• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

A-Yo
for those of you have not sullied yourselves
Not bad. I wouldn't search it out, but I wouldn't turn it off if it came on.

vz181Q1.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
What are your predictions for the album? Im sticking to 85k
50-60k

How are yall listening to this album? Is it out already? I can't find it on APM or Spotify?

People are listening to the leak. Thanks for the person who shared it with me, but I'm probably just going to wait till Friday.

Probably the most iconic album of our generation. Mark my words, music historians will look back very favorably on it
It's probably one of the biggest cultural zeitgeist albums without any singles actually being popular (on the charts at least). Everyone knows Drunk in Love & Flawless. However I still think Lemonade is a better album overall, although the most impressive thing to come out of it is the accompanying visual album, Becky with the good hair/Jay-Z cheating in general, and the outcry against Formation at the Super Bowl.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
LOL @ people lowballing Gaga. Joanne will flop but it'll still do over 100,000 opening week before it falls off a cliff. Bookmark me.

The album itself is... I don't know what to think of it so far. I think it might be a grower instead of a shower? Right now I'm looking favorably on ARTPOP in hindsight. Just listened to Mary Jane Holland which is still a slay.

Kind of like how I've been revisiting MDNA a lot recently, and I've realized it's actually better than Rebel Heart. Love Spent, whew. Rebel Heart is better than Hard Candy though.

tumblr_inline_of8brzly1A1qcm4iq_500.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
One thing has become crystal clear. 2016 belongs to the MEN.

The Weeknd, Zayn Malik, Drake, Twenty One Pilots, Sam Hunt. Poor your vagina toting faves.

rhandino

Banned
I disagree with that a bit because Lemonade, Anti, Side B, This is What the Truth Feels Like, Love you to Death and even those 3 tracks for FFXV from Florence are slays.

Let's call it a tie

WaffleTaco

Are you in the wrong thread? 🙃
I thought when I started visiting POPGAF that it would be thoughtful discussion on Pop Music...I was really wrong but I think I prefer it this way.
Joanne > Dated EDMpop easily.
Artpop had terrible sound and a lot of noise. I really liked the snippets from Joanne where it's toned down.
One thing has become crystal clear. 2016 belongs to the MEN.

The Weeknd, Zayn Malik, Drake, Twenty One Pilots, Sam Hunt. Poor your vagina toting faves.
Rihanna, Beyoncé, 5th Harmony, Ariana Grande, Meghan Trainor, Sia...I can make lists too and I will look just as silly.

Koodo

Banned
Lemonade and 25 are the leading albums in pure sales this year, and if noted prostitute releases, that'll be a top three help up by women.

The flavour of the months listed there are just streaming artists. Cis white male versions of Rihanna.

4gJB9un.gif

Except for Abel, talent is strong with him.

Meowster

Pray You Catch Me is so good, whew.

Still can't believe she chose the worst songs as the singles though. They don't sell just how much of a masterpiece Lemonade is. 😢

rhandino

Banned
I think The Flop and I promoted Sam Hunt album/single like back in OT XII, and everyone payed his music dust while You Know Nothing only came forward to objectify his nice body and handsome face.

CIhSf2V.gif

The songs I go back to on Lemonade are Pray You Catch me, Don't Hurt Yourself, Sorry and All Night. The rest I haven't really connected with, sadly. She's still my fave but I would say that Self-Titled remains her magnum opus.

I love that she made Daddy Lessons though, and Freedom's chorus is one of her best. If Lemonade was only an LP release and didn't include the AMAZING movie companion though, critics would have been quite a bit harsher.

Rihanna, Beyoncé, 5th Harmony, Ariana Grande, Meghan Trainor, Sia...I can make lists too and I will look just as silly.

c7NJRa2.gif

---------

Listened to Joanne.

it is an alright album, some very heartfelt songs like the one about shooting that got to me.

But gaga's voice is shot tbh. It is more powerful than ever but it sounds horrid most of the time for me. It is just a very unpleasant tone.

*goes back to listening to EMOTION Side B* . All other pop gurlz bar Ariana disappointed me this year.

My man Bruno is gonna kill it if 24K is anything to go on!

Also Sam Hunt?

tumblr_m41aygNfBB1r15uyio2_r4_250.gif

WaffleTaco

The songs I go back to on Lemonade are Pray You Catch me, Don't Hurt Yourself, Sorry and All Night. The rest I haven't really connected with, sadly. She's still my fave but I would say that Self-Titled remains her magnum opus.

