going to have a very rough time.

I expect it to be between Wii U and Gamecube; a slow start, but in the end, a commendable success.

Between 14 million to 21 million units sold for a system that cannibalized Nintendo's handheld line is in no way going to be considered a success on any level.

Mikey Jr.

Bahaha.

Wii level success.

Alright. I'll post here for the crow lol.

psyfi

Banned
A year from now? Try 9-10 months

Surprise? It has all the charm of punch out and splatoon.
I've been seeing a lot of people liken it to Wii Boxing. A lot of people here aren't paying close enough attention to see its depth. Plus they haven't even played it.

Icolin

Banned
Between 14 million to 21 million units sold for a system that cannibalized Nintendo's handheld line is in no way going to be considered a success on any level.

I don't think it's comparable to the handhelds when it's priced the same as the console competitors; that's why I'm comparing it to the Wii U and Gamecube.

Still, in retrospect, you're right; even selling 14 to 21 million isn't gonna cut it.

Oh it will be a fun thread to bump, just not for you

You think this thing will sell 100 million units and we are the delusional?

I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the Gamecube and DS lite but I think this thing will be a success.

I reckon Nintendo will itterate the hardware pretty fast. In 2 years you'll have a refined form factor that will play the games at docked spec even when undocked while adding a modest battery life boost. Then 2 years later again there will be a spec bump and a big battery boost, etc, etc.

In 5 years it could be 60 million units or so.

Only 2 more revamps away from a 100 million.

Speely

Banned

You're probably right, when looking at this launch platform as the end platform. However, there is a chance that this platform could be extended far beyond a conventional lifespan. Sony and MS are both doing it, and Nintendo has not only adopted a scalable architecture but talked about iterative hardware.

Considering that, it's not too far fetched to predict the Switch could, one way or the other, supercede Wii U + 3DS numbers given an extended lifespan.

35-40 millions.

Gonna piggyback this number estimate, with about 5 million more or less. I don't think this thing is gonna be some colossal hit, but it'll do well enough to push the Switch line forward and advance the concept. They just need to play their cards right, release enough games, and play well with the right 3rd parties.

jax

Banned
There has never been a touch screen based Nintendo portable that was unsuccessful. I'm cooking this crow real good, lots of herbs and spices. At the very least we will see 3DS numbers, and there's a good chance that number will grow. We won't see Wii/DS levels of sales, but I honestly believe the Switch will get damn close. The 3DS was $250 in March, featured gimmicks and had iffy support and is now hovering at around 70m. The only difference is: unlike the 3DS, the Switch actually has some great launch titles.

JordanN

Banned
I think if Nintendo wanted to really aim higher than 20 million sales, they would have priced the Switch as low as possible ($199) and bundle a game with it.

Going for $300 means they've seen the writing on the wall and are just doubling down on selling strictly to Nintendo fans only.

3DS, a system that was in a much better position and was trailing off the hugely successful DS, couldn't get the masses to stomach a $250 price point.

There has never been a touch screen based Nintendo portable that was unsuccessful. I'm cooking this crow real good, lots of herbs and spices. At the very least we will see 3DS numbers, and there's a good chance that number will grow. We won't see Wii/DS levels of sales, but I honestly believe the Switch will get damn close. The 3DS was $250 in March, featured gimmicks and had iffy support and is now hovering at around 70m. The only difference is: unlike the 3DS, the Switch actually has some great launch titles.

That would be because Nintendo entered panic mode and slashed 80 off the price 5 months after launch when it cratered on arrival. Also their closest competitor chose to roll over and play dead in the same timeframe.

I mean, sure Nintendo could have yet another bout of existential dread and hack 100 off the price of the Switch come August but I don't think that's what you mean when you talk about the Switch being a success.

I can see it hitting 40 million...

Once it's priced accordingly and bundles are introduced.

-$199 base system
-$249 system + game
-$300 system + game + pro controller

Then and only then will it be able to hit that 40+ million mark.

Paskil

I think the system will do WiiU numbers. I chuckled this morning when I thought about it being named the Switch and wondered if it was a plea after the shit show Wii/WiiU result where we saw people confusing games for the two systems.

Nintendo: "Please switch systems to the new system."

I will buy it at launch and will probably get my moneys worth over the lifecycle of the console, but I expect WiiU or Gamecube lifetime sales numbers.

wapplew

After treehouse stream, I think it will be a success, Nintendo still got it.
Arms will be huge, Zelda is GoTG, at the end, it's the games that sell console.
The Hybrid approach will catch on, it's not portable with TV output, the instantaneous of switching is big, so big, 1 year from now our gaming habit will change and can't live without it.

Launch price is the only road block but price can change.

Everyone is so busy shitting on each other to ask a very important question:

Who is going to cook all the crow?

Nintendo is already partnering with Apple to make iPhone games. this new system uses the same touchscreen technology. do u think Microsoft is in any position to bring iPhone apps to your HD tv?

i dont know, maybe Apple will somehow disappear in 5 years too. it could happen. doubt it.

Nintendo is already partnering with Apple to make iPhone games. this new system uses the same touchscreen technology. do u think Microsoft is in any position to bring iPhone apps to your HD tv?

i dont know, maybe Apple will somehow disappear in 5 years too. it could happen. doubt it.

I'm not really understanding what you are trying to say here. The Switch uses touchscreen so Apple will... do something with it?

watershed

Banned
After treehouse stream, I think it will be a success, Nintendo still got it.
Arms will be huge, Zelda is GoTG, at the end, it's the games that sell console.
The Hybrid approach will catch on, it's not portable with TV output, the instantaneous of switching is big, so big, 1 year from now our gaming habit will change and can't live without it.

Launch price is the only road block but price can change.
I'd love for this to be true but I think it will play out almost the exact opposite. I think Arms is gonna flop, along with 1,2, Switch. Zelda will be huge but lack of 3rd party support and unfortunate software droughts will hurt sales while Nintendo will be unable to drop the price similar to the WiiU situation. That's my prediction.

ironcreed

Banned
lmaoooo I want this so bad

You can go make a real sandwich and have the experience with all the taste! Or if you just want to sit there and smack your gums as fast as you can while holding a piece of plastic in front of your mouth you can do that, too.

Exokell

Banned
I still can't believe Nintendo just combined all their past gimmicks into one console/handheld instead of creating a new gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom