• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biohazard 5 Demo Thread (Players list, scores, etc.)

What annoys me is that I have a Japanese account, but Gold's run out on it. And I've had problems DLing Game Demos from Japan on that account anyway... sometimes they block IPs, it seems.

Oh well, I'll wait for the inevitable torrent.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Mohonky said:
:lol

Got it mate. Cheers. Downloading demo, hopefully won't be too long. Will let you know as soon as it's finished via PM. Thanks mate.

Not a problem!

if anyone has an account that they'd let me use to d/l this i'd greatly appreciate it and hold your username dear to my heart always and forever

Scribble

My folks and I were mad about RE4, and are crazy about this one. I'd appreciate it if someone has an account to lend =X

CoilShot

duckroll said:
Okay, tried the demo out. I'm not entirely impressed with the way it controls. It doesn't really feel very natural to me, and I've tried all the control schemes. It feels like they designed the game to be much more of a shooter with more enemies and closer proximity in terms of encounters, but kept the RE4 camera and animations. The turning and stuff is really slow and I'm not really feeling it. The graphics are really good, but I'm just not feeling the overall package at the moment.

Maybe I'm tired, but I found myself pretty annoyed at quite a few sequence in the demo. If you stay inside the house in the first scenario for example, the axe guy can come in, and if you run out from the way you came in, you can kinda end up trapped in the corridor. I know you're supposed to run out through the barrier he breaks down when he comes at you, but it can be pretty frustrating if you simply choose the wrong way to hole up in the house.

In the second scenario, I found the split pretty annoying too. It wasn't immediately clear to me that she was jumping over to go downstairs and unlock a gate, since I simply went into a house and got to the top and got a partner action. There's nothing that indicated to me clearly that I was supposed to go down a floor to cover her and then down again to cover her while she unlocked a gate. It became obvious when she started calling for help, but by then it just felt like I wasn't playing the game "properly".

My final gripe is that the way you tackle both minibosses in the scenarios is pretty..... lame to say the least. You shoot them either in their weak spot or damage them a lot... then you run up to them and do some lame melee move? These guys look huge and have giant weapons and that's the best sort of tactic Chris can think of? I dunno, maybe the developers got a little too carried away with the OMG CHRIS IS SO BUFF LOOK AT THOSE 10 INCH BICEPS thing... :/

Yeah, so I'm not really feeling the demo right now, maybe later I'll play some co-op and it'll be better. So far the magic of RE4 just isn't there imo.

This sounds bad :/

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have never been a RE fan, and this game isn't going to change that. However, the graphics are pretty awesome, even if there is a slow down here and there.

S1kkZ

played the single player and online co-op, very disapointing.

-awful partner ai in sp
-too much, too hectic
-no atmo at all
-controls dont feel right (like duckroll said)
-annoying blue bar on the top of the screen
-tearing from hell when you play with vga cables
-tries too hard to be resident evil 4 and doesnt even come close
-guns feel like toys, sound is awful
-shooting enemies isnt as fun and responsive as in re4
-game tries to be a shooter and fails
-realtime inventory is annoying as hell

PacoDG

I like this demo. I'm definitely not sold on the game, everything feels so damn confined (i'm not much into the RE series... in fact, the first RE game I played was the RE4 remake for Wii... so I don't know how confining the other games felt).

OpinionatedCyborg said:
What annoys me is that I have a Japanese account, but Gold's run out on it. And I've had problems DLing Game Demos from Japan on that account anyway... sometimes they block IPs, it seems.

Oh well, I'll wait for the inevitable torrent.

since u asked second, u can take mine after outtrigger is done with it:D

Acidote

Six hours left to be at home. I hope somebody can share his xbl account then, since most of you have probably had downloaded it by that time :).

Tain

Definitely better, from this glimpse. Dead Space had some serious variety issues though.

I like the demo. The animations have less weight to 'em, which I don't like, but this seems pretty fast and solid overall. It may not be Mikami's Resident Evil 5, but it seems like a pretty great game.

JoeFenix

SnakeX you can remove me from the list, H3RO was nice enough to lend me Xyphie's account which I will pass on in about 15 mins when i'm done dl'ing the demo.

First person to PM me gets it!

Zeliard

duckroll said:
Okay, tried the demo out. I'm not entirely impressed with the way it controls. It doesn't really feel very natural to me, and I've tried all the control schemes. It feels like they designed the game to be much more of a shooter with more enemies and closer proximity in terms of encounters, but kept the RE4 camera and animations.

That's basically how I see it. The gunplay in general just feels too archaic, partly because of how slow it controls, but mainly because of the animations. They really are lifted directly from RE4. For a game that puts so much emphasis on shooting, the actual act of shooting enemies isn't very satisfying. After playing a game like Dead Space and the extensive feedback it offers the player through its gunplay, as well as the butter-smooth controls, it's pretty jarring.

The graphics are wonderful, though, and Sheva is fun to have around (though her A.I. can be a bit shaky at times, mostly when it comes to gunning enemies down, which could have been downgraded purposefully for challenge). The camera changes when you're knocked down, getting healed, healing, etc are exquisite and add a lot to the immersion. The melee stuff feels good. I also like the general setting more than RE4's, at least so far (the environments vary, after all). It's a shame the gunplay feels so old. That's my only real beef with it.

Tain

Did it default to Type D for allyall? Is it assuming I want Type D because I'm set to English? Huuuh.

Also, I wanna say the lack of oomph is due to enemy animations more than Chris or the controls. A ton of the enemy animations are right outta RE4, as said, but they seem sped up a little, and weaker as a result.

Mohonky

Rez>You said:
I'm only just at 50% :lol
What connection and who with?

I'm with iinet ADSL2 and I'm miles from my exchange, my max download is like 500kb/s.

Dunno how hard Live is being hit but it's going 'ok,' I started downloading after you, 90% done.

Sorry for hogging Routers account. My bad. 5min tops.

I've been on a pretty big media blackout for this game, but I do have some questions if that's ok.

Is Sheva part of the single-player compaign? As in, is she a compulsory character? Or can you go it alone as Chris for the whole thing? And also, is she there for the whole game or just certain parts of it?

Oh, and is their local splitscreen co-op? Or just online?

Nisa65

duckroll said:
My final gripe is that the way you tackle both minibosses in the scenarios is pretty..... lame to say the least. You shoot them either in their weak spot or damage them a lot... then you run up to them and do some lame melee move? These guys look huge and have giant weapons and that's the best sort of tactic Chris can think of? I dunno, maybe the developers got a little too carried away with the OMG CHRIS IS SO BUFF LOOK AT THOSE 10 INCH BICEPS thing... :/

Are you talking about the chainsaw guy?, you can use the barrels to take him out quite easily and without the need for wasting precious ammo. And the covering Sheeva section was made pretty obvious by the instant call for help and the fact that you're equiped with a sniper rifle I thought.

The demo is basically the same one that was at TGS, the only difference is you don't choose your control method before you start. I didn't even realise I was strafing when I played this morning until I messed about with the options and changed to RE 4 controls. I don't think I can go back to the old RE4 control method now, configuration 4 is so much better.

My opinion of the demo hasn't changed since I played it at TGS, it's basically RE4 with a few control tweaks and shiny new graphics and that's not a bad thing in my book.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My impressions if anyone cares:

Well, I "beat" the second area, haven't managed to "beat" the first area.

Having an AI buddy is kind of annoying/distracting while I'm fighting off zombies. I'd rather play solo the first time and then co-op. (i did try co-op a couple times though, it was good).

I like the girl, nice accent.

Still has that Resident Evil feel to it, not super fast paced like other shooters.
Graphics are gorgeous, not a jaggie in sight (c'mon PS3, you can do it!). The only bad are some ugly textures from indoor objects and very minor screen tearing towards the top which isn't too distracting.

Sound is ok, sound effects are weak though.
The guns don't feel like that have much weight, or power. The rifle, machine gun, even the shotgun... they all felt weak.

So far, not as amazing as when you first played RE4.

I'll give the demo a 6.5/10. Still good. I think online co-op will be what makes the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mohonky said:
What connection and who with?

I'm with iinet ADSL2 and I'm miles from my exchange, my max download is like 500kb/s.

Dunno how hard Live is being hit but it's going 'ok,' I started downloading after you, 90% done.

Sorry for hogging Routers account. My bad. 5min tops.
ADSL1. I disconnected and reconnected and I'm already at 80% now.

Strange. I really need to look into optimising my wireless connection one of these days. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
I've been on a pretty big media blackout for this game, but I do have some questions if that's ok.

Is Sheva part of the single-player compaign? As in, is she a compulsory character? Or can you go it alone as Chris for the whole thing? And also, is she there for the whole game or just certain parts of it?

Oh, and is their local splitscreen co-op? Or just online?
Co-op throughout, compulsary. Although Capcom have been sort of dancing around the whole whether or not she'll be with you the WHOLE time thing.

The sensitivity definitley will take some getting used to. It didn't seem this slow in RE4. In fact it was a bit too fast in RE4 which if you got good made it so you can get headshots faster. Will play more.

Nisa65

The negativity in this thread is astounding, some of you should go back and play RE 4 for a bit beacasue this doesn't really play all that differently. All the control changes are for the better and whoever thinks the real time inventory system is a change for the worse is full of it.

Manager

Sorry if this has been asked before, but didn't Microsoft ban people for creating several region accounts? Or was that just a false rumour?

edit
Ah, Google says they only block downloads.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
100%. HERE WE GO KIDS!

Hark, if you want to share this account with anyone else, feel free. Thanks again.

Tain

The negativity in this thread is astounding, some of you should go back and play RE 4 for a bit beacasue this doesn't really play all that differently. All the control changes are for the better and whoever thinks the real time inventory system is a change for the worse is full of it.

Some of it (S1kkz post) is really overblown, but I've played RE4 enough to know that this is significantly faster-paced without enough retooling in the animation to make zombie shooting quite as satisfying.

Still having a great time with it, though.

N30RYU

Gold Member
Rez>You said:
100%. HERE WE GO KIDS!

Hark, if you want to share this account with anyone else, feel free. Thanks again.

Can someone share his japanese account with me?

Diuretic

Got the demo from the GAF community account. Thanks to Grimm and SnakeXs and everybody in the list who passed along the info! Since it looks like h3ro and JoeFenix already got the demo, I'm passing along the account to the next person on the list, QuantumSingularity.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's offline split-screen co-op in the demo! Fuck yeah.

Diuretic said:
Got the demo from the GAF community account. Thanks to Grimm and SnakeXs and everybody in the list who passed along the info! Since it looks like h3ro and JoeFenix already got the demo, I'm passing along the account to the next person on the list, QuantumSingularity.

Yay! I'm ready.

EDIT: Got it.

justjohn

why the hell isnt this on psn?

can someone please plant a bomb at the headquarters of scej? seriously you'll be doing gamers worldwide a huge favour.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
jesus christ so frustrating. tried to recover 2 japan tags and both of them either can't login or get disconnected while downing the demo.

Manager

Darunia said:
jesus christ so frustrating. tried to recover 2 japan tags and both of them either can't login or get disconnected while downing the demo.

I couldn't login, Connection failed. Maybe they are on full load. Went ok after a couple of tries.

Top Bottom