I love that she made Daddy Lessons though, and Freedom's chorus is one of her best. If Lemonade was only an LP release and didn't include the AMAZING movie companion though, critics would have been quite a bit harsher.
I disagree, it's very flawless, and tells it's story in a very believable way. I don't listen to it much anymore, since I can't relate to the album too much (when I was "cheated" on I didn't find out till after we already broke up). I still think it sounds very good and her voice sounds amazing.
there is nothing praiseworthy about MJH other than it being about weed tbh
I think Mary Jane Holland is actually one of the better songs on that album...then again I like Dope and everyone hear hates that so 🙄

Meowster

I disagree, it's very flawless, and tells it's story in a very believable way. I don't listen to it much anymore, since I can't relate to the album too much (when I was "cheated" on I didn't find out till after we already broke up). I still think it sounds very good and her voice sounds amazing.

I think Mary Jane Holland is actually one of the better songs on that album...then again I like Dope and everyone hear hates that so 🙄
I love Dope!!

Can anyone here confirm that Come To Mama has disaster vocals?

My friend (a stan) says the track is a cheesy-but-endearing Bob Dylan/Mariah Christmas bop but her delivery is a perfect struggle

WaffleTaco

I dont know if Lemonade is a believable album, after all she is still with him even after his cheating
Well that's just how the story goes for them. Some people stay together after a loved one has cheated, others separate. I think though that yeah it could have been entirely made up, but it's still a ballsy move to do if it's fake.
Why is Halsey still a thing can she go back to Tumblr where she belongs
I mean she's only really famous for "Closer." It remains to be seen if she will stay famous, and that will be when she releases her next single. Plus if she stays popular she could be a good role model for young LGBT+ girls.

rhandino

Banned
Well, not really. It's more accurate to say that The Chainsmokers got a #1 hit.

Then again a lot of people count Uptown Funk as a #1 for Bruno instead of Mark Ronson so...

Why is Halsey still a thing can she go back to Tumblr where she belongs
But first, Gaga must go to MySpace.

Re: Lemonade. Yes Beyonce is still with Jay, but what about that elevator incident? That was in no way manufactured or intended to be public. That's really the only reason I believe something happened in their marriage, making me think there is some truth to what's in Lemonade. Beyonce is very secretive, and it's likely the public will never really know what happened.

Although, maybe years/decades from now she'll do like an Oprah interview or something to talk about it...or Solange will write a book.

WaffleTaco

Well, not really. It's more accurate to say that The Chainsmokers got a #1 hit.

Then again a lot of people count Uptown Funk as a #1 for Bruno instead of Mark Ronson so...
I think of it like this. Halsey got a #1 because she was on a catchy popular song with the Chainsmokers who have had previous hits, meanwhile Mark Ronson got a #1 hit because Bruno Mars has had previous catchy hits.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Can anyone here confirm that Come To Mama has disaster vocals?

My friend (a stan) says the track is a cheesy-but-endearing Bob Dylan/Mariah Christmas bop but her delivery is a perfect struggle

Disaster vocals in a track on Joanne, you say? Yes. I can confirm.

In that particular song, she sounds like a hoarse wailing mother bear calling for its young.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
as negative as I was about the rest of the album, john wayne is my fucking shit

enigmatic_alex44

The flavour of the months listed there are just streaming artists. Cis white male versions of Rihanna.

4gJB9un.gif

Did you just call Drake white

IkLRftY.gif

Yikes. I'm stunned that midget with his faux MJ screeching even has stans in 2016
NxA33G8.gif

I remember one of the gays here calling Mary Jane Holland the Citizen Kane of music. He wasn't wrong.

Eek @ you liking Dope. Trash. Should I be surprised though you do have a Sansa avatar all...

...then again maybe Sansa gets better in Season 6, I haven't seen it yet (Season 5 was the first time I started to like her character)...

WaffleTaco

Yikes. I'm stunned that midget with his faux MJ screeching even has stans in 2016

I remember one of the gays here calling Mary Jane Holland the Citizen Kane of music. He wasn't wrong.

Eek @ you liking Dope. Trash. Should I be surprised though you do have a Sansa avatar all...

...then again maybe Sansa gets better in Season 6, I haven't seen it yet (Season 5 was the first time I started to like her character)...
Well the last thing Bruno Mars was really in was Uptown Funk and I love that song so much.

Dope just sounds really pretty. And Sansa was great in Season 6. I just wish I had a better avatar as her.

I thought when I started visiting POPGAF that it would be thoughtful discussion on Pop Music...I was really wrong but I think I prefer it this way.

Artpop had terrible sound and a lot of noise. I really liked the snippets from Joanne where it's toned down.

I can tell you exactly why your list is silly though.

Little Mons†er;220588489 said:
Twitter seems to think otherwise...

Anyhoo, 2000s RNB is a slay when with the 2010s?

Twitter seem to think she's "shading" them, I see it as her being sweet and nice...like no hard feelings thing. A-YO still suck sadly

Well for a Lana stan I guess that might sound like a good time but maybe come off of the ledge of the building and see what Christmas is all about.

I guess if I wanted to make it appealing to a Mariah stan the men would all have to be ugly middle aged rich white dudes who are only sexually active from November to December

Top Bottom