• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Burr makes sense

Does Bill Burr make sense?

• Yes

Votes: 38 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Jerk Chicken

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

I think he does. FYI it’s not all about C.K.

I’d like to discuss the ultra woke Bill Burr. Please watch fully. Feel free to post a Bill Burr video or quote.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is his argument how are you progressive if you aren't ok with me jacking it to people? CK isn't in a shithouse for disagreeing though. Was it all consensual? If so then I don't get it. Also I like how he said jerkoffs about ab ppl while defending CK.

Is his argument how are you progressive if you aren't ok with me jacking it to people? CK isn't in a shithouse for disagreeing though. Was it all consensual? If so then I don't get it. Also I like how he said jerkoffs about ab ppl while defending CK.

From what I understand, CK asked women if he could jerk off in front of them, some of them said yes, thinking he was joking, but when someone said no, he didn't do it.

If someone says yes, how else can you really interrupt that? If someone makes a sexual proposition, don't kid around, say what you mean, people aren't mind readers.

CK is certainly guilty of being sleazy, but should people not forgive him? I don't know.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
He is a comedian, maybe they thought it was a joke? Burr makes some sense in the matter when he says to leave it to the cops. As in if CK actually did anything illegal. But other than being a gigantic creep I don't see why he was disowned from Hollywood...

He is a comedian, maybe they thought it was a joke? Burr makes some sense in the matter when he says to leave it to the cops. As in if CK actually did anything illegal. But other than being a gigantic creep I don't see why he was disowned from Hollywood...

They did think it was a joke but when you say "yes" to someone you can't act too upset when someone... does the thing you said yes to, like I said, people aren't mind readers.

That’s not what Bill was saying. He said he wishes we could have conversations with each other about topics without the fear that we destory those who disagree. Not the CK was destroyed for disagreeing.

I thought this was an elegant essay on the ramifications of Louis doing what he did, and the nuance beyond "what's the problem? They consented."
http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/louis-c-k-put-me-in-a-lose-lose-situation.html

As for Bill, he's right, of course. Twitter is a huge part of why there's this decline in dialogue between people, just by the very nature of how it works. Which is incredibly ironic, if you think about it. You're given direct access to a person and their space, and all we're seemingly doing now is trading insults and barbs and reducing issues to their most simplistic and base form.

Bill is funny, and most of the time on point. His stuff on conan is always good. Stand up and comedy in general should be seen for what it is, finding the funny in a messed up situation is welcome imo. If these people aren't given a creative umbrella then we're doomed to a boring soulless existence.

CK messed up, but no one is perfect. If you're not happy with someone tugging while your on the phone with them, hang up. The stuff he did to comedians who couldn't laugh it off, or take the opportunity to rip him a new one is uninspiring.

Chappelle even defends him and other comedians who may have had some material backfire. Shake it off and keep going. Hannibals (Buress) comedy got some justice and may have kicked off the me2 movement, so give em some leeway.

bigedole

Bill Burr is hilarious. I would also like to use this opportunity to shamelessly plug Norm MacDonald, whom I think catches a lot of flack from people in his industry for generally saying/making fun of the things the progressives don't want anyone to say and/or make fun of.

Bill Burr is hilarious. I would also like to use this opportunity to shamelessly plug Norm MacDonald, whom I think catches a lot of flack from people in his industry for generally saying/making fun of the things the progressives don't want anyone to say and/or make fun of.
Did you see Norm’s new Netflix show. The one with Judge Judy is really good.

BANGS

Banned
Bill Burr is very hit or miss. He's got some wisdom but it's hidden behind a short fuse with no patience or discipline...

I see Norm survived his mouth-in-foot scare and his show made it onto the service. I've not watched it properly yet, but from a cursory glance, I prefer the aesthetic of the YouTube show. It makes me sad that all those shows disappeared. When I need a good laugh, I'll watch the madness of his Stephen Merchant episode. Nobody fucks with Uncle Terry.

Hilarious how even in a 5 minute clip unrelated to sports or basketball, Simmons tried to make LeBron sound silly but Burr didn't bite at all.
Bill Burr is very hit or miss. He's got some wisdom but it's hidden behind a short fuse with no patience or discipline...
Discipline? Most people become comedians because they don't want a routine, normal job. Sure, they work hard, but usually it's because of passion and not because of patience or discipline. Do you care to elaborate on why you think discipline is a desirable skill to make a comedian more enjoyable to watch?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I see Norm survived his mouth-in-foot scare and his show made it onto the service. I've not watched it properly yet, but from a cursory glance, I prefer the aesthetic of the YouTube show. It makes me sad that all those shows disappeared. When I need a good laugh, I'll watch the madness of his Stephen Merchant episode. Nobody fucks with Uncle Terry.

BANGS

Banned
Discipline? Most people become comedians because they don't want a routine, normal job. Sure, they work hard, but usually it's because of passion and not because of patience or discipline. Do you care to elaborate?
There's not much more to elaborate on. As you said, he lacks discipline and patience, which is why he's so damn wrong on a lot of things. I'm not saying he's a bad comedian, I'm saying he's a bad "wise man" if anyone is holding him up to that pedestal like OP is...

There's not much more to elaborate on. As you said, he lacks discipline and patience, which is why he's so damn wrong on a lot of things. I'm not saying he's a bad comedian, I'm saying he's a bad "wise man" if anyone is holding him up to that pedestal like OP is...
OK, so if I understand correctly: you're not prescribing patience and discipline for Bill Burr; you're telling Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese that if he thinks "Bill Burr makes sense," as was his claim/question, that he should be careful in following Bill Burr's thoughts because Bill Burr is often wrong. And instead, if he wants to choose a role model of thought, he should pick someone with more discipline and patience because that person will, presumably, be correct much more often. Is that right?

Nymphae

Banned
You're given direct access to a person and their space, and all we're seemingly doing now is trading insults and barbs and reducing issues to their most simplistic and base form.

Likely because the platform was designed around stupid character limits that encourage shitposts. Take away the ability to have a nuanced in-depth discussion, and obviously this is was going to be the result. I never understood why there is even a character limit, that aspect has always turned me off from the service. I'm just amazed so many people seem to be able to enjoy it, I cannot for the life of me be bothered to make sense of tweet threads and all the jargon and @replies vs replies, I never wanted to learn the platform because the discussions seemed like trash. Yeah there's gems anywhere, but I have tried so many times to get into it, and it's not for me. Forums are still the best way to have an in depth discussion in my opinion.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
OK, so if I understand correctly: you're not prescribing patience and discipline for Bill Burr; you're telling Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese that if he thinks "Bill Burr makes sense," as was his claim/question, that he should be careful in following Bill Burr's thoughts because Bill Burr is often wrong. And instead, if he wants to choose a role model of thought, he should pick someone with more discipline and patience because that person will, presumably, be correct much more often. Is that right?
100%

BANGS

Banned
Likely because the platform was designed around stupid character limits that encourage shitposts. Take away the ability to have a nuanced in-depth discussion, and obviously this is was going to be the result. I never understood why there is even a character limit, that aspect has always turned me off from the service. I'm just amazed so many people seem to be able to enjoy it, I cannot for the life of me be bothered to make sense of tweet threads and all the jargon and @replies vs replies, I never wanted to learn the platform because the discussions seemed like trash. Yeah there's gems anywhere, but I have tried so many times to get into it, and it's not for me. Forums are still the best way to have an in depth discussion in my opinion.
I agree forums will always be best, so long as they have fair mods and terms of use...

I too never undertstood why people have twitter, snapchat, all that shit when facebook does all the same shit in one service/account. It seems so pointless to have all these others...

I agree forums will always be best, so long as they have fair mods and terms of use...

I too never undertstood why people have twitter, snapchat, all that shit when facebook does all the same shit in one service/account. It seems so pointless to have all these others...

People use these different platforms to different degrees, for different purposes. But primarily it's to get as much exposure as possible because we want to believe people give a damn about our opinions and monotonous photos.

Gander

Banned
It brings up the questions what rights do a sex offender have? Also if he can come back to his career can Al Frankin go back to being a senator for his poor taste jokes? It's a slippery slope.

Papa

Banned
It brings up the questions what rights do a sex offender have? Also if he can come back to his career can Al Frankin go back to being a senator for his poor taste jokes? It's a slippery slope.

He’s not a sex offender. He never did anything illegal and stopped when he was told no. He’s a creepy dude with a weird fetish at best. This isn’t the first time you’ve been corrected on this and all you’re doing is diluting what should be a very serious label.

Gander

Banned
He’s not a sex offender. He never did anything illegal and stopped when he was told no. He’s a creepy dude with a weird fetish at best. This isn’t the first time you’ve been corrected on this and all you’re doing is diluting what should be a very serious label.

Creepy dudes that whip out there penis in professional settings are sex offenders. I'm happy to correct you, it's indecent exposure. You're welcome.

Papa

Banned
Creepy dudes that whip out there penis in professional settings are sex offenders. I'm happy to correct you, it's indecent exposure. You're welcome.

You’re misrepresenting as usual. He whipped his cock out in hotel rooms after seeking permission.

BANGS

Banned
People use these different platforms to different degrees, for different purposes. But primarily it's to get as much exposure as possible because we want to believe people give a damn about our opinions and monotonous photos.
Yeah that's the part I don't get lmfao... I mean if you're a business or celebrity I get it but otherwise...

Grinchy

Banned
"I will never go and pay to see his comedy nor will I ever watch anything he stars in, directs, or produces."

- That should be as far as it should really go if you're someone who is bothered by him asking if he can jerk off in front of women.

"I'm going to make it my duty to make sure his life is over and he can never find work again. I want to see him lose his family and friends and be homeless."

- This is as far as you should go if you're a psycho.

"I will never go and pay to see his comedy nor will I ever watch anything he stars in, directs, or produces."

- That should be as far as it should really go if you're someone who is bothered by him asking if he can jerk off in front of women.

"I'm going to make it my duty to make sure his life is over and he can never find work again. I want to see him lose his family and friends and be homeless."

- This is as far as you should go if you're a psycho.

Spot on.

If I told you your favourite writer/actor/artist did those things it shouldn't negate their work. Differentiating between the art and the artist is very complicated for some. I don't like CK as much as I used to but I'll rewatch that snl phone shop skit again and if a future work interests me then I may peruse.

Tesseract

Banned

he asked, they consented. it's def a weird fetish thing, and gross behavior, but that doesn't make him a sex offender.

Top Bottom