• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Console is too expensive. Controllers are too expensive. Paid online. 32gb storage.

It will probably sell good when it first comes out due to Zelda and Nintendo fans, but then drop off drastically.

It's priced too high I think. Good concept. Will do better ham Wii U. I think we are looking at sales levels slightly above Gamecube

I'll also add that the accessory pricing adds insult to injury

Eila

Yeah I think it will have the 3DS and Vita support in Japan. I doubt it'll get the promised western support beyond launch.

Dunkley

My guess is that it will have a strong launch but quickly lose momentum due to the pricing. Paid online only coming in Autumn is a smart move since it doesn't add further to the entry price (for now), but a slow launch year and a few canceled titles will hurt the sales to the point where Nintendo will be forced to drop the price.

If they do that, it will go on to succeed afterwards, otherwise it's gonna be Vita 2.0.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I wish I knew how much more they had in store to tell us about the software lineup in the near future. If they're still trying to keep some surprises for this year in their pocket then it might have a chance.

If what they showed last night is the extent of what they have for 2017... Ouch. No Pokémon, Smash, Gamecube VC? No VC announcements at all? Paid online? 3rd party support worse than even the skeptics thought? I mean... fuck... I was super hyped going into last night and now I feel like kind of a jackass. I definitely don't know how to sell this to all my adult gamer friends who skipped out on WiiU.

"It's only $300, accessories are more expensive than any console ever, online won't be free anymore by the time the game library takes off, no game comes with it and it looks like it won't be good for anything beyond Nintendo games, just like WiiU!"

zelas

It will sell a few million lower than 3ds. Which is kind of a flop considering its replacing the 3ds and wii u yet wont be able to do better with those combined markets.

It appears they have created a hybrid, but a hybrid of all the failed consoles. Its got some Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, and a large portion of WiiU.

As a Nintendo fan, I'm starting to question whether or not Nintendo should continue in the hardware market.

Such a impotent company right now, they just can't seem to get it up.

U-R

It's DOA.

Way underpowered, way overpriced, terrible and paid online, bad portable, and the same games that couldn't save the WiiU.

It will sell out due to manifactured scarcity and make headlines for the following scalping, but after that it's WiiU 1.5

Kusagari

It's going to bomb far worse than the Wii U.

Ridiculous price, sparse lineup, accessories priced like they think they're Apple, paywall online that will probably be a disaster.

Never at that price - and that doesn't even include a game from the anemic launch line-up.

Also, with 32gb of memory, I'm skeptical it's going to be getting Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk, and a huge bunch of other games that people would expect to be able to play for that price point.

An Xbox One Slim is cheaper and will net you more games, better games, without a dogshite online service that requires you use a smartphone app for voice chat.

Who would seriously choose this thing.

Wait you have to use a smartphone app for voice chat? I literally laughed out loud reading that...you've got to be making a joke. Nintendo wants to charge for online and make you get an app to talk to your friends or randoms you meet? If true they really have no idea what they are doing.

Wii had price and a truly novel feature at the time on its side. Switch has none of things things, and it's doubling down on motion controls which people were over a few years after Wii launched.

Nailed it. They're still trying to recapture the wii magic and they have no freaking idea that it was simply a convergence of multiple factors at the right time. It doesn't play today though. I don't think they ever really understood.

Scumcore

After seeing the presentation, no...

I have one in pre-order, but maybe I'm gonna cancel it. Then I'll grab Zelda for Wii U and wait for the killer apps/price drop that'll justify the purchase.

My current backlog will keep me more than busy until that time.

PillarEN

Maybe. The 3DS messed up at first and then Ninendo remedied that. If they can somehow rethink their prices before the system goes on long enough they can right the ship.

Interfectum

It'll sell well out the gate then drop like a rock after the hype dies down. The thing is too expensive and the paid online is absurd.

Peltz

I want it to succeed, but I just don't see how it will given last night's conference. The games lineup is just too poor and the hardware/accessories are too expensive.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I expect an emergency price drop before the thing launch, so I won't judge it now.
But if it doesn't happen, here's how I see the situation :

- It will do good sales at launch (Nintendo fans + hype + relatively low stocks)
- It will crater from may to june
- Splatoon 2 will be the first victim of these low sales
- Emergency price drop alongside the holidays releases
- It should be good after that.

Basically, 3DS situation, but with a probably better start.

It's not a Wii U 2 tho, far from that. I don't think it will do particulary well though.

Splatoon 2 will die a horrible death when Nintendo begins charging for online play.

For reference, the emergency price drop for the Nintendo 3DS from $249 to $169 took all of five months (March to August 2011), and while I wouldn't hold my breath for anything that drastic, some urgent measures in the post-launch period are not out of the question if the negative perceptions from the presentation stick through the weekend. One potential point of flexibility, and I admit this is what I've crossed my fingers for, is for a revision of their online strategy during the "trial period" before anyone has put their money down.

The precedent of the 3DS cut does give me pause and make me wonder if I should stick with Zelda for the Wii U, especially if I mean to play little else in the early months. But how many consumers enticed by the Switch are aware of that history? (The kind dedicated enough to own a Wii U, sure, but that's a fraction of the market.)

The rumour mill certainly did the device a grave disservice by planting in everyone's heads an expectation of $249. I know that was already the upper limit for many people going in, especially those among you who are multiple console owners and considering the Switch as a secondary, but if you believed $299 to be likely from the start, that isn't the source of disappointment nearly as much as some of the other concerns.

EhoaVash

I can see it having a price cut after few months or Nintendo selling a dockless version for maybe $200?Then we will see it fly off shelves

Reminds me a lot of the 3DS when it launched.. came out about $50 too expensive and received a price cut fairly quickly.. that said the paid multiplayer is going to really hurt adoption I think.. Microsoft started this trend but had a network that was heaps better than the competition, Sony only started charging after proving themselves for years and catching up to Microsoft, but Nintendo really feels like they have no business putting a paywall on their network which is a decade behind the competition..

they did have quite good online with mario kart and splatoon. smash was also okay but a bit more laggy

ffvorax

Not at that price and launch line-up. Maybe on christmas will sell better, more games and some discounts probably there.

They had my money. I'd already pre-ordered. Then that presentation happened. Got to be the worst launch line up I've ever seen.

I can't seen them doing anywhere near big numbers in the first year unless they do something like a £50 drop and bundle Mario Kart in at Christmas.

Shizuka

It's a $300 handheld, after the previous one bombed at $250 years ago. It's a handheld with $60 games. It requires you to pay in order to play online games, when the biggest draw of the platform are arguably those very same games. You get a NES game with that subscription to play for a month.

Honestly, no.

[Asmodean]

I think they've made the mistake of marketing it as a 'console' which it clearly falls short as. Unless their 1st party support is legendary, to compensate...

They should be marketing it as a handheld, that can also connect to a TV for 'full screen HD home gaming' ™

It sounds like an impressive handheld gaming device.
It sounds like a terrible console. By comparison to competition.

#edit: also - the price is like $50 too high..

Jumeira

Banned
I felt Wii U would fail, it was gimmicky and overpriced. I feel the same with Switch, it's not a concept that gamers (outside of Nintendo die hards) will warm to in the west. Next to its competitors it's already outdated and this is next to base model Xbox and PS4. Then there's the incomplete and bizzare implementation of online, cost of accessories and games.

Worse versions of 3rd party games, worse looking games and more costly (32GB storage what were they thinking ?). It'll do worse then Wii U.

Fail.

Better than Wiiu but they will see like 30 million i bet the life of it. Don't see it selling gangbusters. Gonna get one but I'm not even gonna preorder it.

Otnopolit

I agree that GAF feels very strongly one way or the other about things, and it does not represent the sentiment of the greater market.

I think their biggest mistake was adding all this great technology to the joy cons mean that your price went up by a lot. To the point where we see where those controllers are priced at and that makes me understand more why it's priced at $300. They know they had hype in the sales and had too much tech also to sell it at a loss, so here we are at $300. This one's up on the air.

PantsuJo

- Uninspiring specs

Pretty good specs for a handheld though

But how is it supposed to be handheld?

Because the battery can last only 3.5 hours at best (the weak point of the nvidia-tablet until today, we should admit it) and because only "dockered" (sorry for bad english ^^") is enable to gain full power.

So it's not portable: it's a device able to move from a room to another room, inside your house... maybe only to be connected to another dock, in another room lol

No way this things surpasse N64 numbers if the pricing stays this stingy throughout it's lifetime, but it might hit NES numbers if they pull their heads out of their asses and do major price drops for the first couple of years.

They're currently taking crazy pills.

notaskwid

It's a sad state of affairs, really. If nintendo doesn't release an only portable device or slashes the price by a lot soon after release, handheld gaming will be truly dead.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wii had price and a truly novel feature at the time on its side. Switch has none of things things, and it's doubling down on motion controls which people were over a few years after Wii launched.

This is what I don't get about GAF:

VR: "I love these motion controls!"

Non-VR: "Oh man waggle is terrible."

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It all depends on the marketing at this point. They did themselves no favors last night, but I don't think any of it was system killing. BotW will be huge and despite what many think 1, 2, Switch could resonate with consumers. Though I do think it should be bundled with the system. The 300 price point with no free software is a task order in this environment.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The way I'm feeling right now is that I'll buy one...in maybe 4-5 years from now, if it lasts that long, and that way I get it at cheap price, don't need to pay online fees for years, will hopefully have hardware revisions with better battery, and will also hopefully have a solid amount of games.

then again I did have the same approach to the WiiU and now I'll never own one.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Probably not but wtf are people saying it's overpriced talking about?

Are there any handhelds as powerful as the Switch at $299? You guys are insane.

There's no market for handheld consoles with a $300 price tag that need a sub to play online.

Chris1

Probably not but wtf are people saying it's overpriced talking about?

Are there any handhelds as powerful as the Switch at $299? You guys are insane.

I don't think the USD price is so bad but the UK price is a disaster.

For £280 you can get a PS4 or XB1 with like 3 games coming with it and still have money to spare, not just a console on it's own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom